Characters changing positions between Arena battles?

Tanzos
219 posts Member
edited November 2018
When doing Arena battles my characters sometimes flip flop spot on the battlefield. Example:

1st Arena battle today: Bastilla in middle, Hermit front right, GMY back right, Ezra Front left, Old Been back left. (This is 99% of the time the order)

6ui0oicvxy6t.png

2nd Arena battle today: Bastilla middle, Hermit BACK right, GMY FRONT right, Ezra front left, Old Been front left.

oadhfgn0gau7.png

Why did my Yodas switch? It's really frusting when I select Hermit instead of GMY for Ezra's or Bastilla's call to assist. I know they're by height now, but 99% of the time Hermit is in front. What cause them to switch so rarely?
Post edited by Tanzos on

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    A while back they implemented a system that placed toons in positions based on height, they ate probably the same height and will be placed differently due to RNG.
  • scuba
    14040 posts Member
    Kyno wrote: »
    A while back they implemented a system that placed toons in positions based on height, they ate probably the same height and will be placed differently due to RNG.

Yeah it throws my darn Ewoks all over. annoying when used to tapping certain spots for assists.
  • Because CG thinks you’re too silly to arrange your own units so they auto arrange it for you along with some random musical chair placements every now and then.
  • That would be super annoying. Bad enough I already call the wrong yoda for an assist sometimes, and that's without them moving.
  • Kyno wrote: »

Yeah but RNG would mean the Yodas would switch evenly. GMY is 99% in the back.
  • Tanzos wrote: »

It could also be based on some arbitrary stat. Maybe you tweaked something that caused the change? There must be a reason, it's just not obvious.
  • Tanzos
    219 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    No, these were literally back to back trying to climb up before payout. Didn't change a thing. The one after was back my normal lineup too. It's happened to me a few times before but haven't posted about it because I thought it was me. But nothing changed between my three attempts.
  • Rng does NOT mean they would swap evenly,
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Tanzos wrote: »

See below
    Rng does NOT mean they would swap evenly,
  • Tanzos
    219 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    If you're using height as the deciding factor and they're the exact same height then yes it would be an even chance. It may not result in an even split but the chance is 50/50 if that's what you're claiming is correct.

I'm experiencing like a 99/1 deal here. What random number are they using that gives Hermit that 1% chance to switch to the back if they're the same exact height? Because height would not be the factor if their values are the same.

How do they determine who goes where? Are they all given a number based on height then put into position based on who has the highest number and lowest number? So let's try this:

HYoda's "height" = 1
    GMYoda's "height" = 1.5
    Ezra = 4
    Old Ben = 5

Those characters would then fit in from lowest number to the front right, second lowest to back right, third lowest to front left then tallest back left based on their height values. Assuming that's how they do, I truly don't know.

But if both Yoda's have the same height if "1" then how does the game decide who goes in which slot? Is there another criteria like "support" or "healer" designation that put Hyoda in the front? Whatever that other criteria is wouldn't (shouldn't) be a dynamic value that changes so why do they switch then?
  • Rng does NOT mean they would swap evenly,

Strictly speaking, if they don’t swap evenly, then it is NOT RNG. RNG is an equal chance for every possibility to occur.

CCyrilS is probably right; another variable at play.
  • I really don't understand why they don't just put them in a straight line at the bottom.of the screen, like they do for raids (DUH). Even with the way they set it up now, with so many buffs/ debuffs they have in game, half of the time you can't see your enemies health. (except the first ones)
    Why do they always need to complicate things and come up with something new to "fix" a problem that in the end everyone hates? Maybe the devs need to use common sense once in a while and actually communicate with your community (you know, the people that pay your salary) and ask us our ideas of what we want through, i dunno.....a poll?
    I love the game but i've never seen one run so $&>//>)_
  • Gopiquor wrote: »
    Rng does NOT mean they would swap evenly,

Strictly speaking, if they don’t swap evenly, then it is NOT RNG. RNG is an equal chance for every possibility to occur.

CCyrilS is probably right; another variable at play.

Rng May have an equal chance for whatever models you use, but in this game the rng has weighted odds. So actually there is more chance for certain outcomes then others, even tho all outcomes are possible,
  • Just let us arrange OUR OWN team. You can auto arrange the enemy team however you want CG.

• Rng May have an equal chance for whatever models you use, but in this game the rng has weighted odds. So actually there is more chance for certain outcomes then others, even tho all outcomes are possible,

Interesting... Thanks for the info!
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Odd...
    My two ideas are:
    1. A pretty solid reason would be the RNG possibilities GhostTruckin mentioned.
    2. Maybe the difference in background changed it? This one is not solid

I guess just always be looking for changes?
  • Nihion wrote: »
    Odd...
    My two ideas are:
    1. A pretty solid reason would be the RNG possibilities GhostTruckin mentioned.
    2. Maybe the difference in background changed it? This one is not solid

I guess just always be looking for changes?

The problem with the RNG idea is that Yoda's height isn't random, it's a set value. Or at least I think it is, his character model doesn't change.

The background change is a possibility of why. Hard to test that. But probably the reason.
  • I've seen my characters swap places between phase 1 of a battle and phase 2, only to revert back to the original for the final encounter.
    THE SUPREME JAWA OVERLORD!
  • "Most" of the time, my GMY is in the back bottom position and my Hermit Yoda is in the front bottom position. Once in a while they swap which really annoys my automatic conditioned response for selecting GMY for assists and attacks. But it is manageable.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    It’s happening during rancor, with the same team, on auto
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Gifafi wrote: »

That is tied to the phases and not character height. I believe the order is the same no matter the character and they just change the per phase
  • My experience is that after selecting an opponent you go to the squad select screen. If you wait for the whole screen to render you get the same order every time. However if you double click the combat button before the screen renders the last few chars tend to get swapped around. This is particularly apparent in GW and arena. The difference is a matter of a fraction of a second so I'm not surprised you are only getting the swap 1% of the time.
  • Moldrak wrote: »
    My experience is that after selecting an opponent you go to the squad select screen. If you wait for the whole screen to render you get the same order every time. However if you double click the combat button before the screen renders the last few chars tend to get swapped around. This is particularly apparent in GW and arena. The difference is a matter of a fraction of a second so I'm not surprised you are only getting the swap 1% of the time.

Wow, this is actually the reason why. Good catch. I was able to consistently replicate my Yoda's switching by entering before they're rendered.

Who would have thought it was a rendering bug?

Well done! Thank you!
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Gifafi wrote: »

That is tied to the phases and not character height. I believe the order is the same no matter the character and they just change the per phase

yeah, wasn't complaining or anything, just seemed odd. ty @Kyno
    Maybe End Game isn't for you