What is wrong with fleet arena

Prev1
KyoO1234
270 posts Member
edited November 2018
Seriously! It got worse and worse...
Fleet arena always was way to much randomized. One time you get completely destroyed by an opponent and the very next try against the same opponent using the same strategy you win without losing one single ship.

But since the last update it feels the odds are not random anymore, but clearly against you.

My observations over the last few days:
- opponents ships evade damage twice as much as identical ships on my side
- hounds tooth breach works 50%of the time for me and 90% of the time for the opponent (identical or lower level ship)
- Damage dealt by opponents ships SIGNIFICANTLY higher (even when considering capital ship effects)
- Occasionally multiple attacks and stun effects by opponent without apparent reason
- Counter attacks of own ships not triggered

I could go on and on... at this point it is getting ridiculous. Fleet arena is making me want to quite the game for good.

Please dear developers: Reduce at least the impact of chance. At this point I feel like i am just rolling a dice and have to get a 6 to win.
Post edited by Kyno on

Replies

• Vendi1983
    5023 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Interesting thing I've noted: I stun Vader with Silencer, Biggs does his special to call an assist, Vader un-stuns and assists. Nowhere in Biggs'ability does it mention cleansing the assisting ally.
  • You're not on your own. I've often wondered this and almost Rage quite a number of times. The AI is so unbalanced in Ships and for no real reason. My ships rarely land status effects yet get debuffed regularly it's infuriating.

The other night, TIE Pilot used his special against my Geo Spy. Spy had full health and a 1/3 of protection but TIE wiped him out in one hit. HOW? He wasn't buffed, My Spy is a G11 7* fully maxed ship so that's just not right. My G12 Fully maxed TIE has NEVER managed anything like that hit on me. If I hadn't have snatch victory from the jaws of defeat on that battle I think it would have been the end for me. It's happened once to often and now I only play the One fleet battle to complete my dailies.

I seldom like to complain about games but Ships is unfairly balanced, always has been and is no fun.
  • TVF
    36569 posts Member
    Oh this thread again.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Odd - I have a very high success rate (lose maybe once a week), and that's usually only due to a horrible string of RNG. It helps to have ships that don't rely on chance (TL outside of Vader hello) as well as being able to force the AI into certain moves that give you an advantage.

Weird "bugs" can often be attributed to not fully understanding all the factors at play.
    For instance, HT vs HT. If your Houndstooth goes first (you mentioned your ship being stronger), you're hitting the opposing HT while it still has a tenacity buff. By the time his ship goes, you have taunt and so lose the tenacity boost. Boom there's your Breach success rate.
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • Vendi1983 wrote: »
    Interesting thing I've noted: I stun Vader with Silencer, Biggs does his special to call an assist, Vader un-stuns and assists. Nowhere in Biggs'ability does it mention cleansing the assisting ally.

Without more details, I can't tell you exactly what's happening, but turn order here would be Silencer - Vader - Biggs. The stun is just expiring.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    If you look at the data you collected to get those percentages you will see that as you get a correctly sized sample it works out fairly evenly. That's how statistics works. (The last few days is not a statistically relevant term for sample size.)
  • Vendi1983
    5023 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Vendi1983 wrote: »

Without more details, I can't tell you exactly what's happening, but turn order here would be Silencer - Vader - Biggs. The stun is just expiring.

However; Vader is clearly stunned when Biggs starts his attack. In squad arena, a character only un-stuns when cleansed or when it's actually their turn, regardless if someone else has 100% TM and RNG lets that someone else go first.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    KyoO1234 wrote: »
    My observations over the last few days:
    - opponents ships evade damage twice as much as identical ships on my side
    - hounds tooth breach works 50%of the time for me and 90% of the time for the opponent (identical or lower level ship)
    - Damage dealt by opponents ships SIGNIFICANTLY higher (even when considering capital ship effects)
    - Occasionally multiple attacks and stun effects by opponent without apparent reason
    - Counter attacks of own ships not triggered

Evasions are always seen as yo the opponents side, but track the data and see if that's the case. Most likely it's just confirmation bias.

HT has extra tenacity when not taunting, if you target him, it is not likely to stick, or if Vader is present he will reduce the tenacity of TL toons. There are other factors at play and you may want to look into that.

Damage has variations and there are many factors there too. You should provide more details and generally speaking someone will help you see what you are missing.

Multiple attacks/stuns/ counters - again. There are multiple ways things like this can and cant happen all based on the situation, more details can help us help you.
  • Trystan: believe me, I look at all factors (buffs, rebuffs, specials, Capital ship impacts etc. pp.

It still simply doesn’t add up. I could start doing a deep dive analysis tracking all stats and results in a spreadsheet.
    But bottom line is that without any other apparent chance my success rate has dropped from the winning 80% to loosing 80% of the time.
    I would not call that a statistically normal standard deviation.
  • Vendi1983 wrote: »
    Vendi1983 wrote: »

However; Vader is clearly stunned when Biggs starts his attack. In squad arena, a character only un-stuns when cleansed or when it's actually their turn, regardless if someone else has 100% TM and RNG lets that someone else go first.

Again, without more details, I can't be sure, but if what you're saying is true, it may just be a visual glitch. Happens with stealth sometimes too. Biggs should pretty much never be going before Vader, setting aside TMR shenanigans.
  • Only time I get crushed is when I have a bit of "good" luck and Geonosian Spy dodges the first attack. That leaves Geonosian Soldier without stealth, which means multi-attacks target him first for some reason. It happens about a quarter of the time when facing non-Geonosians, and almost never when facing other Geonosians (which makes sense, considering Spy has a 25% dodge rate), but interestingly when it happens and he dodges, it almost ALWAYS follows that Soldier gets pounded.

Again, though, that makes sense since there's a targeting algorithm that would mean that outcome is likely each time.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Same Vader Biggs problem here
  • "2% dodge"
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • starplatinum
    170 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Fleet is definitely full of surprises!.. Today i called in cassian (my 3rd reinforcement), my vader took directly a turn and then my cassian did.. i've never seen that before.
  • Fleet is definitely full of surprises!.. Today i called in cassian (my 3rd reinforcement), my vader took directly a turn and then my cassian did.. i've never seen that before.

If the enemy team has Kylo's Command Shuttle then reinforcements lose turn meter.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • TVF
    36569 posts Member
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    "2% dodge"

"Track your numbers over a relevant sample size."

I haven't seen a single ship dodge other than ITF or Spy in the last week or so.
  • Continued to observe and still think fleet arena is broken. If you play with Genosian fleet you might not realize because they are very op now...

I looked very closely at all active effects, synergies, damage, defence, health etc. and it just does not make sense. My maxed out HT now seems to be even weaker and my maxed out TS hardly makes a dent into Sun Fac’s ship...

If the numbers don’t add up it has to be chance. But then why are the odds stacked against me. Enemy ships evade (especially when using a high damage attack) and I can be happy if my ITF dodges 25% of the time...
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Continued to observe and still think fleet arena is broken. If you play with Genosian fleet you might not realize because they are very op now...

I looked very closely at all active effects, synergies, damage, defence, health etc. and it just does not make sense. My maxed out HT now seems to be even weaker and my maxed out TS hardly makes a dent into Sun Fac’s ship...

Sun Fac's ship has +60% defense when taunting, and receives +30% crit avoidance with 2 other geonosian allies. Did you consider this?

• Just defeated Geo trio under Tarkin within 60 seconds of payout. They're not as OP as many make them out to be. Just need to strategize.

KRU stuns Sun Fac, Vader TL on him next. Biggs assist if able, if not basic, normally dead by the next move or two anyway. Move on from there.

HT as a reinforcement as well. The full gamut of "OP/Broken Ships 2.0"
  • Your ships not counter attacking is really very noticeable fairly common and extremely frustrating.
    I find silencers stun often doesn't work also when it should
  • Yeah not sure Geo's are broken. I target them. They are extremely slow and you can often kill one before they move. Even with HT + SF reinforce they are beatable. If they get a lucky string of assists/crits they can sometimes instagib my Biggs, but usually he lasts until super.
  • TVF
    36569 posts Member
    CurryBeans wrote: »

The fact that it can be resisted doesn't mean it isn't working when it should.
  • Lots of claims in this thread, not a lot of support for any of them. Here is my suggestion.

Easiest claim to track is that the opponent dodge rate is not equal to 2%

I normally use about 25 to 35 turns per battle, I doubt it's too dissimilar on average for others. At this rate I'd expect 1 dodge on average about every 1 and a half battles (by ships without elevated evasion stats like TFP and Geo Spy).

To determine with a .95 confidence that the actual dodge rate is different from 2% you'll only need to record on the order of 2000 turns to detect an effect size of 3% (i.e. the true doge rate being over 5% rather than 2%). If you want to go further you'll need closer to 10000 to see an effect size of 1%. But 2000 turns shouldn't be difficult for you. That should only be about 13 days of recording at 5 battles a day. Just note down the number of attacks against enemies with a quoted dodge rate of 2% and the number of dodges for each battle until your total number of attacks is a bit over 2000. You could do the opposite for your ships and test for a difference between the two distributions too but you would also want to repeat maybe 3 times.

(as an aside I didn't actually stick any of these numbers in a calculator to check but they are conservative estimates you can check them here for example http://powerandsamplesize.com/Calculators/Other/1-Sample-Binomial)

There were a lot of other things mentioned, some of them sound like bugs if they are as described to you should only need to record a single example of them occurring and submit a ticket on Answers HQ. If you do record any you could also post here and people could comment on if they notice any game mechanics that explain what you are seeing.

Likely result... a lot of wasted time and nothing left to complain about so I wouldn't bother. However there was a bug in the GW matchmaking that has been shown quite often on the forums and the response of lots of the veterans here was a pretty universal (and condescending) "git gud". So if you do record any of these things and they are legitimate problems then the devs will almost certainly take note! (eventually)

Best of luck trying to solve your ship battle problems though do consider a bit more gear or a change of lineup, maybe that might also help.
  • Fleet stuff can seem sketchy - I think it's because it wasn't flawlessly applied to the game, and there are MANY variables under the hood that we don't really have access to see at every moment. For instance, I would love to see the stats of my characters while in battle to see what their stats are while buffed / debuffed, etc.
    However there was a bug in the GW matchmaking that has been shown quite often on the forums and the response of lots of the veterans here was a pretty universal (and condescending) "git gud".

You have to love some of the demeaning things some people respond with in the face of legitimate criticism, where you often see some sort of marginalizing statement, such as: "Quit crying, it used to be even worse!". Implying that because it was worse in the past it means you have no right to criticize..
  • Well done EA! Making the already overpowered Genosian ships even more powerful (Sun Fac ignoring taunt anyone?!?!)

This is getting ridiculous.
  • TVF
    36569 posts Member
    Well done EA! Making the already overpowered Genosian ships even more powerful (Sun Fac ignoring taunt anyone?!?!)

Video citation needed.
  • Haha love it. This was my most recent fleet Battle. I wiped his FOTP with my opening three moves. I go first with Tarkin's Ion Cannons. Next he does the same move. Here's the result: (would love to see the actual odds of this happening...)

1f4c6rt1yaml.png

Zero of 4 possible debuffs on my end, 6/6 on his end. Still ended up winning but this was a bit ridiculous.
  • TVF wrote: »
    CurryBeans wrote: »

The fact that it can be resisted doesn't mean it isn't working when it should.

I thought cant be resisted was in the skill text :o oh well
  • Kokie
    1338 posts Member
    Well done EA! Making the already overpowered Genosian ships even more powerful (Sun Fac ignoring taunt anyone?!?!)

Geonosian ships are my favorite opponent......usually a 1min win