Enough being led by the nose...

2Next

Replies

• HKFactory
    374 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I’ve stuck with my droids for the longest time now, and I’ve been playing for quite some time. I don’t care about “running with the meta game” I’ve always been about just having fun.
  • StarWarsWantsTooMuch
    127 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    to be good in this game you have to follow exactly what ea/cg dictates. this year has been a very sad year for what they have dictated.

my gp rises and yes i am getting more 7* but because of the direction ea/cg has been taking release of new chars doesnt seem as fun as it used to. they said they were listening but then we continue to get the same thing of marquee/hard node. when there is places they could put that marquee character in the stores where people can get them and use them without so much force being put upon them or they could release some more marquee/talzin/wicket type events but dont seem to. we got that nice jango marquee that had decent rewards and seemed like it was a step in the positive direction but that was such a short reprive from the gimme gimme gimme process that most people only gave ea/cg short sided credit for what they have done.

the thing that i think is most disheartening is that when ea/cg said they were listening and would introduce more legendary/heroes journeys we thought it was a reprive from the gimmie gimmie gimme but they just tied those events into the marquee/hard node process to extend out the cashgrab.

in the end this strategy ea/cg is employing doesnt ruin the game and if your smart and dont gear chars you want to and wait until ea/cg shows their dictation of what you must do then you can be good in this game.
  • Boov
    604 posts Member
    Options
    TVF wrote: »
    Chewbacca is a legendary.

you don't say? who knew..
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Ugnaught wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »

Yes if you chase the meta, you will need to follow the path, but no one is forcing anyone to chase the meta.
    This is such a silly comment. That's like telling a football player : no one is forcing you to be good and try to win.

Many people are still winning just fine without Revan.

People were beating treya before that.

Triple cleans took down maul.

CLS was probably the closest thing they did to not having a minimal level of diversity in fair amount of time.

The meta is not necessary to win.
  • Options
    I share the OP's frustration, and to add to it I would say another problem is that inherently new characters need to be more powerful/useful than existing characters in order to generate interest, and as a result older characters become more and more obsolete. Should a secondary character from a quasi-canon time period be a better Jedi tank than General Kenobi?

I like a steady stream of new characters, but I think it requires more reworking of the existing ones to keep things balanced.
  • Options
    I've been playing since December 2015 and there were a ton of characters at the start that I had the choice to farm and gear up simply because I liked the character.

Well, sure, when you started out and had no 7* characters, of course there were lots of options of who to farm. If you've been playing consistently since Dec. 2015, then the new characters are probably just about the only ones you don't have at 7*.
  • Options
    Scottacus wrote: »
    I share the OP's frustration, and to add to it I would say another problem is that inherently new characters need to be more powerful/useful than existing characters in order to generate interest, and as a result older characters become more and more obsolete. Should a secondary character from a quasi-canon time period be a better Jedi tank than General Kenobi?

I like a steady stream of new characters, but I think it requires more reworking of the existing ones to keep things balanced.

great point. they could even suck up zetas during the reworks to give people options if they dont want to spend $$ every quarter to please the shareholders. i dont mind spending money occasionally but with the current system these marquee characters only have a limited time they are good because of how ea/cg releases new chars and doesnt rework them so the limited benefit has kept me from spending where i may have if there was more of a rework process to ensure chars are remain useful and fun. and those $200-$300 marquee investments they want us to make arent just a 3-4month benefit.
  • Boov
    604 posts Member
    Options
    Scottacus wrote: »
    IShould a secondary character from a quasi-canon time period be a better Jedi tank than General Kenobi?
    Why not? General kenobi can't be the best tank permanently without the game becomming stale.
    General kenobi being a raid reward character does however increase the chance of him getting a rework somewhere down the line, but he "must" be outdated before that happens.

• Options
    Unfortunately money talks and revenue is with shiny new toys, not making the old dusty ones better. The game is easier the more money that is spent. And let's face it, they are a business after all.
  • Options
    Unfortunately money talks and revenue is with shiny new toys, not making the old dusty ones better. The game is easier the more money that is spent. And let's face it, they are a business after all.

This is why I’ve always preferred games with a price/subscription fee so this isn’t optimal behavior by the developer but that world appears gone forever. And in fairness is probably impossible on a phone game.
  • Options
    That's the heart of the issue. They keep pumping more characters into the game. But why would anyone spend $200 on a random new toon unless they are over powered? So new character are consistently superior to the original characters, those who a majority of people actually want to play with.

And it effects more than just arena. In my secondary account, I've won one Galactic War in the past week, as I run into either a high power Bastila team, with jedis regaining their 200% protection every retry, or Nightsister team that I can't dent since every one of them now revives. It's less and less fun.
  • Options
    I've been playing since December 2015 and there were a ton of characters at the start that I had the choice to farm and gear up simply because I liked the character.

Well, sure, when you started out and had no 7* characters, of course there were lots of options of who to farm. If you've been playing consistently since Dec. 2015, then the new characters are probably just about the only ones you don't have at 7*.

No argument there, that’s true, but there are a ton of characters that could have been released by now without going so deep with the KOTOR snowball. EA/CG has mapped out what they want to release and when, to maximize profit.
  • Options
    We must do as the puppeteers command. Getting to the original comment tho in my opinion they should've never released characters that were involved in other games. From early on all I heard about was players complaining about this reven dude and how he needs to come to the game. Had no idea who he was and really didn't care. It just kind of sucks that the major content of the last quarter is all revolved around him. And it isn't over yet.
  • Options
    We must do as the puppeteers command. Getting to the original comment tho in my opinion they should've never released characters that were involved in other games. From early on all I heard about was players complaining about this reven dude and how he needs to come to the game. Had no idea who he was and really didn't care. It just kind of sucks that the major content of the last quarter is all revolved around him. And it isn't over yet.

Broadening your knowledge isnt too bad.
    The OR stuff should just not be game breaking overpowered and it would have been major fun. But as it is, huge ripoff off whales, mandatory farms for the rest.
  • Options
    This whole game is about being led by the nose. Either ignore it, accept it, or leave the game. You won't be happy otherwise.
  • Options
    Georgemi6 wrote: »
    As a long time player you have more options. Every meta has had an anti meta that is usually based in characters any vet should have farmed and possibly decently geared.

Yes if you chase the meta, you will need to follow the path, but no one is forcing anyone to chase the meta.

You make a fair point... no one requires you specifically to chase the meta. However, if you are in a high level guild, what is stopping them from making an ultimatum requiring you to have revan? There is not a direct authority presiding over the game as a whole, but there are many indirect forces dominating the choices you will make as a player.

I wouldn't put myself in a situation where anyone was telling me how to play a game, let alone how I should spend my money. But that's just my personal opinion.

I share that opinion, but I’m merely speaking hypothetically. Certain characters can make or break certain parts of the game for guilds, and when a guild loses enough because of the absence of said character, people grow impatient and leave. Then that makes everyone unhappy.

I have only ever spent money twice on this game, (two $20 shard packs to get thrawn and CLS) and that was after much reflection and calculation. Both of them were relatively cheap (in comparison with other prices) and paid off big time in the long run.

Nowadays, we have marquee characters that define the Meta for an entire week, and are then pushed aside by the next one or by a new legendary toon. Or they are mere stepping stones for that toon. Either way, the characters require incredible resources to obtain and level up, and when they are dished our every month or so, the people who enjoy collecting all of the characters feel overwhelmed and get burned out very quickly. And those who decided to choose only one of those characters are disappointed after a very limited meta time for their investment.

Again, I personally have not been very urgent in meta chasing recently; however the grind is real for those that have been.
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    mesa176750 wrote: »
    I've been playing for almost 3 years now, and I've just gone after Characters I like. I don't care if I place in the top 50 for squad arena. I'm playing SWGOH for the guild events like raids and TW/TB. Meta chasing is for rich people. I'm satisified sitting in the top 100 of my shard, and playing the game for fun. EA/CG doesn't force you into anything.

I quite like this attitude people have cause they make for easy TW wins against them. Choosing to not chase after the legendaries and hero journey's is choosing to lose on purpose. How strong would our rosters be without CLS/Revan/JTR/GMY/Chewy/Thrawn/Palp... Its good to have goals. Starting now you have so many options on what to farm which is great, even with everyone telling you to farm Phoenix, I didn't myself.

The Revan Farm is so much easier then the JTR farm too. Only issue would be like starting the game at the exact time Revan's event comes around again and people buy him and proceed to lock you out of higher rewards from arena for months, forcing you to farm for Revan just so you can break out of the top 200-500. You need Traya to be able to use sith to combat him, the only other thing that reliably beats Revan, is Revan.

Which in the end, might be the issue, because by the time you've spent all your f2p resources farming for Revan and getting him up, a new meta's come out that beats you and you realise you've spent months farming a character that gets beaten easily and holds worse on defence :D
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    We had about a 9 month break with no new legendaries/hj requiring specific factions or characters. People complained about that too because it was “too many marquees” and asked for different types of events instead. And chewie didn’t even require farming new characters for those that have been playing long enough.

Requiring farming and/or gearing of characters you might not otherwise have worked on (if you want to participate in all the available content) is a big part of the game and always has been. Before there were a lot of legendaries you had mods requiring specific factions to farm.

Personally, I don’t have anything I’m feeling obligated to work on right now and I’m mostly just waiting to find out what the next thing will be.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    As a long time player you have more options. Every meta has had an anti meta that is usually based in characters any vet should have farmed and possibly decently geared.

You make a fair point... no one requires you specifically to chase the meta. However, if you are in a high level guild, what is stopping them from making an ultimatum requiring you to have revan? There is not a direct authority presiding over the game as a whole, but there are many indirect forces dominating the choices you will make as a player.

I wouldn't put myself in a situation where anyone was telling me how to play a game, let alone how I should spend my money. But that's just my personal opinion.

I share that opinion, but I’m merely speaking hypothetically. Certain characters can make or break certain parts of the game for guilds, and when a guild loses enough because of the absence of said character, people grow impatient and leave. Then that makes everyone unhappy.

I have only ever spent money twice on this game, (two $20 shard packs to get thrawn and CLS) and that was after much reflection and calculation. Both of them were relatively cheap (in comparison with other prices) and paid off big time in the long run.

Nowadays, we have marquee characters that define the Meta for an entire week, and are then pushed aside by the next one or by a new legendary toon. Or they are mere stepping stones for that toon. Either way, the characters require incredible resources to obtain and level up, and when they are dished our every month or so, the people who enjoy collecting all of the characters feel overwhelmed and get burned out very quickly. And those who decided to choose only one of those characters are disappointed after a very limited meta time for their investment.

Again, I personally have not been very urgent in meta chasing recently; however the grind is real for those that have been.

If your guild is unhappy with your performance in any aspect of the game and expect you do anything other than improve as best you can then you are in the wrong guild.

Even hypothetically.

If you let other people dictate what you do for fun, you are doing it wrong.
  • Options
    There isn’t really any must have must do toons here. But as mentioned above by now numerous peeps there sort of is. Lstb, dstb- require certain toons. Sure some guilds are casual, business casual, etc. I think that’s great. But... to play this game you kind of have to be in a guild. You miss out on so much if you’re not.

Most guilds advance and want to advance. If you’re not aligned with that you may Face trying to find yourself another guild.

PVP is the money maker along with the ever needed gear.

Revan’s requiremects were really bad. They make JTR’s seem justifiable. I chose not to go after Revan, purely because of how kitten the requirements were. I cannot play during my arena payout so it didn’t really affect me as it affects others. but! with the really cool time zone change - this will change for me as well.

TLDR- you don’t have to farm anyone. But ya kinda do. And most of us all have the same toons starred and geared up.
  • Options
    By adding multiple possible meta teams the developers are giving more options, not less. My personal opinion is that the players with the top mods just switch them to whatever is new and everyone follows suit because they are bored with the old. But it's the same players at the top regardless of what "meta" means. Novelty and herd mentality.
  • Options
    Speed is still the meta, never gonna change. Chase mods not toons.
  • TVF
    36598 posts Member
    Options
    BailWritt wrote: »
    Speed is still the meta, never gonna change. Chase mods not toons.

So what's your arena team?
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    Darthv8r wrote: »
    By adding multiple possible meta teams the developers are giving more options, not less. My personal opinion is that the players with the top mods just switch them to whatever is new and everyone follows suit because they are bored with the old. But it's the same players at the top regardless of what "meta" means. Novelty and herd mentality.

revan was something like the 162nd toon ingame, but he single handedly made a whole lot of teams unable to compete for top ranks which were able to prior to his release.
    Top mods obviously help, but without traya or revan you're gonna have a hard time getting to the top5 each day, atleast on the more mature leaderboards. You'll have a hard time winning consistandly on offense and you'll drop like a brick on defense, probably up to a point where it's more expensive refreshing your arena attempts again and again than just settling for a lower rank, especially since you might not even be able to be in the top5 during your pay-out.
    So no, it's definately not only novelty and herd mentality.
  • Options
    More or less yes. What i dislike is that so many of them are one trick ponies that have no use outside of that event. The Vets for JTR for example.

It would be one thing to farm toons you had no interest in outside of that event if they add something useful to their faction (like Bossk) but most don't.
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    Options
    Gorem wrote: »
    mesa176750 wrote: »
    I've been playing for almost 3 years now, and I've just gone after Characters I like. I don't care if I place in the top 50 for squad arena. I'm playing SWGOH for the guild events like raids and TW/TB. Meta chasing is for rich people. I'm satisified sitting in the top 100 of my shard, and playing the game for fun. EA/CG doesn't force you into anything.

I quite like this attitude people have cause they make for easy TW wins against them. Choosing to not chase after the legendaries and hero journey's is choosing to lose on purpose. How strong would our rosters be without CLS/Revan/JTR/GMY/Chewy/Thrawn/Palp... Its good to have goals. Starting now you have so many options on what to farm which is great, even with everyone telling you to farm Phoenix, I didn't myself.

The Revan Farm is so much easier then the JTR farm too. Only issue would be like starting the game at the exact time Revan's event comes around again and people buy him and proceed to lock you out of higher rewards from arena for months, forcing you to farm for Revan just so you can break out of the top 200-500. You need Traya to be able to use sith to combat him, the only other thing that reliably beats Revan, is Revan.

Which in the end, might be the issue, because by the time you've spent all your f2p resources farming for Revan and getting him up, a new meta's come out that beats you and you realise you've spent months farming a character that gets beaten easily and holds worse on defence :D

Thankfully I have good mods and can beat the best Revan in my shard with my ep sith team(without Traya). It took me a month to understand and get it right but I'm about 75% win rate against my shards premier Revan and 100% against all the others but ONLY because I made mods my top priority over everything else. And now.... it's paying off tremendously thanfkully.

Oh yeah of course, if you start early on mods and get some good early ones, you'll be a force to be reckoned with against every "meta" team no matter what you use, for example when I started around Sith Marauder release, I could use him to take top 20, not that great a character but I had fun with him because my mods allowed me to beat all them Pheonix/NS teams. So EP and good mods will be able to beat them for now, its just when they get more zeta's and better mods, you best be ready to skip anyone that has his lead.

We just went up against an entire guild that had terrible mods on every single one of their characters (almost) we could 3 man their 5 g12 teams with G10 characters, CLS could solo 5 G12... so yeah, as that as an example, its surprising to me still how many neglect mods.

• Options
    It's all about what you want to get out of this game.

If you want to be number one top of the charts first person to kill everything, then, yeah, you're going to have to follow the bread crumbs that EA and CG give you. And that's totally fine, it's your choice and that's what you want, so good luck and God be with you. Life's short, follow your dreams.

I play this game because I know I've got maybe 40 years left before I'm in a hole somewhere and I need something to pass the time. I like Star Wars, and this is a genuinely fun game, so I play it. I don't concern myself with being number one top of the charts first person to kill everything because none of that really matters to me. If my guild were to say "Get Revan or get out," then I would get out and not look back. The moment I tell someone in my guild that they need a specific character or that they have to do some arbitrary amount of damage in a raid is the moment I put my phone down and walk into the ocean.

When titles came out I had a very good Resistance team that would finish reliably in the top 50 and occasionally in the top 20. I removed my entire team and used only Ugnaught for a week and plummeted as far down as 450th place (I think--someone dig through my post history, I broke it down explicitly when I did it and I'm going off memory now) so that I could win some battles with a jedi team. Within a couple days I was back to top 100. Then Treya came out and my guild can't get her yet, so I'm missing out on that and finishing............ top 100. I still use Jedi Rey's team because I like Resistance. I like them in the movies, I like how they handle in the game, and I like that I'm one of the only people left using them. I don't finish #1 because I don't care, because it doesn't matter, because none of this matters and we'll all be dead soon anyway, so just do what makes you happy and don't hurt anyone.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    Ugnaught wrote: »

This is such a silly comment. That's like telling a football player : no one is forcing you to be good and try to win.

Except no one is going to give you a multi-million dollar contract to play this game.

The more appropriate analogy is to say that its like telling a rec league softball player "No one is forcing you to be good and try to win." Which is still wrong, because if you go to a rec league softball game you'll see those people playing, and literally everyone else hates them. They're the ones that think if they just get to first base fast enough, some Giants' scout will be in the stands and sign them to the Major Leagues even though they're 45 years old and eat too many nachos.

We're all here to have a good time. For some of us that's getting together with friends and hitting a few balls while drinking lots of beer and eating lots of nachos between innings. The long and the short of it is that if you're having fun, you're "winning" the game. But it's the people who are obsessed with winning it that seem to be having the least fun.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.