We seriously need a guild rules screen

Prev1
DuneSeaFarmer
3525 posts Member
edited December 2018
I know if a guild member is 13 or younger they will NOT see messages. I understand and agree with that, plus that is required by COPPA. Now, that said, members 14+ might have messages turned off, and in some cases, I agree, as some think chats in a game are for dating, chit chat, and some are just not interested, so they turn it off. So how do I post rules to them, and expect them to see them? I can't just keep booting members that have no idea what they did or didn't do. We need a rules screen that is required to read when they join, and receive an alert if it is updated.
Example of Guild Rules Screen

Welcome to (Guild Name pulled from system)

Leader: (Guild Leader Name pulled from system)

Officers: (Guild Officer Name(s) pulled from system)

Description: We're a casual and helpful guild. All we ask is you show you are trying and we're golden!

Rules: Daily participation/contribution to raid tickets. 7 day no login COULD result in removal unless you let us know beforehand you will be away.

[ Accept / decline (results in removal) ]

Pretty straight forward. Once they accept, you have done your best to communicate your intent, and can remove as needed.

Post edited by DuneSeaFarmer on

Replies

• Lio
    1003 posts Member
    I think that'd be a cool new feature. I think that, in general, there are too few resources for guild management. It'd be nice to see, for example, contributions over the span of week, send direct messages/notifications to those members that haven't yet joined a TW or raid, and (as you suggested) have the guild rules easily accessible somewhere as a message template or something like that.
  • Lio wrote: »
    I think that'd be a cool new feature. I think that, in general, there are too few resources for guild management. It'd be nice to see, for example, contributions over the span of week, send direct messages/notifications to those members that haven't yet joined a TW or raid, and (as you suggested) have the guild rules easily accessible somewhere as a message template or something like that.

Amen.. this is a constant struggle.

• Yes! A guild rules screen and several other features mentioned here would be incredibly useful!
  • Word. Good idea
  • Amazing idea, that could solve all issues related with analfabetism .. hard to be king this days.
  • So many headaches and misunderstandings could be avoided.
  • External hyperlink serves good.
    What we really need - is a tools to motivate lazy guild members (except kick button).
    Like ability to rearrange raid prizes manually or restricted access to easy raids for those, who skipped the harder ones.
  • This is why most guild organize themselves on discord or line or some other external communication platform and only take members that will join that, so it is easy to talk to the guild and make sure people are on the same page.
  • I don't think you can turn chat off..... Just guild messages..... If you are addressing someone in chat and they aren't responding, then they are likely ignoring you.....
  • I heard a few phone or tablet platforms dont even have the chat bar in game. Not sure which ones but this suggestion would help those people also.
  • Ilya wrote: »
    External hyperlink serves good.
    What we really need - is a tools to motivate lazy guild members (except kick button).
    Like ability to rearrange raid prizes manually or restricted access to easy raids for those, who skipped the harder ones.

One can only imagine the pitchforks that would come forth giving guild leaders/officers the ability to manual restrict access to raids or reward payouts. I am a guild leader and I wouldn't want this power. Have someone who won't communicate and be a team player?... The kick (or das boot as I like to call it) button works just fine.
    SWGOH Guild: Peace Is A Lie SWGOH Profile: Boofpoof Discord: Buffpuff#3065
  • While I sort of agree it'd be nice to have, setting up a discord/line group and directing your new members to it is far more beneficial for a guild. You can post images, links to videos, and documents. There are great bots for discord to help with HSTR and other events.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • If they do not answer back in chat or cannot, and if they cannot see the chat how would you direct them to discord?
  • Yes I know for a fact chat does not work for younger profiles
  • DuneSeaFarmer
    3525 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Yes I know for a fact chat does not work for younger profiles

Yep. And if they are underage I am not directing them to any form of chat either.
  • Totally agreed
  • If they do not answer back in chat or cannot, and if they cannot see the chat how would you direct them to discord?

They may speak a different language
  • Yes I know for a fact chat does not work for younger profiles

Yep. And if they are underage I am not directing them to any form of chat either.

You do know that it’s only underage accounts that can not see chat, Everyone else can, So if folks ignore you, it’s most likely they are minors, Or, they don’t care, either way, neither are going to help you out .
  • Gair
    616 posts Member
    I don't think age would factor in a rules section as you have guild descriptions already that technically could circumvent said communication assuming it is applied similarly.
  • 3pourr2 wrote: »
    If they do not answer back in chat or cannot, and if they cannot see the chat how would you direct them to discord?

They may speak a different language

very true, and also a concern.
  • Why would any leader in game NOT want a rules screen?
  • Agreed. Forcing people to use 3rd-party programs for something so essential reeks of an unfinished or low-quality product. Not what I expected at all. People saying to "just use discord" remind me of all the ep.8 apologists who rewrite and amend the lousy script just to convince themselves that a Star Wars movie doesn't suck.

Any product that relies on outside help to sustain itself is just plain broke.
  • Require your members to use a third app like discord. Create. Channel called “rules”. Limited ability to post in it. As new member arrives, direct them to review the rules.
  • Not all casual guilds want to require 3rd party apps. People on the forums are dedicated to the game to the point that a 3rd party app is a great work around the lack of communication in the game. But some casual players who still enjoy the game would be turned off if they were forced to use 3rd party apps for guild communiques, though. The OP is suggesting a solution that at least seems reasonable. And at the same time, it doesn't seem to create a problem for those that do use 3rd party apps. I really like it as a proposal!
  • A guild rules screen / panel would be painless.

That said, I am glad that Discord exists and wouldn’t ever want to back to the days of trying to survive on in game chat.
  • kalidor
    2121 posts Member
    If they do not answer back in chat or cannot, and if they cannot see the chat how would you direct them to discord?

If they can't see chat because of a minor account, then it is highly unlikely they would be able to see this hypothetical rules screen. The reason they can't chat is because minor accounts are prohibited from any sort of social interaction with other users, and the rules screen would almost certainly fall under that category. Lawyers calling the legal shots are not likely to soften on that position just for a small QoL enhancement.
    I agree it'd be nice to have a private guild description in addition to the public one, and you'd be able to toss whatever you like in there - rules, discord link, etc. I don't really feel like making our guild discord link public, so every time someone joins we paste it into the chat along with the basic rules (saved in a text app). This would make that onboarding slightly easier, but it's not really much of an issue for us, which is why "it'd be nice" rather that a must have.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • An excellent idea.
    Guild Leader of CHAL | Member of the WWL Alliance
  • I try to see both sides of this issue, but honestly, booting people for not answering is just not acceptable. That said, the blame is on the game, and the guild interface which is so rudimentary it's barely useable. It's the focus of daily endeavors in game. It crashes the game so often when adding brown bar messages I have to wonder how it made it out of alpha testing. To be fair I do not blame the developers. I know all to well how EA is and how "being ready" is not relevant to them. EARN, EARN, EARN, can't earn? Burn it down, buy another IP rinse and repeat.