Contraband Cargo reward structure does not make sense

Replies

• Options
    Vice_torn wrote: »
    You need 7 star ships for the final tier. So why would you want ship shards? At one time you needed all 4 ftp ships (EP8 Falcon, phonix ships, and Slave 1) at 7 star to even have a chance at the final tier. In the final tier you get ship omegas, which have far more value then ship shards.

They could update the rewards low tier rewards include newer ship shards I guess.

95 shard shop currency > 1 reinf mat
  • Options
    @Kyno i can easily finish the highest Tier. But i do not have the Falcons at 7* yet. So in a way i am forced to underperform. This should not be the ethic of the Game.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    OldBen wrote: »
    Kyno i can easily finish the highest Tier. But i do not have the Falcons at 7* yet. So in a way i am forced to underperform. This should not be the ethic of the Game.

How are you forced? The falcon is farmable elsewhere.

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    DuneFlint wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    Austin9370 wrote: »
    When the reward structure is controversial, it means they messed up...

Have you met the forum? Everything is controversial.

While I don't disagree with the forum sentiment, historically there hasn't been an issue with determining which rewards are greater. The highest tier is always better. Everyone does the highest daily challenges because of this.

The higher tier in this event is also better. You get more of the materials that are hard to get elsewhere.

Players wanting to put the last tier on farm when they dont have all the ships that are rewarded at a lower stage doesnt mean that the higher stage is lacking. The rewards are higher.

I disagree. It is not clear that the rewards are better on the highest tier. You have to choose a chance at ship shards/shard currency, or more reinforce/ship omegas. For some the chance at lando shards may be a better reward. In other events where the top tier doesn't award shards the attempts are not shared so you don't actually jave to decide between mats or shards.

Choosing different rewards, doesnt make them better. I would rather have ship materials, that doesnt devalue the ship shards.

I'm confused, my reply was to you specifically saying the rewards on this highest tier are better. But, now you're countering my statement that it's not clear they're better by sayng they're just different. OP's issue seems to be with the 2nd tier having more attractive rewards for them and many others - which i agree with.

The last tier is better, nothing that is removed cant be farmed elsewhere to get those better and more rare rewards. Just because players would choose to make a farm quicker and take less of a different resource doesnt make that lower their better. It is a choice.

Not every event/game mode is designed for everyone at every level to be there and always doing the max. In this case it is designed to help development and when you get to the point where you feel you dont need that development any more you also have an option and that option is better than doing the previous tier. That doesnt mean that because anyone feels like they should do the lower tier to help them develop that this is a mistake or wrong or worse, that is the choice they make to help them farm. That's the choice and personal perspective that anyone can apply to the event, but in no way makes the design wrong. End game players (which is somewhere we will all be down the road) do the highest tier, I dont see anyone choosing to do the lower tier to get less ship mats and extra shard shop currency.
  • Options
    +1 It makes no sense! I rather do the tier with shards than the last one. If you have players than can max out the stars and yet they choose to do the other tier, then you mesed up the rewards!
  • Options
    Everyone is looking at this wrong.

Getting Lando's Falcon shards from the second to last tier is of marginal utility anyway. You still need to farm the fleet node for Young Lando to max him to 7 stars.

If you get a bunch of shards from the event, you'll just end up shard shopping a bunch later on.

And ship omegas are very rare and limited- the Deadly Tier is well worth completing if you can, over the earlier tier.
  • Options
    Vice_torn wrote: »
    You need 7 star ships for the final tier. So why would you want ship shards? At one time you needed all 4 ftp ships (EP8 Falcon, phonix ships, and Slave 1) at 7 star to even have a chance at the final tier. In the final tier you get ship omegas, which have far more value then ship shards.

All 6 current cargo ships are FTP to 7*.
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • Options
    Yes , that's why I don't do the top tier, I rather have a chance to get Falcon shards than a feelw extra ability material...
  • Options

While I don't disagree with the forum sentiment, historically there hasn't been an issue with determining which rewards are greater. The highest tier is always better. Everyone does the highest daily challenges because of this.

The higher tier in this event is also better. You get more of the materials that are hard to get elsewhere.

Players wanting to put the last tier on farm when they dont have all the ships that are rewarded at a lower stage doesnt mean that the higher stage is lacking. The rewards are higher.

I disagree. It is not clear that the rewards are better on the highest tier. You have to choose a chance at ship shards/shard currency, or more reinforce/ship omegas. For some the chance at lando shards may be a better reward. In other events where the top tier doesn't award shards the attempts are not shared so you don't actually jave to decide between mats or shards.

Choosing different rewards, doesnt make them better. I would rather have ship materials, that doesnt devalue the ship shards.

I'm confused, my reply was to you specifically saying the rewards on this highest tier are better. But, now you're countering my statement that it's not clear they're better by sayng they're just different. OP's issue seems to be with the 2nd tier having more attractive rewards for them and many others - which i agree with.

The last tier is better, nothing that is removed cant be farmed elsewhere to get those better and more rare rewards. Just because players would choose to make a farm quicker and take less of a different resource doesnt make that lower their better. It is a choice.

Not every event/game mode is designed for everyone at every level to be there and always doing the max. In this case it is designed to help development and when you get to the point where you feel you dont need that development any more you also have an option and that option is better than doing the previous tier. That doesnt mean that because anyone feels like they should do the lower tier to help them develop that this is a mistake or wrong or worse, that is the choice they make to help them farm. That's the choice and personal perspective that anyone can apply to the event, but in no way makes the design wrong. End game players (which is somewhere we will all be down the road) do the highest tier, I dont see anyone choosing to do the lower tier to get less ship mats and extra shard shop currency.

Kyno don't defend CG just for the sake of defending them. I ,like you, defend CG a lot because I understand their mindset with most things. However on this I have to agree that the rewards are not great. I too do the last to final battle so that I can get shard shop currency. You are simply getting more on that second to last battle than you are in the last battle overall. I am end game too and I have in a real tough golden eyeball crunch so of course I want as much shard shop currency as I can get so that I can farm that piece among others.
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    Options
    Recently started a poll about this: https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/comment/1708973#Comment_1708973

So far, its pretty even with who does what. Its confused me since this event began, not only can we not just sim it yet (And it keeps putting the wrong capital in it for some reason when I do the fights) but for some reason they nerfed the top tier rewards by removing shards, but adding some really easy to gain outside of this currency.

You really saying that by now you've not levelled all your relevant ships abilities to max? I've always been hitting the 2nd to last tier and I still have >40 of the omega's lying about with nothing to use them on yet. Yet alone the other currency that I won't be using for a long time.

Meanwhile the 2nd tier gives me new ships and unlocks them to be higher stars, and every now and then gives me free gear from the shard shop. Gear+new ships or a tiny extra amount of currency that means nothing in the long run?

My choice is pretty obvious :p
  • Options
    I agree that it would be nice to have ship shards on the final tier - especially the harder to get cargo ships that aren't in the lower tiers. 1-2 shards of Hound's Tooth is worth 15 of Slave 1 or the Phoenix ships. It would be worth maybe 3 - 5 of Lando's **** except you still have to farm Lando from the same node, so since you're gonna be farming the node for Lando whether you get the **** shards or not, it's back up to 10-15 of Lando's ****. Having 1-2 HT shards, then would be a fine replacement for the lost 5 shards of lesser cargo ships.

But, as much as I'd appreciate that, I actually don't see the highest tier as a step down. I'm consistently doing the highest tier and find it to my advantage to get the extra prestige and ship omegas. Maybe you don't. Maybe you prefer the shards. That's fine. Follow your strategy & see how it works for you.

In the meantime, I'd just like to point out that the bit about how historically the top tier has always been best? Yeah, that's not true. A LONG time ago the higher tiers of daily challenge didn't include all the gear from the lower tiers of the daily challenge. The idea was that you'd get to a point where you didn't need them anymore. For most gear pieces that was true, but not all, and people complained here because of it. They ended up changing the Daily Challenges rewards to incorporate all lower-tier gear at each higher tier.

So while I think that the last tier is still a step up, I'm not entirely sure why shards aren't included (even if only for **** currency) and if y'all want to complain, I say go for it. It's no skin of my back and who knows? You might even get EA/CG to give me more rewards on my next Cargo mission.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

Kyno don't defend CG just for the sake of defending them. I ,like you, defend CG a lot because I understand their mindset with most things. However on this I have to agree that the rewards are not great. I too do the last to final battle so that I can get shard shop currency. You are simply getting more on that second to last battle than you are in the last battle overall. I am end game too and I have in a real tough golden eyeball crunch so of course I want as much shard shop currency as I can get so that I can farm that piece among others.

Not defending anyone. The event is a great setup that has development in mind. I wish more events were like this.

You get shard shop currency and less rare materials.

I have more than enough sources of shard shop currency and I would think anyone who has all the ships farmed to 7* would be in the same place.

Players getting hung up on being able to beat the last tier but needing the rewards from a previous tier are missing the point IMO. I could be wrong, but the point of these new events is focused on development not just beating it and moving on. But utilizing the event like a tool to help you develop.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Noxhaven wrote: »
    They seem to be setup to allow players to build up to the final tier.

Once you have all the ships. No need to do anything but the top tier, so they bump up the rewards on the top tier.

Makes sense to me. They wouldn't want the lower tier to be too low a reward structure, but if you have the ships the top tier is nicer.

Also if they had shards in the top tier they would go to the shard shop which currently has nothing directly for ships, they made this event just for ships.

Iv cleared all the tiers and lack 7* on 3 of the ships rewarded at the tough (g10+) tier. Ghost, Phantom and the EP 7 Falcon. Do you see the issue?
    Your false dilemma is just a silly attempt to derail the threads topic. The statement that we have all the ships at the deadly tier so the rewards would go the shard store is simply false.

Today i did one deadly tier and got 4 omegas. After i did one tough tier and got 3 omegas and 5 ship shards worth 500 fleet currency or aprox 15x20=300ish energy.
    Again, do you see the issue? For me both tiers give about the same payout value.

Your lack of objectivity, disturbing it is.

m4a4koikk7mo.png

I never said you should or would have all the ships at 7* by the time you can complete it.

What I am saying is beating the event and moving on like events of the past is not the point.

Use the event to develop and then still have something to look forward to after you develop fully. Unlike say the omega event.
  • Options
    I have more than enough sources of shard shop currency and I would think anyone who has all the ships farmed to 7* would be in the same place.

This. I have more than enough sources for shard shop currency. The extra 10 reinforcement materials are much more desirable.
  • AlteredCarbon
    101 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    My point in all this is that the reward structure for Contraband Cargo is incongruous with all other equivalent resource event reward structures in this game in that there is not a clear, unequivocal better tier out of the top 2 tiers and that is simply wrong as players have to decide between two incomparable sets of rewards. Gorem’s poll and numerous forum and Reddit threads demonstrate this entirely artificial dichotomy and the frustration this generates. To me it makes little sense .
  • Options
    Sounds like you're saying they should remove the ship shards from the earlier tiers. That way it wouldn't be "incongruous with all other equivalent resource event reward structures in this game" since none of the challenges, credit heist, smuggler's run, training droid heist, or fleet challenges offer shards either.

I kind of thought the shards were a nice way for folks to build up to the final tier but I'm ok with your proposal to remove them.
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    Options
    jhbuchholz wrote: »
    Sounds like you're saying they should remove the ship shards from the earlier tiers. That way it wouldn't be "incongruous with all other equivalent resource event reward structures in this game" since none of the challenges, credit heist, smuggler's run, training droid heist, or fleet challenges offer shards either.

I kind of thought the shards were a nice way for folks to build up to the final tier but I'm ok with your proposal to remove them.

Or do what they did before and simply put the shards into the last tier so its 100% the better tier as its the last tier, and there would be no argument or discussion. Where did you get your conclusion from what he said? lol.

The precedence set is that they want us doing the highest tier without contest, however in this case the highest tier is not always the best choice, so the best way to fix it is to simply improve the higher tier. Slap on one or two HT shards to the highest tier and it would be the one everyone strives for, give you actual focus on getting your contraband ships up to snuff so that they can complete the highest tier. Atm its like, you get strong enough for the 2nd to last tier and that's it, you just farm that forever and then realise by the time you can do the last tier, you don't need anything it gives and the shards are still better. its a game about resource management, you don't need reinforcement mats for ships you never reinforce with, you cap out that quickly. Plus Energy gives you them regardless, whereas shards are still harder to come by.

• Kokie
    1338 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    All I get from any of these events anymore is shard shop currency so I for one am very glad to see an event that reflects the greater need for more advanced players while still having tiers that benefit everyone no matter their level. This argument that shards are worth more is irrelevant as you have the choice to do exactly that. I wish every event was remodeled this way
  • Options
    Kokie wrote: »
    All I get from any of these events anymore is shard shop currency so I for one am very glad to see an event that reflects the greater need for more advanced players while still having tiers that benefit everyone no matter their level. This argument that shards are worth more is irrelevant as you have the choice to do exactly that. I wish every event was remodeled this way

And that is how the daily challenges were structured...until CG realised that is was both nonsensical to have the most sought-after rewards in anything other than the most challenging tier and annoyed the majority of the players, which it absolutely did. They even said this in their explanation for shaking it all up IIRC.
  • Options
    In my eyes every tier up should add
    rewards. I was reading all the arguments carefully and still think it makes no sense to take away the ship shards in the highest tier. It should be like here:
  • Options
    sdfx92oz4vny.png
  • Options
    I have to jump to Kyno's defense for once. There are very few events that are real end-game material, and this is one of them. What he was simply saying is: if you have already all the dark and light side ships that you want at 7* after over 3 years of daily playing, what rewards would REALLY benefit you best as last tier? I would tend to agree with what they have provided, albeit I would have put maybe an extra "character" reward such as a zeta or an omega to make it DEFINITELY preferable. Still, I can understand why they would be hesitant to mix ship-only rewards with omega/zeta rewards.
  • Options
    I just completed the highest tier today and was also underwhelmed by the rewards, going from 3 to 4 omegas isnt that great (even of they say theres a miniscule chance of 5or6). I would be better off with Finn Falcon shards or shard shop currency. It is also a shame that they haven't added Hounds Tooth to the rewards, but im sure theyre tracking data and will change it 3-4months after we've already informed them of the issue

How did you beat the final tier? Even with a G11/12 across the board I'm getting smoked.
  • Options
    Dryff wrote: »

How did you beat the final tier? Even with a G11/12 across the board I'm getting smoked.

Use Thrawn as fleet commander and Slave 1 as reinforcement. Presuming you don't yet have Lando's Falcon or Hound's Tooth at 7 star. Target Reaper first and then Tie Advanced.

Then it is just a grind fest of working toward Thrawn Ultimate and hopefully AoE'ing down the Ties that remain.

Was a real pain to complete when I just had Ghost, Phantom, **** (VII) and Slave 1. Got easier once I got LMF to 7 for another reinforcement. Today I was able to use HT and it was cake. Yay me!

• Options
    3* today with HT, Ghost, Phantom II, Slave 1 (as reinforcement). Thrawn lead. Didn't lose anyone, even to Tarkin ultimate.
  • Options
    I've been doing the last tier pretty much since it came out with ghost, phantom, ep 7 falcoln, and slave one. I've considered doing the lower tier for lando's falcoln but the only use I really have for lando's falcon is to beat that event and I can already do that. And you're way more likely to get the 4 ships I already have then the one I need anyway. Once my ht is 7 stars, I'll be able to auto it most likely and they'll be no reason to even consider the lower tier.
  • Options

The real situation is, once you are "end game" for this event, meaning you have all the ships, are you going to do anything other than the last tier. No.

The tiers are designed to build up the players, until you reach a point, then you move on to the higher tier. Wanting to do the higher tier before you have fully developed doesnt mean the top tier is worse. It's meant for different levels of players

If the ship omega drops were more than a 1 increase it may be worth it. But as rng almost never gives you more than 1 ship omega above the lower rank, the shards that convert to gear are more meaningful to my needs, a player closer to end game.
  • Options
    Obi1_son wrote: »
    If the ship omega drops were more than a 1 increase it may be worth it. But as rng almost never gives you more than 1 ship omega above the lower rank, the shards that convert to gear are more meaningful to my needs, a player closer to end game.

Fair, but it's not just 1 ship omega. It's at least 1 ship omega, 5 reinforcement mats, 5 cap ship ability mats, and 50k ship building currency.
  • AlteredCarbon
    101 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I used to do 1 x Deadly (top tier) and 1 x Tough (penultimate tier) to get a mix of shards and ship materials. With the OTMF event coming up I'm now doing 2x Tough to try to get Lando's **** shards. Got 5 today so definitely worth it. Put simply the penultimate tier for me is more valuable than the top tier. Surely this is not what CG intended for any materials event with progressive difficulty?
This discussion has been closed.