Too many required teams.

Prev1
Kailen
90 posts Member
edited July 8
This is getting obscene. Anyone trying to get into the game now is going to be facing a dauntless task of obtaining nearly a dozen required teams for other toons before they can actually make their OWN teams to enjoy the game. Every time you hide another unit behind another required team, it just sets every player that much further back from being able to do what they may WANT to do. You've shut down any attempt at flexibility and creativity by telling people "no, you MUST grind these units instead."

Look at the units required right now (All, of course, need to be 7*'d):
  • Emperor Palpatine - 5 Rebel units
  • Thrawn - 5 Phoenix units (out of 6)
  • R2-D2 - 5 Empire units
  • BB-8 - 5 First Order units
  • Chewbacca - 5 Bounty Hunter units
  • Grand Master Yoda - 5 Jedi units
  • C-3PO - 5 Ewok units (out of 7)
  • Padme Amidala - 5 Separatists (out of 12)
  • Commander Luke Skywalker: Luke Skywalker (Farmboy), Princess Leia, R2-D2, Stormtrooper Han, Obi-Wan Kenobi (Old Ben)
  • Jedi Training Rei: Rey (Scavenger), Finn, BB-8, Veteran Smuggler Han Solo, Veteran Smuggerl Chewbacca
  • Jedi Knight Revan: Bastila Shan, Jolee Bindo, T3-M4, Mission Vao, Zaalbar
  • Darth Revan: Bastila Shan (Fallen), Canderous Ordo, Carth Onasi, HK-47, Juhani
  • Darth Malak: Jedi Knight Revan, Darth Revan. 4 Chars from each of their requirements. All at 17500+ GP.
  • Han's Millennium Falcon (Han Solo (Raid), Chewbacca (event)): Hound's Tooth (Bossk), Slave One (Boba Fett), Xanadu Blood (Cad Bane), IG-2000 (IG-88). ("Requires four Bounty Hunter ships", these are currently the only four.)
  • Chimera (Thawn): Rebel ships.
  • Rebel Officer Leia Organa (LS TB) - Hoth Rebel Soldier, Captain Han Solo
  • Imperial Probe Droid (DS TB) - Colonel Starck, General Veers, 3 Imperial Troopers (of 5) - Now added to GTB shop.
  • Wat Tabor (DS GTB) - Genosian Brood Alpha, Genosian Soldier, Genosian Spy, Poggle the Lesser, Sun Fac. 16500+ GP per char


That's 14 teams of 5 characters or ships each, sometimes generic, sometimes specific. As well as some specific characters, and ships. And while there is some overlap (Phoenix has 2 Jedi, JKR has two Jedi, etc.), for the most part you are having to grind almost fifty characters, just to get the specific characters in the game. Which means if you want to just focus on teams for FUN, but want to actually collect the characters available, your priority to enjoy the game is going to be pushed back a year or more.

That's far, far too many teams to force players down. You have over 165 characters in the game, and 2/3 are rendered moot because players have to wait so long before even attempting to get them.

Players should be able to go after the characters and teams they WANT, ones that appeal to them. Ones that amuse them. Not being forced down team after team after team of endless grinding for the powerful meta chars. Especially not down so many.

It should also be noted that a lot of the newer characters are significantly harder to get than the older ones. Palpatine and Yoda, for example, can be earned fairly easily with mediocre teams. Whereas Chewbacca, C-3P0, and Padme generally need to have seriously geared teams, and usually with specific characters in mind for them. Just having any random grouping isn't enough, unless you get godly RNG which you simply cannot rely on.

Even more, they've started adding GP requirements as well. It's not enough that you have the characters, and have that decently geared. You can no longer float by with 2-3 high powered characters hoping to pull the rest along (not that that's been viable for most recent events). Everyone needs a specific gear requirement to reach.
Post edited by Kailen on

Replies

  • Ultra
    3963 posts Member
    Nobody is forcing you to farm them all. Play at your own pace.

    There is something for everybody

    You like ewoks? Worked hard on them? You get C3PO!
    You love playing Bounty Hunters and have been collecting and gearing them? Chewbacca
    So you like the characters from Star Wars Rebels? Thrawn
    You like Jedi? Have Yoda

    etc.
  • Gair
    521 posts Member
    You sir are describing the difference between P2W and F2P. Nothing technically prevents you from doing what you are suggesting. Fruitless as it may be.
  • Kyno
    21722 posts Moderator
    No one is forcing you to do anything. HJ events are the only one that is a forced to be exactly those units. many of those event have crossover due to just being a general faction.

    it can feel like a daunting task to plan out a path you want to take but it can be done.

    take your time and play to have fun, no one will make you take any path you dont want to.
  • To the extent this is a lament for newer players, I sympathize. When I started, the only legendaries were Yoda and Palpatine, and there were no Journey events. I do wonder about the new player experience, and whether there’s adequate on-boarding to help people prioritize the farms that are actually going to get them to their goals.

    As a veteran player, my roster has matured with the game, so it isn’t a problem for me personally. But I do feel much more of an urge than I think a lot of my guild mates do to farm non-meta teams for fun. So I do wish I got more use out of my lesser-used but much-loved lower tier of toons. With any luck, Grand Arena will give them something to do.
    I demand Grand Arena Elo ratings.
  • We can now add four BH ships to the every growing list of required grinding.

    And then they complain that all the teams look the same. Yea, you keep requiring so many teams nobody is allowed to diversify and get "fun" teams anymore.
  • Waqui
    5877 posts Member
    It's a game. I'd seriously reconsider my gaming if, like you, I didn't just do what was most fun for me. If unlocking the Falcon isn't fun for you - simply don't.
  • Tanzos
    193 posts Member
    edited January 18
    I actually agree with the OP. I've been playing since the beginning and it was nice to go my own route in terms of farming choices and not feel left behind because of it.

    However today there are so many "required" characters being added to get the most iconic fan favorite characters that I can understand how difficult it is just to keep up.

    You guys are saying just have fun with the game, no one is forcing you to farm the required characters, but to get certian characters that may be your favorite it's an extremely tall task. Not impossible, but a really tall task. For someone that hasn't played since the beginning that can be a real turn off for a mobile game.

    I have just about every character farmed up to 7* that isn't a recent release, so I farm newer characters with 100% effort and it still becomes a daunting task to stay within the curve of the game.

    For many of us it's manageable, but for newer players, I can definitely understand the frustration. Especially when everything comes out on 1 hard node, farming becomes exponentially more annoying the more characters you have to still farm.
  • Lets be real here, they are trying to make every faction equally dominant, and thus a player might not need to catch em all. And imo, its almost working.

    As a 3 year old game, you cant actually say that they should have lesser content than this. Or that they should slow down the release of more toons that require 5 others to get.

    The only problem i see is that none of the earlier crunch is getting easier. Heck, farming the toons is getting arguably more difficult with lesser nodes to farm em on. Bad game design at its finest, and the only thing to complain about imo.
  • Sometimes I wonder at the amount of belief that running before walking is appropriate.

  • Waqui
    5877 posts Member
    Lets be real here, they are trying to make every faction equally dominant, .....

    I don't believe you're right.

  • I suppose I should also count Stark, Veers, and Imperial Troopers for the Imperial Probe Droid, and their counterparts for the LS TB.
  • I started 6 weeks ago, I didn’t realize that the only thing I should’ve done was farm Phoenix. Instead of starting me with crappy toons, if I am required to have the Phoenix team to be competitive and do anything, just give them to me. I’ll never invest money in the game because I would have to spend hundreds to just do what I want to do and have fun. It’s great that I was able to 7* Phasma quickly, but the rest of the FO team will take months to farm. Then in Galactic War store, Phasma is still there. She’s maxed, replace her in the store.
  • Kailen
    90 posts Member
    And another required team, the rest of the Old Republic toons. Though everyone knew this was coming.
  • I fell into this trap. CLS. JTR. Chewie. Falcon. Revan. 3P0. Now Darth Revan.

    I have everything but Darth Revan, but around the time Carth and Juhani became farmable I said, "enough". I keep looking at other teams getting neglected or left by the wayside because it's just one meta farm after another. Will I get Darth Revan? Probably on the second time around, like I did with Revan. We'll see. But I'm tired of feeling like I'm being told what I must farm, and constantly having a new farm introduced right after I finish the last one.
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • Kailen
    90 posts Member
    That's the worst part of it. Some of the teams are "the new meta". Ones that you basically have to have or you're sunk. And you can't always tell ahead of time which those are going to be. Certainly can't tell which they are going to be in time to farm them the first time around. You have to be pre-farming the characters months in advance to have a chance. And that's just more time you're NOT playing the teams you WANT to play.
  • That's what this game is
  • Kailen
    90 posts Member
    And here we are again on the wild ride.

    The new Meta breaker, Darth Malak. Requires two legendary characters of its own, Jedi Knight Revan and Darth Revan. A new OP char that required that you panic farm all the other new characters they've been releasing.

    Is there anyone still going to defend EA with this? Absolutely forcing players down one specific path? Why even HAVE all the other characters in this game if EA doesn't want you to use anything by their specific meta of the week. Even worse, when people do start using something else, EA goes and buffs the meta they WANT you to use to make it even more powerful.

    This is far, far too much. Let people play the game the way they WANT to play it.
  • Kailen wrote: »
    And here we are again on the wild ride.

    The new Meta breaker, Darth Malak. Requires two legendary characters of its own, Jedi Knight Revan and Darth Revan. A new OP char that required that you panic farm all the other new characters they've been releasing.

    Is there anyone still going to defend EA with this? Absolutely forcing players down one specific path? Why even HAVE all the other characters in this game if EA doesn't want you to use anything by their specific meta of the week. Even worse, when people do start using something else, EA goes and buffs the meta they WANT you to use to make it even more powerful.

    This is far, far too much. Let people play the game the way they WANT to play it.

    Nobody is forcing any player to play in a specific fashion or manner. A person's play style can and should be their own and their ultimate consideration. Want a laid back guild? Go for it. There are some out there that are completely casual. Want a hard-core guild because you have a competitive nature to be the very best? There's those out there too.

    The argument that players are being 'forced' down a path is ridiculous because it basically equates players into mindless drones who have no will or desire of their own. Each player has their own free will to decide what it is they want to accomplish in this game. For a while, I wanted a casual gaming experience. Then my competitive nature reared back up, so I went and found myself a bit more competitive of a guild to join. That same option is available for each and every player.

  • Kailen
    90 posts Member
    Alright, let's go ahead and end that argument once and for all.

    "You can just.. not play parts of the game!"

    Sure. You can ignore PVP. The only part of the game that actually has any dynamic quality to it. The only part that actually changes (when EA lets it). You can skip it, miss out on rewards, miss out on being able to DO the other parts of the game more efficiently.

    Hey, even better idea, you could simply not play the game at all! Then you don't have to worry about any metas.

    If you want to stay competitive, you are FORCED into a specific path by EA. You are pigeon-holed. You are not allowed to play the way you want to play.

    Let's quit trying to pretend that "choosing" to play less of the game is a viable option. Because if that's the option, then clearly the best solution is "choosing" to play none of the game what-so-ever.
  • YaeVizsla
    3077 posts Member
    Kailen, you're trying to do something a lot of people do. You're trying to win Galaxy of Heroes.

    You can't win Galaxy of Heroes. It's like trying to win D&D. It's not that kind of game. You can win a fight. You can achieve an objective. But you can't win the game.

    That said? Almost every faction has an event. There aren't a lot of teams to build that don't have an event to run them in, and even if you find one, you can use them in grand arena and territory wars.

    What's more, this game is a marathon. Not a sprint. Play long enough, and you probably will get all the event characters out at the moment whether you put your nose to the grindstone or relax.

    Eventually, you'll want to get all the event characters, sure. But that doesn't mean you have to get them all right now. Coming up, I took side trips from the events to get things I wanted regularly. Imperial troopers. Nightsisters. And they paid dividends even though they didn't get me event toons; I got more useful teams out of it. And along the way, I got the event characters, too. Some sooner than others. Heck, some are still mostly gathering dust, like my Palpatine who I'm sorely underinvested in and ends up leading a scrap team.

    Eventually, a bounty hunter team will be convenient.

    The problem here is not that there are event characters. The problem is that you're coming in trying to win a game that doesn't have a win condition.
    Still not a he.
  • It's not that he is trying to win, he's trying to feel like he has a chance. One of the most frustrating things is farming a team you like only to be stomped by a meta team. Your thought is why care about that cause it doesn't matter to you. But that's you and the way you play the game. It's not why he plays, different motivations. The sheer amount of events and requirements is insane. I should be able to get a legendary with any team I feel like using. They don't even really follow cannon so why reduce player options to earn a character. The real reason is money. Plain and simple. When at a f2p rate it would take about a year to farm some heros to 7* that's insanity. Sprint or marathon they force you to spend to speed up a game to a normal pace. If you want to add content quickly speed up the pace of the game. People enjoy new content but it seems like the only ones enjoying it are people who dump a ton of money into the game.
  • Waqui
    5877 posts Member
    Kailen wrote: »
    And here we are again on the wild ride.

    The new Meta breaker, Darth Malak. Requires two legendary characters of its own, Jedi Knight Revan and Darth Revan. A new OP char that required that you panic farm all the other new characters they've been releasing.

    Is there anyone still going to defend EA with this?

    I see no problem here. CG has their strategy and business to take care of. Some times the gate is gear - some time characters. In this case it was both characters and gear. Nothing wrong with this.
    Absolutely forcing players down one specific path?

    Noone is forced to unlock Malak.
    Why even HAVE all the other characters in this game if EA doesn't want you to use anything by their specific meta of the week.

    Squad arena is not the only game mode. There's use for plenty other characters/teams than the current squad arena META and its counters.
    Even worse, when people do start using something else, EA goes and buffs the meta they WANT you to use to make it even more powerful.

    CG recently made some bad calls here, yes.
    This is far, far too much. Let people play the game the way they WANT to play it.

    There you go. It's fixed. You can now play the game whichever way you want to.

  • Waqui
    5877 posts Member
    Kailen wrote: »
    If you want to stay competitive, you are FORCED into a specific path by EA. You are pigeon-holed. You are not allowed to play the way you want to play.

    You are allowed to play the game whichever way you choose to. However, your playstyle and choices affect your ability to compete. Claiming, that you are not allowed to play whichever way you want to play is silly. Plain and simple. Expecting to be able to win disregarding how you choose to play the game is equally silly.
    Let's quit trying to pretend that "choosing" to play less of the game is a viable option. Because if that's the option, then clearly the best solution is "choosing" to play none of the game what-so-ever.

    Feel free to choose whatever option fits your personality better. Nobody is stopping you. Let's quit pretending that anybody is forced to play the game in a specific way.

  • Waqui
    5877 posts Member
    trooper521 wrote: »
    It's not that he is trying to win, he's trying to feel like he has a chance. One of the most frustrating things is farming a team you like only to be stomped by a meta team. Your thought is why care about that cause it doesn't matter to you. But that's you and the way you play the game. It's not why he plays, different motivations.

    The OP claims, that you are forced to play the game in a soecific way. He doesn't seem to grasp, that you can play this game in many different ways.

    The OP does have a chance - disregarding wether he feels he does or not.

    When at a f2p rate it would take about a year to farm some heros to 7* that's insanity.

    If it takes a year to farm a character to 7*, then you're clearly not trying your best.
    Sprint or marathon they force you to spend to speed up a game to a normal pace.

    Spending speeds up your game, yes, but noone - noone - is forced to spend. Everyone can benefit from spending, yes, but that's not the same thing.
    If you want to add content quickly speed up the pace of the game. People enjoy new content but it seems like the only ones enjoying it are people who dump a ton of money into the game.
    I'm f2p and I enjoy new content.

  • I’m F2P, and because I chose to farm bounty hunters and Ewoks early (because I like them) I was able to get C3 & Chewie 5 and 6 starred respectively on the first round. Then had to keep farming for stars and gear to get them topped up as they were both a grind. So it’s only been a month or 2 I’ve been able to farm Kootr toons for Revan, and here the **** is coming back in a few days and I’m only at 5 stars. Now I don’t pay but I don’t slack a bit either; ALL my credits go to farming shards with rare exceptions. I accept that I’m now 3! Meta’s behind tho and will stay that way for months?, because I couldn’t have lived without C3 & Chewie. Those are the trade-offs you have to make: what do YOU want? You want it all right NOW?! Blow your paychecks then, and even then, good luck, there will always be someone better and faster with 300% Potency and 300+ speed toons that will bust your Meta team up. Don’t even mention the Falcon 🤬!
  • Kailen
    90 posts Member
    And we have another one with Padme. Also made a note, a lot of the newer ones are a lot harder to get than the older ones, requiring higher gear limits unless you have insanely good RNG. (And no, just claiming "well if can be won with good RNG" doesn't change the fact that it's a lot harder, because the earlier ones can be won WITHOUT needing lottery-winning dice rolls.)
  • YaeVizsla
    3077 posts Member
    So if someone uses very high gear and zetas or an ideal lineup, you get to say you need G12 and zetas. If someone uses an older lineup with less gear and zetas by understanding the event and the strategy at work, you get to dismiss them by saying they got lottery winning dice rolls.

    That's a lovely way to gird your preconceived notions against empirical evidence.
    Still not a he.
  • DPDJacob
    11 posts Member
    I completely agree with this post. I just made my own that CG needs to stop with the legendaries.
    Whatever your opinion on this issue is the simple fact that I posted about is that we had 8 legendary/journey toons in the first 3 years of the game. In the last 7 months they have added 7 more.

    Could we choose to not farm for these toons and work on who we want? Yes. Will it highly impact your momentum in the game in arena, fleet arena, TW, and GA. 100%.

    Ive been playing for almost 3 years and I think that most long term players would agree that the last year has been the worst year we've ever had. And as stated here even with an amazing farming plan like Warriors Pillars at the pace the game is going a new player will always be forever behind.
  • YaeVizsla
    3077 posts Member
    DPDJacob wrote: »
    I completely agree with this post. I just made my own that CG needs to stop with the legendaries.
    Whatever your opinion on this issue is the simple fact that I posted about is that we had 8 legendary/journey toons in the first 3 years of the game. In the last 7 months they have added 7 more.
    Whatever your opinion on the issue is, the simple fact is that we had 8 legendary/journey toons in the first 753 days of the game, and in the last 501 days we have added seven.

    Isn't mucking about with time in dubiously honest ways fun?

    Or we can chop off the front of the first window. In the 675 days from Yoda to Chimaera, we had eight legendaries. In the following 501 days, we had seven. Or! We can measure from R2 to JTR, when we had 6 legendaries in 225 days. Even more legendary-dense than the 7 legendaries in 501 days!

    Math is fun.

    Your point ignores the fact that there was a major drought in terms of legendaries between the Chimaera and Chewbacca. This time last year, people were complaining quite loudly about the lack of new legendaries. Whether you give the time frame of that drought to the phase one and two event characters or the phase three event characters is important. And given the current wave of event toons is, in part, to make up for the lack of them in the preceding almost year? I'd say it's more fair to give that time to phase three.
    DPDJacob wrote: »
    Could we choose to not farm for these toons and work on who we want? Yes. Will it highly impact your momentum in the game in arena, fleet arena, TW, and GA. 100%.
    Eh, dubious.

    Some are more important than others. Some can safely be eventually toons. My Palpatine is still pretty scrap tier after all these years because I ran antimeta or JTR through Nightmare, and I've yet to put a zeta on my CLS due to other priorities.

    I got 3PO and Chewie, and I toy around with them, but mine are pretty scrap tier. But you know what the real prize from those events was? My hunter and ewok teams. I use those all the time. I have a blast with them. I love those teams. Just like I'm going to love my Carth team that I'm building up for the Devan and Malak events. And just like I'm sure I will love the Grievous team I'm going to build for the Padme event.

    The event toons are nice. But they're not as far above everyone else as people seem to believe.
    Still not a he.
Sign In or Register to comment.