This is getting obscene. Anyone trying to get into the game now is going to be facing a dauntless task of obtaining nearly a dozen required teams for other toons before they can actually make their OWN teams to enjoy the game. Every time you hide another unit behind another required team, it just sets every player that much further back from being able to do what they may WANT to do. You've shut down any attempt at flexibility and creativity by telling people "no, you MUST grind these units instead."
Look at the units required right now (All, of course, need to be 7*'d):
- Emperor Palpatine - 5 Rebel units
- Thrawn - 5 Phoenix units (out of 6)
- R2-D2 - 5 Empire units
- BB-8 - 5 First Order units
- Chewbacca - 5 Bounty Hunter units
- Grand Master Yoda - 5 Jedi units
- C-3PO - 5 Ewok units (out of 7)
- Padme Amidala - 5 Separatists (out of 12)
- Commander Luke Skywalker: Luke Skywalker (Farmboy), Princess Leia, R2-D2, Stormtrooper Han, Obi-Wan Kenobi (Old Ben)
- Jedi Training Rei: Rey (Scavenger), Finn, BB-8, Veteran Smuggler Han Solo, Veteran Smuggerl Chewbacca
- Jedi Knight Revan: Bastila Shan, Jolee Bindo, T3-M4, Mission Vao, Zaalbar
- Darth Revan: Bastila Shan (Fallen), Canderous Ordo, Carth Onasi, HK-47, Juhani
- Darth Malak: Jedi Knight Revan, Darth Revan. 4 Chars from each of their requirements. All at 17500+ GP.
- Han's Millennium Falcon (Han Solo (Raid), Chewbacca (event)): Hound's Tooth (Bossk), Slave One (Boba Fett), Xanadu Blood (Cad Bane), IG-2000 (IG-88). ("Requires four Bounty Hunter ships", these are currently the only four.)
- Chimera (Thawn): Rebel ships.
- Rebel Officer Leia Organa (LS TB) - Hoth Rebel Soldier, Captain Han Solo
- Imperial Probe Droid (DS TB) - Colonel Starck, General Veers, 3 Imperial Troopers (of 5) - Now added to GTB shop.
- Wat Tabor (DS GTB) - Genosian Brood Alpha, Genosian Soldier, Genosian Spy, Poggle the Lesser, Sun Fac. 16500+ GP per char
That's 14 teams of 5 characters or ships each, sometimes generic, sometimes specific. As well as some specific characters, and ships. And while there is some overlap (Phoenix has 2 Jedi, JKR has two Jedi, etc.), for the most part you are having to grind almost fifty characters, just to get the specific characters in the game. Which means if you want to just focus on teams for FUN, but want to actually collect the characters available, your priority to enjoy the game is going to be pushed back a year or more.
That's far, far too many teams to force players down. You have over 165 characters in the game, and 2/3 are rendered moot because players have to wait so long before even attempting to get them.
Players should be able to go after the characters and teams they WANT, ones that appeal to them. Ones that amuse them. Not being forced down team after team after team of endless grinding for the powerful meta chars. Especially not down so many.
It should also be noted that a lot of the newer characters are significantly harder to get than the older ones. Palpatine and Yoda, for example, can be earned fairly easily with mediocre teams. Whereas Chewbacca, C-3P0, and Padme generally need to have seriously geared teams, and usually with specific characters in mind for them. Just having any random grouping isn't enough, unless you get godly RNG which you simply cannot rely on.
Even more, they've started adding GP requirements as well. It's not enough that you have the characters, and have that decently geared. You can no longer float by with 2-3 high powered characters hoping to pull the rest along (not that that's been viable for most recent events). Everyone needs a specific gear requirement to reach.