GP Matchmaking & “Fluff”

Replies

• BobaPhatty
    12 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    I can’t stand the “two Olympic runners” argument. Please stop saying that. CG created the desire to inflate GP with the horrible TB mode almost a year and a half ago. TW, 3 Months later which still encouraged inflating Rosters to get to higher Reward Brackets... How were we supposed to know that a year later there would be a new mode that would 100% rely on you not having done any irreversible inflation of GP in your Roster? I like Grand Arena and I do well enough to not really care as far as my own experience, but I know sooooooo many people who just can’t enjoy the mode at all because they have no chance. Kinda sucks.
    Post edited by BobaPhatty on
  • Tanzos
    219 posts Member
    I've also proposed to have a GA that has like 20 defensive slots across like 7 zones. Kinda forces you to use all your characters and probably make a full clear impossible. But I think that's fine, cause the winner would be who had the most usable characters to use on defense and offense. Might make those top heavy rosters a little less desirable for a change.

Not every GA, just every other or so. Balance.
  • Calx
    112 posts Member
    Why not simply let players pick which characters to bring in to the GA? The selection screen would look like the TB deployment screen. Pick the ones you want to use, and the unused ones aren't counted towards matchmaking. Give out higher rewards for higher GP (akin to TW), which encourages people to commit more GP. People can choose how much dead weight to drag in to GA to try and earn higher rewards.
  • BobaPhatty
    12 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    That’s 👆a pretty awesome idea! Though I’m pretty sure this whole conversation is pointless. There’s no money for CG in making any changes just to make the game more fun and enjoyable. Look at the TB and TW modes which CG specifically claimed were created to be easily re-skinned to keep the Modes fresh... A year and a half later and we’re still on Hoth doing the same painfully boring 6 Waves of TB Meh. The only changes that have ever happened are immediately adding Paywall Platoons that no one but whale Guilds will ever keep up with, (ironically being the only ones who don’t need the Platoon Bonuses) while making the mode less and less enjoyable for the majority of Guilds... but it makes CG money.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    BobaPhatty wrote: »
    CG created the desire to inflate GP with the horrible TB mode almost a year and a half ago. TW, 3 Months later which still encouraged inflating Rosters to get to higher Reward Brackets...

However, inflating rosters had (and still has) the same effect on matchmaking as it does in GA:

It may match you against uninflated rosters of same GP. It's nothing new.
  • Why are people still complaining? This is a game of resources and their scarcity. If you haven’t figured that out by now that’s on you.
  • Holshum wrote: »
    In my bracket right now, there is one guy who has 5 g12's and 20 zetas, another guy has 41 g12's and 29 zetas. So certainly not an even matchup by any stretch of the imagination. So I agree that the current system is not perfect, but I don't see that ever being fixed by changing a match making algorithm. The depth and complexity and number of characters possible would make any solution proposed just lead to different problems where someone else is going to be the low man on the totem pole. I personally believe that removing "fluff" from the GP comparison would end up making matches more competitive overall, but I have no proof and realize that it could possibly make matters even worse.

The thing I particularly don't like about the system is:

a) It does punish those who chose one style of resource management without a means to correct those decisions. Like others have stated, you can very easily level up unused toons to a point that gives you a significant GP boost without sacrificing any needed materials for the "important/good" toons. These decisions can not be unmade for this new game mode nor easily corrected because just shifting your focus to the "right" way to play by only focusing on the top teams will only make you face harder opponents. So that guy with only 5 g12's can work hard to get 30 g12's and be competitive against a guy with 41, but he will now be facing someone with 60 and still be outgunned.

b) It's a character collection game that is telling you to stop collecting characters to stay competitive. I am a competitive person, so I have always chased the meta to make sure that I am competitive in all areas of the game. I hoard materials to a point so I'm ready to chase the next meta when it comes along. I don't really enjoy doing those things but I understand it's what needs to be done to stay competitive and I'm willing to do that. The part of the game I enjoy the most is when I get over my hoard limit of 20 million credits (or whatever other resource is needed) and get to spend my "for fun money" on the characters I like. When GA first came out, I was coming in either first or second, but every time I got second I could see a way if I played better or had better RNG that I could have won. I continued to level up my for fun characters and now still get second, but it is much tougher and I have absolutely no shot at getting first place. I realize that to stay competitive here I essentially lose the ability level up characters I like or try to develop non-meta teams which in the end I feel I will try to stay competitive cause that's in my nature but will stop enjoying the game.

I think the best solution to the problem is not to remove "fluff" from the equation or change how GP is calculated because I don't think that will actually fix any problems but just change them to affect other people. The best solution in my opinion would be to add reward tiers just like in TB. That way the players who have a focused roster can still enjoy being the big fish in their little pond, but the players on the other end of the spectrum will still get something out of it and hopefully in the long run it would help even the matches out as players work to get into higher reward tiers.

Sorry for the long post, I'm not usually one to even voice my opinion, but there it is.

Another solution would be for CG to start tracking overall records in GA and then add records to the algorithm. First sort players by GP and then make brackets based on overall GA records (or just GA match wins maybe).

Those that are dominating GA would progressively get harder and harder conpetition and those that lose a lot would get easier matches.
  • However, inflating rosters had (and still has) the same effect on matchmaking as it does in GA:

It may match you against uninflated rosters of same GP. It's nothing new.

You’re entirely correct. It all comes down to individual attitude about the mode. I fully accept that each GA I’m usually able to win 2 out of 3 rounds for that very reason and I’m totally fine with that, enjoy the challenge and constant tweaking of my Defensive strategy to at least continue to do about that well...

It’s just hard to see the overwhelming number of other players who are distraught about the fact that they will never do any better than that, hate yet another game mode (in their estimation mainly because of precedence set by CG themselves with TB and what it required of Guilds and their Members to do well, as well as their own mantra about the game being about wide Roster development on so many different occasions).

Maybe those feelings are not really justifiable and are silly... but the end result is still a never-endingly worsening attitude about the game by a large segment of the community.

Only piped up really to say that that sucks and CG’s / Kyno’s arguments don’t address the fact that CG created the issue with completely contradictory game modes.
  • EgoSlayer
    140 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    GA needs an active GP function just like TW has. It should be a graduated scale based on the starting GP brackets, the lowest level wouldn't have any floor, the middle tier something around the >6K limit like TW, and the higher tiers some higher values, perhaps even double the middle tier at around 12K.
  • Why are people still complaining? This is a game of resources and their scarcity. If you haven’t figured that out by now that’s on you.

You must be new to the game. Other than Omegas, Zetas, and a few specific pieces of gear, most resources are like sim tickets.
  • Totally agree with this post. I feel like CG misled the community encouraging the players to level up and gear up his roosters (see the post about the paper zombie). And now, with GA, I had a great disadvantage against people without useless characters, and I shouldn’t be blame for having this characters because three years ago, when I started the game, I was encouraged to get as much GP as possible.
    And I don’t feel comfortable with the people of this forum that states that some players don’t know how to play this game because of our roosters.
    For the sake of the game, I think everyone will be happy if some kind of minimum GP per char will be added to the GA mode.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    miguelfoo wrote: »
    Totally agree with this post. I feel like CG misled the community encouraging the players to level up and gear up his roosters (see the post about the paper zombie). And now, with GA, I had a great disadvantage against people without useless characters, and I shouldn’t be blame for having this characters because three years ago, when I started the game, I was encouraged to get as much GP as possible.
    And I don’t feel comfortable with the people of this forum that states that some players don’t know how to play this game because of our roosters.
    For the sake of the game, I think everyone will be happy if some kind of minimum GP per char will be added to the GA mode.

You shouldn't be comfortable talking about your rooster too much.
  • No_Try wrote: »
    Totally agree with this post. I feel like CG misled the community encouraging the players to level up and gear up his roosters (see the post about the paper zombie). And now, with GA, I had a great disadvantage against people without useless characters, and I shouldn’t be blame for having this characters because three years ago, when I started the game, I was encouraged to get as much GP as possible.

Great contribution!! :claps:
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    No_Try wrote: »

One should keep their c o c k in their pants in public :P

Great! I see that you learned the basic principles of behavior in public, it will be very helpfull in the future.

Besides that, it seems good the idea to establish a minimum GP value to use a character in GA. Nobody get harmed with this approach. Unless someone isn’t interested in challenges and he wants to win at any cost.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member

Great! I see that you learned the basic principles of behavior in public, it will be very helpfull in the future.

Besides that, it seems good the idea to establish a minimum GP value to use a character in GA. Nobody get harmed with this approach. Unless someone isn’t interested in challenges and he wants to win at any cost.

Was hoping to teach you one but anyway...

An arbitrary GP cutline for the toons to be counted is the worst possible method to level the field, it just creates new problems without solving the current problem.
  • TRanger
    329 posts Member
    I had the same rooster problem too..and was corrected..take it with a grain of salt. Your not the first to do that. I'm pretty sure I was. And the same hen corrected me. Dont let his crowing, rattle ya he means well.
  • miguelfoo wrote: »

I have yet to see any post from CG misleading any player by telling or encouraging them to gear up their roster. Please kindly provide said post.

I know that the fluffing of rosters to inflate GP was recognised and in a lot of cases encouraged by individuals and guilds to get better rewards in certain areas and game modes

An arbitrary GP cutline for the toons to be counted is the worst possible method to level the field, it just creates new problems without solving the current problem.

Based on your previos responses to my posts there is nothing I can learn from you about behavior.

You said arbitrary GP cutline is the worst method and still it’s used from the beginning for TW mode.
  • TRanger
    329 posts Member
    edited March 2019

I have yet to see any post from CG misleading any player by telling or encouraging them to gear up their roster. Please kindly provide said post.

I know that the fluffing of rosters to inflate GP was recognised and in a lot of cases encouraged by individuals and guilds to get better rewards in certain areas and game modes

Depends on how long you have been playing..but it was encouraged..when TB was released they announced "now you can find use of those characters that were not being used..even droids" Taking it a step further...you buy shards at the shard shop and the drop rates and toons received rarely yield anything usefull..as that is how they make money and they do encourage spending but GA is a huge misappropriation of those funds as they have a half **** game mode that grossly outmatches you hopeing you will buy more garbage. You can't deny that it is encouraged.

If it wasn't you could pick and choose gear and toons based on your purchase at the time of purchase.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member

Based on your previos responses to my posts there is nothing I can learn from you about behavior.

You said arbitrary GP cutline is the worst method and still it’s used from the beginning for TW mode.

You should have understood what my friendly snark was about, but I doubt you still got it xD.

And TW matchmaking is the end all be all of matchmaking? TW has different needs and it's much more complex. Not allowing players to throw junk at slots just to get the defense points of those slots makes sense in that regard.

The real problem for matchmaking for both TW and GA is how GP is calculated in my understanding. I elaborated about this in much detail throughout this topic.
  • TRanger wrote: »

Depends on how long you have been playing..but it was encouraged..when TB was released they announced "now you can find use of those characters that were not being used..even droids" Taking it a step further...you buy shards at the shard shop and the drop rates and toons received rarely yield anything usefull..as that is how they make money and they do encourage spending but GA is a huge misappropriation of those funds as they have a half **** game mode that grossly outmatches you hopeing you will buy more garbage. You can't deny that it is encouraged.

If it wasn't you could pick and choose gear and toons based on your purchase at the time of purchase.

So CG encouraged people to level every character they owned to 50 and gear lvl 6/7?

Which is the easiest way to fluff your roster to gain GP and thus get better rewards in certain game modes.

Levelling characters to 85 and gear 10+ is a way to make use of possibly less mainstream toons but then that is a lot more work. Or maybe even farming teams that can actually finish the mission waves but again that is more work
  • marxuke
    163 posts Member
    When do they make already the update not counting Ship Galactic Power. So annoying!
  • marxuke wrote: »
    When do they make already the update not counting Ship Galactic Power. So annoying!

The simlpiest and quickest thing what they can do. And it would erase a lots of complains. All the fine tune can be done after that.

Becauae the only people who think we dont have a valid complaint joined post TB or are primarily running an alt that they started poat TB.

• IDinDooNuffin
    459 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    TRanger wrote: »

So CG encouraged people to level every character they owned to 50 and gear lvl 6/7?

Which is the easiest way to fluff your roster to gain GP and thus get better rewards in certain game modes.

Levelling characters to 85 and gear 10+ is a way to make use of possibly less mainstream toons but then that is a lot more work. Or maybe even farming teams that can actually finish the mission waves but again that is more work

Wasnt the work it was the speed necesaary to max TB. That was encouraged. Its great one someone cant understand that thats account is post TB and TW

Plus in TB you only boost to purple since purples are actually worth aomething in your top toons. And at moat you only need to 7 star a toon so it's viable in platoons. You still only use roughly the same 7 teams every phase. No need to boost 70 toons when 35 will do it. And that was what was promoted in game prior to when You joined.

You should have understood what my friendly snark was about, but I doubt you still got it xD.

And TW matchmaking is the end all be all of matchmaking? TW has different needs and it's much more complex. Not allowing players to throw junk at slots just to get the defense points of those slots makes sense in that regard.

The real problem for matchmaking for both TW and GA is how GP is calculated in my understanding. I elaborated about this in much detail throughout this topic.

And to seperate TW and GA here, TW is a guild event. And every guild has a mixture of pre TB and Post TB accounts. So you have fluff filled accounts and top heavy accounts. And you fight other guilds with a mixture.

GA youre 1 or the other. No mix. A top heavy 3mil GP account will win every time against a pre TW 3 mil account.

And if time of joining game is that big of a factor, then the matchmaking is broken.
  • TRanger wrote: »

Wasnt the work it was the speed necesaary to max TB. That was encouraged. Its great one someone cant understand that thats account is post TB and TW

Plus in TB you only boost to purple since purples are actually worth aomething in your top toons. And at moat you only need to 7 star a toon so it's viable in platoons. You still only use roughly the same 7 teams every phase. No need to boost 70 toons when 35 will do it. And that was what was promoted in game prior to when You joined.

Lol. Good job you know when I started playing the game so that your statement is entirely correct.

Or maybe you don't and are making a huge assumption. Hmmm. Option 2 sounds much more likely
  • TRanger
    329 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    TRanger wrote: »

Absolutely...why is there a Training Droid heist, or why else will you get some type of training Droid drop on ever node of this game 100% of the time. Let me tell you what it is not for...to collect 150,000 of them just to pretend you own a Battery Store every time you log in.

And you don't just stop at level 50...you take it as far as your rss will allow..in hopes to come into back to finish it before the next Marquee toon drops. And if it only allows you to get to lvl 50 at the time then so be it. You will always get more!
  • TRanger
    329 posts Member
    Move away from the fluff argument, it is a weak one ... leveling up toons playing the game as it was designed to....yes you choose which ones too level but it no way makes you somehow superior to me..it is a different play style...of your choosing...which is fine...face off against those of the same play design/style of you. To demand there be no change and too keep it as is, is testiment to you having no skill. Just a stronger roster path and selfish personality. Which is proof it needs to change. GP is not a fair assessment of build comparison. If it was then my gp and your GP would cancel out.