"No Defenses Set" in Grand Arena [MERGE]

Replies

• I was disappointed in the first, bugged run of the event by the game needing to restart, missing the banners for my attack so there was no reason for further attack attempts but just wait for the hotfix.

Now in run two, I am disappointed that my opponent set no defenses and I don’t have any battles to fight. The rewards and quests are just icing. The cake is the chance to *play*.

Hopefully by the next run of Grand Arena, the developers will give us our cake.
  • @sying
    Oh yes, I do see that they did give me extra points. I'm now at 960 and if my math is correct, than my opponent can only earn up to 804 points
    Thank you 😊
  • They set no defenses
  • @sying Is Echocrest still in Valor? Tell him Pearl said what's up;) we were inglorious blasters team mates together for a couple of years;)
  • Turvantus
    223 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    This story begins with the reveal of a brand new event that is soon to be released. One that creates a bridge between Arena and Territory Wars. How cool is that, right? However, this can be very daunting for some too. As it depends heavily on your own individual success or current stance within the game.

Reading up on how it was going to go down, and the requirements needed; I was borderline freaking out that I would need a total of eight fully functioning squads to have a fair shake at this. Which is crazy considering I may have had six, maybe seven tops as a faaar stretch. So a lot had to be pondered on in order to create something out of nearly nothing. Took a hefty toll on my resources that I was stockpiling towards other goals.

Yet, the anticipation and excitement was quite high. Even more so after the event started and was able to see that my opponent may very well matched (which by the sounds of it was a rare case). Yet here we are.. event finally starts, and surprisingly my opponent did weird and unexplainable things with his defense placements that struck me as odd in conjunction to what their roster had. Nevertheless, they were defeated promptly.

However, it was met with nothing but restarts as a reward for each victory. No credits. No banners. No quest progression. Nothing. Just a late to the party post saying ‘don’t participate, it’s bugged!’. -_- A bit of a let down, but mistakes can be made. We did after all get out rewards at least - win or lose alike. So life goes on, and next time should be better.

Round two is about to commence.. time to be pumped again! Like, let’s do this! Then it arrives and I notice that my opponent is mostly a dead account.. if it isn’t, then goodness grief..

Sure enough battles begin, and no defenses were deployed. Yet again, robbed of any sense of potential victory or defeat. Just flat out over before it even began. With no rewards of any kind again (as if they were hard earned anyway), nor quest progression or anything. All the while others report great fulfillment from this event. On all avenues. While I sit here contemplating this whole ordeal and why I spent time chomping at the bit trying to come up with teams. Messing with mods, abilities, levels, gear - the whole works.

As with all things the kinks get worked out, and genuine emotion will finally be had. It’s just that in the meantime there is a large disparity between the enjoyment or lack there of with this event for those that participate.

If your experience was like mine.. hang in there, because I’m trying to as well.

• Echo is no longer in Valor. There is no Valor. I’m just too lazy to change the picture. I’ll pass the message along.
  • T4NM4N26
    124 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    yy43hube8a50.png

Did anyone else have an opponent not place any defense?
  • Please give us our 600k credits for attacking but take it out of the losers that didn’t place the defense in the first place.
  • DarthSide_158
    20 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    I mean 500k credits is not insignificant.

I honestly feel like the quest rewards are more important though. I mean take a look at Han & GK: Win 3 battles on offense with them in an undersized party/10 battles with them on offense.

I mean, even if the algorithm auto-deployed your opponent's defense, you can still have a chance at completing these quests. Also, these quests net awesome gear. So, the fact that our opponent can screw us unintentionally kinda sucks.

However, I am excited for the coming rounds!
  • Very disappointed to find my opponent set no defenses. I was hoping to work on quests. I feel like I really wasted my time looking over his teams carefully to pick the best defenses while still being able to hold my own if he went pure defense. I didn't get to fight the first GA, so this is a huge let down. I really feel like there should be an extra reward at the very least when the other team set no defenses since I was denied the chance to earn quest advancement and credits.
  • Mine set no defenses either. Now, I am not sure how I feel about this. I can't say for sure it's entirely this other dudes fault. They don't have a button that goes straight to GA, nor do they have any kind of notification having to do with anything GA. With such a long set up time, I myself forget about GA from time to time. Im sure the attendance rate will increase once they do something to make the GA a more visible place.
  • Kokie
    1338 posts Member
    I think the most reasonable solution to the problem of people joining and not setting defense is a punishment of not being able to join say the next 3 grand arena's....when people get rewarded for bad behavior it will continue, but if you get punished and lose your 2nd place rewards maybe you will rethink poor sportsmanship....I have no time for whiney, entitled, **** who dont play with honor and sportsmanship.....I will always fight every battle even if I only have a 1% chance of winning.
  • I will give some benefit of the doubt that some people might be confused what is going on with GA and they might have forgotten to set defenses and there are probably some people mistakenly setting no defense because they think they can win and overlooked that their opponent will get the conquer banners even with no defense.

However, when GA moves forward with the normal mode, there should be no rewards for someone who does not set defenses. We know the later matches in one particular GA will continue using the same defensive squads automatically if someone forgets to set it. But in the first match, they are going to have to set defenses before that kicks in for matches two and three of the GA. People should not get rewards for just joining and doing nothing and it frustrates the ability of people to complete the quests. Another way of enforcing things would be to ban players from joining additional GAs for a certain period of time if they don't set defense in a GA. One thing is for certain, in anything PVP related in video games, there will always be a certain group of players who try to game the system....that's how it is in PVP in every game. So I think they should jump on this quickly so as not to sour people on the new game mode.
  • They could do something like when you first start the game where you have to enter battle, use JC's basic, etc. Except now, they walk you through grand arena setup phase. You can't exit out of it unless you set all of your defenses.

After that initial setup, those defenses set will be autoset in future GAs unless you set them manually.
  • What’s really fun is that this person “The Good Mol Eliza” set no defense and is now attacking me. So while I get a handful of extra mod salvage and mk 5 callers I don’t need, he/she at least gets to experiment with teams and make progress on GA quests. I was really excited for this mode and this weekend may have killed my enthusiasm for playing. As someone who’s dedicated a lot of time and resources to the game it’s pretty discouraging.
  • Dk_rek wrote: »
    Thatdelong wrote: »
    The same garbage happened to me too. Why join and then not even bother to set Defense? Don't want the other guy to have to even work at all? It's selfish and IMO will be the biggest problem with this game mode, as it completely drains the fun out of it. I was excited to battle and now I'm just angry and exasperated.

There needs to be some way to avoid this. Some kind of penalty to players that intentionally don't set Defense.

I don't care about your credits or quests...there will be 4 rounds in future events..... If you ahve 50 G12 char and I have 20 and you have revan and traya and I don't....I can 100 percent tell you that you win and I would not waste one second of MY time placing defenses for a 100 percent futile effort...

enjoy your rewards for 1st should make up for a few credits lost and a day off your quests.

in the end setting defenses is MY time and effort and I am in no way obligated to use that time just to make it so you don't feel bad about getting 1st place....

Sorry it sound harsh but you should hear yourselves from the people on the losing side of that matchmaking ends..... to us sounds like your whining about not WINNING ENOUGH when we couldn't win 1 out of the 6 battles anyway....

And yes.... I would only NOT place if I thought I could not win a single match out of the six....

but seriously ya all should hear how you sound to the people who have zero chance...

and there are fixes to it which I'm sure they will cave to

How do you know I'd be on the winning side? I certainly don't because I never had the opportunity to find out including after this "Season 0 2.0" that reaulted in another forfeit. I don't have Traya or Revan and I am F2P so any player at the same GP(1.7m) should be able to give me a run for my money.

I have been on the losing end of Matchmaking more than you can imagine In TW with GP differentials of as much as 50M ( 120m vs our 70m). But that doesn't mean that as the TW coordinator for my guild that I just tell everyone to lay down and let them have their way with us. We fight for every inch and try to earn our zetas even when we know we won't, and sometimes we have won when the odds were against us.

I can tell you for a fact that every single person who plays this game mode will end up with a match that is unfavorable. But are you seriously suggesting that when they do they should just give up before they start? Even if my opponent had 2x the G12 or 2x the number of zetas I'd still try to make it tough on him/her by putting my best teams on defense. You could stall them out or end up fighting a weak defense and make it close or maybe pull out a win with strategy or mods or a stronger fleet.
    There is a lot more to this mode than just what the roster looks like because you have no way of knowing which squads you will face. Any suggestion otherwise is bunk.

It would seem to me that you are the one who should examine what you are saying, which is essentially "I'll only make a game of this mode if I KNOW I can win." I'd be ashamed of myself if that was the limit of my competitive drive.
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »
    Same here. Not like I waited 3 days or anything. Def more the player's fault than CG though.

Well, perhaps. But it also might have been the fact that despite the excellent matchmaking (our GP was almost identical), he was scared off by my 53 g12 toons.....to his 19.
    Definitely a lot of people being little pounty-pants and not putting down defenses. Sure wish I'd gotten one of them, though :p
    SkiaRyder wrote: »
    They will just make it where it auto sets teams im sure
    Currently if you don't set defenses, it auto-deploys whatever you put down last time. (Probably doesn't keep track between Grand Arena events, but does between rounds) But I'm not sure what it does for the first round--I don't think they anticipated so many people being all pouty-pants.
    fletchmars wrote: »
    Just curious what happens if one decides to save all their teams for offense? The other player would not be able to take any territories and would lose if their defenses lose right?
    I think if you don't have defenses, you can't win--The opponent gets all your wins, all their characters are at full health and full protection, so the best you could hope for is to 1-shot all their defense teams while finishing at full health/protection for every one just for a tie.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Intrapidoo wrote: »
    umqlk4djcxdq.jpg
    I just lost out on 2 quest rewards that would have been completed...such greatness from cg...maybe if you would listen and put up useful rewards that would help.

Dude, they straight up said that prizes for this one were smaller because it's a one-day thing.
  • I know one person in our guild who did not have the event open up for him. It could be that he and others like him were "no defenses set" people. So, no defenses may be evidence of a glitch.
  • Starting to believe the people not setting defense think they will win because there is nothing for the opponent to attack. What they fail to understand is the point system is designed so they come up short by only attacking.
  • 3pourr2 wrote: »
    Starting to believe the people not setting defense think they will win because there is nothing for the opponent to attack. What they fail to understand is the point system is designed so they come up short by only attacking.

Eh....... Maybe one or two, but it's pretty obvious this is a bad idea and we already have Territory Wars which work along the same lines, so folks should know.
  • So far this event is terrible.
  • Daishi
    718 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Null
  • 3pourr2
    1927 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Daishi wrote: »
    I didnt read it all but did anyone @CG_SBCrumb do math at CG? In my tier you set 5 teams, for 450 banners. With even minimal wins (19 banners times 5 wins) you get 95 banners, plus the territory conquer bonuses of 180+210. For a grand total of 485. Meaning NOT setting any defenses is a sure win because your opponent cant attack and take your territory for the bonus.

They cant score more on offense you will already have a 450 point lead. I hope you got the conquer points if not thats the flaw
  • Daishi
    718 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Null
  • TWings
    59 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    It does, if your opponent doesn't set any defense you get the points for the 2 conquered territories (+ the points from your defenses) so you win.
    It's your 90 each defense points vs max 64 each attack points. You can't loose. Well you still don't win the credits, nor the quest adhievement, so that's not such a great victory, but that's another matter.
  • Daishi wrote: »
    3pourr2 wrote: »
    Daishi wrote: »
    I didnt read it all but did anyone @CG_SBCrumb do math at CG? In my tier you set 5 teams, for 450 banners. With even minimal wins (19 banners times 5 wins) you get 95 banners, plus the territory conquer bonuses of 180+210. For a grand total of 485. Meaning NOT setting any defenses is a sure win because your opponent cant attack and take your territory for the bonus.

They cant score more on offense you will already have a 450 point lead. I hope

I did the math. You can score more on offense because of conquer bonuses for the territory. That math in my post is MINIMUM. When I fought I was scoring 60 banners per attack, so 300 banners plus 390 for conquering bonus. 690 possible from offense and only 450 from defense. Someone @ CG didn't math well.

Now if someone failed to set defense and it would give the other player the conquer bonus it would work. It doesnt seem to do that however

You should’ve earned 120 conquer banners per territory with them not setting defense. It worked in my first match against no defense opponent.
  • I stand corrected! Still sucks that setting no defenses steals the ability to complete quests
  • T4NM4N26 wrote: »
    yy43hube8a50.png

Did anyone else have an opponent not place any defense?

I did. They attacked me with everything they had once the Attack Phase started but I won simply because they couldn't earn enough banners fighting me and I had filled every Defense slot and got credit for "conquering" both of their territories.

This discussion has been closed.