Fielding 2 Resistance Teams

As someone who has invested in resistance pretty heavily I find myself constantly exchanging members between the 2 potential Resistance teams you can run for things like TW and TB but with GA coming I figured its time to try and settle this.

This really starts with Finn and Jedi Training Rey both having zeta leads and they really work towards different directions as Rey seems very defensive and Finn offensive. The Resistance characters are quite versatile and have alot of utility which makes this even harder. I will break this into 3 parts. Those being the "Must Picks" for a JTR and Finn squad. Then a section explaining the in between characters and their ups and downs for each team.

JTR Squad-

BB-8: BB8 is a very obvious pick for JTR having direct synergy with JTR herself and being able to easily get Illuminated Destiny under her lead.

Scav Rey: Almost the definition of a glass tank Rey is able to pump out constant crits and huge damage especially with her 2nd special having the ability to expose and break said exposes multiple times. Also she has no real synergy under a Finn lead outside of the Resistance tag

R2: Honestly I dont even have to really explain this. Huge help, direct synergy with BB8. Smoke screen keeps focus on tanks till you get ID. Cleanses are very constant etc. As someone who uses R2 under a CLS squad instead this leaves an open spot in my JTR squad.

Finn Squad -

Poe: The true catalyst to a Finn squad giving the ability to AoE Expose a team and reduce their TM at the same time. This really accentuates the point of Finn's zeta of getting ahead and staying ahead.

Trooper: Unlike the other 3 characters mentioned Trooper is less of a dead giveaway as he is amazing under either lead. I feel that if you are running a Finn lead you are taking a massive risk not having RT on your squad due to his ability to pump exposes out like crazy. While if he is missing on a Rey squad it is just less DPS.

The "Tweeners"

Amilyn Holdo - Is an amazing tank for the resistance almost feeling like a Resistance specific GK. Holdo plays the typical role of an auto taunting tank. But she backs this up with a decent heal and a powerful AoE capable of dazing an entire team.

Under a JTR lead: She is almost purely used for the taunt with the AoE being a nice perk. Having a bulky Tank capable of helping the team live with heals, foresight and on and off taunts helps a JTR squad build up to an illuminated destiny. And if the enemy doesnt play around the daze she can real help build the disparity you need to get your JTR squad moving and getting ahead of the enemy.

Under a Finn lead: Holdo plays more of a fail safe kind of role under Finn. Being there to make sure things run smoothly. The daze isnt too useful as you are already so far ahead with Finns lead giving TM and Poe reducing TM thats daze isnt very needed and becomes more overkill. Her real purpose in this team would be to hit multiple exposes or exposes on targets you can not reach. Whether they are stealthed or an ally is taunting being able to hit people and not worrying about other stipulations are nice

Personally: Holdo seems to belong on a JTR squad much more. A tank is necessary to a JTR squad and Holdo fits in very well. Compare that to Finn where she is more so overkill it seems a little easy to decide where she goes.

Resistance Pilot - This is a pretty basic character but there is nothing wrong with that. She is just meant to be an evasive damage dealer who gets bonuses from evading and doing damage lol.

Under JTR lead: This character serves as a solid damage dealer and manages to stay quite survivable. With the natural evasion on top of her own foresight she can gain and being paired with JTRs lead and possibly Holdo(especially of zeta'd) Pilot almost seems pointless to try to attack as she will just constantly be evading. Thus allowing for free constant damage. And did I mention she gains 25% TM every time she evades or crits which will be happening A LOT under a JTR lead. Also she has ~70% CC With her base stats + JTR lead.

Under Finn lead: Just another toon capable of exposing with TM gain outside of just Finns lead which is actually quite useful in case something doesnt go to plan she can still get turns hopefully continuing the expose chain.

Personally: This is a tough one as she serves a decent role in both but I subscribe more to the idea of JTR than Finn as she seems to have more direct synergy with Rey than Finn.

Rose - Im not going to go deep on Rose's kit because as much text as their is it is more basic then any other Resistance kit because it has little to no interplay with the rest of either team. I am just going to say she works with both teams but really isnt that useful in either. If you zeta her then she is okay in a JTR lineup but without it the onky thing she has is Tenacity up she can give on her basic and her unique stun. But frankly the whole kit comes off as pretty meh. Without the zeta I would say Finn for another Resistance member to pop exposes. And her TMR as bad as it is compliments Poe's to keep people down and her Stun compliments Finn's allowing you to stun the whole team even faster.

Aaaaaaamd thats it. In summary, personally, I think the teams should be as follows:
- JTR, BB8, Scav Rey, RP, Holdo
- Finn, Poe, RT, Rose(I guess), a 5th who can expose such as Darth Sidious.
- If you can afford to run R2 in your JTR team I would put R2 in for RP and but RP in with the Finn squad.
- Lastly if you can afford to put a good Tank like Old Ben or GK in your JTR line up you can run Holdo in the Finn to just guarantee an offensive win.
Thought I would make this post to help me talk things out and help others who may be in a similar situation. Would love to hear what you guys think on this topic. Thanks!

Replies

• TVF
    36577 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    RP should always go with Finn. The team can hit way above its weight in TW as long as the exposes keep coming and you need every single expose character (Finn RT RP Poe) to ensure success. A non-Res expose character like Sidious might get one expose AOE off and then either sits there while the rest of the team does everything (best case scenario) or everyone dies because he has several turns without expose and you could have kept going if RP had just gotten you one more expose.

I use Rose as the fifth because even at G8 she's not a liability against 100k teams, she and Finn stun everyone every turn.

Holdo with JTR to tank and spread foresight, which is much more important for a JTR team that is not as good at TM mechanics but does other things much better.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Ugnaught
    481 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Its not exactly what you asked but, use jtr bb8/r2...and 2 other droids. Whether its IG 88 or L3 or M4 etc. That leaves your Finn lead team open for Finn/Poe/scavenger/trooper and/or whoever else you have best geared/modded.
  • I'm not a resistence expert but I would imagine it would be
    Jrey, bb8, r2, scav rey and holdo
    Finn, poe, trooper, pilot and rose
  • I go with:
    JTR, BB8, R2, Holdo, Rose
    Finn, RT, RP, Poe, Rey

All have zetas. I find Rey's damage, speed, and daze helps reduce how much the RNG has the potential to screw up a zFinn attack.
  • YKMisfit
    730 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    The hardest part for me is deciding the 5th for a Finn team. BB8 and RT are almost must-haves for both teams but it’s impossible to justify leaving BB8 off a JTR team. Also, zFinn lead teams need RT’s expose on basic more than JTR simply because all you need to land expose under her is a critical hit.

Finn - Poe, RT, Pilot, xxxxx
    JTR - BB8, R2, Holdo, Rey

Unfortunately, that only leaves Rose for the Finn team. Thematically it makes sense, but there’s nothing in her kit that makes her an especially good fit on a Finn team except for the Resistance tag. In fact, she almost acts to make zFinn LESS effective (also acurate to her role in the movie) since the extra turns she gains lead to more attacks that don’t inflict expose making it harder to keep the TM train rolling.

In reality , the best 5th is a totally unrelated toon who inflicts expose on a basic attack. Someone like Nest.
  • Holdo under Finn, make sure she goes after Poe—lather, rinse, repeat on the daze.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • chionophile
    1097 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    YKMisfit wrote: »
    The hardest part for me is deciding the 5th for a Finn team. BB8 and RT are almost must-haves for both teams but it’s impossible to justify leaving BB8 off a JTR team. Also, zFinn lead teams need RT’s expose on basic more than JTR simply because all you need to land expose under her is a critical hit.

Unfortunately, that only leaves Rose for the Finn team. Thematically it makes sense, but there’s nothing in her kit that makes her an especially good fit on a Finn team except for the Resistance tag. In fact, she almost acts to make zFinn LESS effective (also acurate to her role in the movie) since the extra turns she gains lead to more attacks that don’t inflict expose making it harder to keep the TM train rolling.

In reality , the best 5th is a totally unrelated toon who inflicts expose on a basic attack. Someone like Nest.

Rose synergizes better with RJT than Finn, and you need someone who can daze on Finn's team. Swap ScavRey and Rose.
  • YKMisfit wrote: »

Rose synergizes better with RJT than Finn, and you need someone who can daze on Finn's team. Swap ScavRey and Rose.

Didn't have time to do a full post while I was at the laundromat, but I'm home now and can say:

Jedi Rey: Rose, R2, BB8, Scavenger Rey.
    Finn: Holdo, Poe, Pilot, Trooper.

Holdo (modded for potency) provides the dazes, just be sure to have her go after Poe at least on the first turn so that she breaks all the Exposes that he lands and refreshes everyone's cooldowns. Pilot and Trooper are self-explanatory.

R2 (modded for crit chance) is going to spread a bunch of Exposes that will boost Rose's turn meter and offense, then focus down on targets one at a time. Rose has specials, but don't really bother with those unless they're situationally more useful than attacking twice would be (she won't always attack twice, but often enough that it's reliable and gives you more exposes to play with).
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    Rose absolutely fits with zFinn. With all the exposes, she just keeps stunning someone every turn.
  • Ugnaught wrote: »
    Its not exactly what you asked but, use jtr bb8/r2...and 2 other droids. Whether its IG 88 or L3 or M4 etc. That leaves your Finn lead team open for Finn/Poe/scavenger/trooper and/or whoever else you have best geared/modded.

This is what I do. JTR/BB8/R2/L3 & T3. They don't do great against the new meta but against NS, Nightmare and Rebels (including OT Chewie) they more than hold their own.

On that note, I'm anxious to see what C3 brings because I expect him to have heavy synergy with R2.
  • Use sidiuos as a fifth. He exposes on his aoe. Any toon that exposes will launch resistance. Enfys also if u dont use her elsewhere
    Que la Fuerza os acompañe!

Kakaka

Telegram @Kakakawakaka
    https://swgoh.gg/u/kakakawakaka/
    Código aliado 192-195-873
    https://swgoh.gg/g/516/global-elite-games/
  • I actually like Holdo on my Finn team.

Her AOE going after Poe's AOE Expose can fill your entire team with TM and reset all skills if you got lucky with your Poe landing.
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    Use sidiuos as a fifth. He exposes on his aoe. Any toon that exposes will launch resistance. Enfys also if u dont use her elsewhere

I know I'm just repeating myself but any non-Res toon is going to get at best one move off and then do nothing...
  • TVF wrote: »
    Use sidiuos as a fifth. He exposes on his aoe. Any toon that exposes will launch resistance. Enfys also if u dont use her elsewhere

I know I'm just repeating myself but any non-Res toon is going to get at best one move off and then do nothing...

Which isn’t necessarily a problem, and, IMO, preferable to gaining a bunch of TM from exposes being hit only to remove expose without applying more and constantly halting the perpetual TM gain other expose applying toons provide.

You can get around that as long as you have multiple exposed enemies on the board, but it’s far better to be reapplying expose whenever you hit someone. Especially if you’re stuck behind a taunt.
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Either your team keeps getting TM from all the exposes so the fifth toon never takes a turn, or they get a turn because everything goes wrong. Either way you're much better off with another Res. Sidious gets one turn and exposes, then what? He does nothing. I'd much rather have Rose getting constant turns and stunning everyone.
  • TVF wrote: »
    Rose absolutely fits with zFinn. With all the exposes, she just keeps stunning someone every turn.

True, but I feel like stunning is overkill. If your team is working properly you're going to be taking a million consecutive turns and have them locked at 0% TM the whole time. Unless they've got some method of gaining TM passively, but then you've got Holdo to mass Daze them all and prevent that.
  • So I invested very heavily in resistance, 2 zetas on bb8 and r2 as well as both Finn and JTR's lead. Right now I have done nothing with rose or holdo so I just run JTR, two droids, scav Rey, and RP on one team and then zfinn, RT, and Poe on another you do not need two more toons on the team plus you get bonuses for leaving spots unfilled in GA now.
  • I've actually found Sidious as the best for zFinn in TW. Finn Poe RP RT Sidious.

Because I use this team against FO, the heal immunity from Sid helps with the Kylos. I timed out with g8 rose in Sid's place a couple weeks ago- couldn't overcome the heals in time. And rose kept going and her attacks end up healing them more than they damage.

The AoE is good too, vs something like Baze when you cant quite hit the other exposed chars yet.

If I had Rose geared up, sure, but she's g8 right now and for foreseeable future.
  • Clearing up some of the comments.

Let me preface this by saying I exclude R2 from my argument due to him being used in my CLS Rebels squad I use for Traya teams. R2 is obviously a great addition to any squad and especially Resistance and if I could afford it he would be in my JTR. Also the argument of a droid based JTR squad doesnt work as I have a full droid squad I use in TW as well. Also my whole Resist faction is G12 some G12+ except my RP is G11. Also I am about 3.7m GP so our experiences will differ.

RP on Finn: As I stated myself there is an argument for the more exposes the better, but I don't think her expose is very consistent or needed. I have used many iterations of Resistance squads especially zFinn and I can say from personal experience she does not make or break this squad for me. I personally have everyone G12 except RP and I dont struggle to hit exposes with the Resistance trio. Having her under JTR for me is much more beneficial due to all the direct synergy she has.

Sidious under Finn: This is another team I have used a lot and can say I fully support and use this idea. Sidious is a naturally fast toon and has no other use in a roster any more at this time. Yes he does not gain TM and can feel useless at times but with Poes constant TMR if you happen get a period of bad RNG where you arent exposing Sidious will be next in line duw to his naturally high speed plus the little bits of TM he will gain throughout. Also the Healing Immunity on his basic is great for certain teams. F.e. one of the teams I use my Finn to counter is KRU FO. They can gain Health and Prot quite consistently so you can use his basic when he goes to prevent that and take down a character that may be causing you a lot of issues.
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    NicWester wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »

True, but I feel like stunning is overkill. If your team is working properly you're going to be taking a million consecutive turns and have them locked at 0% TM the whole time. Unless they've got some method of gaining TM passively, but then you've got Holdo to mass Daze them all and prevent that.

I'd rather have the whole team stunned as a safety net in case the exposes don't land second time around.

I will agree that Sid's heal immunity on basic is useful if you're facing zKRU.