Eliminate preview phase for grand arena

Replies

• Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    3pourr2 wrote: »
    With or without preview phase it still starts on the same day. Removing the preview wont change anything. The complaint that an event gives a one day warning isn’t necessary.

Yes, we know. Just like we know that it wouldn't accelerate the event schedule. Nobody was saying that were they?
  • 3pourr2
    1927 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Gannon wrote: »
    With or without preview phase it still starts on the same day. Removing the preview wont change anything. The complaint that an event gives a one day warning isn’t necessary.

Yes, we know. Just like we know that it wouldn't accelerate the event schedule. Nobody was saying that were they?

So why ask for it to be removed?
    Seems wishy washy
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    Just cuz it seemed unnecessary, compared to the TW which would understandably have more intensive calculating parameters. I mean, if you don't place defense, you won't get anything anyway, right?
  • 3pourr2
    1927 posts Member
    You get 2nd place rewards
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    You get 2nd place rewards

In TW if you get no banners, you get no rewards. Why would GA be different if you joined and didn't participate at all tho? It'd be an instant win for the other guy
  • 3pourr2
    1927 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Thats a complete different subjuct but I agree. If you dont play you dont get paid. And my first match was like that no participation from enemy.
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    Well not completely different. They didn't give us any real info on how this arena worked, so it seemed like a safe assumption that it would only give rewards if defenses were placed.
    So why have a sign up phase separately , and couldn't it be merged with the defense setup phase? That was my whole question from the post lol
  • 3pourr2
    1927 posts Member
    Then there would be no one day warning of the event.
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    TB doesn't give a one day warning.. Does it? 👀 lol
  • 3pourr2
    1927 posts Member
    There isnt match making in tb
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    Right, but if the matchmaking doesn't start until defenses are placed anyway, as Kyno suggested, then nothing is being calculated during preview anyway right?
    Also, just to clarify, I'm not trying to be difficult or anything, just was curious about how it worked compared to other events.
  • 3pourr2
    1927 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Idk exactly how it works but I dont mind the one day warning for some last minute gear ups or modding.

Edit probably gives computer 24 hours to to set match ups is my guess
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    Yea I can't argue with that, last minute upgrades can be fun
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Obi1_son wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    They need to have everyone signed up before they can match you. Part of the matching is to set the number of squads placed, which I believe they said is based on the lower number of the match.

So yes there is a reason.

This explanation makes sense for tw but zero sense for ga. They are matching players based on a players gp and deciding how many defenses to set based on that same gp. Are you saying that someone could manipulate their go by a mil or so, enough to to change the defensive teams. After you defended their use of gp for matchmaking, you say this??? Please think before you type.

what?

so they dont need everyone signed up to match everyone?
  • CaptainRex
    2840 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    I'd be okay getting rid of the preview phase. I'd love to be matched up with someone who doesn't care lol

As for the TB/TW thing, here's how I'll try to explain it.

If 10 people join TB, and do nothing, it would have the same effect as if they sit out, whereas in TW, joining and doing nothing really hurts your guild matchmaking-wise. People might forget to join TB, but they'd play once reminded, so CG eliminated that step.
    Post edited by CaptainRex on
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • Kyno wrote: »
    They need to have everyone signed up before they can match you. Part of the matching is to set the number of squads placed, which I believe they said is based on the lower number of the match.

This explanation makes sense for tw but zero sense for ga. They are matching players based on a players gp and deciding how many defenses to set based on that same gp. Are you saying that someone could manipulate their go by a mil or so, enough to to change the defensive teams. After you defended their use of gp for matchmaking, you say this??? Please think before you type.

what?

Signing up can be based on players setting defense... you dont set a defense you are not participating and dont get free rewards.

The one day preview phase is utter nonsense.
  • Obi1_son wrote: »

what?

Signing up can be based on players setting defense... you dont set a defense you are not participating and dont get free rewards.

Say it again for those in the back!
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    You aren't getting any more events or rewards so who cares either way?
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

what?

what if your GP changes that day and you jump to a different placement count? people will always be on the cusp.

isnt the number of placements based on the lower of the 2 players? what if the other person is just below the cusp?

• Gannon
    1619 posts Member

what?

what if your GP changes that day and you jump to a different placement count? people will always be on the cusp.

isnt the number of placements based on the lower of the 2 players? what if the other person is just below the cusp?

Honestly, we have no idea, cuz they still haven't told us how exactly they're doing all the things lol 😆
  • Gannon wrote: »

what?

Honestly, we have no idea, cuz they still haven't told us how exactly they're doing all the things lol 😆

Err...they did pretty much explicitly say the part about how number of placements works.
  • Gannon wrote: »
    I understand that the preview phase for TW is useful to three matchmaking system, so there is a full 24 hour defense phase to match opponents in the background, but it seems unnecessary for grand arena.
    Can't you eliminate the preview phase in grand arena and go straight into defense placement instead?
    Staring at an empty empty board for an extra 24 hours seems pointless for grand arena.
    Is there some reason it's there?

Eliminate Grand Arena...
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    Gannon wrote: »
    I understand that the preview phase for TW is useful to three matchmaking system, so there is a full 24 hour defense phase to match opponents in the background, but it seems unnecessary for grand arena.
    Can't you eliminate the preview phase in grand arena and go straight into defense placement instead?
    Staring at an empty empty board for an extra 24 hours seems pointless for grand arena.
    Is there some reason it's there?

Eliminate Grand Arena...

Don't get me wrong, I love the tournament concept.. But I mean really, why not auto-enter everyone and eliminate the preview phase (Can still show up in upcoming events like tb, and do the lock at the start of the event), then everyone is entered and defense placement is necessary if you want rewards (Prevent totally empty boards by populating teams if necessary, such as their last recorded ls and ds team in the two sectors. Only need the two, and those are recorded anyway), then match opponents based on the highest tiers of gear they have on characters rather than gp (if you have 40 g12 and 10g11, find a similar match. If you have 13 g7 and 9 g6, match with that).

Personally, I think they should only allow use a team once across the whole event, to make strategy even more important ('marathon' vs the current 'sprint' of my metas against yours), and shrink the board each round accordingly. But they won't do all that..
  • People seem to be forgetting that GA will eventually incorporate 4 players at a time. With that in mind, the preview makes more sense since matching 4 active players would be better than the chance of 2 actives and 2 inactive, or any such combination.
  • There are already complaints of facing opponents that set no defense. Making everyone auto join would only make that situation worse.

Having to hit a join button the day before isn't much of an inconvenience. And it likely reduces the matches against non active players greatly. Now some are ok with an easy win but others want to actually face an opponent rather than have nothing to attack. And the intent of the mode is not to have people face empty spots. So the join period helps weed out those that don't want to play this mode or who are in active in general.
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    There are already complaints of facing opponents that set no defense. Making everyone auto join would only make that situation worse.

Having to hit a join button the day before isn't much of an inconvenience. And it likely reduces the matches against non active players greatly. Now some are ok with an easy win but others want to actually face an opponent rather than have nothing to attack. And the intent of the mode is not to have people face empty spots. So the join period helps weed out those that don't want to play this mode or who are in active in general.

Not really. not everyone has to join from what I've seen here, some are complaining that they missed joining the event, but it's the ones joining and not placing defenses responsible for empty boards. They're doing it purposefully.
    I'm with you, I don't want an easy win either. I would also like to get the quests done also. But currently ppl can leave boards empty after joining
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    I don't understand why people keep bringing up the quests. They all get done eventually. Especially once we're doing the full three round GA instead of the introductory one round GA.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »
    I don't understand why people keep bringing up the quests. They all get done eventually. Especially once we're doing the full three round GA instead of the introductory one round GA.

I totally agree, but these are the first quests that have really good rewards, and it gives more incentive to do them. I've already gotten zeta mats and such, which will help for next one.
    I really want to get the general Kenobi profile pic, but my first GA didn't give any progress toward it. So 9 to go.
  • 3pourr2 wrote: »
    Idk exactly how it works but I dont mind the one day warning for some last minute gear ups or modding.

also gives people 24 hours to remove mods and drop GP.

Side note, I thought there was an "auto set defenses" mechanism in grand arena so that even if you forgot to set defenses, you set defenses. Participation doesn't appear to be optional in Grand Arena. I agree they should get rid of the 24 hour preview. Just jump right to set defenses and then offense period. I'm preferential to design that reduces distractions and this being on the screen encourages people to click on it even though there is no action to take.
  • 3pourr2
    1927 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Rebel_yell wrote: »

also gives people 24 hours to remove mods and drop GP.

Side note, I thought there was an "auto set defenses" mechanism in grand arena so that even if you forgot to set defenses, you set defenses. Participation doesn't appear to be optional in Grand Arena. I agree they should get rid of the 24 hour preview. Just jump right to set defenses and then offense period. I'm preferential to design that reduces distractions and this being on the screen encourages people to click on it even though there is no action to take.

The auto set feature will be for multiple battle GA. It will only remember teams from previous battles not events. Removing the preview wont make it start sooner or more often. And seems to be directly related to match making game modes.