Grand Arena: no

Replies

• Options
    Just my 2 cents here. And if this was stated above sorry for the repeat but I got tired of reading all the whining. They said when the event was first announced that match making would involve GP and RECORD....so seeing that there isn’t a record to go off of yet they just go GP to use. So all you “fluff” roster guys will get your butts beat for a few times until the records start getting included into the equation. Just give it time to balance out and stop whining about every new thing they try to do because it hurts your feelings and you can’t win.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Options
    Vohbo wrote: »
    I had the complete opposite. My opponent got basically crushed so utterly that it was silly.

I don't understand the point of this game mode. It's not fun, it doesn't give good rewards, and it further burdens us with even more time consumption.

Have you seen the rewards from the prestigious quests? 5 zeta’s & 10 omega’s from ONE quest is good imo..

lol if you can't beat a team,beat an area, win a section telling us about quest rewards we probably will never get...is just rubbing it in...just my opinion
  • Boov
    604 posts Member
    Options
    Nall1986 wrote: »
    Just my 2 cents here. And if this was stated above sorry for the repeat but I got tired of reading all the whining. They said when the event was first announced that match making would involve GP and RECORD....so seeing that there isn’t a record to go off of yet they just go GP to use. So all you “fluff” roster guys will get your butts beat for a few times until the records start getting included into the equation. Just give it time to balance out and stop whining about every new thing they try to do because it hurts your feelings and you can’t win.

Well...
    whining > incorrect info
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Options
    Waqui wrote: »
    What do i get matched with? some person who hasn't bothered to level up/gear up his bottom 1/4-1/3 of his roster- and the literal remainder are all G12, basically maxed. we have nearly the exact the same GP, but his active viable GP is as if they were probably 400k higher if they'd filled out their bottom roster like i and others have. the exact same thing happened on the first day when it was crashing.

i realize you need some method of match making, and i'm not sure what a better solution might be, but within the bounds of what we have, can you set it up to exclude from the calculation the bottom, say, 30% of our rosters, so it actually pairs equally???

You DID get matched equally. You opponent just developed his roster better for TW/GA than you did.

thanks waqui that's been posted 100000000000 times across this forum for years....
    and most of the time it's right...but i have a killer fleet...my opponent had garbage fleet...so I never had a chance....

Also developing roster is pretty bad argument here IMO....if you paid or saved for revan or your in a killer guild
    all the developing in the world won't let me beat those teams

again things will change...they will put some cheesy ship thing in that wont' mean anything and it will still be bad......I will never win so I think this game mode is horrible....

Your or others posting how great it is are the ones who will always win...

It's a cyclical argument talking abot rosters or gear/mods/ revan/ traya it just goes back and forth

The DEV'S wanted feedback so a lot of people are givign their feedback that GA is horrible

OR AT THE VERY LEAST.....this exibition mode was horrible, unfun,,unfair in a way, and a complete waste of the 10 minutes you play over 72 hours....

• Options
    My thing is ive been playing since day 1 i have leveled al my toons up the problem with the gp matchmaking is ships inflates that gp big time! So whereas i have a certain number of toons geared and leveled my opponent and i migt have identical gp but most of mine is made up of ships while his is all toons geared!= loss!
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Options
    CHFC22 wrote: »
    So you want to be only matched against people you'll beat? Gotcha

I realise that you'll have a long complex answer as to why you think you've not said that, but that's how your complaint reads.

no man it's not because "we lost" it's because we will probably ALWAYS lose and it's still not about that...

When god revan and god traya teams are in each area we have ZERO chance to clear the area and most likely not even win a battle..... what part of ZERO is hard for you guys to understand..

What's fun about not being able to beat a single team your opponent has...

it aint about winning it's about the fact that it's DUMB just DUMB. Any you know darn well all the "we are working on it" stuff will probably never make matchmaking better.

It is what it is....I don't give 2 poops about winning or losing but if you click on opponents map and you can't beat a single team I got to play this game mode for less than 5 minutes over 72 hours and that's a joke
    A BAD one...

The stupid...."don't worry new toons will come out to counter revan and traya" EXCEPT then there will be more marquees more god toons and the CYCLE repeats...

all you guys throwing out the 2 year old arguments about rosters and focusing are 100 percent correct but only about every other game mode EXCEPT this one

I50 to 90 percent of peoplemay like this game mode and that's GREAT it's not going anywhere.

Congrats enjoy those rewards and quests and zetas your heros in my eye...you fund the game that someday may take some of that revanue and invest it in something fun to do for ships
  • Options
    Goble57 wrote: »
    Not every mode can be a strong area for each player. In fact, I’m sure whales are the only ones for that. This mode is good for those who emphasized pvp modes like arena and TW. For those who emphasize pve like raids and TB, it’s harder, but that’s alright. Everyone gets their area and we can’t win them all. No big deal. Just focus on where you want to win and let everything else be spill-over. That’s how I got my arena team and it’s been working just fine for almost a year now (I came back after a hiatus)

its nice that you are trying to be gentle, but sometimes the truth is harsh... this is resources management game, and the OP failed in it, plain and simple.
    no need to hide behind Slogans like "not every mode can be a strong area for each player" or "for those emphasize PvE its harder." or "we cant win them all" thats simply not true.
    You CAN be strong in ALL areas of the game, you CAN win them all.
    fact is, OP is spreading way too thin, hes full of Fake GP, and he did horribly with resources. thats the same thing with my opponent this TW. i knew i was gonna beat him after 2seconds i looked in his roster. there are competitive kind of players, and those who arent. many people putting mods on lvl 53 toons with g5 because it give lot of GP. this is HUGE mistake and they are going to figure it out with more GArena to come. OP probably did this mistake, or other mistakes, and the painful truth is hes not as good as people with kind of same resources than him. he managed his resources BADLY.
    and btw, Im #1 in both arenas, Perfect in TBs, doing amazingly good in TW (im humble right now) and doing Solo HAAT and 30M points in HSR.
    not only that "focusing on one game mode hurt the other", its exactly the opposite - success in game mode bring more success in other game modes. stuff like 'focusing PvE' is a lie. focusing PvE means you are simply not good enough for PvP.
  • Options
    Dk_rek wrote: »
    CHFC22 wrote: »
    So you want to be only matched against people you'll beat? Gotcha

I realise that you'll have a long complex answer as to why you think you've not said that, but that's how your complaint reads.

no man it's not because "we lost" it's because we will probably ALWAYS lose and it's still not about that...

When god revan and god traya teams are in each area we have ZERO chance to clear the area and most likely not even win a battle..... what part of ZERO is hard for you guys to understand..

What's fun about not being able to beat a single team your opponent has...

it aint about winning it's about the fact that it's DUMB just DUMB. Any you know darn well all the "we are working on it" stuff will probably never make matchmaking better.

It is what it is....I don't give 2 poops about winning or losing but if you click on opponents map and you can't beat a single team I got to play this game mode for less than 5 minutes over 72 hours and that's a joke
    A BAD one...

The stupid...."don't worry new toons will come out to counter revan and traya" EXCEPT then there will be more marquees more god toons and the CYCLE repeats...

all you guys throwing out the 2 year old arguments about rosters and focusing are 100 percent correct but only about every other game mode EXCEPT this one

I50 to 90 percent of peoplemay like this game mode and that's GREAT it's not going anywhere.

Congrats enjoy those rewards and quests and zetas your heros in my eye...you fund the game that someday may take some of that revanue and invest it in something fun to do for ships

You do have a point I think - I would win 1000/1000 times with the matchup I got, my roster is just impossible for the opponent to compete with (even GP).

However, You are mistaken when you say that traya and revan teams are impossible to beat without buying marquee characters and all of that...

The problem is not single characters or teams
  • Options
    My opponent set his strongest toons on d and has scrub left overs that wont beat my d. It's all about strategy.
  • Options
    EliteR3b3L wrote: »
    My opponent set his strongest toons on d and has scrub left overs that wont beat my d. It's all about strategy.

You are right to a certain extend... there IS an element of strategy - But some matchups where lean people from good guilds meet fat people from poorer guilds will give the same result each time regardless
  • Options
    There's a pretty easy solution to this. Just join grand arena, set no defenses, collect your free rewards.

Until CG stops catering to the entitled millennials this is one way of letting them know you don't really approve of grand arena and that you'll take their free stuff without any work at all. It's not like you were getting these rewards before grand arena existed anyway.

If you actually wanted to enjoy this mode I don't know what to tell you. It's clearly geared for the PvP crowd. I am also one of these people who have built there roster up for TB and not for PvP so that's the strategy I'm using. I don't care for the PvP modes so I just take the fun out of it for the other guy and they can go complain to CG forcing them to make the changes that they will ultimately make to force people to set defenses so their new, highly touted game mode will seem like a success instead of the immediate failure it's been.
  • TVF
    36599 posts Member
    Options
    Midwinter wrote: »
    There's a pretty easy solution to this. Just join grand arena, set no defenses, collect your free rewards.

Until CG stops catering to the entitled millennials this is one way of letting them know you don't really approve of grand arena and that you'll take their free stuff without any work at all. It's not like you were getting these rewards before grand arena existed anyway.

1) Pretty uncool that you're robbing your opponent of additional credits.
    2) Pretty uncool that you're disparaging an entire generation with no facts to back your statement up.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    TVF wrote: »
    Midwinter wrote: »

1) Pretty uncool that you're robbing your opponent of additional credits.
    2) Pretty uncool that you're disparaging an entire generation with no facts to back your statement up.

Meh.
  • Options
    The way I see things is thus:

"I dominate in my Arena, why can't I win here?"

"Because you aren't in your arena anymore"

We get used to fighting the same old folks we develop an understanding of patterns. Bringing new blood in upsets the patterns and many folks don't compensate. Some rage and argue that "GA stinks!" because they have difficulties. Others rage and argue "GA stinks!" because they dominate too easily and want a challenge. Still others don't rage and play the game, hoping for a win but accepting of a loss.
    "Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen...mostly"
  • Options
    Sorry that the OP and his zRose aren't cutting it for GA, guess them are the breaks.

Seriously stop whining because you built a crummy roster, you've got no one to blame for doing poorly in GA other than yourself.
  • Options
    Why have a new game mode and not offer any new rewards? Not to mention Grand Arena just looks like a very lazy attempt to make a new game mode...
  • Options
    APX_919 wrote: »
    The way I see things is thus:

"I dominate in my Arena, why can't I win here?"

"Because you aren't in your arena anymore"

We get used to fighting the same old folks we develop an understanding of patterns. Bringing new blood in upsets the patterns and many folks don't compensate. Some rage and argue that "GA stinks!" because they have difficulties. Others rage and argue "GA stinks!" because they dominate too easily and want a challenge. Still others don't rage and play the game, hoping for a win but accepting of a loss.

Well said and I agree. It is easy to get used to one winning strategy but more difficult to learn and utilize multiple strategies (not overly difficult but it does take more effort). I have fallen into this myself and instead of trying to learn I just accept the loss and move on. Accepting the loss is what is difficult for many people I expect. You can't win em all!
  • Roksteady
    59 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Not sure how hard this would be to implement, but I think a two tier assignment system would work.
    1. Divide everyone into sections based on GP similar to how guilds are separated in TW.
    2. Assign opponents based on the top 60 toons (6 teams on defense, 6 teams on offense worth) using the number of geared and zeta'd toons on their roster.

Example: I'm at 3.5 million GP. I have 31 G12 toons and 36 G11 toons and 33 zetas. How hard would it be to come up with an algorithm that would assign me an opponent who has a 3.5 million to 3.75 million GP with between 30-35 G12 toons, 25-35 G11 toons and 30-35 zetas?

For the record, my opponent had a 3.5 million GP, 33 G12 toons, 22 G11 toons and 30 zetas so it was a pretty even match. I was unable to clear their board because I misjudged their Bastila team's speed that they had set on defense. Even if I had beaten that Bastila team I would have lost the match. My total max score would have been 1,292 to their final score of 1,293. I went weak on defense so they swept my board on single battles. They did the same except for their arena Bastila team which proved to be my undoing.

Even matches are fun if done properly because it will come down to making sure you can not only beat the opponent's teams but that most of your toons will walk away alive and with protection if possible.
  • CorpseMaker77
    602 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I'm 2.1gp

My opponent have only TWO Gear 12 toons...

I have 28 (minus Traya and Revan)

Needless to say I rekt my opponent

Moral of the story is:

GA is here to finally teach some players that HIGH GP doesn't mean squat if you don't develop and gear the best characters/squad,you are not helping your guild and you are not helping yourself. So just stop unlocking every character in the game just to boost your GP for nothing and get your squads stronger instead.
  • TVF
    36599 posts Member
    Options
    It's PvP. Taking all your toons to 85 does nothing for arena, nothing for TW, and nothing for GA. Get used to it.
  • Options
    A PvP mode is geared for the PvP crowd? Shock horror! I never saw that one coming.
    Whether or not one is a millennial has literally no relevance here.
    This hasn't been an immediate failure - it's worked exactly as advertised and I had fun choosing my defensive teams. It would have been more fun had my opponent decided to actually set defence, but hey.
    I'm not sure why you'd actively want to take the fun out of it for other players, that's pretty douchey.

I never indicated that I was shocked that this was geared for the PvP crowd. I was merely informing the OP that if they expected to enjoy a PvP mode with a non PvP roster then they would be disappointed.

As far as a being a **** for not setting defenses that's on CG. If they're going to give me rewards for not participating then I'll take my "participant ribbon" and enjoy, particularly when I look at my opponents roster and determine that I don't have a chance at winning. Why bother wasting my time when I can't win? CG simply needs to force participation in order to receive the rewards. Then I'll set my defenses and lose gracefully. Until that time I refuse to waste my time setting defenses if I am not required to in order to receive rewards.

And I do apologize for the millennial comment. I know they're not all bad.
  • TVF
    36599 posts Member
    Options
    It takes 30 seconds to set one defense.
  • Options
    TVF wrote: »
    It takes 30 seconds to set one defense.

I don't really care how long it takes. It takes longer than 0 seconds. That's more time than I'd like to waste on something that doesn't matter to me at all.
  • Options
    GA isn’t arena, but I think a comparison to arena is apt:

In arena, depending on the choices you make, you either rise or fall to the level at which you’re able to be competetive, and you reap the rewards for competing at that level. So if you invest heavily in a new meta right out of the gate, your squad improves and you get better rewards. If you cling to an old meta for too many months, you gradually sink in the ratings and get worse rewards. But the system is self-correcting: you get weaker opponents if you start losing, until you fall into a region of the curve where you’re competetive; and you get stronger opponents if you start winning, until you rise to a region of the curve where the competition is too strong.

What’s missing from the GA matchmaking is this self-correcting aspect. No matter how many times a GA event runs, the pairing algorithm won’t learn your true strength, because it’s based solely on GP. You’ll keep getting grouped with people who have demonstrably weaker and stronger rosters, who either can’t possibly beat you, or who you can’t possibly beat.

(band yes, over the course of a 3-round GA event, pairings will gradually become more competetive since records in THAT event will play a role, but at the start of every NEW GA event, the matchmaking will go back to being as random and uncompetitive as they have been to this point.)
    I demand Grand Arena Elo ratings.
  • Options
    I have had two great matches so far. I have been playing forever as well and have clearly built up some characters that don't help me too much anymore. My focus for the last year or so has been on usable teams though - so that gives me a chance.
    I have had good conversations with my opponents, we talk about strengths and weaknesses, and so far we each see how we could have won if we had made one less mistake.
    The rewards will be better when the full GA goes live - season 0 was just a 1 v 1.

Great experience so far (bugs not withstanding)
  • Vos_Landeck
    1666 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    We haven't even had one full GA yet. I'm sure they will obviously continue to tweak the match-making formula over time. Also, with the normal GA, if you lose in the 1st match, you'll be paired with someone in the 2nd match who lost also....everyone can't win every match, someone has to lose. I had someone in the first exhibition who had more G12 characters than me but I had more G11 and G10 characters so they had better teams at the very top end of the roster but didn't have enough depth to beat me. People are making all sorts of broad generalizations about this game mode based on a couple of exhibition matches. There is a solution though if you don't like GA.....don't play GA, don't join the GAs.....crisis averted.