Potentially returning After a Year's Hiatus - Should I Start Again?

Hey,

It's been almost a year since I've played SWGOH as I just really wasn't feeling it (game felt more like a chore than a game) and a spat with my former guild was the nail in the coffin and I left. Strangely, I'm getting a strange inch to play again now but I don't even know if its worth continuing.

I've got a solid base of characters but after a year away, I don't think it would be possible to ever catch up as I'm fairly certain the top 200 have likely never stopped playing.

Would starting again be worth it?

My SWGOH.GG profile is https://swgoh.gg/p/758161617/

Replies

• Akaryn
    58 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    I recently restarted playing with a much worse lineup. You have a decent composition of strong characters (e.g., Sith). Give it 2-3 months and correct mod-usage and you can compete in the Top 100. Same as me you have the disadvantage when it comes to farming the vast amount of new and necessary marquee characters (Old Republic), but that is also only a matter of time (or money).
    Generally, the game has really improved with all the different events and pve/pvp options (as in, it's more fun).
  • Jarvind
    3926 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Edit: double post

Post edited by Jarvind on
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• You are going to be behind but the meta is ever evolving so you can definitely catch up. If you enjoy, play. If not, enjoy your extra free time.
  • Akaryn wrote: »
    I recently restarted playing with a much worse lineup. You have a decent composition of strong characters (e.g., Sith). Give it 2-3 months and correct mod-usage and you can compete in the Top 100. Same as me you have the disadvantage when it comes to farming the vast amount of new and necessary marquee characters (Old Republic), but that is also only a matter of time (or money).
    Generally, the game has really improved with all the different events and pve/pvp options (as in, it's more fun).

Thinking about balancing a new account while still maintaining my old account to see which I prefer. I'm currently 573 in Arena so reaching top 100 seems kind of bleak haha. And it definitely seems like there has been quite a bit of progression since I last played.
  • yaklan42 wrote: »
    You are going to be behind but the meta is ever evolving so you can definitely catch up. If you enjoy, play. If not, enjoy your extra free time.

Potentially. But I'm so far behind in resources, which is what I'm concerned about the most.
  • I did something similar recently, although you're a bit farther ahead than I was - I had zero legendary characters when I came back, and I didn't even know what zetas were. Here's what I can tell you.

If you're the kind of guy who obsesses over arena placement and can't have fun if you aren't in the top ten, go ahead and restart. You'll be insanely far behind the curve, not just character-wise, but mods too. People in the top of your shard will not only have newer, crazy overpowered characters like Traya and Revan, they will have them modded for unreasonable speed stats, and you just won't be able to touch them at all for a while.

If you don't care so much about arena, I don't see any reason to throw away the decent amount of progress you already have. Personally, I set about building a squad for every special event and collecting all the legendaries, and that's kept me busy and enjoying myself for about 6 months now. I still don't do well in arena - I manage the top-200 payout on a good day - but I did get a brand new fleet arena shard, so I place #1 there most days, which is nice.

If you do decide to stick it out, getting all the requirements together for Commander Luke and Jedi Training Rey is probably a good place to start. Good luck!
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Jarvind wrote: »
    I did something similar recently, although you're a bit farther ahead than I was - I had zero legendary characters when I came back, and I didn't even know what zetas were. Here's what I can tell you.

If you're the kind of guy who obsesses over arena placement and can't have fun if you aren't in the top ten, go ahead and restart. You'll be insanely far behind the curve, not just character-wise, but mods too. People in the top of your shard will not only have newer, crazy overpowered characters like Traya and Revan, they will have them modded for unreasonable speed stats, and you just won't be able to touch them at all for a while.

If you don't care so much about arena, I don't see any reason to throw away the decent amount of progress you already have. Personally, I set about building a squad for every special event and collecting all the legendaries, and that's kept me busy and enjoying myself for about 6 months now. I still don't do well in arena - I manage the top-200 payout on a good day - but I did get a brand new fleet arena shard, so I place #1 there most days, which is nice.

If you do decide to stick it out, getting all the requirements together for Commander Luke and Jedi Training Rey is probably a good place to start. Good luck!

Top 10? Gods no lol. I could barely graze top 50 when I was actively playing daily so even getting close to that would be a stretch. I kinda just wanna play and see how I feel again. I really wasn't happy with the game when I left so I don't know if enough has changed within the game (or myself) that I would even plan on staying. So that's going to be my main priority really. I used to be really heavy into Arena but I don't know if I have the drive for it anymore.

And yeah, I'm a little apprehensive about abandoning the work (and money lol) that I put into it, but starting again might be fun I guess.

• Akaryn
    58 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    From my experience, Top 10 is only maintainable via 2 ways: 1) an insane amount of pre-planning (i.e. follow the guide posted somewhere in this forum) on preloading thousands of energy points and then dominate for some time; this requires about 3-4 months of not-fun-collecting-energy.
    2) spend money.

I once went with way #1 (in the glorious pre-NS) phoenix era. It took a long time of boredom collecting. And then it got blown apart by the Nightsistern and P2P guys.
    From my experience, Top 10 is only maintainable via 2 ways: 1) an insane amount of pre-planning (i.e. follow the guide postet somewhere in this forum) on preloading thousands of energy points and then dominate for a good while; this requires about 3-4 months of not-fun-collecting-energy.
    2) spend money.

I once went with way #1 (in the glorious pre-NS) phoenix era. It took a long time of boredom collecting. And then it got all blown apart by the Nightsistern and P2P guys.

Yeah, when I first started, I was able to maintain top 10 fairly easily with my droid team (it was a new shard and I bought the droid pack lol) but then Wiggs came and that was the end of that xD Then the whales appeared and things went to hell from there.

I could start a new account and go the Phoenix/Empire/Rebels/Resistance/First Order route (in that order) but that sounds kinda boring. Mainly due the fact that the majority of newer players will be going down that exact route I believe.
  • Akaryn
    58 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    I think you are missing the fact that the majority of new players are, in fact, new players :-D It is quite amusing to play in the beginning. If you are lucky, you'll only face about 10-50 **** in your 20k big shard. The knowledge to go for your suggested team order only comes from engaging into the game a bit more (as in, being not new).

That's also why I would recommend just playing your old account. You have good toons, you don't need to farm 4-6 months for them any more. The rest will come. Forget Ranks 1-20, but the rest is pretty much open to you (even as a F2P, or in your case, with little spending).
    I think you are missing the fact that the majority of new players are, in fact, new players :-D It is quite amusing to play in the beginning. If you are lucky, you'll only face about 10-50 **** in your 20k big shard. The knowledge to go for your suggested team order only comes from engaging into the game a bit more (as in, being not new).

That's also why I would recommend just playing your old account. You have good toons, you don't need to farm 4-6 months for them any more. The rest will come. Forget Ranks 1-20, but the rest is pretty much open to you (even as a F2P, or in your case, with little spending).

Oh for sure haha. I'm sure they'll be a bunch of headless chickens running around for a while but the information for the most efficient farming is so easily accessible now (compared to 2017 and particularly 2016 when I made my first account) it would be hard to believe that many people wouldn't seek it out as it isn't hard to find....at all lol.
  • Monel
    2784 posts Member
    JayNyxx wrote: »
    yaklan42 wrote: »
    You are going to be behind but the meta is ever evolving so you can definitely catch up. If you enjoy, play. If not, enjoy your extra free time.

Potentially. But I'm so far behind in resources, which is what I'm concerned about the most.

Resources are fairly easy to come by vs a year ago. That being said there are a lot more characters now vs a year ago so it will definitely seem like there aren't enough. Easy thing with resources is focus where you want to focus and ignore the rest. If your goal is to have the new and shiny you will always be chasing.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    @JayNyxx,

If you keep your current account, you will be able to raid heroic AAT/Rancor from day one, and also contribute more to help your guild in TB/TW. Furthermore, you will be closer to become ready for various new individual events (you're almost ready for the CLS event, f.ex., and with a bit of work, you will be able to unlock a 5* Chewbacca before new year). Also, you will be able to find a stronger guild, than you would if you start a new account. You will loose all this, if you start a new account.

Yes, it will be months before you can reach top—200 in arena again, but I wouldn't worry too much about that. The crystal gain from top—500 to top—200 is neglectible. I would just focus on guild events and developing your roster steadily, and doing whatever is most fun for you — until you get the opportinity to jump on the META train and collect a team that can reach top—100. If you build your genosians. and a fleet commander / capital ship, you may be able to reach just inside top—50 in fleet arena 2—3 months from now, for an extra 50 crystals.

However, by the end of the day, it's really just a matter of what you prefer, and will have more fun doing.

MTFBWY

PS. I rebooted an alt account after a 14 months hiatus. It's doable and fun and challengingin its own way.
  • JayNyxx wrote: »
    Akaryn wrote: »

Thinking about balancing a new account while still maintaining my old account to see which I prefer. I'm currently 573 in Arena so reaching top 100 seems kind of bleak haha. And it definitely seems like there has been quite a bit of progression since I last played.
    I started at game launch, after a year or so i left the game for more than a year...

When i came into the game again i started at 2000+ arena,after first week i was arround 1000, after first month about 500 (or 200 cant remember xD), 2-3 monts later i was arround 100-50 and now im 50-20 (it depends on the meta, with no revan im 50 now, but this golden week between chewie and revan i was 20-10 for example xD).

To be fair i came to the game arround ships release so was very competitive in fleet along all the ship history, and it became a great gem source after some months xD
    I also got CLS first time he came to the game cuz i had every needed toon at this point... So a good arena improve too...

But a half developed account is far superior to play raids, TW, TB, legendary events, etc. While a new one is better for arena/fleet arena so as u wish

I think ur best option is to start a new account (using this perfect start guide to get the most advantage before u join an arena shard) and keep playing with ur old one until u realize if its worth it or not... If it is forget ur new one, if its not just start playing the new one with this huge advantage i said xD
  • Don’t start over when u stop again will be in same boat and will be hard for u to farm same toons again not a enjoyable experience waiting on them or putting gear on.

U might not hit top 50 but 100 is doable whenever people stop playing ur opportunity to take there spot. I thought about starting over just to get early shard positions but can’t farm toons again lol
  • Definitely come back! Game is still lots of fun... I haven't missed a day since launch... Yes you are super behind in g12 characters etc but you aren't starting from scratch... biggest things to focus on aside from characters to unlock legendary characters etc is to build multiple teams that can be used in Territory Wars and Grand Arena...
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    If you don't plan to crack top 5, I'd stay on this account since you'll be eventually able to catch up to a meta cracking top 50. "I'm behind" is just a mindset, when you were playing you were already behind of majority of the playerbase. But the game accomodates dividing players their own league luckily. So you just have to adjust your expectations and see if you enjoy it.
  • One thing you should remember is, that there is a natural limit as to how strong the strongest can get.
    At some point the playing field becomes more leveled as the strongest players can't get any stronger, and you can start to catch up :)

I noticed this myself, as I started out doing poorly in fleet arena, then I focused and caught up and since I caught up, others have done the same and now fleet battles in my shard is more of a challenge ;)
  • SilverFalco8
    19 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    I started playing again a few days ago after a 6 month hiatus. I’m 250 in arena. I’m still missing JTR Revan Traya Chewy C3PO BB8. I’m fixing my account and I started a F2P mini account just for fun. I got bored waiting for my energy to replenish. When I left I was in the top 100. The crystal output 200-500 is decent and this game is so much more than arena so just fix your account and if you feel the need too make a new account as well. That is if you have the time to run two accounts.
  • I would restart. I also did the same I quit and came back and everything was diff. I focused on phx and my fleet like going for Unmasked and silencer.. phx ships biggs ackbar at first and go for boba/vader. Currently fight for 20th arena and daily finishing first in fleet since like week 4 of fleet being unlocked. Once I unlocked boba life changed lol. Started fleet with a 4*silencer which not too many others had.

I tryed for a month to tinker my account but I quit just after the very first yoda event and started back up February.. I kept making accounts until I pulled Lando in a chromium pack with the crystals earned by lvl 7. While he was solid to help make a good heist team fast... I think Jyn may be the better option in the long game. Z vader lead with thrawn tfp tarkin and jyn I have been able to solo heroic rancor. Unlocked CLS and auo it now.

Good luck.
  • Kai_Mulai
    683 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    The advantage of starting over is the opportunity to gain better arena ranks and higher crystal income, which you can use to vastly speed up farming characters and gear. If you restart and stay competitive (top 50 arena & top 20 fleet, as an example), you’ll have many more (300 in my example) crystals a day to use, which will allow you to get back to your current level in 6-9 months and a year to a year and a half from now, you’ll be ahead of where you would be if you resumed. So if you want to be closer to the cutting edge of getting newer or preferred content faster, that’s the way to go.

The advantage of resuming where you are is you already have a solid roster and can begin working toward legendary and journey characters to make it better. And although your farming progress will be much slower, you can start now and build on what you already have. So if you like your current roster and you are okay with a more leisurely pace in the game, then keep what you have and go from there.
  • Resume this account, I stopped playing for a year and came back for about 2 months now, and for me the game is still fun. I can't get higher than 1500 right now in arena, so I only have enough crystals for 3 normal energy refreshes a day and about 2 cantina refreshes every week, but I'm still developing my teams and getting my toons together for the legendary characters.