Grand arena redesign

This might be way off base but I wanted to see others’ thoughts.

The grand arena seems to be stressing people out and seems to be a mash up of SA and TW...

I saw a post on here awhile back, I think the OP called it a Platoon arena. Basically, take a large team of 8-10 characters with two active leader abilities. We know two leaders can be interesting from our ally leaders in PVE sections...

I think the GA could be the perfect environment for that kind of experimentation. But keep it small, maybe one super team for each territory instead of three per section.

I think it would add layers of complexity to team building where the SA and TW have gotten settled in their META teams...

Thoughts?

Replies

• Revan and Bastilla led Jedi. Seems legit. I would not want that.
    Apart from that cool idea for PvE content: something like a (Mythic) Event/Raid were you face very strong opposition with a higher number of toons.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    We have not seen the full implementation of the game mode yet, so it is a little hard to call for a redesign. Never a bad time to offer feedback though.

The dev team have made statements that they are looking at the feedback and also the game mode and rewards are subject to change. I'm hoping we see a more fluid design for this mode that involves at a minimum the bonus structure we saw being introduced in TW, and maybe other aspects of the mode changing, i.e. - adding ships (which may happen) or not, or changing the team setup from the standard we are used to.

I agree this is a good environment for them to add some of the requested changes like 2 leaders and whatnot.
  • Well, I think at least, if they don’t introduce ship into grand arena, at least make match making it based on ground GP only until they introduce fleet in arena. Right now, ground only grand arena favor people who had higher ground GP.
  • Good point, Kyno, redesign was a poor choice of words. I’m not terribly cross over the GA so maybe more like additional game modes later on. I didn’t mean it as a harsh criticism of the dev’s work!
  • Akaryn wrote: »
    Revan and Bastilla led Jedi. Seems legit. I would not want that.
    Apart from that cool idea for PvE content: something like a (Mythic) Event/Raid were you face very strong opposition with a higher number of toons.

Yeah, that seems like overkill. I wasn’t thinking about how the answer to the lagging Jedi is a new character with an extreme leader ability instead of reworking older characters.

It would get bogged down with Revan/Bastila or dual BH leads. Some factions are lacking in strong/varied leader abilities...

Maybe not such a great idea after all...
  • So far I am very unimpressed with GA. It's simply one on one TW - but not nearly as interesting or fun for several reasons:

1) More RNG-based. Since you are only fighting 6 teams, poor RNG is magnified. RNG is balanced out over 50 guildmates and all their battles. As such one poor run means your done.

2) Either you have the counters...or you don't. In TW you have options - which teams to attack in what areas. In GA you have fewer options and once you've used what might be the "usual" counter, you are pretty much done.

3) No territories = no strategy. In TW, part of the fun is the strategy of trying to block or open new territories, trying to "encourage" the opponent into using up certain teams on one territory only to find a stronger "wall" behind it, where to "hide" some weaker teams, etc. None of that exists in GA.

I admit that this is only after one play through, but it feels like they actually took TW and SA, threw out the best parts of both (the immediacy of SA and the strategy of TW), and kept what became GA. Again, only the first iteration, but after this first one, it feels more like just a retread (and a lesser one) of existing content. Not at all enjoyable.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • I prefer the idea of GA where I need a minimum of 12 teams - 6 on offense and 6 on defense - based on my GP level. Having a Platoon arena where it's basically just your top 8-10 characters seems too much like it would just be more of the same arena we have already and meta teams except it's your top 8-10 characters instead of your top 5. I'd rather have a game mode like GA where depth of roster has importance instead of just who has the top 5-10 characters.
  • Grand Arena 👎🏼 Nobody need this new Typ of Event.
  • Bruh. We haven't even seen a true Grand Arena match yet. Maybe chill for five minutes before we start suggesting complete overhauls?
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Akaryn wrote: »
    Revan and Bastilla led Jedi. Seems legit. I would not want that.

Yeah, that seems like overkill. I wasn’t thinking about how the answer to the lagging Jedi is a new character with an extreme leader ability instead of reworking older characters.

It would get bogged down with Revan/Bastila or dual BH leads. Some factions are lacking in strong/varied leader abilities...

Maybe not such a great idea after all...

It would be fun to see if ep/traya beats revan/bastilla though.
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    Jarvind wrote: »
    Bruh. We haven't even seen a true Grand Arena match yet. Maybe chill for five minutes before we start suggesting complete overhauls?

Welcome to the forums!
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • It would be good to have a 'sub 60K GP team territory' so that we can make use of the whole roster

The way it is now you end up with 100 leftover toons that cant make a scratch in your opponents wall.
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    It would be good to have a 'sub 60K GP team territory' so that we can make use of the whole roster

You can make all your territories a sub 60K GP team territory. :p
  • Don’t get bogged down on your number of teams needed. I had to place 7 and attack 7.
  • Monel
    2776 posts Member
    Kyno wrote: »
    We have not seen the full implementation of the game mode yet, so it is a little hard to call for a redesign. Never a bad time to offer feedback though.

The dev team have made statements that they are looking at the feedback and also the game mode and rewards are subject to change. I'm hoping we see a more fluid design for this mode that involves at a minimum the bonus structure we saw being introduced in TW, and maybe other aspects of the mode changing, i.e. - adding ships (which may happen) or not, or changing the team setup from the standard we are used to.

I agree this is a good environment for them to add some of the requested changes like 2 leaders and whatnot.

Revan + Bastilla = Revstilla unbeatable
  • My one suggestion so far is to be able to exclude characters during the Preview phase to lower your gp, up to a certain % of your total gp. If excluded they can't be used on defense or offense, but it would adjust the matchmaking. Would be a strategic risk/reward way of managing GA, especially for those with lots of obsolete characters from years past
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    kalidor wrote: »
    My one suggestion so far is to be able to exclude characters during the Preview phase to lower your gp, up to a certain % of your total gp. If excluded they can't be used on defense or offense, but it would adjust the matchmaking. Would be a strategic risk/reward way of managing GA, especially for those with lots of obsolete characters from years past

That sounds like even more work. No thanks.
  • TVF wrote: »
    kalidor wrote: »
    My one suggestion so far is to be able to exclude characters during the Preview phase to lower your gp, up to a certain % of your total gp. If excluded they can't be used on defense or offense, but it would adjust the matchmaking. Would be a strategic risk/reward way of managing GA, especially for those with lots of obsolete characters from years past

That sounds like even more work. No thanks.

Considering it can be done within 24h for a 7 day event and would be less effort than assigning to platoons, I don't think it'd be that much in the overall scheme of things. I also doubt it'll happen, so probably not even worth debating :)
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    Kluge wrote: »
    I'd just as soon they scrap the whole thing. It's already become obvious after two exhibition rounds that Grand Arena is just another tool so the whales who spend to 7-star and G12 their rosters can win-win-win, get a ton of slicing material and widen the ptp-ftp gap even further. EA/CG is going all out to either convert us to paying players or force us to quit.

Nah to all of this.
  • Who wanted GA anyway?