Crystal betting feature for GA

2Next

Replies

• capifico22 wrote: »
    Halo wrote: »
    Mobile games are in enough trouble for pseudo gambling, this is not a good idea whatsoever

Are you on retainer as their council? Or just afraid to lose?

Neither. I’m just stating a fact.
    Apple forced games to show probability on packs/loot boxes due to the gambling aspect, and unless you’ve been living under a rock you’d know that a lot of countries have opened up government equiries into the state of gambling in video games, with mobile ones being at the forefront of this.

It doesn’t take a genius to work out that the last thing a video game wants is even more scrutiny on it due to more gambling aspects being added, irrespective of whether it’s random chance or making bets.
  • What you said originally was not a fact, it was your opinion.
  • Monel
    2784 posts Member
    capifico22 wrote: »
    What you said originally was not a fact, it was your opinion.

It was both, he factually stated they were in trouble. Then voiced his opinion about it being a bad idea.

It's a bad idea, but I'd support it!
  • This idea has some merit, but it could get out of hand very easily and not a territory they would want to go in.

I could see a Discord channel appearing, a place for meeting matchups and selling game-earned Crystals for discounted prices through PayPal and that would be a no-no for CG.
  • Do you know what kind of backlash EA would get for promoting betting after the fiasco that was Battlefront 2?! Haha! There's no way this feature ever comes to the game
  • I love this idea. It should be implemented immediately with season 1. Great idea @capifico22!!!!
  • yohann269 wrote: »
    I love this idea. It should be implemented immediately with season 1. Great idea @capifico22!!!!

love you too.
  • Neo2551
    1824 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    I would duel my alt and get free crystals :) [This summarizes why it is a bad idea]
  • Neo2551 wrote: »
    I would duel my alt and get free crystals :)

You don't pick your opponent and your alt is likelt way to low of gp to ever let it match you to it.
  • Pointless discussion. This will never happen. It's illegal to gamble in games that kids can play. Loot boxes are already squeaking by that rule on a technicality (it is gambling according to my opinion), and that loophole may not stay open forever. If EA wants the hammer of regulation brought down on its head then this would be a good way to make it happen.
  • JacenRoe wrote: »
    Pointless discussion. This will never happen. It's illegal to gamble in games that kids can play. Loot boxes are already squeaking by that rule on a technicality (it is gambling according to my opinion), and that loophole may not stay open forever. If EA wants the hammer of regulation brought down on its head then this would be a good way to make it happen.

Only Sith deal in Absolutes!!
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    JacenRoe wrote: »
    Pointless discussion. This will never happen. It's illegal to gamble in games that kids can play. Loot boxes are already squeaking by that rule on a technicality (it is gambling according to my opinion), and that loophole may not stay open forever. If EA wants the hammer of regulation brought down on its head then this would be a good way to make it happen.

This.

Not to mention the rage quitting that would ensue.
    What you said originally was not a fact, it was your opinion.

It being a bad idea for a mobile game to add more gambling elements is definitely a fact.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    JacenRoe wrote: »

This.

Not to mention the rage quitting that would ensue.

There's tons of people I'd love to make rage quit.

Once matchmaking is determined, you propose a bet to your opponent, say 1,000 crystals. Your opponent can accept, counter, or decline. It then gets taken out of your stockpiles and put in escrow at the time of the bet (so no welshing). Winner take all.

It would become a capital gain and thus taxable here in the US. Online games dance on the razors edge as is, with loot boxes being compared to gambling.
  • FalenXLacer
    342 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Once matchmaking is determined, you propose a bet to your opponent, say 1,000 crystals. Your opponent can accept, counter, or decline. It then gets taken out of your stockpiles and put in escrow at the time of the bet (so no welshing). Winner take all.

It would become a capital gain and thus taxable here in the US. Online games dance on the razors edge as is, with loot boxes being compared to gambling.

1. Gambling earnings (and losses) *are regular income, not capital gains.
    2. If you were taxed on your crystal income (you’re not), you’d be taxed on crystals whatever the source, not just those earned through gambling.

*brainfart
    I demand Grand Arena Elo ratings.

Lieeeessssssssss

1. Gambling earnings (and losses) *are regular income, not capital gains.
    2. If you were taxed on your crystal income (you’re not), you’d be taxed on crystals whatever the source, not just those earned through gambling.

*brainfart

Yeah that. GDPR is heating up on much of this.

how can you have capital gains on a fake currency? Lots of games have wagering included in them. remember there are lots of sources to earn crystals without buying them. so if you wager an in game currency that you spent nothing on how can you possibly get to capital gains?

how can you have capital gains on a fake currency? Lots of games have wagering included in them. remember there are lots of sources to earn crystals without buying them. so if you wager an in game currency that you spent nothing on how can you possibly get to capital gains?

If you could sell the virtual currency for $ you would have a capital gain based on the increase in value and ordinary income based on your crystal income. Or if you could barter outside of the game with it for food or other items, you'd have to report it. The IRS is really cracking down on oeople not reporting bit coin transactions.

But while this is similar, without being able to use crystals outside the game, the case for it being taxable would be thin. Though with you being able to buy crystals, you could put a value on them and make the case that you receive an increase in value and the irs would consider that income. But the case for that is thin and probably wouldn't hold up in court.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Let's stay on topic. The addition of betting to GA.

If you want to discuss the exciting world of tax law and its implications on the ever growing global ecommerce market, that can be done somewhere else.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    Let's stay on topic. The addition of betting to GA.

If you want to discuss the exciting world of tax law and its implications on the ever growing global ecommerce market, that can be done somewhere else.

you're no fun.

Gems are bought with real world currency, which has been debated for years, as to is it or is it not, taxable. Now, if the current investigation by the GDPR rules loot boxes are gambling, online games will be really upset over lost revenue, and be looking for new ways to recoup it. But who knows.