Mod Challenges are hot garbage

Slothmaster
247 posts Member
edited December 2018
The title says enough, so I’ll get right to my suggestion: level 85 players should get a final tier of mod challenges that awards ONLY5 DOT MODS.

Receiving majority three and four dot mods, which have been rendered totally worthless to elder players since mods 2.0, is a kick in the balls and a massive waste of energy.

EDIT: since y’all keep ignoring the comma in the above paragraph, I feel the need to state that mods 2.0 was a great thing. Confused? Read it again more carefully.

We have the mod shipments of course, and Mythic events provide a nice supplement as well, but from what I can tell, challenges are meant to be the “main” source of farming mods... and they’re hot garbage.

Cmon guys, isn’t 70% E-tier bad enough? At least let me slice the trash you give me.
Post edited by Slothmaster on

Replies

• Ohhhhh goodness. Leave it alone. First they aren't mostly 3 and 4 dot mods, second, mods 2.0 isn't.... how did you so elegantly put it.... a "kick in the balls" it's a fine system that 1) everyone is playing with, and 2) leaves the elder players that had a bunch of leveled mods from the old days a slight advantage. Last, if you don't like the mods that are given away for free in the events, do what everyone else had to do, and go farm them. They aren't trying to give away top tier stuff, they're just trying to get mods out into the wild.

For the life of me, I will never understand why people insist that a game that primarily consists of farming, be something other than that. Truth be told, if everything that people wanted were just given away, the game would become boring and stale. Not everything deserves to be complained about, just enjoy the game, and when you finally do get that super awesome mod that you've been after, rejoice in the fact that everyone else is going to have to work just as hard as you just had to in order to get something like it.
  • Alas, bad RNG streaks happen with all farmable items. Usually, you get mostly 5 dot mods on tier 3 though. I just wish triangle and cross mods would drop more often. I'm always short on those, even when I don't care much about the stats.
  • @Trent_Illician First, yes they are. Second, you clearly misread that because I have no issue with mods 2.0. I was merely stating that slicing and the addition of 6 dot mods makes even the best 4 dot mod meaningless, when previously you could have gotten away with using them. And lastly, they quite literally are giving away the top tier stuff for free: mythic events are all purples and golds. No energy spent. You want the garbage? Now THAT you have to farm for.

There’s more than enough RNG to go around with primary stats, secondaries and whether or not they’ll roll... you didn’t even consider the idea, you just shot it down because you wanted to call someone out for complaining. Fine, you want the farm to still take a long time. Make the final tier take like 40 energy per sim. Make it drop 100% E-tier. I don’t care. Just don’t give rewards that are literally worthless.

Miss the point harder next time, why don’t you?
  • And say what you will about the leveling changes to mods with mods 2.0... (I don’t mind it, personally, and I certainly think the following benefits outweigh the bad...) but don’t forget they gave us an independent source of energy to deal with mods, they are absolutely free other than credits (and don’t forget they HALVED the cost of leveling!) to take as far as 5A.

The single fact that they no longer compete with Cantina farms is the ultimate win in my book.

Add to that the addition of higher quality drops in the mod store, more and more events like mythics that drop mods for free... we really did win that one.
  • @TheJEFFtm 100% agreed, we are in a much better spot for mods than we ever have been.

I still think people are unfortunately missing my point here. I’m not asking for a faster farm and easier mods, I’m asking not to have legitimately useless items flood my inventory.
  • I don't really farm mods since mods 2.0 dropped. I get more than enough to slice through various events and have a bunch I need to go through often to weed out those with potential.

I've got a couple of better characters with a full 6 dot set but many more good mods to go before I start using energy to farm more mods.

I do occasionally buy some from the store if there are amazing stats though.
  • @TheJEFFtm 100% agreed, we are in a much better spot for mods than we ever have been.

I still think people are unfortunately missing my point here. I’m not asking for a faster farm and easier mods, I’m asking not to have legitimately useless items flood my inventory.

I mostly don’t mind the mod challenges, since even if I’m not getting the particular mods I need, the nodes drop a decent number of credits, and the mods sell for a decent price too.

That said, when the triangle mod I need has just dropped, and then I notice it only has 4 dots... it’s not a great feeling.
    I demand Grand Arena Elo ratings.
  • @Slothmaster You right about one thing, I did misunderstand what you were calling a kick in the balls, however, I'm still right that the RNG doesn't primarily drop 3 and 4 dot mods. Keep an eye on it over a longer period of time, and you'll see that it's more than 50% 5 dot's.

On another note, if everyone is telling you that you're complaining about that need not be complained about... guess what.... I didn't shoot you down just to say "you heard it here first folks" I shot you down because there are legitimate things to complain about, and by picking battles like this, it drowns out things that actually deserve attention.

P.S. If you're ACTUALLY comparing getting a worthless mod with getting kicked in the balls, you take this game far too seriously.
  • TVF
    36578 posts Member
    You can always tell when someone hasn't been playing long enough to remember when mods weren't even guaranteed to drop.

At least you can sell those 3 and 4 dot mods.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • I remember when they weren't guaranteed.
    I also still think mod challenges are hot garbage.

If you honestly think that you aren't getting a ton of 3 & 4 dot mods, you obviously haven't been farming offense mods lately.

I used to do 1-2 month stints on mod farming. Would get a useful mod about every 3rd to 4th day. Going on 4 weeks of absolute garbage now. Not a single even remotely useful mod.

@Trent_Illician who is everyone? A total of 5? 6? people are in this thread.
  • I agree. At the absolute minimum we should be able to instantly see the mods we farm rather than have to go through the inventory system and hunt down the crap mods we just got. Personally I'd prefer they got rid of the 3 and 4 dot mods as rewards for the top level farms and either just give 5 dot mods with more triangles crosses and arrows of colors other than gray or just replace the 3 and 4 dot mods with straight credits to save me the step of selling them.
  • " I shot you down because there are legitimate things to complain about, and by picking battles like this, it drowns out things that actually deserve attention.

Understood, sir. May I please have the list of approved forum topics, sir.
  • I agree with OP. Been farming the garbage mods long enough to know it needs some improvements. Its annoying to sell all the grey mods on a daily base.
    Reduce the drop rate to 50% or lower to save us the hassle of screen afted screen to sell garbage.
    439-259-888 I have a bad habit of editing my typo's after posting
  • TVF
    36578 posts Member
    It takes 5 seconds to sell all your 3/4 dot mods.
  • TVF wrote: »
    It takes 5 seconds to sell all your 3/4 dot mods.

3 to 4 dot mods are only one part or it.
    Then you have 5 dot Es
    5 dot Ds
    5 dot Cs

Either you are intentionally pretending to not have this issue, or you need to work on your mods.
  • TVF
    36578 posts Member
    Or you need to start slicing...
  • I have 4 dot mods that are better than some of my 5 dot ones (+15 speed speed on a 4 dot)
    I like the new mod 2.0 system, life saver with its own energy meters.

Selling worthless mods, last time i got almost 1.5 million credits.

• Vendi1983
    5023 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    uf01qpnutk04.png

A pretty good way to start my day. Both gold had +speed as secondaries. One went to +10 the other to +17 (4). Never had double gold on a multi-sim before.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Works great for me. Farm, sell the chaff and use the proceeds to upgrade the prospective good mods. Also a cheap source of xp for anyone leveling up.

Slicing material farming I'm more 'meh' on.
  • TVF
    36578 posts Member
    That's weird.
  • t0neg0d wrote: »
    Then you have 5 dot Es
    5 dot Ds
    5 dot Cs

5 dot E's aren't useless, atleast not more useless than 5 dot A's.
    Since slicing they've all got an equal potential, it just costs more resources (slicing materials + some credits for slicing) the lower the quality they are when you farmed them.
    Given the low-ish droprate of gold (A) mods, alternating between mod farming and slicing material farming + upgrading E/D/C/B mods to see if they're any good might result in better mods for the same amount of mod energy spend. I for one believe it's a faster method to gain better mods than waiting for that uber purple/gold mod that's ready to go after leveling.
  • Forum users always be like “eh it’s fine how it is” or “it used to be worse, therefore it’s good”.

Not even considering your own ideas to improve the game, just happy to have it exactly as it is.
  • Ever since the mods 2.0, farming mods the old way (mod challenge table) is obsolete. Either buy the mods from the store or get them from events. The only thing worth farming is lvl 9 of the mod battles table, which is not newbie friendly at all. Now time for the rant... With how much mods have come into the game they should rename StarWarsGalaxyofHeroes to StarWarsGalaxyofMods.
  • TVF
    36578 posts Member
    Lol farming mods is not obsolete.
  • Vendi1983
    5023 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    I agree, mod farming is far from obsolete. You just have to invest more than the "daily allotment" if you want to see better than sub-par results. Unless of course you're lucky.

I renew mod energy all three x50 Crystal refreshes each day. It usually is slicing material 2-3 days a week and new mods the other 4-5. You get real crud runs of all grey squares and circles, 3-4 dots etc. Then you get:

c19gdcs9amwx.png

Both arrows were +speed, and it was my first gold speed arrow drop from a mod sim. So I was pretty stoked. Up to 65 +30 speed arrows in my roster.

Farm, farm, farm, farm, farm...
    Post edited by Vendi1983 on
  • Vendi, that was one heck of a pull!
  • Couldn't believe it when it was there. I almost never get +speed on farmed gold mods!