Easy way to eliminate the shard chat issue

Prev13
I have a suggestion on how to eliminate people breaking the spirit of a 1v1 mode like arena. People are going to gang up on other players they deem "hostile" for what ever reason. Some shard chats have outrageous rules while others have laid back systems. Either way its still a collective trying to organize a way to win outside the parameters of how the 1v1 arena game mode works. Instead of just doing pay outs at set times maybe add more rewards for people who hold certain positions or climb positions over a set time. This would nearly entirely eliminate the usefulness of shard chats as someone who's sitting in say the top 5 would get better rewards the longer they held those positions.

Also I know a lot of people won't like this suggestion because they are currently reaping the rewards of these chats and won't like that they have to go back to doing things on their own.

Replies

• Ultra
    11502 posts Moderator
    Options
    I don’t want to be on my phone always just to make sure I’m at the top for a large portion of the 24 hour period.

I have a life outside this game
  • Options
    I have a suggestion on how to eliminate people breaking the spirit of a 1v1 mode like arena. People are going to gang up on other players they deem "hostile" for what ever reason. Some shard chats have outrageous rules while others have laid back systems. Either way its still a collective trying to organize a way to win outside the parameters of how the 1v1 arena game mode works. Instead of just doing pay outs at set times maybe add more rewards for people who hold certain positions or climb positions over a set time. This would nearly entirely eliminate the usefulness of shard chats as someone who's sitting in say the top 5 would get better rewards the longer they held those positions.

Also I know a lot of people won't like this suggestion because they are currently reaping the rewards of these chats and won't like that they have to go back to doing things on their own.

You really think that would stop shard chats. You'd just encourage groups of 10 or so to collude to block everyone else from the top 10. There'd still be deals.

Though that would likely kill the laid back shard chats and force the more competitive memners to become more cutthroat.
  • Options

You really think that would stop shard chats. You'd just encourage groups of 10 or so to collude to block everyone else from the top 10. There'd still be deals.

Though that would likely kill the laid back shard chats and force the more competitive memners to become more cutthroat.

It's a star. Also cutthroat = competitiveness. Why would I sitting at 10 want the guy at number one to reap extra benefits for sitting there for multiple days while I get less. He would just keep getting further and further ahead the rest of us. You would end up with maybe short term alliances but then you wouldn't have any kinds of long term ones.

Also maybe only number 1 gets this benefit. Or top 3. Essentially this provides benefits to people knocking them down or trying to hold their spots.
  • Options
    Ultra wrote: »
    I don’t want to be on my phone always just to make sure I’m at the top for a large portion of the 24 hour period.

I have a life outside this game

Ok so you aren't a competitive player without others doing the dirty work of handling hostiles for you?
  • Options

It's a star. Also cutthroat = competitiveness. Why would I sitting at 10 want the guy at number one to reap extra benefits for sitting there for multiple days while I get less. He would just keep getting further and further ahead the rest of us. You would end up with maybe short term alliances but then you wouldn't have any kinds of long term ones.

Also maybe only number 1 gets this benefit. Or top 3. Essentially this provides benefits to people knocking them down or trying to hold their spots.

they could make a rotation just like they do now for players that share a payout.

Basically the player that takes 10th one day takes 9th the next then the one who had 1st moves to the end.

So effectively you just encourage shard chats to contantly snipe non members out of the top 50 while agreeing to share the new rewards.

Your change would not meet your goal.
  • Options

they could make a rotation just like they do now for players that share a payout.

Basically the player that takes 10th one day takes 9th the next then the one who had 1st moves to the end.

So effectively you just encourage shard chats to contantly snipe non members out of the top 50 while agreeing to share the new rewards.

Sure it would if the players get ever increasing awards for maintaining position. Why would you ever give up your position at number one if you got 4 times the amount of pay out for holding it for a week or something (numbers can obviously be scaled better. just an example.) because if you drop from 1-3 then you don't get that reoccurring reward. OR 9-10
  • Options

Sure it would if the players get ever increasing awards for maintaining position. Why would you ever give up your position at number one if you got 4 times the amount of pay out for holding it for a week or something (numbers can obviously be scaled better. just an example.) because if you drop from 1-3 then you don't get that reoccurring reward. OR 9-10

probably because in reality no team holds on defense and by banding together they can all get better collective rewards without having to constanly be on your phone.

It would cost hundreds of crystals a day in refreshes to hold 1st for most of a day and probably still wouldn't happen in the hyper competitive environment you describe.

Or people can accept help and play block every few days and get a turn at 1st without the sniping.

So as I said, it wouldn't stop shard chats.
  • Admiral_Gibbs
    37 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

probably because in reality no team holds on defense and by banding together they can all get better collective rewards without having to constanly be on your phone.

It would cost hundreds of crystals a day in refreshes to hold 1st for most of a day and probably still wouldn't happen in the hyper competitive environment you describe.

Or people can accept help and play block every few days and get a turn at 1st without the sniping.

I think you're misunderstanding what I mean by "hold" a position. Literally no team just sits and racks up defenses.

It would really just come down to how you code the increasing rewards. If there's a grace period of 30 min/hour or something like if you hold this for x percentage of the day. or per hour with 31 min per hour counting as a full hour that way the could lose it and retake it before being booted. That in and of itself would not be that difficult to code and would essentially eliminate nearly everything you're talking about.
  • Options

I think you're misunderstanding what I mean by "hold" a position. Literally no team just sits and racks up defenses.

It would really just come down to how you code the increasing rewards. If there's a grace period of 30 min/hour or something like if you hold this for x percentage of the day. or per hour with 31 min per hour counting as a full hour that way the could lose it and retake it before being booted. That in and of itself would not be that difficult to code and would essentially eliminate nearly everything you're talking about.

Ok so if rewards are based on % of the day 1st is held whats to stop 3 players from deciding to hold it for 8hrs each and block for each other. After all in the system you describe, you'd have to be glued to your phone most of tbe day and night to hold it for longer than that by yourself.
  • Options
    They should have made shards geographical and each had a single payout time not a rotating payout. So long as people have different payout times shard chats will exist to work as they do. Mine is a waste of my time as been told only whales deserve top 20 so as a player who spends at best $10 a month I'm not good enough for them and they ensure to gang up if I try to crack top 20. It is what it is and CG/EA doesn't care as this is the 1000 thread about shard chats and never a dev post about it.
  • Options

Ok so if rewards are based on % of the day 1st is held whats to stop 3 players from deciding to hold it for 8hrs each and block for each other. After all in the system you describe, you'd have to be glued to your phone most of tbe day and night to hold it for longer than that by yourself.

lol my son you are really nit picking.

Like I said there are various ways to code this it could be like has to be a majority of the day. so 12.5 hours or something.

Even then your argument about oh no they have to keep checking their phone really isn't valid because the whole point is to be competitive. So people at the top should be checking their phone instead of having a shard chat go in there and basically do that for them because they know they will sit at a certain point due to the collusion.

Basically if you're complaining about oh they have to be glued to their phone then you're also probably either

A. benefiting from the shard chat

or

B. not really in a position to hold 1 for any kind of extended period.

• TVF
    36598 posts Member
    Options
    Oh look this thread again.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • JK_47
    41 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    The whole concept of shard chats is a bunch of **** and completely goes against the spirit of arena. I refuse to join mine and am attacked so many times in a day when I get close to top 50 it’s insane. The people who want this to continue are the people who are colluding. A fix is long past due for this issue. Share reshuffle and take out personal user names completely
  • Options

I’m glad to hear you have so much free time in your day to make this a viable option.

I don’t.

They’ve just allowed us to change our payouts and reclaim our personal/family time, this idea is simply awful.
  • Vendi1983
    5023 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I like the idea of deciding once every 24 hours when you want your arena payout. You get to rank #1? Hit "claim". Boom there you go. Then it's greyed out for 24 hrs with the same countdown timer as the raid join feature.

Its a virtual currency, so who cares if it's spread around more. They could even shift rewards down a tier. Less for reaching #1 but you control when you get it/more people get it.

Gives everyone their life back and lets countless people with varying work schedules or traveling jobs still manage their payouts.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    edited December 2018
    Options

Basically if you're complaining about oh they have to be glued to their phone then you're also probably either

or

Or C. Dont think that someone should be rewarded just because they can play more times a day than someone else.

Or D. Actually doenst want to be on their phone all day....no team holds, so by hold you mean win it back again and again and again...

And then there is the issue that if its coded the way you suggest you only need to hit that position one in a 30min period, why not rotate throughout the day with a group of 10 people and bring in more rewards...

Also, this idea doesn't seem as easy as advertised.
    Post edited by Kyno on
  • TVF
    36598 posts Member
    Options
    Vendi1983 wrote: »
    I like the idea of deciding once every 24 hours when you want your arena payout. You get to rank #1? Hit "claim". Boom there you go. Then it's greyed out for 24 hrs with the same countdown timer as the raid join feature.

Its a virtual currency, so who cares if it's spread around more. They could even shift rewards down a tier. Less for reaching #1 but you control when you get it/more people get it.

People would lose their minds if #1 awarded much lower rewards, which it would absolutely do under this scenario.

CG would have to redo the entire economy otherwise.

Will never happen.
  • Options
    However; it would greatly benefit the massive amount of players that have families/children/work/commitments that gets in the way of playing a phone game based on a rigid schedule.
  • TVF
    36598 posts Member
    Options
    Vendi1983 wrote: »
    However; it would greatly benefit the massive amount of players that have families/children/work/commitments that gets in the way of playing a phone game based on a rigid schedule.

I didn't say it wouldn't, I said it won't happen.
  • Options
    This whole thread is predicated on the idea that this is a “problem” that needs to be solved.
    CG has made it clear that they don’t see it as one. Much of the player base does not see it as one. And of the players who do see it as a problem, no one can agree on a better way that would actually work or be acceptable to CG.

You’re trying to solve a problem that doesn’t really (officially) exist.
  • Options
    kello_511 wrote: »
    This whole thread is predicated on the idea that this is a “problem” that needs to be solved.
    CG has made it clear that they don’t see it as one. Much of the player base does not see it as one. And of the players who do see it as a problem, no one can agree on a better way that would actually work or be acceptable to CG.

You’re trying to solve a problem that doesn’t really (officially) exist.

+1. There's no problem here so there's no need to suggest a "solution".
  • Options

Like I said there are various ways to code this it could be like has to be a majority of the day. so 12.5 hours or something.

Even then your argument about oh no they have to keep checking their phone really isn't valid because the whole point is to be competitive. So people at the top should be checking their phone instead of having a shard chat go in there and basically do that for them because they know they will sit at a certain point due to the collusion.

or

It's not nitpicking to point out that nothing you suggested would eliminate shard chats.

A mode like grand arena did that since there is only 1 winner and there is no inventive to collude. So you coukd do it tournament style and reduce collusion but thay isn't what you suggested.
  • Options

or

yeah for B, I have a job and a real life. Not always possible to contantly monitor your phine if you don't live in mommy's basement.
  • Admiral_Gibbs
    37 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I would like to point out that I work a full time job 50-60 hours a week, own two small businesses, and am starting law school in the fall. The argument that we need to sit on our phones all day to be competitive isn't valid.

Secondly saying it isn't a problem Is just false. The dev's have already said previously as people have stated in multiple places that it does go against the spirit of the arena game mode but it's some what of a loop hole in the TOS.

Now what I purposed is solution that I'm sure would need a little bit of tweaking with the coding in order to implement but it is viable and is a solution in several other online games with set pay out times that are similar enough to SWGOH to be viable.

Basically it comes down to people who are in shard chats not liking this because they are the ones benefiting from collusion and going against the spirit of the game mode. In fact there was a thread posted just yesterday with a guy whining that he and his shard chat couldn't stop a guy from holding number 1 all day.

SERIOUSLY!?!?!?! You're complaining because you feel entitled to be able to hit number one and hold it for your pay out??? What kind of participation trophy **** is that? In the words of Emperor Valkorian your only privilege is the dirt and your birth right is the losses you take.

Now let me purpose an alternative maybe BETTER SOLUTION. That is the True Skill 2 or a modified Glicko system.

Tournament style would slow arena down dramatically. Another alternative solution is to do it like the glicko rating system or the true skill 2 system in which you are assigned a score based off your wins and loses and quality of opponent. This would not be hard to code at all as an associate of mine and I have done it for our Fantasy MMA leagues and I have minimal coding experience at best so I'm sure the well paid people at CG and EA could easily implement this. Also there are variable in both the True Skill 2 and Glicko systems that can set up the arena matchmaking without needing tournaments and spot people who collude very simply. In fact True Skill 2 is what the Halo Championship Series uses as their ranking and match making system and it is EXTREMELY effective at picking out people who collude. Also this would eliminate the need to play all day as your score/rating would take into the account number of matches played, how you won, who/what team you beat, and what type of team you fielded. This could even benefit f2p players who beat "meta teams" with non meta teams.

Now before someone goes and says oh well that wouldn't work for xyz. There is literally 0 reason a true skill 2 or modified glicko system couldn't work to determine matchmaking in arena as well as daily rewards. You could just rank people based off their over all rating then determine payouts based off the rank. This would entirely eliminate collusion as the True Skill system and a modified glicko system can both pick that out and punish people for colluding. If you disagree go look up the many peer reviewed papers on them and come back here.
  • Options
    I would like to point out that I work a full time job 50-60 hours a week, own two small businesses, and am starting law school in the fall. The argument that we need to sit on our phones all day to be competitive isn't valid.

Secondly saying it isn't a problem Is just false. The dev's have already said previously as people have stated in multiple places that it does go against the spirit of the arena game mode but it's some what of a loop hole in the TOS.

Now what I purposed is solution that I'm sure would need a little bit of tweaking with the coding in order to implement but it is viable and is a solution in several other online games with set pay out times that are similar enough to SWGOH to be viable.

Basically it comes down to people who are in shard chats not liking this because they are the ones benefiting from collusion and going against the spirit of the game mode. In fact there was a thread posted just yesterday with a guy whining that he and his shard chat couldn't stop a guy from holding number 1 all day.

SERIOUSLY!?!?!?! You're complaining because you feel entitled to be able to hit number one and hold it for your pay out??? What kind of participation trophy ****. is that? In the words of Emperor Valkorian your only privilege is the dirt and your birth right is the losses you take.

Tournament style would slow arena down dramatically. Another alternative solution is to do it like the glicko rating system or the true skill 2 system in which you are assigned a score based off your wins and loses and quality of opponent. This would not be hard to code at all as an associate of mine and I have done it for our Fantasy MMA leagues and I have minimal coding experience at best so I'm sure the well paid people at CG and EA could easily implement this. Also there are variable in both the True Skill 2 and Glicko systems that can set up the arena matchmaking without needing tournaments and spot people who collude very simply. In fact True Skill 2 is what the Halo Championship Series uses as their ranking and match making system and it is EXTREMELY effective at picking out people who collude. Also this would eliminate the need to play all day as your score/rating would take into the account number of matches played, how you won, who/what team you beat, and what type of team you fielded. This could even benefit f2p players who beat "meta teams" with non meta teams.

Now before someone goes and says oh well that wouldn't work for xyz. There is literally 0 reason a true skill 2 or modified glicko system couldn't work to determine matchmaking in arena as well as daily rewards. You could just rank people based off their over all rating then determine payouts based off the rank. This would entirely eliminate collusion as the True Skill system and a modified glicko system can both pick that out and punish people for colluding. If you disagree go look up the many peer reviewed papers on them and come back here.

That isn't what you suggested earlier. My argument wasn't that a system couldn't be developed to discourage shard chats but simply that your suggestion earlier wouldn't meet your goal.

I'm not familiar with the scoring systems of all those games since I don't play them.

I've been a proponent of a tiered arena system for awhile. Basically works the same as now but every few months or once a month you take those with the highest average rank and put them in a new shard with others from similar shards. And compete for better rewards. Then if you are in the bottom of a tier 2 shard, you move back down. You could do 2 or 3 tiers and have higher crystals for the higher tiers.

This isn't designed to eliminate shard chats though it would reduce them since most in the chat are in the top 20 and they would quickly be dumped into a tier 2 shard with other active players. Yes new chats would form but that takes time and effort only for the shard to potentially change in a month.

But as I said not designed to eliminate collusion but to allow more competitive players to move up to a better challenge and potentially better rewards.
  • Admiral_Gibbs
    37 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

SERIOUSLY!?!?!?! You're complaining because you feel entitled to be able to hit number one and hold it for your pay out??? What kind of participation trophy ****. is that? In the words of Emperor Valkorian your only privilege is the dirt and your birth right is the losses you take.

That isn't what you suggested earlier. My argument wasn't that a system couldn't be developed to discourage shard chats but simply that your suggestion earlier wouldn't meet your goal.

I'm not familiar with the scoring systems of all those games since I don't play them.

I've been a proponent of a tiered arena system for awhile. Basically works the same as now but every few months or once a month you take those with the highest average rank and put them in a new shard with others from similar shards. And compete for better rewards. Then if you are in the bottom of a tier 2 shard, you move back down. You could do 2 or 3 tiers and have higher crystals for the higher tiers.

This isn't designed to eliminate shard chats though it would reduce them since most in the chat are in the top 20 and they would quickly be dumped into a tier 2 shard with other active players. Yes new chats would form but that takes time and effort only for the shard to potentially change in a month.

But as I said not designed to eliminate collusion but to allow more competitive players to move up to a better challenge and potentially better rewards.

I didn't suggest it earlier because I didn't have my first idea thought out as much. Now that I've considered what you and others said; I realized that a modified Glicko or a True Skill 2 based system would essentially eliminate everything you and others brought up as issues. It's called examining criticism, taking it into account, and adapting.

It would fix the time glued to a phone, who you beat, the need to hit pay outs at certain times, as well as the difficulty of coding it to work.

Although I think a tiered system could work as well but would be more difficult to code as what I suggested would basically just be implementing published peer reviewed formulas and minor match making coding as opposed to entirely changing the match making coding.

Both would most likely have bugs at the beginning but the two I suggested actually have a learning curve that gets better the longer they are used and can fix themselves while a tiered one would be more hands on.
  • Options

I didn't suggest it earlier because I didn't have my first idea thought out as much. Now that I've considered what you and others said; I realized that a modified Glicko or a True Skill 2 based system would essentially eliminate everything you and others brought up as issues. It's called examining criticism, taking it into account, and adapting.

It would fix the time glued to a phone, who you beat, the need to hit pay outs at certain times, as well as the difficulty of coding it to work.

Although I think a tiered system could work as well but would be more difficult to code as what I suggested would basically just be implementing published peer reviewed formulas and minor match making coding as opposed to entirely changing the match making coding.

Both would most likely have bugs at the beginning but the two I suggested actually have a learning curve that gets better the longer they are used and can fix themselves while a tiered one would be more hands on.

Most likely anything they change will be in addition to arena but I'm open to ideas that work.

Not sure how the systems you mentioned judge different people doing more or less attacks because some refresh multiple times to climb and some not at all.
  • Options

Most likely anything they change will be in addition to arena but I'm open to ideas that work.

Not sure how the systems you mentioned judge different people doing more or less attacks because some refresh multiple times to climb and some not at all.

That would actually be factored in. Say you refresh 50 times to climb. Sure it will take each battle into account separately. It will also factor in the number of battles in order to reach a certain rank. It would also reward people for facing "tougher" opponents ie higher ranked ones. The more battles you fight the smaller the variable that factors uncertainty becomes guaranteeing your rating is more accurate. The less battles you fight the larger that variable is which would allow you to jump more but would also allow you to fall more. Thus this helps both people who fight many battles as well as those who fight less battles.
  • Options
    I'm actually happy with grand arena as a test of skill. There are compaints but they are mostly from those with bad rosters thinking they should win without having a good roster. Maybe they could do something similar with only one team. Maybe select your arena team and over the course of a week or two face a random match a day from your shard. Then rewards are distributed based on # of wins.

Arena is what it is but it isn't designed to pick the very best. Those with good teams will be at the top and those with good teams and that pit time in will get top rewards. Several factors help, shard chats being one. But being in a payout time that isn't as competitive helps more in my opinion.

But anyway, for what you're wanting I suggest a new game mode since arena would have to be completely scrapped for it to do what you want.