Is new C3P0/Chewie event difficulty good for the player base?

Prev13456
The most recent 2 legendaries have been much, much harder to unlock and 7* than Grand Master Yoda, Emperor Palpatine, Thrawn, and R2D2. Why? What justifies the leap in difficulty?

As a player with 3M+ GP, I can afford to focus resources (crystals, gear, energy) on a relatively obscure faction and gearing them to g11+. But what about the player that just hit level 85 and is just starting the g12 grind?

Prior legendaries have been more accessible, which keeps players engaged and interested. Why make the newest ones harder to attain? While CG has made gear slightly easier to get, getting toons to g11 still takes much more work than the g8 needed for the older legendaries.

I think the challenge of this event is ok. I can deal with it, but I’d rather see legendaries as popular characters that a large swath of the player base can access and play. These shouldn’t be give away characters, but I think the recent trend demonstrates a disregard for the newer players and keeping those newer players. That’s not good for the game’s long term health.

Replies

• Well, when GMY and Palp released the gear cap was what, 8, 9? They were hard when they launched. Really chewie and c3p0 are just adjusting for gear inflation. Getting to where palp and gmy are easy is incredibly painless now, that wouldn't make them any money.

As an aside though, chewie's event had a few bugs which are now fixed and should make it a lot easier, and the c3p0 event was basically a cake walk.

Also, how can they not make characters give away characters while also allowing newer players to get them? That seems incredibly contradictory.
  • While I would agree that there are things going on in the game that are not good for the long term health of the game, having some events be more difficult than others is not one of them.

In fact, I would suggest that having some "easier" events (that weren't easy at the time of their release either) while, at the same time, having harder events to work/farm toward, is actually GOOD for the long term health of the game. Honestly, if a new(er) player wants to give up because they can't have everything in the first month...or first 6 months, they are not long for this game anyway. This is not that kind of game.

I also think stating that prior legendaries have been "more accessible" is a bit of revisionist history. As a guppy, I certainly remember having to work very hard to get GMY - and I didn't get him to 7* the first time. I also missed Thrawn the first time, because Phoenix had just been released a few months prior. R2 I did get on the first go around, but that was also around May 4th, so he was the closest to a true "give away" character - and even he wasn't "easy".

CG has to try to keep the game interesting and challenging for long term players too. Newer players have all of those other events to work toward (ones that many of us didn't even have as launch/early players). Not every event is designed to be optimal for every player - when you have players that have been playing for 3 years and ones that started 3 months ago, that simply isn't possible. I think, at least on that front, CG has done a decent job of scaling event difficulty for top end players, while still having "easier" content for those who are new or newer.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Not a contradiction. Farming to 7* can be the real gate, not gear. You feel some pain, but not the tons that you feel getting characters to g11, let alone a zeta on Chirpa, which is mighty precious for an earlier game player.

I don’t know what the gear cap was when EP and GMY were released. I started in Dec. 2016, and it was g11 then. Don’t forget that there was little difficulty increase going from EP/GMY to Thrawn/R2.

Finally, $$$ can’t be the excuse for every change. It’s not like people were spending big time to unlock legendaries a couple years ago. I think CG is trying to get money out of later game players, hence the difficulty ramp up and is utterly ambivalent toward newer players. That is bad for the game.
  • The difficulty of the event was fine. The preloaded tm is getting old fast.

As a roster evolves, events need to as well.
  • You make a good point @Nikoms565 that newer players can’t have it all. But I personally think the better solution is asking the newer player to make choices about what to farm and earn rather than gating newer content off from those players that have been at it 6 months to a year.

Bottom line, I don’t think the difficulty leap makes sense. But, heck, maybe it’s just me 😀.
  • Obi1_son wrote: »
    The difficulty of the event was fine. The preloaded tm is getting old fast.

If you look at your ewoks after Han goes, they'll all have tm. The other team doesn't have full preloaded turn meter like, for example, the mythic thrawn event.
  • scuba
    14042 posts Member
    For the time that events were initially released the difficulty has been about the same. hell they even nerfed the Grand Master Yoda event when it was first released because the forums complained it was too hard.
    you can't compare an event difficulty from almost 3 years ago (February 2016) to an event released today.
    New revolving content is supposed to be hard when released over time as the game progresses it gets easier.
    It is not like the tier 5 of the event is super hard, so people can still unlock if they don't have all they need for 7*
  • Speaking as a newer player who just reached level 85 last weekend, I'm perfectly fine with events like Chewy, Revan, and 3P0 being out of my reach.
    Why should i be able to attain legendary characters as easily as someone whose played this game for a year or more.
    Getting legendary characters should be tough, it should be a grind, it should be a goal to attain, and something you have to plan for and focus on your resources on.
    That's what I'm doing with the current legendaries. All my star and gear farming went towards GMY, then EP, then Thrawn, now R2. Then I'll move on towards CLS.
    I had no shot at these events when they rolled out late summer/early fall and i was okay with. It gave me something to strive for.
    I think it's entirely acceptable for CG to do the same with the newer legandaries. They should be events that only veteran players can achieve while giving us newer players something to look forward to.
  • Thanks for the perspective @scuba. I started later and found GMY and EP really manageable as soon as I had enough 7* characters that fit the requirements. I didnt face them when they were first released.
  • I'm f2p. And not the smartest stick in the wood. And not the most obsessive gamer.

And I find these events really hard. WHich is good. Something to aim for. Something to work towards.
  • WookieWookie
    1460 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    I wasn't thrilled to put all my gear on my murderbears I had been saving for Darth Revan/Malak, but I'm glad to have another good, geared squad for GA. I also secretly love Ewoks in this game, as TM gain, assists, and taking extra turns are my favorite things to do in this game.

I also am glad that the event was challenging for a launch player, and was still beatable within 6 tries. Yes you had to have Paploo and Logray to beat it without RNJesus shining down upon you, but CG has, with TB, with legendary and Hero's journey events, been telling you over and over to farm every toon and develop your roster between your panic farms. It's not like like CLS who snuck up on people who hadn't farmed the (useless) farm boy luke; this has happened over and over, and if you didn't farm Logray and Paploo in the YEAR they've been F2P, you really only have yourself to blame.

oh-yes-the.jpg

• Turasleon wrote: »
    Obi1_son wrote: »
    The difficulty of the event was fine. The preloaded tm is getting old fast.

If you look at your ewoks after Han goes, they'll all have tm. The other team doesn't have full preloaded turn meter like, for example, the mythic thrawn event.

This is correct. But I would add a few caveats - first, the rebels have ridiculous speeds in the Ewok event. Many of them go multiple times on T7 before you even get to go at all (regardless of mods). Second caveat is that it would seem (admittedly, small sample size) that the AI for the T7 event is "tweaked". In 12-15 attempts in tier 7, my g11+ EE (if he survives the opening barrage at all) is the target of confusion 75%-80% of the time. Given that no Ewoks start the encounter stealthed, that is ridiculously high to be "random".

All of that said, the event and it's difficulty are fine as they are. The graphics are phenomenal. I give it an A- (taking a little off for the 2 caveats mentioned above).

In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
  • current events fit current players.
    for chewie and c-3po you need just about 80-85k power. phoenix for thrawn needed to be about 70-75k. But no G12, not enough mod, no mods 2.0 for changing mod sets fast, not so easy to access gear, ...
    The difficulty was the same and if you had not strong enough toons, just wait for the next event - taht should be easyser becaus you know what you need.
  • Vendraen
    90 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    To answer the original question posed, no it's not. It's freeking horrible for the game.

The lack of clear communication about it is the main problem. Chewie was ****, stupidly, just ... stupidly hard, and beforehand was listed as "very, very difficult." They said that wouldn't happen again; that it was a special thing for Chewie and Chewie only. Then this one came along and it just said "difficult." Not even a single very or any other qualifier. That combined with the fact they said that Chewie's difficulty was for Chewie only... would lead a smart person to think this one was going to be normal. Nope.

Very, very bad move. All in a time where they have promised more and better communication.

Instead we get less and worse communication.

(And before anyone says anything, I never had a prayer of getting the droid, and don't overly care, beyond the larger issues of how the game is being (mis)managed.)
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    kiar1404 wrote: »
    current events fit current players.

Then it would stand to reason that they would adjust the old legendaries' difficulty to require gear 11 and 12 characters with Zetas. I think newer player that don't have characters like Palpatine and Grand Master Yoda yet unlocked are going to miss out on the fun challenge of needing Jedi and Rebels at gear 11 or 12 with Zetas *sarcasm*.

I agree with the OP. The fact of the matter is the difficulty of legendaries is arbitrary now. Just look at Jedi Revan, he's a new legendary whose gear requirements are low. The extreme heightened difficulty of certain legendary events is ridiculous. The difficulty across legendary events need to be more level. (Other than a apparent grab reasoning by the developers) There is no rhyme or reason to it.

There’s no reason that all events of the same type have to be at the same level of difficulty. It’s fine for newer legendaries to be more difficult than older ones just like newer raids are more difficult than older ones.

In general, the difficulty of an event comes from either farming or gearing but not both. Revan (which isn’t a legendary so doesn’t even deserve the “same type” treatment if that was a thing) was gated by farms since the characters had just gone to the table. Chewie and C3 are gated by gear instead since the required characters had been farmable for a long time.
  • It was a lot easier than the wookie.
    Logray / Pap and Wicket were released months ago.
    In this one no excuse imho.

GMY and especially R2 were really hard the first time around.

At least the new players have now a clear roadmap to the game. Thing we didn’t have 3 years ago.

Good luck all !
  • It was done this way because Chewie and 3PO are gotten using toons that have been available for a long time.

Meaning they need a way to make long-term players scramble.

Revan was easy - just require toons no-one had had time to farm.
    Chewie could have a been a g7/g8 check if he required bossk, embo, aurra, jango. But they let people use any BH.
    Ewoks have been around for a long time. Requiring g7/8 Ewoks would essentially be giving out 3PO to anyone that had played for enough time to be able to do the wicket event. They'd have to introduce 3-4 new Ewoks and then require them for 3PO if they wanted to keep the gear requirements down.
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • Boov
    604 posts Member
    if the chewy and 3po event were doable with g8/9 they would basically be a give away to pretty much everyone who has been playing for 2y+, not sure that's desirable either.
  • It's not fun, it's unnecessary and sucks monkey b
  • Germi wrote: »
    It was a lot easier than the wookie.
    Logray / Pap and Wicket were released months ago.
    In this one no excuse imho.
    I really do wish people would stop saying this (not singling you out - a lot of posters do this).

Just because they were out, didn't mean that any intelligent player should have farmed them. For several months there KOTOR toons coming out and rumor about Revan and possibly a some event for the Han Solo movie (an event that never took place). There have also been whispers of a clone rework or a Separatist/GG rework and the Jango event.

Most players (and especially f2p) can't farm to every rumor and every possible new release that might happen. Ewoks were only confirmed a few weeks ago. Many of us already have them, but to imply that people who don't have Logray, Paploo and Wicket farmed to 7* and geared to g10 or g11 is just looking back with 20/20 hindsight.

• I wasn't thrilled to put all my gear on my murderbears I had been saving for Darth Revan/Malak, but I'm glad to have another good, geared squad for GA. I also secretly love Ewoks in this game, as TM gain, assists, and taking extra turns are my favorite things to do in this game.

I also am glad that the event was challenging for a launch player, and was still beatable within 6 tries. Yes you had to have Paploo and Logray to beat it without RNJesus shining down upon you, but CG has, with TB, with legendary and Hero's journey events, been telling you over and over to farm every toon and develop your roster between your panic farms. It's not like like CLS who snuck up on people who hadn't farmed the (useless) farm boy luke; this has happened over and over, and if you didn't farm Logray and Paploo in the YEAR they've been F2P, you really only have yourself to blame.

oh-yes-the.jpg

I didn't farm logery or pabloo. But still unlocked 7 star 3PO with decently geared ewoks.

G12 elder, g11 scout and zwicket, g10 zchirpa, and g9 teebo.

Yes I had to use a couple of zetas amd there was some rng but the zetas and gear weren't wasted since murder bears are good in ga and tw. And I'll probably sub out teebo for 3PO for future use.

So skipping some farms isn't always bad.
  • There is a difference between challenging and downright maddening. This is challenging. Plenty of people are getting C3PO, but you know what? It takes dedication and effort. If you want him bad enough, take the steps and prep your team of Ewoks.

That's called longevity. If everything was a cake walk this game would be awful. There would be no reason to progress.

I'm all for challenges, and welcome all new legendary characters released to be very challenging to get.
  • kiar1404 wrote: »
    current events fit current players.

Then it would stand to reason that they would adjust the old legendaries' difficulty to require gear 11 and 12 characters with Zetas. I think newer player that don't have characters like Palpatine and Grand Master Yoda yet unlocked are going to miss out on the fun challenge of needing Jedi and Rebels at gear 11 or 12 with Zetas *sarcasm*.

I agree with the OP. The fact of the matter is the difficulty of legendaries is arbitrary now. Just look at Jedi Revan, he's a new legendary whose gear requirements are low. The extreme heightened difficulty of certain legendary events is ridiculous. The difficulty across legendary events need to be more level. (Other than a apparent grab reasoning by the developers) There is no rhyme or reason to it.

Sure there is. Legendaries that req characters that are almost impossible to have 7 star in time, req around g8. Legendaries that req characters that have been ftp for months or years require g11 or g12.

It actually isn't that hard to predict.

And i think requiring higher gear is fine for what is end game content. It is comparable to g8 req 2 years ago. Gear, especially low level gear, is much easier to get then it was 2 years ago. They added tb, tw, guild event currency, and another raid. Those all are additional sources of gear that weren't around a little over a year ago.

Surprising enough, revan (the most game changing of the recent legendaries), is new player friendly. Yes the timing of the event was a cash grab, but the farm is easier than jtr so you could start a new account and go for revan and have him in 6 months easily depending on the event timing. And that is likely by design. Revan is a catchup toon for new players. Chewie and 3PO are not.
  • Drago5760 wrote: »
    The most recent 2 legendaries have been much, much harder to unlock and 7* than Grand Master Yoda, Emperor Palpatine, Thrawn, and R2D2. Why? What justifies the leap in difficulty?

The simple answer is power creep. At first run, all of those events were difficult, but do-able. I happen to think they went overboard with Chewbacca, and based on this event I think they realized it as well.
    As a player with 3M+ GP, I can afford to focus resources (crystals, gear, energy) on a relatively obscure faction and gearing them to g11+. But what about the player that just hit level 85 and is just starting the g12 grind?

Honestly, not everything in this game is meant for these players. If you are just starting in the last 6 months, you have to pick and choose what you want to work towards. If you stay focused you will get them all eventually.
    Prior legendaries have been more accessible, which keeps players engaged and interested. Why make the newest ones harder to attain? While CG has made gear slightly easier to get, getting toons to g11 still takes much more work than the g8 needed for the older legendaries.

I think the challenge of this event is ok. I can deal with it, but I’d rather see legendaries as popular characters that a large swath of the player base can access and play. These shouldn’t be give away characters, but I think the recent trend demonstrates a disregard for the newer players and keeping those newer players. That’s not good for the game’s long term health.

The problem is that Legendaries are always top notch, so you can't just give them away. I agree the majority of the bottleneck should be the farm, but I don't like the idea of all events being do-able at g8/9. I think this event basically hit the sweet spot. It was easy if you had them all g12, and challenging (but do-able) if you didn't.
  • Vendraen wrote: »
    To answer the original question posed, no it's not. It's freeking horrible for the game.

The lack of clear communication about it is the main problem. Chewie was ****, stupidly, just ... stupidly hard, and beforehand was listed as "very, very difficult." They said that wouldn't happen again; that it was a special thing for Chewie and Chewie only. Then this one came along and it just said "difficult." Not even a single very or any other qualifier. That combined with the fact they said that Chewie's difficulty was for Chewie only... would lead a smart person to think this one was going to be normal. Nope.

Very, very bad move. All in a time where they have promised more and better communication.

Instead we get less and worse communication.

(And before anyone says anything, I never had a prayer of getting the droid, and don't overly care, beyond the larger issues of how the game is being (mis)managed.)

I complain a lot, but this is just not true at all...
    Chewie event was much harder than this one

Having most at gear 11 and a few unique characters to defeat tier 7 is more than fine if you ask me

The thrawn mythic phoenix tier on the other hand, thats an example of a bad event
  • I had little to no problem in the event itself but I also had the ewoks geared and zeta'd ready. Got it on the second try. I like that they are taking out of the way teams and making them useful again.
  • I did not like how difficult the chewbacca event was, but the c3po event I think is perfect difficulty. Can be done with reasonably geared characters (even if some people dont like them myself included) and isn't too terribly rng based like chewbacca was (even though bossk would have made it trivial).