Is new C3P0/Chewie event difficulty good for the player base?

Replies

• Nikoms565 wrote: »
    Germi wrote: »
    It was a lot easier than the wookie.
    Logray / Pap and Wicket were released months ago.
    In this one no excuse imho.
    I really do wish people would stop saying this (not singling you out - a lot of posters do this).

Just because they were out, didn't mean that any intelligent player should have farmed them. For several months there KOTOR toons coming out and rumor about Revan and possibly a some event for the Han Solo movie (an event that never took place). There have also been whispers of a clone rework or a Separatist/GG rework and the Jango event.

Most players (and especially f2p) can't farm to every rumor and every possible new release that might happen. Ewoks were only confirmed a few weeks ago. Many of us already have them, but to imply that people who don't have Logray, Paploo and Wicket farmed to 7* and geared to g10 or g11 is just looking back with 20/20 hindsight.

This is primarily what I think of when the OP says the event is less "accessible". It isn't that I couldn't farm ewoks and gear them. It's that I reasonably wouldn't do so based on other potential priorities. Ewoks have been a team with a high opportunity cost for a LONG time because they aren't really used anywhere specifically other than the AT ST event, and can easily be replaced everywhere else they are useful by other squads with less opportunity cost.

The reason people will continue to get bent out of shape when CG rolls out events like this is because they knowingly LOWER the opportunity costs of farming these characters without telling anyone in time to react. In a resource management type game, that's just going to anger people because you've essentially invalidated choices they've made that they likely would have made different if they had better information.

I get it. CG makes money off player frustration. However, the OP is right. Continually tossing events out for popular characters without throwing players a bone now and then is demotivating, and will result in players leaving. Not a great way to maintain a player base, unless you don't really care about the lost revenue from players opting out.
  • Drago5760 wrote: »
    The most recent 2 legendaries have been much, much harder to unlock and 7* than Grand Master Yoda, Emperor Palpatine, Thrawn, and R2D2. Why? What justifies the leap in difficulty?
    GMY and EP weren't easy when they came out.....they had to tone down the GMY one when it first returned because it was too hard. A lot of people didn't get GMY or EP on the first round and it took longer back then for those events to come back a second time. Thrawn was easier in terms of gear compared to Chewbacca and C3PO but the difficulty came from having to power farm 5 characters in a short period of time who hadn't been farmable for very long. Ewoks have been around forever.
    Drago5760 wrote: »
    But what about the player that just hit level 85 and is just starting the g12 grind?
    Legendaries aren't really for new players.....no new player needs a legendary on the first go around....they are competing with and against players with much less extensive rosters....they can keep grinding away and get C3PO when he comes back the next time, it's not the end of the world for them.
  • Boov
    604 posts Member
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    Germi wrote: »
    It was a lot easier than the wookie.
    Logray / Pap and Wicket were released months ago.
    In this one no excuse imho.
    I really do wish people would stop saying this (not singling you out - a lot of posters do this).

Just because they were out, didn't mean that any intelligent player should have farmed them. For several months there KOTOR toons coming out and rumor about Revan and possibly a some event for the Han Solo movie (an event that never took place). There have also been whispers of a clone rework or a Separatist/GG rework and the Jango event.

Most players (and especially f2p) can't farm to every rumor and every possible new release that might happen. Ewoks were only confirmed a few weeks ago. Many of us already have them, but to imply that people who don't have Logray, Paploo and Wicket farmed to 7* and geared to g10 or g11 is just looking back with 20/20 hindsight.

Most players won't unlock every legendary toon at 7* the first go around, most don't even unlock a single legendary toon the first go around. This is by design. Partly to make money ofcourse, but also to keep these type of characters exclusive for a while.
    Knowing and acknowledging that, this event still wasn't un-doable by any means. I'm not going to make any statements as to what an intelligent player should or shouldn't farm, but i think it's safe to assume that loads of long term (f2p) players who are on top of their game will get a 7* 3po. You're gonna have a hard time convincing me those players are all just lucky that they picked the right faction to farm. Some? sure, but it's not like it was same insane gamble to choose to be prepared for this exact event.
    For new players it's a completely different story ofcourse. You're also gonna have a hard time trying to convince me that a new player who doesn't have JTR yet got a 7* 3po because he prepared for this event to happen.
    So in conclusion:
    • Have you been playing for longer than 2.5 years: You've got only yourself to blame for not getting a 7* 3po
    • Have you been playing for less than a year: This event wasn't designed for you unless you're willing to spend money, so to no fault of your own you won't get 3po this go around.
    • grey area in between i do not feel comfortable making statements about
  • In response to the OPs question.

No. It’s not.

Yet more tedious farming of awful characters.
  • Jarvind
    3925 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Chewbacca's difficulty was too high, I think. More accurately it's too luck-based - if you don't have a stealthed Dengar before R2 uses Smoke Screen, you basically lose.

3P0's event seems fine. It's hard, but a legendary should be. The important thing is that you aren't restarting 26 times in a row waiting for the right series of coin flips before you can even make a serious attempt.

And anyone who is still moaning that "ewoks are useless" needs to just get bored with it already. They're a good team, just because you didn't want to farm them doesn't mean the event is bad.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Everytime an event comes out people miss it because they “aren’t ready” and it’s “too hard”. Get it next time and get over it. I’m pretty sure this is the first time I was ready at launch for a Legendary/Hero’s Journey. It wasn’t “too hard”, I was just ready. When Chewie comes back I’ll be ready for it. When Revan comes back the third time I’ll be ready. It’s a game.
    Ooba hutar.
  • I think there's something fundamentally flawed about a Gear 12.3 character with top-arena caliber mods (at least in my shard - not the best, but capable of climbing to first) dying prior to being able to take a turn.

I appreciate that seven starring legendary characters should be earned. I'm not sure how preparing characters that you otherwise would not have prioritized, spending resources on them you would rather have spent elsewhere, and getting that spat back in your face in the form of "Challenging Legendary" is good for the game.

On no less than 2/3s of my attempts, a G12 Ewok (EE or Paploo) has died in the opening rebel salvo. I don't understand what strategy is involved to prevent this from happening. I don't understand how this is enjoyable. I fail to comprehend how this makes me want to invest more into this event. I just feel frustration and annoyance that's quickly trending towards apathy.
  • The difficulty for legendaries has been scaled up yes... of course some of the older legendaries are much easier. Palpatine and Yoda were legendaries before mods were really a thing, to my understanding. Level cap was also lower. New legendary events are much harder, it just means you need to invest more in characters...
  • Before i say anything , i do not have chewie or C3P0 and wont get him this time around. Its not too hard if you are an endgame player , or a whale, but f2p yeah its tough, but not unbeatable. Thats the best we can hope for. Certainly better than the Revan paywall. It also uses a squad that has multiple uses in game , i havent yet worked on mine , but now i have a great reason too. And many people had them decently geared to start. I think its a nice balance tbh. Once i finish my kotor farm , murder bears here i come.
  • Revan? G8, yay! (We take our money from required toons already)

C3PO? G12! (Ewoks are already farmed but not geared properly by a majority)

Really disgusting. I had have a hope about just unlocking him, tier 4 makes me believe it better.

But wait a minute, tier 5 and tier 4 hardness difference? Insane.

Ok ok, marketing issue. Give me t4 then make t5 lot harder to make me buy gears? (Gears they need absoulutely needed by lot useful toons so yeah this is a buy for players like me, cant spare them for ewoks)
    Check my collection. Contact me at Discord: zegene#1773
  • I think they are fine. They wanted to create events that logically used legacy characters, and to make that viable they chose to make it necessary to gear up characters that people probably got to 7 stars long long ago.

To me, that is a far cry better than adding two or three new marquee characters then popping the event two weeks after those toons go farmable. To top it off, this time, they made the new toon make those legacy toons significantly better.
  • Without reading all the other replies and probably rehashing what someone else has already said, I find it more rewarding to beat a challenging event like Chewbacca and C3P0's Legendary than an easy event like Revan's where the only challenge is flash farming characters. Revan is better overall than both Chewbacca and C3P0, but all it does unlocking him is it shows you jumped on Old Republic characters straight away when they became farmable (or bought packs). Don't get me wrong, I cursed CG's name trying to beat that C3P0 event during my many attempts, but at the end of the day I actually felt rewarded for my effort.
  • No it is not
  • There is always whinging...

It's a hard event. Is what it is. Play it or don't play it.
  • Personally, I"ll be lucky to unlock a 5* C-3P0, not because I didn't have 7* Ewoks, but because I apparently didn't have the 'right' Ewoks. I have Logray 7*, but he was basically g1 for a long time. And neither Paploo or Wicket are 7* because silly me, I assumed that 'any 5' meant just that. But it's fine, I'll work on the two I don't have 7* and gear them up for the next time. And I only have myself to blame, because I seriously slacked on the Ewoks for the Wicket event and I know it. However, I just had other priorities.

However, I don't feel like it's fair for users to say that 'you should have farmed a character' because not everyone has the resources to put towards a character. Not everyone is able to start farming a character right when they drop because they might be in the middle of another farm. And with Ewoks, there were no indications until just recently that they were needed for anything other than the Wicket event and you didn't even have to play that to get Wicket now that he's farmable on a node. So please, don't shame someone for not farming a character when there was no real reason for them at the time.

*goes back to frantically trying to get Embo to 7* before the Chewie event drops* *shakes fist at sky* Darn you bugs in the first run keeping me from a 7* Chewie and IG-88 being so squishy!
  • BucMan55
    246 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Most Legendaries/hero journeys when they were introduced had a first time panic farm to induce purchases so people could get the characters required to the requisite stars in time. For subsequent instances of said legendary, that was not the case. For a new player, by the time they can get the 5 faction characters up to 5 stars they will be able to unlock the character the next time he comes around.

That doesn't appear to be the case with 3p0 and sure as heck wasn't the case with Chewie. Perhaps this new method of a gear wall is because they saw too many newer accounts unlocking the legendary characters too quickly(and without paying a dime) with gear 6 or maybe gear 7 characters. It does, however, appear that gear 7/8 is enough to unlock Revan provided you get all the characters to 7 stars so there may not be a new paradigm. Or maybe it is just with legendaries.

Think about the new player perspective. "Wow, Yoda and Thrawn are so cool, i wanna get them. Oh, those events are coming in a couple months?? OK, let me work on getting the Jedi and other chars to unlock him." Consular/Windu are given free and farmable on various nodes and stores, then farm QGJ from Cantina store, Luminara from GW shop/nodes, Kanan from Arena shop, and Ezra on a cantina node. Bang, 5 stars and level 60+ and they get Yoda. Now, they got 2/5 for Thrawn, get Chop from Cantina store, Hera from Cantina farm, Zeb from GW store, and bang, Thrawn and Palpatine at 5 stars. Unlocked all those legendaries before level 70.

They try that with Chewie or 3P0 and they will have a much different result. Wouldn't mind seeing them labeled a new category like "advanced legendary event" or what not.
  • Kaziglubey
    89 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    I wish they would tone it down a notch or 2 mostly for reducing rng.

But overall I like it. I have solid roster solid mods . At the point I can shift focus if need be. So having legendaries that make me work for it are fun. To many events I just open press auto walk away. So scaling legendaries keeps it fresh for vets and gives new players a long term goal.
    Post edited by Kaziglubey on
  • Ewoks were a middling faction for a long time--fun, useful, but not world-beaters. Every guide said they were trash, but the people who write guides are.... *puts on sunglasses* ....misguided.

The point of legendaries is to give people a reward for working on a faction. If a new player logged on for the first time today and said to themself, "Self, I really want to play with Ewoks," then they should have something to look forward to at the end of that farm: C3-PO. This game isn't supposed to have One True Team To Rule Them All the way folks on this board always think of it. You're not supposed to think in terms of "I only have so many resources that I can use, and can't waste them on minor factions." If that were the point of the game, these "minor factions" wouldn't even exist.

Farm the folks you want to farm. Work on the teams you want to build. Trust. Every time something new comes around it's the same hue and cry "Why are you distracting me from the teams the guides say I should farm?" Stop that dogmatic circular thinking. Do what YOU want to do.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Chewie event was a little bit over the top and a real chore if you didn't have Bossk and needed to rely on the Boba + potency BH strategy (with the biggest trigger for frustration being the repeating cutscene, CG pls fix!).

C3PO event was actually really easy and all you need is a zeta on Chirpa and chripa/wicket/elder being higher geared while logray and paploo can be on low gear. Completed it after like 3 or 4 tries with G11/11/11/9/9 and this could've still be a little bit lower.
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • Monel
    2784 posts Member
    In response to the OPs question.

No. It’s not.

Yet more tedious farming of awful characters.

Ewoks are very good. They aren't meta, but they will beat FO and even a chewie less CLS team. Very viable squad for TW and now GA. Also makes for a great backup in LSTB when you have place your other characters in platoons. Highly recommend giving them a legit shot. Yeah the damage output is low, but those bears move like cheetahs.
  • However, I don't feel like it's fair for users to say that 'you should have farmed a character' because not everyone has the resources to put towards a character. Not everyone is able to start farming a character right when they drop because they might be in the middle of another farm.

Everyone has exactly the same resources to put towards a character.

What they choose to do with these resources is their decision.

The game is all about how one allocates their resources. It's all personal decision.

Personally I don't want to spend money on the game - so I don't bother meta-chasing. It's largely impossible without spending money, which I see as fair. Those that spend the money (keeping the game free for the rest of us) should get the bright, new, shiny things first. I fail to see how anyone could have an issue with that.

• However, I don't feel like it's fair for users to say that 'you should have farmed a character' because not everyone has the resources to put towards a character. Not everyone is able to start farming a character right when they drop because they might be in the middle of another farm.

The game is all about how one allocates their resources. It's all personal decision.

Personally I don't want to spend money on the game - so I don't bother meta-chasing. It's largely impossible without spending money, which I see as fair. Those that spend the money (keeping the game free for the rest of us) should get the bright, new, shiny things first. I fail to see how anyone could have an issue with that.

I wasn't talking about the energy, more the amount of crystals you earn per day to go towards that energy. Personally, I only get between 125-175 from my arenas because I'm not a top ten (or even top 50 for squad arena) player. So for me, I don't have the resources to put towards extra refreshes for energy, or buying from shipments.

And I never said anything about those that spend money shouldn't get a character first. I just said that people shouldn't be shamed for not getting a character yet because they had other priorities. Like for example, me. I don't have Paploo or Wicket at 7* yet but yet I've seen several people in this thread say that it's our fault we're not getting C-3P0 because we didn't put resources towards characters that were only used for one event. I have characters I'm farming/gearing for raids or other events, so I put the Ewoks to the side, thinking that having Teebo and Scout would be fine.

I wasn't talking about the energy, more the amount of crystals you earn per day to go towards that energy. Personally, I only get between 125-175 from my arenas because I'm not a top ten (or even top 50 for squad arena) player. So for me, I don't have the resources to put towards extra refreshes for energy, or buying from shipments.

And I never said anything about those that spend money shouldn't get a character first. I just said that people shouldn't be shamed for not getting a character yet because they had other priorities. Like for example, me. I don't have Paploo or Wicket at 7* yet but yet I've seen several people in this thread say that it's our fault we're not getting C-3P0 because we didn't put resources towards characters that were only used for one event. I have characters I'm farming/gearing for raids or other events, so I put the Ewoks to the side, thinking that having Teebo and Scout would be fine.

I think the point that those are trying to get across is not to blame cg for not getting a legendary character.

It's ok that you focused on other things. I did the same when it cane to farming gear from the guild store rather than shards. Though I beat it without pabloo or logery. It may or may not be possible without wicket. Depends how many times you want to try I guess or how much gear you want to stack on them.

I think the point that those are trying to get across is not to blame cg for not getting a legendary character.

It's ok that you focused on other things. I did the same when it cane to farming gear from the guild store rather than shards. Though I beat it without pabloo or logery. It may or may not be possible without wicket. Depends how many times you want to try I guess or how much gear you want to stack on them.

He is saying stop telling people they should have unlocked this toon or that toon to get this legendary, he is not talking about the event at all and certainly not blaming CG. His point is accurate. Some people didnt have the right ewoks , it happens , no reason to put them down , because they have the wrong ones to make the event easier.
  • I don't have ewoks enough to do tier 2 so i can't speak to the difficulty too much.

However, i think those saying it's fine ought to state their time in the game and GP. I mean, someone with 4M GP is probably going to be fine with it. Someone who's been around 6 months at 750k, not so much you know?

I'm just shy of a year at 1.5M GP. I'm guessing my 3po question is 6ish months down the road. I'm gearing my BH's for chewy at xmas and farming my revan crew for the next one of those which is likely next month (and i won't be at 7, 5 yes, maybe 6, not 7 if it's in january.

At any rate, that knd of illustrates one part of the problem. You put stuff with that high a difficulty to attain, it takes even establish players a long while to get there. The second part isn't a problem with ewoks as they're easier to get, but on all the revan stuff is behind a high farm wall. 16 per HM's and Cantina, 20 ship...slows you way down and you burn all your energy on that. It just pushes newer/harder things that much further out there.

It just gives a larger advantage to those who, frankly, don't need more of advantage. You never catch the guy(s) in front of you if they've got a faster car. You're just falling further behind. And if you can get a car as fast one day, you're still way behind and lack the ability to catch up as they're still going as fast as you are now.

It makes it very very frustrating.

I get it. They/you want harder content for higher end players. But when that stuff is open to all simultaneously, people just give up as they have no chance. I've given up on JTR for the foreseable future. The resources needed to get the vets would handicap everything else i'm trying to do. Contrary to how it may sound, i'm not bitter, but it is what it is and our guild could really use it for STR but there's just no way right now. Same's true with 3po, there's just no way right now. And for the next few months it'll be used against me.

I get it's a game of choices, but i'm not the one making these choices - they are with their structuring and difficult. 3po would be one thing if you get the ewoks to 7 and add reasonable gear, but doubling that farm time to gear them to 11 or so is just getting kicked while down.

In the end, while i accept it (but am not a fan of it) - it is frustrating. The fact that people i know are struggling to get 5* is stunning to me. Even seeing chewy earlier and knowing this was similar they thought they'd get to 7 and haven't. When the frustration gets to that level, it's saying something.

• cboath7 wrote: »

I'm just shy of a year at 1.5M GP. I'm guessing my 3po question is 6ish months down the road. I'm gearing my BH's for chewy at xmas and farming my revan crew for the next one of those which is likely next month (and i won't be at 7, 5 yes, maybe 6, not 7 if it's in january.

Not sure if I read this right or not. But just incase revan does not unlock at anything other than 7 star. There is no 5 or 6 star revan. Mission. T3. Zaalbar. Jolee. Bastilla must be 7 star too unlock revan

• OP is right why don’t we just award every player all characters when they start the game?!
  • Yoda Event taught me how to farm toons. I think I finally got him to 7* like the 3rd time he came around.

Palp- when first released I think Biggs was 2 star??? Lol. Got him the next time.

R2- i got really lucky cause I had the chance to work on my fav faction- empire- before hand.

Phx - I ponied up because thrawn is my favorite character.

And then I figured I should have at least 5 toons in a faction at 5* stars. Or close to it.

Chewy event was rough. I fear that mythic.

C3po wasn’t as bad for me. This was more about kill order when I went through it. And I see ppl using teebo to beat it too, which is awesome.

As much as things are changing requirement wise for this game - I think a good rule of thumb will be - if the panic farm is stars - (like Jedi revan) the event will be easier.

If the panic farm is more so gear (longer in game toons - bh, Ewoks) the event will be very difficult.

So a lot of speculation now - is some kotor ds toon in feb. that’s looking like a star panic.

And the falcon - in March??? And that would be another star panic farm if it’s Bh ships only.

Tldr- these events are frustrating but doable. Do it. If not now , then next time.
  • 2smooth
    572 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Drago5760 wrote: »
    The most recent 2 legendaries have been much, much harder to unlock and 7* than Grand Master Yoda, Emperor Palpatine, Thrawn, and R2D2. Why? What justifies the leap in difficulty?

As a player with 3M+ GP, I can afford to focus resources (crystals, gear, energy) on a relatively obscure faction and gearing them to g11+. But what about the player that just hit level 85 and is just starting the g12 grind?

Prior legendaries have been more accessible, which keeps players engaged and interested. Why make the newest ones harder to attain? While CG has made gear slightly easier to get, getting toons to g11 still takes much more work than the g8 needed for the older legendaries.

I think the challenge of this event is ok. I can deal with it, but I’d rather see legendaries as popular characters that a large swath of the player base can access and play. These shouldn’t be give away characters, but I think the recent trend demonstrates a disregard for the newer players and keeping those newer players. That’s not good for the game’s long term health.
    as a player that has recently hit 85 these events r not for new players they r for end game ones so could care less about g12 requirements for players that should be there already if playing game. There is no way a new player can work on the 6 starter g8 events and then throw 2 more on that plate. After the g8 ones r done that can be a focus for those that need events just to log in. But not on my to do list like most new and don’t care. It’s kind of like if u want to reach g12 don’t keep putting new toons to g8 gets u nowhere.