Idea: Diminishing Returns (for Loops and Protection)

Akaryn
58 posts Member
edited December 2018
So recently the theory crafters have been going nuts about C3POs Potential (solo HAAT/P3 HSTR) as well as recently going not-so-nuts about the Nest Nerf.
A guild mate also recently ran into the (arena) issue that due to C3POs Synergy, he was not able to defeat a Nest 5v1 in 4:20 minutes as due to C3PO he would get into an infinite loop endlessly stacking her prot - which is kinda meh I guess.

That brings me to the following idea:
how about a something called a "diminishing return" on "stacking" effects. That means,
- chance to expose on same target +XX % less likely per expose (per round) (e.g., -10%)
- stacking protection -XX% per "stack" (per round) (also ~ -10%)
- TM gains -XX% per gained TM per round

I know that this would mean a bit of an outcry for all the people that have invested heavily into the latest legendary/powerful characters but for the long term I believe it would add a really good mechanic to avoid all the exploits happening around infinite loops while still sustaining GREAT usability of the characters.

P.S. The idea comes from Crowd Control / Stun Management in a well know MMORPG.
Post edited by Akaryn on

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    I think there are less impactful ways to the game to fix the current expose issues we are seeing.

If this was early in game or here from the beginning it would be a different story, but this would hurt the player base too much to have such a wide spread change to the game mechanics.
  • Thanks for your reply. It would certainly hurt, but in the long term perspective create a more balanced PvP/PvE.

But now I must go back to farm Nest, HT and Ewoks :-D
  • Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator
    Akaryn wrote: »
    So recently the theory crafters have been going nuts about C3POs Potential (solo HAAT/P3 HSTR) as well as recently going not-so-nuts about the Nest Nerf.
    A guild mate also recently ran into the (arena) issue that due to C3POs Synergy, he was not able to defeat a Nest 5v1 in 4:20 minutes as due to C3PO he would get into an infinite loop endlessly stacking her prot - which is kinda meh I guess.
    The problem is that your guildie keeps using C3PO's special ability to mass attack Enfys Nest. That is not how you defeat Enfys Nest. He needs to stop spamming the infinite loop and let Enfys take a turn.

Lets not change the entire game design just because your friend doesn't know how to attack smart

• It was just one of the many examples (also I think once you are in that position you literally cannot exit that loop, since C3PO always reduces TM). Low-geared Finn Teams beating high-end Revans without them having a turn is another. HAAT and HSTR yet another.

Think about the possibilites though. You would actually need to plan your cc instead of blindly running cc chain teams (which I for example am successfully using, hey Siths).
  • I went against a cls chewie 3po team with my traya yesterday.
    My team being a lot faster I did not even get to attack....after 5 minutes it timed out with traya and enfys still alive. All but 3po were on 1 health on the other side.

Thats just not right man....
    Que la Fuerza os acompañe!

Kakaka

Telegram @Kakakawakaka
    https://swgoh.gg/u/kakakawakaka/
    Código aliado 192-195-873
    https://swgoh.gg/g/516/global-elite-games/
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Akaryn wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply. It would certainly hurt, but in the long term perspective create a more balanced PvP/PvE.

But now I must go back to farm Nest, HT and Ewoks :-D

This would actually create a bigger imbalance IMO. Older toons that rely heavily on having one of these particular debuffs would become even less useful.

There are also factions that rely heavily on debuffs and others that dont, so by effecting one group more then another, we again create a situation of less balance rather than more.

This is why whole sale changes to long standing mechanics is a bad idea.