GA solution to matchmaking

I hear alot about how people are manipulating their mods to lower their GP so that they are matched with easier opponents. In that case would it be more reasonable to be matched based on your GP without factoring in your mods.

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Just because people are doing it doesnt mean its giving them any advantage.

Opponents 200k lower than you can still have the same 10-15 teams well developed and modded that a lot of people will be using.
  • Agreed. Only real benefit I can see is if you're RIGHT on the threshold between tiers and want to drop to place fewer teams on D.
  • Kyno wrote: »

Opponents 200k lower than you can still have the same 10-15 teams well developed and modded that a lot of people will be using.

On the flip side that's assuming you're the one with the primed account. Because if the other guy did a better job at farming the right squads then the extra 200k will be more than a significant advantage. You're also not thinking ahead, the current system is easier to exploit which means people will find ways to do that more efficiently. My proposition reduces the amount of potential exploitation and abuse.

All I know is that for this GA I dominated easily. I have set up my account efficiently so far, only 4 out of the 8 of us had Traya and only I and 1 more guy had her g12. I also tend to not inflate my GP since before GA was even a thing. I never cared to mod my lower level characters unless I ran out of inventory space with my mods. And it proved to be a huge advantage
  • PeteBajama wrote: »
    I hear alot about how people are manipulating their mods to lower their GP so that they are matched with easier opponents. In that case would it be more reasonable to be matched based on your GP without factoring in your mods.

Someone with minimal to no mods at all would then be matched with someone with an extensive inventory of mods that would have netted him 500k of gp.

No. It would not make sense.
  • PeteBajama wrote: »

Someone with minimal to no mods at all would then be matched with someone with an extensive inventory of mods that would have netted him 500k of gp.

But mods won't be factored in. Just gear level and ability levels. What you said makes no sense, care to explain what you mean?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    PeteBajama wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »

On the flip side that's assuming you're the one with the primed account. Because if the other guy did a better job at farming the right squads then the extra 200k will be more than a significant advantage. You're also not thinking ahead, the current system is easier to exploit which means people will find ways to do that more efficiently. My proposition reduces the amount of potential exploitation and abuse.

All I know is that for this GA I dominated easily. I have set up my account efficiently so far, only 4 out of the 8 of us had Traya and only I and 1 more guy had her g12. I also tend to not inflate my GP since before GA was even a thing. I never cared to mod my lower level characters unless I ran out of inventory space with my mods. And it proved to be a huge advantage

This would be confirmation bias.

Unless someone is getting beat and then drops mods and is now crushing it, it's all just speculation and rumor. This is similar as saying simming in groups of 3 has better results. There is no proof that anyone will do better against opponents just from dropping mods and "lowering GP".

If you are at the cusp you may try it to get a lower placement count, but the dropped gp otherwise is low enough to not be very effective in getting an easier opponent.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member

But mods won't be factored in. Just gear level and ability levels. What you said makes no sense, care to explain what you mean?

They would still be used in the battles so the person with the mods will have a big advantage. Unless you are suggesting that GA be done without mods, which is not a good suggestion.
  • Liath wrote: »

They would still be used in the battles so the person with the mods will have a big advantage. Unless you are suggesting that GA be done without mods, which is not a good suggestion.

No I am saying that your GP should be calculated without taking mods into account. If you and I for example had the exact same characters same gear, same levels, same ability levels and you had 500k worth of mods equipped and I had 100k worth of mods equipped and the rest of them were in my inventory. We would still be matched together even though your GP would be 400k higher because it's all coming from mods but our characters are identically developed
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Liath wrote: »

No I am saying that your GP should be calculated without taking mods into account. If you and I for example had the exact same characters same gear, same levels, same ability levels and you had 500k worth of mods equipped and I had 100k worth of mods equipped and the rest of them were in my inventory. We would still be matched together even though your GP would be 400k higher because it's all coming from mods but our characters are identically developed

Right. And the response to you was that this would be bad because somebody with mods will destroy somebody without mods in that scenario.

If your goal is to improve matchmaking, this suggestion does not help.