GA Matching is Fine.

2Next

Replies

• In the first few GA's I was matched against people who had absolutely no chance against me, I beat all their squads in one attempt. This time I'm matched against someone who did that to me. It does seem like the matchmaking could use a little work. It's no fun if your opponent can't even put up a fight and it's no fun if you can't either. Having the match-ups be as close as possible is better for everyone.
  • Obi1_son wrote: »
    Only ppl saying it is fine are the ones getting an advantage and an easy win due to it

Only ppl who are complaining are the ones who threw credits into all their toons instead of investing in mods.
    False. Those of us who invested in fleet play are at a large disadvantage in this GA because they used total GP for matchmaking but there isn't a single fleet node.

The only way I am able to stay remotely competitive is skill & modding but even those cannot compensate for an opponent who has 30% more squad GP than I do.
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    Obi1_son wrote: »
    Only ppl saying it is fine are the ones getting an advantage and an easy win due to it

Only ppl who are complaining are the ones who threw credits into all their toons instead of investing in mods.
    False. Those of us who invested in fleet play are at a large disadvantage in this GA because they used total GP for matchmaking but there isn't a single fleet node.

The only way I am able to stay remotely competitive is skill & modding but even those cannot compensate for an opponent who has 30% more squad GP than I do.

I have invested heavily in my ships through multiple metas. I don't think all my G12 bugs are doing me much good in GA.

And yet I'm still winning.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    TVF wrote: »
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    Obi1_son wrote: »

I have invested heavily in my ships through multiple metas. I don't think all my G12 bugs are doing me much good in GA.

And yet I'm still winning.

Would that automatically make the system fair? One can still win in an unfair system. I doubt anyone is saying it's impossible to win, but that it's not a fair system.

Despite all my fluff I'm winning as well, I got 2nd in the first round by banner difference with full clears. That's because I'm a hardcore player. Nothing to do with the system.
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member
    Ok. This is a hardcore event. We are both rewarded for maximizing our rosters.

Guess what - so is arena. And yet people aren't complaining about that.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »

It can be made...not a bit...much more fair which will also result in it being more challenging for us with not predetermined results when you check the rosters, but on the field itself.
  • TVF wrote: »

If it were just roster optimization that would be fine but facing opponents who have up to 30% more resources to work with is a big handicap.

My first opponent has 17% more squad GP than I do. I am beating him because my modding is better than his and my strategic choices were good.

My next opponent will likely be one of the two players with around 28% more squad GP, 7-12 g12s, around a dozen zetas and good modding.

If I had 200k more squad GP we would be even, my roster would be closer to that level and we would have a good battle but I don't and my only realistic hope of victory is if they are a no-show.

The matchmaking is broken because it is using the wrong GP value.
  • There are some improvements that can be made, but overall I think the matchmaking works.

Thing of it is, so long as Galactic Power is based on what percentage of completion a character is, it will always be flawed because a g12 Jedi Consular with all his abilities Omega'd will never be equal to a G12 Nightsister Acolyte who also has three abilities, but her abilities have been updated more recently. This doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of, say, Grandmaster Yoda compared to Chewbacca.

If characters aren't created equally, but their GP is treated equally, then a system predicated purely on GP is flawed.

But, as I said, it works. I feel like it needs more fine-tuning, but that requires data, and to get that we're going to need to go through Grand Arenas with unrefined matchmaking.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • NicWester wrote: »
    Thing of it is, so long as Galactic Power is based on what percentage of completion a character is, it will always be flawed because a g12 Jedi Consular with all his abilities Omega'd will never be equal to a G12 Nightsister Acolyte who also has three abilities, but her abilities have been updated more recently. This doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of, say, Grandmaster Yoda compared to Chewbacca.

If characters aren't created equally, but their GP is treated equally, then a system predicated purely on GP is flawed.
    The moment you unlock Consular's starfighter his GP value triples - crew GP = 2x char GP - for no practical gain.
  • I invite you all to imagine the blistering barrage of complaints if the next GA was fleet only and used total GP for matchmaking...