GA matchmaking is perfect

Prev1
It has been said by many that total GP is not sufficient for matchmaking. That it should take into account such things as zetas, gear levels, mods, and even specific meta characters.

The two images below clearly show me beating my opponent and our stats. He had 8 more zetas, at least 16 characters with superior gear and multiple meta teams that I don't have (traya, zbastila, NS). Yet I still came out on top. I strategized over the last 8 hours seeing what exact teams I would need to beat him and it pulled off (all fleets have been used)

Ultimately zetas don't win matches, characters don't win matches, and gear doesn't win matches. Good players win matches.




087pc4i5f8vp.jpg
jwmw3jlygmfp.jpg

Replies

  • As long as they continue to differentiate between Revan and "don't have Revan" owners, I agree. The matchmaking has been good.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

    In game guild: DeathStarVentDesigners - DVD for short.
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • I'd love to see a correlation between the mods section of that bot and the result of those matches...
  • Ultra
    1646 posts Member
    I think the matchmaking has been great. Number of zetas being unequal is fine because its zeta count is RNG dependent (how quick you farmed 5 DS ships + how many zetas drop by weekly challenges) and other things

    I would've preferred if they matched people by closest character GP then check the closest ship GP instead of overall GP, but so far my matches have been well balanced
  • Good job
  • Good job, indeed.

    But what I read from the stats is that Speed mods win matches - if used properly.
  • If you have worse mods, Zetas, etc you hits have to strategize better. Doesn’t mean you can’t win.

    So actually this makes you a bunch better player for winning.
  • Ultra wrote: »
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    As long as they continue to differentiate between Revan and "don't have Revan" owners, I agree. The matchmai agree king has been good.
    I disagree, the meta toon changes all the time, you would need to update the algorithm for each new toon
    1. vs Revan and C3PO
    2. vs Revan but no C3PO
    3. vs no revans
    4. vs no revans but have C3PO
    5. vs Revan but don't have Traya
    6. vs Traya and no C3PO

    etc.

    People will be demanding too many subsets and with C3PO Revan teams are easier to beat

    Also players shouldn't be excluded from facing others because they have certain toons others don't. Its a slippery slope that will get worse as more toons are released

    I agree 100% with this. Everyone wants to screw with the mechanics of something that otherwise seems to work alright.
  • TVF
    9359 posts Member
    Perfect?

    I mean it seems ok, but perfect?
  • VonZant
    1797 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Mind if I ask what discord channel and bot command you used foe the screen? Looks awesome.
  • TVF wrote: »
    Perfect?

    I mean it seems ok, but perfect?

    I love how technical you are
  • TVF
    9359 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »
    Perfect?

    I mean it seems ok, but perfect?

    I love how technical you are

    It would be against my programming to be otherwise.
  • VonZant wrote: »
    Mind if I ask what discord channel and bot command you used foe the screen? Looks awesome.

    The bot is DSR bot. The function is kind of a pain. You have to register both your Ally codes then type ",ga" with both Ally codes included. At least that's how I did it
  • VonZant wrote: »
    Mind if I ask what discord channel and bot command you used foe the screen? Looks awesome.

    The bot is DSR bot. The function is kind of a pain. You have to register both your Ally codes then type ",ga" with both Ally codes included. At least that's how I did it

    What discord channel is it?
  • TVF
    9359 posts Member
    It's not a channel, it's a bot. You invite it to your discord.
  • toreado
    2 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    The same here
    1fhnnv5spibt.png
  • If they'd match everyone that didn't set a defense together, then it'd be perfect.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • TVF
    9359 posts Member
    ^That's perfect.
  • I don't think it's anywhere near perfect.

    I don't have a reference from the first go-round they canceled. The second attempt my opponent didn't put any defense down. So again, no reference.

    But this time; I out halo'd and out zeta'd everyone in my group. Two of them didn't stand a chance against the remainder of us. Out of the six remaining; the difference between them and I was not GP, which is how we were matched. They had very strong fleets and I do not. This gives me a big advantage as they have to get through my fully halo'd/zeta'd sisters & fully halo'd/zeta'd bastila/gmy/jolee/ezra/gk squads. I knew before we started they were not going to get to use their ships for attack.

    I think they should adjust where ships go. I'm saying this as someone who will be disadvantaged if they do it. Move ships into their own section that can be attacked at anytime without having to go through my squads. That evens up the GP a bit more now.


    And while they're at it (nothing to do with GP); don't let us see the updated score. If we have to wait 24 hours for joins, setups, etc. just to attack; why give someone who can login and play the last hour of attack phase a strategical advantage of knowing exactly what they have to do to win. Make everyone fight their own battle and compare scores. IMO
  • Kialandi
    7 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Oh yeah it's totally perfect and without flaws.
    One of my possible opponents: https://swgoh.gg/p/857562694/characters/
    Me: https://swgoh.gg/p/875896449/characters/

    I didn't get to fight him because I lost to the other finalist.
  • Basic Zeta count is--by far--the most logical and fair method for GA matchmaking. But Zeta count in conjunction with GP tiers is definitely the way to go.

    Reason: people who have Zetas on characters would, inherently, have those characters/squads built up and invested. Thereby giving a more accurate squad to squad/toon to toon assessment. Reason for a GP tier? Because even 12 mangy dogs can kill a lion.

    A >2m GP player is not a valid assessment. When you start to get upwards of 4m, you'll understand what we're talking about. An 8 zeta difference is one thing; a 20-30 zeta difference is something else entirely.

    You invested in mods, he invested in toons. Why should either of you be penalized/ rewarded in a brand new mode when it clearly--and easily--doesn't have to be that way.
  • Ultra
    1646 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Kialandi wrote: »
    Oh yeah it's totally perfect and without flaws.
    One of my possible opponents: https://swgoh.gg/p/857562694/characters/
    Me: https://swgoh.gg/p/875896449/characters/

    I didn't get to fight him because I lost to the other finalist.
    You have 99 g11 toons and he has 74 (you aren't farming the gear to push to g12)
    You have more character GP than he does, your roster depth is greater, and your g11 should be able to overcome g12 teams (its doable)

    Its not a bad match
    Dinghy wrote: »
    Basic Zeta count is--by far--the most logical and fair method for GA matchmaking. But Zeta count in conjunction with GP tiers is definitely the way to go.

    Reason: people who have Zetas on characters would, inherently, have those characters/squads built up and invested. Thereby giving a more accurate squad to squad/toon to toon assessment. Reason for a GP tier? Because even 12 mangy dogs can kill a lion.

    A >2m GP player is not a valid assessment. When you start to get upwards of 4m, you'll understand what we're talking about. An 8 zeta difference is one thing; a 20-30 zeta difference is something else entirely.

    You invested in mods, he invested in toons. Why should either of you be penalized/ rewarded in a brand new mode when it clearly--and easily--doesn't have to be that way.
    2 players starting the game at the same time will end up with different amount of zetas. Its not fair to have 1:1 zeta count. Not all zetas are game changers and just like the squad arena, you have to find ways to overcome players with more zeta than you by being resourceful

  • Ultimately zetas don't win matches, characters don't win matches, and gear doesn't win matches. Superior speed modswin matches.

    FTFY😉 although toreado's pic may say differently but that's so close I imagine it could have gone both ways, unless his opponent zeta'ed CWC, K2 etc and took them to G12.

    I had some pretty decent match-ups so I'm not complaining, but if you're "undergeared" relative to your opponent you gotta have the right characters to stand a chance.
  • It has been said by many that total GP is not sufficient for matchmaking. That it should take into account such things as zetas, gear levels, mods, and even specific meta characters.

    The two images below clearly show me beating my opponent and our stats. He had 8 more zetas, at least 16 characters with superior gear and multiple meta teams that I don't have (traya, zbastila, NS). Yet I still came out on top. I strategized over the last 8 hours seeing what exact teams I would need to beat him and it pulled off (all fleets have been used)

    Ultimately zetas don't win matches, characters don't win matches, and gear doesn't win matches. Good players win matches.




    087pc4i5f8vp.jpg
    jwmw3jlygmfp.jpg

    cool story but pretty insignificant in terms of the title...as lots of people have posted the exact opposite so it's obviously NOT PERFECT...or even really good at this point.....mathwise statisitcally there had to be some good matchups out there...but the majority... I doubt it but there is no real way to know for sure...all that we know is the title of the OP is false

    you do have Awesome in your name and it seems you like everyone else to know it too :)
    but I do recognize the Awesomeness and skill in your play consider me an Calvin Awesome groupie...

    Drop by the strategy section drop some posts on your strategy so someday I can be Awesome too !!!!!!!

    I would settle for semi-awesome or kinda awesome with the matchmaking being what it is I'd settle for some hometown good housekeeping Meh-Awesome

  • Kialandi
    7 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Ultra wrote: »

    You have 99 g11 toons and he has 74 (you aren't farming the gear to push to g12)
    You have more character GP than he does, your roster depth is greater, and your g11 should be able to overcome g12 teams (its doable)

    Its not a bad match

    I think you messed up the numbers. You looked at 7* stars characters and not the gear.
    I have 4 G12 characters and 7 G11. He's got 33 G12 and 1 G11.
    Also my 12 zetas against his 24 zetas.
  • kalidor wrote: »
    If they'd match everyone that didn't set a defense together, then it'd be perfect.

    crying about free wins, free modulators, free gear in excess will never ever get old to me... wish I had that kind of luck with the matchmaking...who knows...maybe down the road when enough people don't care about GA i can get me some freebie wins too !!!!!!!!!!!!
  • TVF
    9359 posts Member
    Dk_rek wrote: »
    kalidor wrote: »
    If they'd match everyone that didn't set a defense together, then it'd be perfect.

    crying about free wins, free modulators, free gear in excess will never ever get old to me... wish I had that kind of luck with the matchmaking...who knows...maybe down the road when enough people don't care about GA i can get me some freebie wins too !!!!!!!!!!!!

    Who's crying?

    Just want to make sure you don't think the person who made the funny post is crying.
  • Ultra wrote: »
    Kialandi wrote: »
    Oh yeah it's totally perfect and without flaws.
    One of my possible opponents: https://swgoh.gg/p/857562694/characters/
    Me: https://swgoh.gg/p/875896449/characters/

    I didn't get to fight him because I lost to the other finalist.
    You have 99 g11 toons and he has 74 (you aren't farming the gear to push to g12)
    You have more character GP than he does, your roster depth is greater, and your g11 should be able to overcome g12 teams (its doable)

    Its not a bad match
    Dinghy wrote: »
    Basic Zeta count is--by far--the most logical and fair method for GA matchmaking. But Zeta count in conjunction with GP tiers is definitely the way to go.

    Reason: people who have Zetas on characters would, inherently, have those characters/squads built up and invested. Thereby giving a more accurate squad to squad/toon to toon assessment. Reason for a GP tier? Because even 12 mangy dogs can kill a lion.

    A >2m GP player is not a valid assessment. When you start to get upwards of 4m, you'll understand what we're talking about. An 8 zeta difference is one thing; a 20-30 zeta difference is something else entirely.

    You invested in mods, he invested in toons. Why should either of you be penalized/ rewarded in a brand new mode when it clearly--and easily--doesn't have to be that way.
    2 players starting the game at the same time will end up with different amount of zetas. Its not fair to have 1:1 zeta count. Not all zetas are game changers and just like the squad arena, you have to find ways to overcome players with more zeta than you by being resourceful

    Agree

    I could have 20 zetas opponent could have 3 and those 20 zetas are completely worthless and a very bad estimate of the match

  • I still think a more refined approach will prevent mismatches. My Arena had two players that were clearly head and shoulders above the rest and one that was clearly at the bottom.

    Sure enough the two 2-0s were the guys with the min-maxed rosters and the 0-3 was the guy with a bad one.

    Anything that narrows the disparity between top and bottom is good.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Ultra wrote: »
    2 players starting the game at the same time will end up with different amount of zetas. Its not fair to have 1:1 zeta count. Not all zetas are game changers and just like the squad arena, you have to find ways to overcome players with more zeta than you by being resourceful

    I agree that not all Zetas are equal, but the idea isn't so much centered around the power of the Zetas but rather the investment into the squads that have Zetas. That would give a more accurate matchup in terms of viable squads between the two players. Having it scaled further based on GP would help mitigate the toon-heavy-but-low-zeta matchmaking issues that could arise.

    In any event, it's a much better system then the lazy "pure GP" method. I shouldn't be penalized for farming and unlocking toons by then being paired with someone who has identical GP, but has more than 20 Zetas than I do.
Sign In or Register to comment.