GA more like RISK

The more and more I think about it, the more I keep thinking the game board needs to change.This would alleviate a lot of the fluff/algorithm concerns. The fact that someone could have 5 teams that are meta teams all at G12 and can bottleneck another player from playing is a real problem.

There needs to be a way for a player to win on territories so you equally weight the depth of an inventory and not just quality alone.

The board should be like that of a RISK board with setting 2 to 5 teams per territory and multiple pathways to conquer the board. This way someone with only 5 meta teams could only defend 5 territories but would have nothing on offense. If they did have to use offense,then they don't have enough teams to defense or block all the paths to the territories.

It makes all the sense in the world. Gives the player more choices, makes us use our entire rosters, injects more strategy into the game and doesn't limit us to only hitting 1 or 2 territories and giving up when there is a bottleneck.

Replies

• LukeDukem8
    608 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I am thinking the board could be more like a Dart board. Multiple ways to get to the center. The outer territories are worth less points than the inner territories. You can choose to ignore the center and hit all of the outer territories and still have a chance to win.

cwmox4imm9ks.jpg

• Options
    I think this has a lot of potential. Its unfortunate that a random forumer has a better idea than the paid devs.
  • Options
    I think this has a lot of potential. Its unfortunate that a random forumer has a better idea than the paid devs.

Could you imagine how mad people would be if this had been the original setup? “It’s too complicated, I need too many teams, why is the center worth so much if you can get there with only two attacks?” Blah, blah, blah.

What we have is simple and easy to begin with to get people used to it. Then you layer in complexity from there—first we had two territories, then we had four with one for ships, the next step is 3v3, maybe the one after that will be a different board layout.

Just because something isn’t in the game doesn’t mean it wasn’t considered or that it will never be.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    NicWester wrote: »

Could you imagine how mad people would be if this had been the original setup? “It’s too complicated, I need too many teams, why is the center worth so much if you can get there with only two attacks?” Blah, blah, blah.

What we have is simple and easy to begin with to get people used to it. Then you layer in complexity from there—first we had two territories, then we had four with one for ships, the next step is 3v3, maybe the one after that will be a different board layout.

Just because something isn’t in the game doesn’t mean it wasn’t considered or that it will never be.

People will be mad either way. I feel like this would alleviate the fluff issue. We need multiple mays to win.
  • Options

Personally, I dont recall any whines because something was too complex. Overpowered? Sure. Full of bugs? Sure. P2win? Sure. But too complicated? Nope.

I think the current GA is a cheap rip off of tw. Theyve implemented it that way because it was easy to do, most of the code being already available.
    GA should have been made a completely different mode, much like the above concept which would require actual skills.
  • Options

Personally, I dont recall any whines because something was too complex. Overpowered? Sure. Full of bugs? Sure. P2win? Sure. But too complicated? Nope.

Mods.
  • Options
    From a programming perspective, it’s FAR easier to adjust matchmaking formulas, number of zones, etc. AFTER you have a functioning game mode and working structure in place. Their primary concern was to get the system up and running. Tweaking formulas and maps is much easier to do now. We’ve only had 1 full GA so far and the 2nd one is already a different format with 3 vs. 3 matches. Additional tweaks will come with time.
  • 3pourr2
    1927 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    This would have been great applied to gw table.
  • Tie_Wan_Jyn
    56 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I think this is a great idea, although Your circle should go like this depending on total GP bracket you fit into(Starting from inside to out); 1/2/3 | 1/3/5 | 1/5/7 and just alternate the # of squads per sector based on how much GP they are working with.

Also another great idea to play around with might be a Separate Attack/Defend cycle. Were they set ALL their units for defense one time, then they try to conquer your full defense set, using total # of victories, life/protection at the end of each victory and all the same whatnot they use now for points and see who can outscore who. This would make it so the users with a less deepened roster dont have to struggle to field both a Attacking and Defending set, they just need to hold up better or wipe them out smarter then his/her opponent
  • Options
    I don’t see how it adds strategy. I feel it takes it away to be honest. Having multiple pathways prevents people from building strong, coherent defenses tailored to the opponent’s roster and allow anyone to dodge everything they don’t like because they just don’t feel like working with counters and do their homework.
    Finding out ways to make non-meta teams work is what makes tw and now ga interesting compared to super stale squad arena.

The game mode is very new and they already said they wanted to keep it fresh and mix things up, i don’t think the way territories are set up is bad.
  • Options
    I don't think this is optimal because it basically eliminates strategy and forces a strict path. If the outside territories are worth less points than the inside then it basically forces everyone to start with weak teams outside and progressively use stronger. There's no strategy involve here because you can't place your toughest teams up front and try to block them since they can just go around them and revisit them later on.

With the current system that we have you can strategize more because you can choose to either make your front line stronger and hope they blow enough teams so when they reach the back row your weak squads have a better shot at surviving or maybe prevent them from even reaching your back row.

Or you can go weak up front and hope they overcommit at a weaker squad so when they get to the back they fall on your stronger squads while they are a bit depleted.

They only way I can see your system work is if it's a spiral. The can enter either through the front or the back and have to follow a path to get to the middle. This enables the defender to protect his/her squads more
  • Options
    LukeDukem8 wrote: »
    I am thinking the board could be more like a Dart board. Multiple ways to get to the center. The outer territories are worth less points than the inner territories. You can choose to ignore the center and hit all of the outer territories and still have a chance to win.

cwmox4imm9ks.jpg

I like it. But I also like the way it is now. I think this would be a very good variation down the road to switch it up every once in a while.
  • Options
    I like this idea but you should break it down a little more, perhaps depending on your GP bracket it can be either 1/2/3 ; 1/3/5 ; or 1/5/7(Maybe 2/5/7) with differing # of squads per sector depening on how high you are.

Also, I think since they are doing differing formats of GAs, maybe add a third to the set (The first two being 1 with and 1 without ships) where it is more or a Attack/Defend scenerio where you use all of your Squads to do one or the other (Not both at once) and you see who comes out on top. Obviously taking a turn at each against the same opponent. The attack/defend GA could even be like Hi-Lo poker and have a prize pool for both best defending score and best attacking score.
  • JediMindTricks
    1077 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I thought GA would be different. Instead it’s basiclly a solo players version of TW(Which I don’t really like to play). I know others like it and that’s cool, we all have different things we like on the game. For me it is arena, raids and TB that I like to play more. I’ll continue to play GA cause some rewards are better than none...I just thought it would have been different.
  • Options
    PeteBajama wrote: »
    I don't think this is optimal because it basically eliminates strategy and forces a strict path. If the outside territories are worth less points than the inside then it basically forces everyone to start with weak teams outside and progressively use stronger. There's no strategy involve here because you can't place your toughest teams up front and try to block them since they can just go around them and revisit them later on.

With the current system that we have you can strategize more because you can choose to either make your front line stronger and hope they blow enough teams so when they reach the back row your weak squads have a better shot at surviving or maybe prevent them from even reaching your back row.

Or you can go weak up front and hope they overcommit at a weaker squad so when they get to the back they fall on your stronger squads while they are a bit depleted.

They only way I can see your system work is if it's a spiral. The can enter either through the front or the back and have to follow a path to get to the middle. This enables the defender to protect his/her squads more

I was thinking of avoiding the scenario where 1 player with a revan squad gets to block 50% of the map. That kind of disparity doesn't make sense. This is about having an entire roster and not just 1 team or a few premier teams.
  • Options

I was thinking of avoiding the scenario where 1 player with a revan squad gets to block 50% of the map. That kind of disparity doesn't make sense. This is about having an entire roster and not just 1 team or a few premier teams.

You can avoid it by doing some research about the multiple teams that can beat revan and build the one easiest for you / you like the most.
    Coming from someone who simply can’t beat maxed out nightsisters because i don’t have any of the counters. You not being able to do something =/= something being impossible to do.

No need to change a game mode entirely.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

The solution to that is a simple variant of the current map with a fifth zone in the middle which can be attacked from either front zone and which from which you can attack either rear zone.

So top rear is attackable from top front or mid, bottom rear from bottom front or mid.
  • Tilidi
    56 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    My solution is way easier, Defense teams get their mods bonus set to 0.(like the toons have no mods equipped)
    Priority to attack.

gearing to G12 would help, zetas would help, but meta with god mods would no longer prevent players from actually playing GA.
  • Options
    I feel anything would be better than the way GA is now. It’s basiclly a solo players version of TW which is doing the exact same thing as you do with your guild.

GA doesn’t seem like new content to me...it seems more like just another way to play the exact same thing.

I’ll play GA because I want the rewards and don’t want to miss out despite rewards being good or not...but in my opinion it really isnt fun or original.

I would have much rather GA be something like fighting other peoples arena teams on other server shards that were all closely ranked or equaled to my own roster.

We’ve only had one GA and so far it already seems dull and boring to me....and it’s because it’s just like TW.
  • Options
    I honestly love GA exactly as it is now. The higher value territories and different paths to get there is an interesting idea, but unless you have exactly the right roster for it, it just seems like it makes it very easy for your opponent to dodge all your good teams entirely.

Maybe it'd work as a different mode that pops up occasionally, but I don't think it holds up as the default format.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Options
    JohnAran wrote: »

You can avoid it by doing some research about the multiple teams that can beat revan and build the one easiest for you / you like the most.
    Coming from someone who simply can’t beat maxed out nightsisters because i don’t have any of the counters. You not being able to do something =/= something being impossible to do.

I see this GA mode to be more like chess or Risk. Multiple pieces across many squares and you need to navigate around the board to eventually beat your opponent. The strongest pieces aren't in the front for a reason. It involves strategy and understanding how to maneuver your pieces.

Am not sure you are up against many revans, but the ones in my arena are 300+ speed. I only know 1 team that can beat revan with that kind of speed (and until recently now a second team).

• Options

Mods.

P1 of the Sith Raid.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • LukeDukem8
    608 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Jarvind wrote: »
    I honestly love GA exactly as it is now. The higher value territories and different paths to get there is an interesting idea, but unless you have exactly the right roster for it, it just seems like it makes it very easy for your opponent to dodge all your good teams entirely.

Maybe it'd work as a different mode that pops up occasionally, but I don't think it holds up as the default format.

Here is the thing...the main reason for the multiple territories is to avoid a situation where someone with a tiny roster but 6 meta teams could win a match against someone with 50 solid teams. A solid team could be G10 toons, but they will all be useless against a G12+ meta team that is blocking half the board.

The emphasis should be on breadth and depth to a roster. A wider board would (and should) give the player with 20 teams the chance to conquer more territories and potentially win the match over a player who just hung on to 2 territories.
  • AndySCovell
    770 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Why should my mods I worked hard on and got some lucky pulls not count for GA defense?

Oh wait that’s right. You might not have good mods so it makes it easier for ya. Totally makes sense.
  • Options

I see this GA mode to be more like chess or Risk. Multiple pieces across many squares and you need to navigate around the board to eventually beat your opponent. The strongest pieces aren't in the front for a reason. It involves strategy and understanding how to maneuver your pieces.

Am not sure you are up against many revans, but the ones in my arena are 300+ speed. I only know 1 team that can beat revan with that kind of speed (and until recently now a second team).

I barely fought any Revans since i’m only 2m gp and can’t climb to top 30 in arena. I read the forums though so i know for a fact that mirror Revan, Traya, and Ewoks were 3 possible teams (and pretty sure not the only 3) before c3po. Now you have much more with c3po.
    It’s not that your idea isn’t cool but it makes no sense unless you can move your defenses between attacks and both opponents are on the same map, and then the game mode is just completely different, not just the layout.

You seem to think that people having 6 strong teams should be at a disadvantage against people having 10 less strong teams for some reason. First i don’t see why, second they might be if you have good counters to some of their teams. G10-11 nightsister will destroy g12 jtr, g10-11 troopers will beat g12 nightsisters etc.
    It’s up to you to use your depth to your advantage. If you can’t beat just 2 of their teams it’s on you, you should have strong teams too.

Although i would agree that you should be able to get to back territories from below or top. The map being just straight, independent lines is cheap.
  • Options
    Why should my mods I worked hard on and got some lucky pulls not count for GA defense?

Oh wait that’s right. You might not have good mods so it makes it easier for ya. Totally makes sense.

If you use the team in Defense, you won't play it obviously, the AI will, and since you won't know which team the opponent used to kill it, it won't matter at all to you. So whether its mods are useful or not... Anyway it is A solution (and not THE solution) to the current meta blockade.

An average team with mods can defeat a meta without mods. Priority to Attack. Which is the only phase we actually get to play.

And what is valid for your defense is also true for your opponent's defense: no mods either.

• Options

I barely fought any Revans since i’m only 2m gp and can’t climb to top 30 in arena. I read the forums though so i know for a fact that mirror Revan, Traya, and Ewoks were 3 possible teams (and pretty sure not the only 3) before c3po. Now you have much more with c3po.
    It’s not that your idea isn’t cool but it makes no sense unless you can move your defenses between attacks and both opponents are on the same map, and then the game mode is just completely different, not just the layout.

You seem to think that people having 6 strong teams should be at a disadvantage against people having 10 less strong teams for some reason. First i don’t see why, second they might be if you have good counters to some of their teams. G10-11 nightsister will destroy g12 jtr, g10-11 troopers will beat g12 nightsisters etc.
    It’s up to you to use your depth to your advantage. If you can’t beat just 2 of their teams it’s on you, you should have strong teams too.

Although i would agree that you should be able to get to back territories from below or top. The map being just straight, independent lines is cheap.

The ewok vid you saw had a pap with god like mods against a not so fast revan. You would need a 150 speed set to get pap to go faster than revan, which means there are 2 (now 3) teams and even traya is not a garuntee.

My main point is when you have a small board, the only advantage is to the player who only has a handful of premier toons. There should be another option at winning which promotes having a deeper roster. That is what they promoted in this game content.

Right now its practically an auto win for someone who has revan vs another person who doesnt have revan or traya. Am just trying to find a better balance or more choices.

I like where you are going with different directions of attack for sure... or maybe you have a territory where you can set up to 5 defenses but you only see one team at a time. So you dont know who the next opponent is or how many they set. Just a thought.

In the end am just trying to make this game mode more dynamic.

• Options
    Or.... keep the same board but allow access Up/Down. I.E. If you clear to your enemies' Right Top region, you have access to the Right Bottom Region, even if you have not cleared the Left bottom region.

Really using Meta teams in front to basically defend 2 regions is a valid strategy, But its risky, if you put filler squads in the back your enemy will rack up the points if they can clear your metas(which likly are toons they will have faced and know how to beat).