Arena Team Restrucrure

I'm playing around with my arena team a bit as I've upgraded some players and added a 6* Thrawn (unlocked him at 6* last event). I've been moving up, but also losing big as I continue to experiment, and just thought I'd seek a little input.

Been running zEP lead with Vader, TFP, Tarkin, and Zylo for a while, sort of hit a wall. Put Thrawn in, then tried Boba, replacing TFP and Tarkin. Watched myself running into lots of trouble with other TFPs, so bumped mines speed up to 226 and tried throwing him back in taking out Boba, and maybe just hit the wrong team or RNG, but was outspeeded by a landslide against a near mirror team and never got a turn. Soooo..... Thoughts?

Roster: https://swgoh.gg/p/413765196/characters/

Also, side note, anyone know why my Vader is listed on swogg at 39% for abilities when about the only thing I haven't done is zeta him?!

Replies

• Vader has 2 zeta's of 2,4k power per zeta, so yeah, power-wise you're at 39%
  • for zEp, vader, tarkin, thrawn, tfp mirror matches vaders speed is all that matters, if opponent's vader is faster than urs ... then its game over unless u have a huge power difference over him and ur other chars hav way more speed than his... but vaders speed is usually the deciding factor...
    Dunno about vader's ability % in swgoh.gg
  • You need a tank, or you’ll never hold on defense. I’d work on Sion and Nihilus. Since nihilus gains TM when sion is debuffed, you can take a turn even if your opponent outspeeds you. Use Nihilus’ special to increase enemy cooldowns and you can fight your way back (especially with the zetas on Nihilus and Sions uniques to spam debuffs on enemy turns). On offense, you can also put in Solo and stun your opponent’s Vader out of the gate.
  • enltguy wrote: »

Been running zEP lead with Vader, TFP, Tarkin, and Zylo for a while, sort of hit a wall. Put Thrawn in, then tried Boba, replacing TFP and Tarkin.

Did you try replacing Kylo with Thrawn? I love Kylo, but he's a misfit on that team - he isn't benefitting from EP's lead or boosting Vader's speed, and none of his allies will get the turn meter boost from Lash Out.
    You need a tank, or you’ll never hold on defense.

Also this. Bonus, Sion's hard node will also get you shards for Kylo's ship.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Bloodless wrote: »
    for zEp, vader, tarkin, thrawn, tfp mirror matches vaders speed is all that matters, if opponent's vader is faster than urs ... then its game over unless u have a huge power difference over him and ur other chars hav way more speed than his... but vaders speed is usually the deciding factor...
    Dunno about vader's ability % in swgoh.gg

Yup, probably right, and I forgot this. They definitely took a couple turns and got Force Crush off first...
  • enltguy
    58 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    You need a tank, or you’ll never hold on defense. I’d work on Sion and Nihilus. Since nihilus gains TM when sion is debuffed, you can take a turn even if your opponent outspeeds you. Use Nihilus’ special to increase enemy cooldowns and you can fight your way back (especially with the zetas on Nihilus and Sions uniques to spam debuffs on enemy turns). On offense, you can also put in Solo and stun your opponent’s Vader out of the gate.

Agreed, but working on them is definitely needed. I feel like Sion MIGHT be arena ready soon, but Nihilus is still a fair bit lower in power. I've read 5* G11 is really where you want either of them before plugging in to Arena.

Was thinking of maybe using Han. Who would I pull out for him?

I'm used to slipping 100-200 and climbing back. Does it matter a lot? I guess I also thought of Vader as a tank, he's beefy, but you're right, doesn't wear the tag. Soo... Thoughts on plugging in my KRU as a tank for now, or test Sion? I'm sitting on a zeta I was going to hold to potentially give to R2 after I 7* him as once FBLuke gets some more shards, I'm ready for the next CLS event and want to be ready for that. I've sworn I'm getting him this next go round, I've missed two already. Not to say I can't make another zeta before then, but if he's early January and the R2 zeta is key, don't want to lose it on Arena right now (as in giving it to KRU or Sion).
  • And I guess, now that I brought up CLS, which does appear set to come back January, do I stop my focus on Empire/Sith (somewhat sadly, as I've put a lot into that team recently), and up the ante on my Rebels a little more, maybe working a CLS, zHan, Leia, zR2, OB or something like that (literally no clue how that plays in arena these days, I have never competed with Rebels before)?
    You need a tank, or you’ll never hold on defense. I’d work on Sion and Nihilus. Since nihilus gains TM when sion is debuffed, you can take a turn even if your opponent outspeeds you. Use Nihilus’ special to increase enemy cooldowns and you can fight your way back (especially with the zetas on Nihilus and Sions uniques to spam debuffs on enemy turns). On offense, you can also put in Solo and stun your opponent’s Vader out of the gate.

Agreed, but working on them is definitely needed. I feel like Sion MIGHT be arena ready soon, but Nihilus is still a fair bit lower in power. I've read 5* G11 is really where you want either of them before plugging in to Arena.

Was thinking of maybe using Han. Who would I pull out for him?

I'm used to slipping 100-200 and climbing back. Does it matter a lot? I guess I also thought of Vader as a tank, he's beefy, but you're right, doesn't wear the tag. Soo... Thoughts on plugging in my KRU as a tank for now, or test Sion? I'm sitting on a zeta I was going to hold to potentially give to R2 after I 7* him as once FBLuke gets some more shards, I'm ready for the next CLS event and want to be ready for that. I've sworn I'm getting him this next go round, I've missed two already. Not to say I can't make another zeta before then, but if he's early January and the R2 zeta is key, don't want to lose it on Arena right now (as in giving it to KRU or Sion).

I'd try sion first. He synergizes better with the team and is a better tank over all fir empire/sith. He'll spread pain and be constantly taunting. He also gives your vader more speed and kru does not.

But if you're staying empire/ds the path I'd take is put sion in for kylo. Replace tfp with thrawn. Get your nihilas up and replace tarkin with him. Then get traya and replace vader with traya.

I run ep, traya, nihilas, sion, and thrawn and beat all but the fastest revan teams. I sub in tarkin for ep in some cases to make my thrawn fast enough to fracture revan if he's nit fast enough under ep lead.

But you should shoot for the eventual meta. You'll do well enough in the meantime if you follow that path. The other option is farm the req for revan and switch to jedi. Those are the two paths of least resistance to doing well in arena.
  • I can't bring myself to chase Revan a) because he's so the "it" OP, and was a whale tale when he came out, and b) I have like NO OR toons anywhere close to being able to participate in that event, or any event for that matter. It'd be like starting from scratch, and I don't see it as something I really want. I'll keep working the Sith/Empire thing, as EP is G11, I've already put a bit into Thrawn since getting him a week or two ago, and Sion is coming along. Traya is a WAYS off, though, as guild still take some time at T6. Only shards are the freebies from last month. Realistically, I'm only going to break into the top 500 right now, been hovering around 750 lately. Top 50 in my shard is mostly Revan, Bastilla, Traya, and some weird CLS mixes or NS. Revan is the only shift from EP a few months ago, though. It was like 80% EP teams in top ranks just recently. So kind of shooting for that, I don't need top 50, I know that's not my thing/place, but at some point top 200 would be cool. I got a slow start relative to shard age, so am just doing what I can now that I understand the game and strategy better and have been putting a little more time and focus into it.
    I can't bring myself to chase Revan a) because he's so the "it" OP, and was a whale tale when he came out, and b) I have like NO OR toons anywhere close to being able to participate in that event, or any event for that matter. It'd be like starting from scratch, and I don't see it as something I really want. I'll keep working the Sith/Empire thing, as EP is G11, I've already put a bit into Thrawn since getting him a week or two ago, and Sion is coming along. Traya is a WAYS off, though, as guild still take some time at T6. Only shards are the freebies from last month. Realistically, I'm only going to break into the top 500 right now, been hovering around 750 lately. Top 50 in my shard is mostly Revan, Bastilla, Traya, and some weird CLS mixes or NS. Revan is the only shift from EP a few months ago, though. It was like 80% EP teams in top ranks just recently. So kind of shooting for that, I don't need top 50, I know that's not my thing/place, but at some point top 200 would be cool. I got a slow start relative to shard age, so am just doing what I can now that I understand the game and strategy better and have been putting a little more time and focus into it.

To be honest, revan is probably the easiest catchup toon. He works with two of the marques req for him and ezra and gmy fir a meta team. The farm is less difficult than jtr and to get jtr competitive in top of atena you need 3PO also and most use chewie. To make cls competitive you also need chewie and probably 3PO. So those options req 3 legendaries while revan req only one.

Traya is great too but you're a ways off even if you start doing hstr today. Not to mention you need jtr and about 4 other teams to be competitive in hstr.

And revan won't be meta by the time you get him if you haven't started but will still likely be the best bang for your focus of all the legendary toons currently out.

Other than the paywall for the first time, he is fairly new player friendly for a hard farm. So good to go near the top of your legendary farms.

It may not be the answer you want but you were asking how to be more competitive in arena. Revan is the path of least resistance.
    I can't bring myself to chase Revan a) because he's so the "it" OP, and was a whale tale when he came out, and b) I have like NO OR toons anywhere close to being able to participate in that event, or any event for that matter. It'd be like starting from scratch, and I don't see it as something I really want. I'll keep working the Sith/Empire thing, as EP is G11, I've already put a bit into Thrawn since getting him a week or two ago, and Sion is coming along. Traya is a WAYS off, though, as guild still take some time at T6. Only shards are the freebies from last month. Realistically, I'm only going to break into the top 500 right now, been hovering around 750 lately. Top 50 in my shard is mostly Revan, Bastilla, Traya, and some weird CLS mixes or NS. Revan is the only shift from EP a few months ago, though. It was like 80% EP teams in top ranks just recently. So kind of shooting for that, I don't need top 50, I know that's not my thing/place, but at some point top 200 would be cool. I got a slow start relative to shard age, so am just doing what I can now that I understand the game and strategy better and have been putting a little more time and focus into it.

To be honest, revan is probably the easiest catchup toon. He works with two of the marques req for him and ezra and gmy fir a meta team. The farm is less difficult than jtr and to get jtr competitive in top of atena you need 3PO also and most use chewie. To make cls competitive you also need chewie and probably 3PO. So those options req 3 legendaries while revan req only one.

Traya is great too but you're a ways off even if you start doing hstr today. Not to mention you need jtr and about 4 other teams to be competitive in hstr.

And revan won't be meta by the time you get him if you haven't started but will still likely be the best bang for your focus of all the legendary toons currently out.

Other than the paywall for the first time, he is fairly new player friendly for a hard farm. So good to go near the top of your legendary farms.

It may not be the answer you want but you were asking how to be more competitive in arena. Revan is the path of least resistance.

All of this. He's a much easier farm than JTR, and even if he is no longer the new hotness when you get him, he'll still be a beast. CLS and JTR still are, after all.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png