Grand Arena (GA) matchmaking algorithm appears to mostly rely on galactic power (GP). At first glance, it makes sense because GP is a decent indicator of how much time (and money) a player has invested in his/her roster. I am sure there are a other variables but they do not seem to matter much.
This is simple and good developers love to keep it simple. However with so many swgoh players and so many different profiles, a simple algorithm is going to be unfair to certain groups of players. If I may try a real life comparison, this is why income taxes are often incredibly complicated.
The current algorithm is giving a handicap to long-time players with now-weak squads, to players who starred every toon for TW...etc. This algorithm is also unfair to players who focused on ships.
A player like me with higher-than-average ship GP / character GP ratio will do awesome in ship battles but
- There is only one ship node and sometimes it isn't even there (like today's GA)
- This single ship node is behind a character territory which puts me at a disadvantage against the average opponent
- Ships have very high GP, one maxed ship is often >50K GP which is equivalent to 3 zetaed G12 characters, yet another disadvantage
- Ship pilots are often mediocre or weak characters, yet another disadvantage
Let me describe my current GA bracket to give you an example:
- Every single opponent has a higher character GP, on average they have +15%. This is huge in 2M GP ballpark.
- I even have an opponent with +21% character GP.
- This difference translates into an opponent that has over fifty G12 / G11 characters while I have under thirty of them. We both have a relatively lean character roster.
I love this game and have invested a lot of time and even some money in it. I like grand arena but this matchmaking is so unfair that it is frustrating. I have friends in the same boat who are already tired of it and ready to quit. I have a good character roster for my character GP and an excellent one for my ship GP but I will get consistently wrecked in GA because of that matchmaking.TLDR; my suggestion to CG
: please revisit your matchmaking rules and weight ship GP to account for the very low number of ship battles (and possible banners) that will take place in GA. Also please exclude ship GP if ships cannot be used.