Defense stat.

Why is there no defense stat listed under each character’s stat screen? There are Mods that increase defense. There are special abilities for some characters that effect their defense. But what is the starting point for defenses? Is it different for each character? There is a defense penetration stat. But no actual defense stat? I don’t get it. Maybe someone can help?

Replies

• Options
    Defense is the armor and resistance stats.
  • Options

Are you sure? Because both armor and resistance stats are listed as percentages. Some mods list defense in percentage, But other mods list defense as a number. Like +68 defense.
    This leads one to believe that defense should be a number like damage is for offense.
    Also I have a plus 20% defense mod on a character and when I remove it those two stats Lower by 3% each. So what am I plus 20%?
  • FailingCrab
    1155 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    KLCS21 wrote: »

Are you sure? Because both armor and resistance stats are listed as percentages. Some mods list defense in percentage, But other mods list defense as a number. Like +68 defense.
    This leads one to believe that defense should be a number like damage is for offense.
    Also I have a plus 20% defense mod on a character and when I remove it those two stats Lower by 3% each. So what am I plus 20%?

Mods can have quite a few stats as a flat number or a percentage, eg offence, health, protection, defence.

The stat can have a numerical value which is displayed as a percentage on the character screen.

Defence and offence don't have simple values in the character screen because they're split into physical offence/defence (armor) and special offence/defence (resistance). If you increase a character's defence you will see both armor and resistance increase.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • Options
    KLCS21 wrote: »

Are you sure?
    Yes.

If you look at gear as you equip it, when it mentions Resistance or Armor at all, it lists it as a specific integer. An item will give +9 armor (just as a random number). That cumulative integer value (based on items, mods, and Strength or Tactics) is then expressed as a percentage based on...….. Something. Probably level maybe? Unfortunately we don't know what that is. What we DO know, from before the Armor/Resistance expression was changed to a percentage, is that small integer increases can result in disproportionately high percentage increases (Usual armor for attackers were something like 40 or 50, and for tanks maybe 70--I think the highest was 100, so adding +5 armor to 40 means a big increase).

Percentage increases will increase that cumulative integer (which, again, we don't know) by that percentage.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    Search the forum for defense calculator. You can see the actual maths if you want.
  • Options
    Thank you guys. This helped. @NicWester I guess what I was asking originally was, what is the unknown number and why isn’t it displayed under stats? But I do understand the mechanics a little better now. So thank you for that.
  • Options
    The unknown number isn't displayed because, honestly, it was kind of useless, lol!

Seeing "Armor: 28" doesn't actually tell you anything other than your character having 28 armor. It doesn't tell you if that's good or bad. But seeing "Armor: 32%" tells you that all physical damage is reduced by 32%.

That said, I agree with you that it'd be nice to see both. It would only be two more lines in a page that a lot of folks don't really look at anyway, so I don't think it's too much to ask.
  • TVF
    36597 posts Member
    Options
    Has anyone done the math to determine which toons would benefit more from defense sets over health sets?
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    TVF wrote: »
    Has anyone done the math to determine which toons would benefit more from defense sets over health sets?

Someone did a long time ago, but I can never figure out how the search function works.... I think it was like 50%, but can't remember. And that was before the set bonuses got reworked, so it's lower now.

I think there's a softcap and diminishing returns, because a bunch of mod sets with defense primaries on 5s won't go as high as you'd think.