GA match making

ve00e4w2m9a8.png

I don’t cheat, I don’t hack, I don’t have $1,000 for Revan, I don’t have a guild that can earn Traya (yet), I don’t have a chance in GA, I can’t enjoy GA.

Please fix GA match making. Because I am a high GP, low spending, long time player I am punished by being matched against 6 people who have Traya, Revan or both. I mind as well sign up, not participate and take my 8th place rewards and moan silently that I cannot work on my quests because TW was canceled for an event only the privileged can compete in.

FYI, Took him 17 teams to clear my defenses (10 teams), until I got to Revan I was flawless at 1 per. Just the one invincible toon beats my entire roster.

Replies

• Something really offwith how GP is calculated. The guy who stomped me has 28 zetas compared to my 9.

I thought, well, that’s odd. Took a look at his ships and they’re completely undeveloped. If anything, ships, if they’re not being used, shouldn’t be in the GP score. Made it completely lopsided.

Where are the Stun Guns?
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Hey both Revan and Traya have good options to beat them. Especially Traya has a low budget option with Thrawn/magma trooper (well you have to save your thrawn). Revan can be beaten Rebels.

It's understandable you don't have Revan, but why not Traya assuming you are as high GP as you say.

Btw I don't agree with the toon differentiating idea in matchmaking while I have serious qualms with it. Anyone who has a toon has either earned it or bought it where in both cases they are subject to it. Those toons level of power is immaterial to matchmaking.
  • I am in the same boat, you are not alone. I have 3.9M GP, but only 21 G12 characters. My squads is very deep, but not top heavy. The only time I win is when my opponent doesn’t participate. Otherwise, I get obliterated since I face people with 40-50+ G12s.

The only two characters that I don’t have are Traya and Revan. That doesn’t help, either. A few more simple criteria with matchmaking could easily fix this.
  • While I agree that GP calculations in GA can be wonky in some tiers up at 3.7-3.8M GP people are pretty similar in my experience.

The problem is that Revan and to a lesser extent, Traya, are so lopsidedly powerful that one good Revan team can outmatch everything an opponent without Revan has. 6 out of 7 of my potential opponents can drop one team that, with some RNG help for Traya, can end my entire GA campaign.
  • A specific team that can sometimes beat Revan is not a good option. And that team was the first I ran and it did not get lucky enough to win.
  • Ultra
    11491 posts Moderator
    I don't think GA match making is an issue here at all but beating Revan in 3v3 with GMY and Jolee is almost impossible, yeah

I don't even know if its possible to beat it unless you use your own Revan or a super fast Thrawn, fracture then kill Revan or GMY and then timing out before Jolee can take a turn and revive
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Oceley wrote: »
    A specific team that can sometimes beat Revan is not a good option. And that team was the first I ran and it did not get lucky enough to win.

It's better than no option. You can scream out your lungs at CG, I just don't see toon differentiating matchmaking will ever happen. That would be like admitting "hey we release op toons for youmz to buy, mmmkay?". That was always the case, just the names changed. Those who had them reaped the rewards all across the game.

I fully agree with jstehly's comment though. GP calculation itself needs to be revised to bring it in line with the actual impact of these resources.
  • Kokie
    1338 posts Member
    Ultra wrote: »
    I don't think GA match making is an issue here at all but beating Revan in 3v3 with GMY and Jolee is almost impossible, yeah

I don't even know if its possible to beat it unless you use your own Revan or a super fast Thrawn, fracture then kill Revan or GMY and then timing out before Jolee can take a turn and revive

Cls han and chewie actually work great against that team...just used it today to clear that exact team in GA. But yeah not a lot of options of u dont have your own revan or traya
  • Match-making doesn't seem good.

So far - I've only ever come up against teams that absolutely wipe the floor with me and I have no chance of beating, or I come up against teams that I absolutely wipe the floor with and have no chance of losing against...

• newbornFL
    483 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Why should players that actually invested in legendary characters and tried to follow the meta get punished because you couldn't do the same?

They've said it from the start GA is for the BEST only,don't get pretenses to win if you inflate your gp and miss out legendary events
  • komji15
    534 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Think a side from your opposite.
    Having Revan/Traya?
    People who has Revan/Traya invest a lot of time, resources...(maybe $$)
    They might want differences.
    They deserve it.

There is no free Revan.
    There is also no free Traya.

I don’t have Revan/Traya too.
    If I am matched with someone who has them, maybe I’ll try to defeat them but...
    I accept the lose.

They do not cheat at all.
    EA cannot help giving benefits to P2P.
  • SCOED
    51 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    My issue isn't with a specific toon but with ship GP being used to calculate matches in an event that don't include ships.

I like ships so I developed them. I have had better developed ships than any of the 8 in my pod. Half my GP is in my fleets.

I have around 1,200,000 squad GP. My opponents have had between 1,350,000 to 1,450,000 GP in there squads. How can I win when my opponent have an effective GP 10% or more higher than mine? Yes, I have won a few because I showed up and my opponent didn't. But if my opponent shows I am dead. They have more gear 12 toons and/or Zetas then me every time.

Total GP difference is small, but the effective GP gap is huge as a much larger percentage of my is tied up in my fleet which is totally irrelevant In all but one GA so far.

Loosing because I love ships and my opponent ignored that part of the game, isn't fun. Loosing a fair fight because my opponent chose to develop/farm different toons is to be expected in a resource management game.

GA matching needs to be based on relevant power. not total GP. If Ships are not used they should not be calculated in when matching pods if you can't even use a single ship in the event.

I don't have Traya, I don't have Revan, but if my opponent who has a similar relevant GP does, they deserve the win. But being punished for developing my fleet to play the whole game should not be a thing. That is what or feels like, I am being punished for caring about my fleet. It makes the whole event unfun.
    Post edited by SCOED on
  • First off I'm not defending match making as it definitely has some glaring flaws, although it's still new so we should definitely give it time, but with that being said I think some of you just need to spend more time both fleshing out your rosters and working on strategy which will change with every new opponent.

In case some of you were unaware you can view your opponents roster beforehand, this will allow you to create not only defensive possibilities but also offensive. There are plenty of squads that can take down Revan and Traya, and while I agree they are extremely OP characters Traya has been out long enough for a large majority to have her and Revan will be ALL OVER after his next event so I would suggest focusing on beating him.

As for the ships gp being included in a GA without ships I agree 100% there. My current opponent neglected ships and that gave him a 500k roster advantage on me, and at 1.5million gp, 950k of that being my roster 500k is a huge advantage. Thankfully I took the time to study is roster and managed to win.
  • John_Matrix1985
    2276 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    People with 3.7 and 3.9M GP can find hundreds of guilds that will carry them along even if they did 0 dmg in sith raids.

If they want to stay they should be pushing the lower players to get the good raid teams
  • @SCOED has nailed it above.

The complaint that ship GP has been included in the calculation for a GA that exclusively uses characters is valid. People with equivalent total GP but imbalanced character GP are unfairly at a disadvantage. They’ve decided to allocate resources in a particular way that can have no influence on the GA.

The complaint we see a lot of, with people evenly matched on character GP saying “it’s unfair as he’s got way more g12 than me” and / or “he’s got way more zetas than me” and / or “he’s got these toons and I don’t”, is not valid for me.

It’s a resource management game. People need to be testing their roster against others who have developed it to an equivalent overall state. Looking for matchmaking against someone who has exactly the same toons, same number of zetas, same gear levels, same mods would render all the decisions you’d made in allocating your resources irrelevant.
  • The matchmaking is a complex part of the GA (but also for the TW). There can be different types of rules but every rule will make someone unhappy because with a same GP there can be a very huge difference in the "quality" of the roster due to what a player want to achieve from the game.
    I think that the GP can be a good rule if it is coupled to a system of "thresholds" (I don't know the exact name in english) like in others game.
    For example, let say that a player who reached 1-4 rank in the next GA he will go against other players that reached the 1-4 ranks. Due to the fact that he will fight agaist more "heavy" players, the rewards also of the 5-8 will be better (maybe a +1 zeta to every ranks for example).
    In this way players that focused on other aspects of the game, after some GA will encounter each others while players that focused more on PvP will find players like them and in the middle there will be players good but not so good or weak but not so weak.
    The players at the top will change continually due to the fact that everyone will grow in different way in GP so there isn't the problem to find the same players in the GA and in this way, there is the way to put the best players against each others and in the same time also players with others objectives can make epic battles because they'll find others players with the same roster quality.
  • Hopefully ships being/not being included in total GP when calculating matchmaking is something that will be adjusted with time. I can’t imagine it was a councious choice, more likely just an oversight that will be fixed at some point.

I agree that fighting someone with a maxed revan/jolee/gmy is extremely frustrating when you don’t have him. You can do better in every single fight and still get stuck on that wall and lose the entire battle because of it. This is probably something we have to live with though, it’s part of the incitement that makes ppl spend on the latest meta characters.