Who to Gear First - Sion/Thrawn

So the conventional wisdom of focus on your arena team goes out the door a little because I use Thrown in Arena now, but Sion is meant to be plugged in when ready (currently 4*, about halfway to 5*, G10). Thrawn is 6* at G10. They need a lot of the same pieces. Do I keep on with Thrawn and save Sion for a later date? I feel like maybe yes, but have seen other threads where people are like, 'just zeta Sion and use him now.'

I don't know how often the updates, cause it shows Sion at G9, but he's 10. Still a ways down the power chart though.
https://swgoh.gg/p/413765196/characters/

Replies

• HK666
    1263 posts Member
    Options
    Drop TFP for Sion

Throw on Sion's zeta if ya can
  • Options
    I have one zeta saved, will have a second ready this weekend. Been holding out to make sure I'm ready for CLS because I may give R2 the NC zeta. But, I guess I can just do both at this point. TFP does some good one-shot damage and can ability block, plus the foresight. I feel like that's a lot to give up. I still have Sion's basic at like Level 5, so it's more purple mats there. Is it really time to put him in for TFP on the zeta? I feel like Tarkin's the weakest of the bunch, but suppose his special helps with TM under Palp. I guess part of the fear is also not having a lot of experience running Sion, so being unsure of how best to use him (I don't understand offensive strategy with him and how he best fits in that team, though can maybe find other threads on that).
  • Options
    HK666 wrote: »
    Drop TFP for Sion

Throw on Sion's zeta if ya can

I added some thoughts in a full response, but this doesn't answer the question of where to focus gear, still.
  • HK666
    1263 posts Member
    Options
    Fair points.

On who to gear- I'd throw both of them on your arena, and see who is dying before doing there job (or just, not hitting hard enough). Who ever isn't doing their job needs gear (I want to say gear Sion, but you should probably test it for yourself)

TFP is a decent option of a Palp team because of his speed, unique and the debuffs he can apply. But he's squishy and while his damage isn't bad, it's not arena worthy. Sion will serve you better, especially with a zeta.

With Sion, you use his aoe to clear buffs and taunt. Then use his other special to regen protection on someone with pain (ideally, whoever your first kill while be) or use his basic for a cleanse (you mentioned his abilities aren't maxed yet, but it shouldn't be a problem for long). Pop Held by Hatred as soon as possible.

Sion is more disruptive to the enemy team (unless you need that buff immunity) and tougher and taunts. Once you get DN, dn will receive bonuses when your enemy applies debuffs to Sion

I'd keep Tarkin over TFP. More debuffs and tmr. Palp and Tarkin lessen incoming damage.

Also, you might wanna consider Palps lead zeta...
  • Options
    Palp has the lead zeta. I linked my profile. I haven't given him the unique though.
  • Options
    Also, as far as my TFP, he has a lot of protection and solid health between G11 and mods, and foresight almost constantly being applied means less squishy. He also one taps at 20k of damage.
  • Options
    Since Thrawn is already G11...proceed with Sion until G11...zeta him.
    G12 thrawn, farm Sion to 7* then G12 him.
    Drop TFP for Sion once Sion is G11.

When facing difficult EP lead in Arena, switch to Thrawn lead on offense.
    Thrawn lead is however not very good on defense so you might want to switch after.
  • Options
    I
    Since Thrawn is already G11...proceed with Sion until G11...zeta him.

My Thrawn is G10. I popped Sion in for TFP, already, based on previous advice, and have broken in to the top 500 for the first time. It sounds like you're saying Thrawn gets gear first though? As originally stated, the question arises as they share a lot of the same G10 pieces, so I have to choose to prioritize one over the other.
  • Options
    Ur when ready idea is flawed I had mine in a 3* g8 it allowed me to climb better also threw thrawn in g8 7* where i unlocked for same reason. Power lvl doesn’t prevent drops if that is what u r Afraid of beating people does.
  • Jbnf
    120 posts Member
    Options
    I'd say gear up Sion. Sion is your tank and needs to survive longer in order to protect Thrawn. Also, and you probably know this, I'd put a lot of focus on your mods. Your Sion is only at +39 Speed, and even Thrawn only has +78. Getting them good sets with secondaries of like +10 or better at least will improve you a lot as well, because Sion needs to cycle through his turns more to inflict more Pain and get Hatred up faster. That becomes a huge win condition because it heals him, amps up his damage, and revives him if he goes down.
  • Options
    Sion is better, Thrawn has his place but in a Sith team sion with that zeta. Monster.
  • Options
    Sion is better, Thrawn has his place but in a Sith team sion with that zeta. Monster.

Well, it's Empire/Sith.
  • Options
    @Jbnf I hear ya, I mean Thrawn is my fastest toon. I guess I've been working more on slicing than farming new mods (and Thrawn had actually gained a ton of speed this way), but just haven't seemed to had the same luck some of the arena juggernauts have. Or maybe I'm just more jaded about mod farming. I guess I'm getting to that stage where my mods are going to start making more of the difference. Still have Nihilus to gear up, but it's going to come down to the extra star and a mod one of these days. The odds on getting speed primary or secondaries and then leveling them with the mod is SO LOW though.
  • Options
    Actually, **** all that. I couldn't get rid of opposing TFP due to foresight, and he took my Sion out in a few taps. I also dropped 500 places overnight with Sion in. Back to TFP. I should have waited as originally planned.
  • enltguy
    58 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    P.S. Put TFP back, he was the only one with fill health and protection at the end of the battle. Stomped the opponent. Sion hits like a girl and doesn't end up doing much but slowing me down.
  • TVF
    36599 posts Member
    Options
    enltguy wrote: »
    P.S. Put TFP back, he was the only one with fill health and protection at the end of the battle. Stomped the opponent. Sion hits like a girl and doesn't end up doing much but slowing me down.

Someday you will look back on this post and wonder what you were thinking.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    Everyone tells me Thrawn is the best toon in game. No one really tells me why though.