Chewie event is not fun

Prev1
This event is a failure because it is not fun.

If you want to have an event where only g12 toons are allowed? Okay.

Do you want to specify in advance which 7-star, g12 toons are allowed? Okay.

Do you want to have an event where you not only meet all the requirements, but there really isn't any room for your characters to exceed the requirements because the requirements are so high and then cause those characters to be stun-locked/wiped out in the first volley from opponents with pre-loaded TM so that you have to restart the event literally over a hundred times to win with 5 x 7-star, g12 toons?

Not okay.

The cave. Remember your failure with the cave?

No, wait, that was the Sith Triumvirate Raid - remember your failure with the STR? You had to revise the raid because the winning strategy wasn't getting good toons and using them well. The winning strategy - even for players with great toons - was to restart the stage 50+ times.

Remember how you specifically revised the STR because restarting over and over isn't any fun?

Yeah. How about you actually learn a generalized lesson - rather than changing one event, learn that creating tasks that require repeated restarts is a way to kill fun rather than provide fun.

If g14 was out, it would be my fault for using g12 bounty hunters. My BH can't get much better, though I admit that none of them actually have 5 g12 pieces (they all have 1-4). I shot them through the roof to be ready for this event and I'm much better than others who got 7-star chewy the first time.

G14 isn't available. G12 isn't good enough without repeated restarts.

Repeated restarts are not fun.

In fact, I should say, repeated restarts are not fun.

The fun is not in having something repeated over and over and over and over.

The repetition just isn't fun.

Get it?

Moreover, having my success depend on RNG isn't fun. That's not testing my determination to see if I'm willing to put int he effort to boost up my BH squad. That's not testing my strategies. That's testing my luck. Some people are going to get it in 5-10 tries. A few lucky ducks are going to get it in one. Some people with great squads are going to have bad luck and repeat this thing a hundred times without getting through.

I'm supposed to be proud of my accomplishment in flipping a coin and getting 12 tails in a row? What is having RNG be the determining factor supposed to prove?

This event is a bad event.

Replies

• Options
    Totally agree.
    Boba Fett, Cad Bane, Zam, 88 and Greedo all with some gear XII and I've never come close to 2 kills. All my toons get knocked out during the Rebels 2nd attack. Placed many arena mods that did help a bit but not enough to make a difference.
    I predict that I've tried nearly 200 times since yesterday, most of them I escaped or put on auto after loosing a toon or two after the first attack. But to wait for the right rng isn't working and I've lost interest.
  • Options
    I totally agree with what you're saying regarding the fact that having to constantly restart something over and over simply isn't fun. However, this event is totally doable. I did it the first time around with Boba/Bane/Greedo/88/Dengar, 2 at gear 12 and the rest at gear 11.

Simply stating that you should be able to complete the event with 5 random BH at 7* and nothing else isn't true. It involves some strategy and specific characters. You had 3 months since the last event to read/watch guides on who to farm and how to tackle this event. If you don't have Dengar for example R2 smoke screens the whole team and you're forced to focus on him. Having Dengar means that you can focus on Chewie right away which makes the event easier once he's taken out.

At the end of the day it is a Legendary character and therefore should be hard to obtain.
  • MasterSeedy
    5037 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    @Gama_Fox
    However, this event is totally doable.

I didn't say it wasn't doable.
    I did it the first time around

Yes, but did you do it the first try?
    Simply stating that you should be able to complete the event with 5 random BH at 7* and nothing else isn't true.

Well then it's a good thing I didn't state that. Did you read what I wrote?
    You had 3 months since the last event to ... (blah, blah, blah)

This isn't about me. Over and over and over players are saying that they restarted the event many times in order to get RNG just right. This is coming from players that have their Chewie. If I was the only player that was relying on RNG you just might have a point. However, that's very far from the case. Do you know anything about other players' experience? Why are you talking about me as if I'm the only one saying that restarting to get the right RNG is necessary.
    read/watch guides on who to farm and how to tackle this event

And what do the guides say? They say that you'll have to restart to get the right RNG. That's what the GUIDES say. Have you actually read and/or watched them? If the guides say you need to get the right RNG, then the event is a bad event. This isn't about me, and even if it was about me, it wouldn't be about my farming, etc. I've done the right things and I'm confident based on others' experiences that I'll get that last star.

This is about a bad event, structured badly. The guides don't support your point. They support mine: RNG is a necessary and expected part of the strategy. That's bad game design because it's just not fun. If RNG is a necessary and expected part of the strategy, then even people with great toons are going to have very different experiences of the event. What justifies someone having exactly the right toons, all at g12, and having to restart 100 times? Sure that's not going to be that common, but RNG is RNG and with thousands of players with great toons trying for Chewie's 7th star, some players are going to have 1-in-1000 bad luck. That's the math.

What's the justification for making the experience bad for those players who put in the work? You've got none.
    At the end of the day it is a Legendary character and therefore should be hard to obtain.

I don't disagree. Make the strategy tricky. Make it a 5 x g12 requirement. Do what you want to make it hard - I even said that in my OP. Did you actually read it? I don't mind hard. But there's no strategy that can allow you to go first against pre-loaded TM, and there's no strategy that can make the rebels target the toons you want them to target, or to make your toons immune to stun or ability block. You start the event and you watch, and most of the time you get hosed.

So you start again. Which is exactly what the guides say to do. It's not like the opposing toons have deadly negative status effects, but low health so you can skip the CC/CD mods and go all out tenacity FTW. It's not like they have great tenacity but get ruined if you land a status effect on them so you can go all out potency FTW. They're good at everything and they're immune to quite a lot.

So you start over. And over. And over.

Sure, I'll get it eventually. That doesn't make the Chewie event fun. The Chewie event is a bad event with bad game design. They have built RNG into the challenge of the event, and that was a terrible choice.
  • TVF
    36599 posts Member
    Options
    It's fun when you finally beat it.

And it's phenomenal using a 7* Chewie in arena and raids.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    @TVF
    It's fun when you finally beat it.

I'm sure it leaves you happy you're done. That's not the same thing.
    it's phenomenal using a 7* Chewie in arena and raids.

And here I'm sure you're right, which is the only reason I haven't ditched the event and satisfied myself with a 6* Chewie.

I'm sure I'll get it. I've only tried 12-15 times, and although lots of people get it done without Dengar, if it turns out that I can't I've got Dengar at 78/100 right now and he'll be g11 in 4-6 days, depending on how many Carbantis show up in shipments.

I'm not worried about not having him, I'm just giving EA/CG feedback which they obviously really need to hear since even after they had to redesign HSTR for fewer restarts they still made the Chewie event dependent on restarts.

They're designing RNG into the challenge of the event, expecting players to be okay with having great toons and still having to restart over and over. That's a bad design choice. Lots of players are complaining in their guilds - including my guilds, including every single player that actually has a 7* Chewie.

I'm just providing my feedback in a place where the devs can actually see it.
  • TVF
    36599 posts Member
    Options
    I remember the Thrawn event not being fun. It's not really the point of these events. The point is the reward.
  • Options
    TVF wrote: »
    I remember the Thrawn event not being fun. It's not really the point of these events. The point is the reward.

The fun is in seeing the cut scenes with familiar characters and environments as well as figuring out how to beat the event with your characters (since no two attempts will ever be exactly the same). But mostly in the rewards.

To the OP, I'm not sure what you want from a mobile game based on random numbers. There will always be some element of chance and the only way to make things more difficult is to make it harder to reduce the amount of chance by doing things like, as you suggested, out leveling the event. They want this event to be hard. They want it to stay hard for a while. If it required G10 characters then everyone would have geared Bossk, Boba, Dengar, and two others to G11 and walked through it this time.

Yeah, it's frustrating. I just don't see an obvious alternative and you haven't proposed any.
  • Options
    @jhbuchholz
    I just don't see an obvious alternative and you haven't proposed any

I didn't flesh any out, but that doesn't mean that I didn't propose any. I talked about requiring "tricky strategy" and setting 5 x g12 as an entrance requirement or restricting it to 5 specific toons, no possibility of variation (or both). There are lots of ways to make the strategy very difficult without depending on RNG.

Moreover, I certainly implied some other strategies here:
    It's not like the opposing toons have deadly negative status effects, but low health so you can skip the CC/CD mods and go all out tenacity FTW. It's not like they have great tenacity but get ruined if you land a status effect on them so you can go all out potency FTW.

Even whining (which I don't think I did) is useful to EA/CG and should be legitimate. If they didn't want to hear when players were disatisfied with the game, they wouldn't have a forum.

But it's actually quite easy to extrapolate what I've suggested into an event that can be quite hard, but still allow only a limited role for RNG.

Take Lando for example. We all know that when his AoE gets going it's deadly. For the event, set his Crit Chance low, but give him the special quality that all offensive status effects have double or triple effect. When he gets Crit Chnce Up from Han, you need to prioritize dispelling him with Greedo or Boba or someone, but you could also try to land a CritChanceDown or an Accuracy Down, since all offensive status effects, not just positive ones, have that double/triple effect. He can't keep his AoE train going if he can't hit. You can give Lando low tenacity if you like, but you don't 'have to. If you don't, then you really need Potency on Cad Bane or whoever inflicts Crit Chance Down.

In that situation, it's not just about kill order. It's about team composition, where your dispel comes in your speed order, and other things. Lando might not be your first kill if you can control his Crit Chance or Accuracy, but he might need to be your first kill if you can't.

Similar arguments can apply to other toons. I've never been a game designer except to the extent that anyone who game masters an RPG is a game designer b/c of the need to customize modules and enemies (and create your own!) to provide the right challenge to your party. So I have lots of ideas about how you minimize RNG when creating a challenge, but I didn't think it was my role to assume that as an amateur I should be arrogant and tell the professional game designers at EA/CG how to fix it.

But it IS fixable. The beautiful thing about the Lando example is that this has nothing to do with how other characters are handled. You could give Chewie very high defense, but attackers gain +100% Crit Damage. Modding for crit chance, not crit damage, would be the best idea for the characters you want to take out Chewie.

You can give Leia +50,000% defense or whatever when ever any opponent starts a turn, locked until she's hit or that opponent's turn ends. Now you can only do damage to her with assists, multiple-attacks & counter-attacks. This makes you want to take different character choices than Lando's - mostly. If both of these choices were made, then Cad Bane would be a great attacker against both Lando and Leia, and you'd have to choose, tactically, which to attack even if they weren't stealthed. Keep up the Accuracy Down, or try to bust through Leia's protection to take out a squishy character?

Just with those three you've got details that require you to engage your brain, not flip coins. And the event can still require 5 x g12 and can still be wicked hard. With this sort of thing, it's not even that you have to have the right characters, but you want some characters attacking some enemies and other characters attacking different enemies. Even if your team comp is right targeting the wrong toon could easily mean a g13/g14 squad would fail.

You say you don't understand how not to make it RNG dependent. Well, it's always going to have a certain amount of RNG involved. Even if the dodge rate is 2% it's still possible for an opposing toon to dodge 5 times in a row. But the point isn't to remove RNG, it's to remove endless, pointless restarts.

Because here's the deal: If you're going to create an event as ridiculously RNG dependent as this one, you can still make it easy on your player by simply not playing the graphics for the first volley of attacks. The engine decides who attacks, how, what the attack results are, then starts the event with all damage done and status effects in place. Then it could give you a button, "Reroll?" Click it, and 2 seconds later you get the results of the next RNG.

If you're going to require people to restart, why make them watch the video over and over again and make something the phone could calculate in 2 seconds play out over 2 minutes?

I don't care if the designers don't use my specific ideas about how to make Lando a challenge that requires strategy more than RNG to defeat.

I care that we're starting the event over and over just like we were starting HSTR over and over and EA/CG still hasn't figured out that making things dependent on RNG is neither fun nor appropriate. They were forced to change the game once because they failed to anticipate just how much it s **** s to have great characters and still have to numbly push buttons waiting for good RNG.

When will they learn to simply not design for RNG, but design for interesting, complex strategies that might require g12 toons to implement but don't require outrageous luck to succeed?
  • Options
    You say you don't understand how not to make it RNG dependent.

Not what I said. I understand pretty well what could be done. None seem like an obvious alternative in the context of this game.

Your suggestions are all fine and good (focusing on the gameplay and strategy for now, not the cinematics) if you want fewer events like these. It'll take more time to come up with ideas, code the new mechanics, and test them. You seem to be suggesting mini raids. There is a reason we only have three raids. Maybe I'm misreading it but adding mechanics/ complexity does not seem like an obvious alternative. Especially for events that are generally not replayable in the first year or so of their existence.

Guess that's where we differ. I'm ok with the way Legendary events are since I don't have to play them once a week to collect 10 shards at a time. If I did I'd be more inclined to agree. I had fun watching the cut scenes (the first time), playing with a faction I hadn't used much, experienced some frustration, then enjoyed victory. I'm happy because I have Chewbacca and I'm on to the next challenge.

As for skipping the cut scenes, I'm all for that.
  • Options
    @jhbuchholz
    Not what I said. I understand pretty well what could be done.

I must have read too much into this statement of yours:
    I just don't see an obvious alternative

(in the context of an RNG-dependent level of difficulty).

Apologies for over-interpreting.
    You seem to be suggesting mini raids

Hadn't thought about that. Maybe I am, though it wasn't on purpose.
    Maybe I'm misreading it but adding mechanics/ complexity does not seem like an obvious alternative. Especially for events that are generally not replayable in the first year or so of their existence.

So you're saying this is too much work for a one-off event? Possibly. I know that when creating opponents for these events they do recode these characters - customize them, if you prefer that term - rather than just using an exact copy of the toon that regular players use. I guess I'm assuming that incorporating ideas like mine, while requiring customization, doesn't require more work than customizing the opponents in the way that they already do. Maybe I'm wrong. My experience in programming is very limited, and none of it had to do with games.

If it is a lot harder for them and they're not taking in enough money, then maybe they are stuck with this way of making things hard. However, they should still hear the feedback that players think it's no fun. Also, I think that they're doing just fine in the money department, and keeping your players happy is how you keep the money flowing in, so... And, of course, there's the fact that they're going to have to know what players like: that's how they'll determine priorities for spending their money.
    Guess that's where we differ. I'm ok with the way Legendary events are since I don't have to play them once a week to collect 10 shards at a time. If I did I'd be more inclined to agree.

Fair enough.

FTR, I had a beast of a time getting 7-star Thrawn, but that's because I asked folks what the minimum gear level was for Phoenix to get him. I knew I was setting myself up for headaches and restarts, but I didn't want to gear Phoenix at the time. For that reason, I never complained.

I feel this is different because there simply isn't anywhere to go from 5 x g12. That means that they weren't allowing folks the option of devoting a lot of gear so that they wouldn't have the headaches. They were guaranteeing headaches. These are your players and your fans. It's one thing if they choose to give themselves headaches (like I did with Thrawn so I could spend Stun Guns elsewhere). It's another thing if you plan on purpose to give your players and fans a scenario where headaches are unavoidable.

But, as you said, that's where we differ.

Good luck out there, and always kill the Empire first.
  • TVF
    36599 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Sorry I skipped over a lot of text, but did you just claim you need G12+5 to beat the event without a ton of headache?
  • Options
    No, I claimed that even with 5 toons of g12 you're not free of the RNG headaches.

That's the experience of my guildmates and so far it's my experience as well.
  • Options
    I have 6 BH @ G12, 3 with Zetas, and I get Whooped before my 2nd Attack! I’ve tried at least a 100 times, and it appears I Won’t be able to complete this event. With characters as strong as mine, I Shouldn’t have This hard of a time.
    Someone said we should recommend a fix: how about lowering their speed so they don’t attack 3-4 times to my 1?
    This event is NOT Fun, & I’ve lost interest.
    I’ll still try throughout the remaining days, but I’m NOT going to put in 100 attempts a day!
  • Options
    jhbuchholz wrote: »

The fun is in seeing the cut scenes with familiar characters and environments as well as figuring out how to beat the event with your characters (since no two attempts will ever be exactly the same). But mostly in the rewards.

To the OP, I'm not sure what you want from a mobile game based on random numbers. There will always be some element of chance and the only way to make things more difficult is to make it harder to reduce the amount of chance by doing things like, as you suggested, out leveling the event. They want this event to be hard. They want it to stay hard for a while. If it required G10 characters then everyone would have geared Bossk, Boba, Dengar, and two others to G11 and walked through it this time.

Yeah, it's frustrating. I just don't see an obvious alternative and you haven't proposed any.

Those scenes are cool the first 10 times you watch them. When you’re getting laughably trounced, waiting for good RNG for the 100th time (yes I’m EASILY in my 100+ try) they start to get really annoying. Even just the little quote cut scene they do.

I couldn’t agree more with the OP of this thread. The 3PO event was fun. Took strategy. The thrawn event was fun, it took strategy. The palpatine, yoda, and CLS events were all fun. Hard as heck, but fun....and why was that; say it with me, S-T-R-A-T-E-G-Y! This event is literally pay to get bossk, or rely on an absolute perfect run. And I’m just on tier 6. All bounty hunters are gear 11. Boba is 3 pieces into G12 with a zeta, and I’ve done this event ONE HUNDRED times. That is simply f*#%+%# stupid. I’m just torturing myself out of spite for CG right now. I can’t even imagine what tier 7 is like. Oh wait, I watched the guides. And it seems to me they’ve made it even harder this go around. R2 won’t even waste his turn with smokescreen if dengar is stealthed like Arnaldt was showing.
  • Options
    Gama_Fox wrote: »
    I totally agree with what you're saying regarding the fact that having to constantly restart something over and over simply isn't fun. However, this event is totally doable. I did it the first time around with Boba/Bane/Greedo/88/Dengar, 2 at gear 12 and the rest at gear 11.

Simply stating that you should be able to complete the event with 5 random BH at 7* and nothing else isn't true. It involves some strategy and specific characters. You had 3 months since the last event to read/watch guides on who to farm and how to tackle this event. If you don't have Dengar for example R2 smoke screens the whole team and you're forced to focus on him. Having Dengar means that you can focus on Chewie right away which makes the event easier once he's taken out.

You should really read what you're commenting on, you've made yourself look stupid.
  • Options
    I’m re-commenting now; All 6 of my 7*, G12 BHs are above 200 speed, 3 closer to 250, the 3 w/ Zetas, and I’m STILL getting Demolished!! The FEW in my guild who have gotten him 7* ALL admit my Team is WAY stronger than theirs! And yet after 200+ attempts I’m STILL getting Demolished!! This is NOT Fun! With a Team as Strong as mine, I SHOULD be able to use Some kind of Strategy, NOT just restarting it!!
  • Options
    No, this event is broken. I have Bossk, gear 12 and double Zeta. Boba gear 12 with Zeta, Zam and Aurra gear 11 with zeta, and Dengar and Greedo with gear 11. Have tried different leads and different mods; doesn't matter about strategies or kill order because by time I get to go I barely have anyone left. No this event is broken and all it is, is hitting a perfect RNG. It not fun or rewarding or challenging, it is just frustrating. The kicker is, its not even close, just getting curb stomped again and again. Yea, really hope they fix this.
  • Options
    Really starting to think that the rebel team is scaled to your BH team, i.e the stronger the team the stronger opponent, but in this case think they went way to far.
  • Options
    Completely agree w/ this. The chewie event is terrible. I feel no sense of accomplishment winning this event 2x now. I simply feel like I didn't get the shaft on my (insert some outrageous number of restarts here) attempt.

The fact that this is the best they can come up w/ to make an event challenging means they a) don't care to put in the time to try b) do not have an ounce of creativity between them.

This event was an annoyance. I am not amused, entertained, or given then feeling that I had fun by things that annoy me.

Game = fun
    Annoyance = not fun

Try harder CG
  • TVF
    36599 posts Member
    Options
    moose2049 wrote: »
    Really starting to think that the rebel team is scaled to your BH team, i.e the stronger the team the stronger opponent, but in this case think they went way to far.

It's not though.
  • Options
    In fact is technically insane
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    The problem with “tricky strategy” is that it isn’t actually a gate. It just requires one person to figure it out and post a video that everyone else can just watch and copy.
  • Options
    moose2049 wrote: »

It's not though.

Yea, every video I have watched and everyone in my guild that got 7* chewie, got it with lower tier (ie no zeta, gear 8-10) While everyone else that has Zeta Bossk, gear 12 teams are getting wrecked. So I cannot prove it, but I have a suspicion that indeed the event is scaled to your team.
  • TVF
    36599 posts Member
    Options
    You think this is something CG cooked up because too many people got Chewie the first time?

I got him the first time with zBossk and G11/G12 BH (including terrible IG88). Many other people have too.
  • MasterSeedy
    5037 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    @Liath :
    The problem with “tricky strategy” is that it isn’t actually a gate. It just requires one person to figure it out and post a video that everyone else can just watch and copy.

Yeah, I'm aware of that problem. I often avoid the "how to" videos, and I know a lot of people don't watch them, but even if you don't watch them if you are in guild chat at all you're probably getting at least some of the advice. I've watched the vids on this event b/c it's so frustrating, but I usually prefer to figure it out myself.

My preferences aside, though, watching a video or going to guild chat isn't much of a gate, you're absolutely right.

I don't know the perfect solution, I just know that requiring lots of RNG restarts is a bad solution. I'm hoping that my perhaps-too-simplistic ideas can at least encourage EA/CG's professional designers to do the far-better-than-me job I know that they can do.

Maybe those ideas are part of the solution, though. Don't forget that they're still intended on being combined with a high gear & star requirement, so watching a video isn't enough if you don't have the toons or the toons don't have the gear.

I don't want it easy, I just don't want it to require battering down a wall with my forehead.
  • AJM
    3 posts Member
    Options
    Agree. It’s not fun. Been playing 40-100+ times each day and it’s so much more angering than any other Legendary Event. That doubles when I see people get 7* with my same strat and way worse teams. I don’t know what you’re trying to prove by formulating it this way. I spend money on fun games; this event feels like homework and makes me resent the companies involved.
  • Options
    You think this is something CG cooked up because too many people got Chewie the first time?

I got him the first time with zBossk and G11/G12 BH (including terrible IG88). Many other people have too.

"Many others have too"

So are you talking 200-300 people? Heck even 1000 people? Thats a VERY small number compare to how many actually play the game. In fact..

Over 10 million downloads, so lets round down to 10 million

So lets high ball this and say 10k people including you, unlocked Chewy. That means .01% of players had the got lucky enough to have the fortunate RNG to unlock that toon.

.01%

Go play the lottery. I think you may win something.

This event os too reliant on RNG and those with winning teams are being cheated because of a massive over reliance on RNG.

We dont mind the difficulty. If its a tough event its a tough event. But there needs to be a HARD benchmark. Like if you have 5 G11 BH you win no matter what.

We dont like the *massive overrelience of* RNG. We dont like people that arent as prepared as us getting lucky, our overprepared selves are on attempt 355 and still havent gotten it. Thats not right. Thats rewarding the unprepared and punishing those that worked hard.
  • TVF
    36599 posts Member
    Options
    That post had nothing to do with RNG, it was about the claim that CG tunes the difficulty to your specific roster, making it much harder if you have G11 and G12 toons versus lower geared toons. A ridiculous conspiracy theory that makes no sense for a host of reasons.

Please go read the conversation you quoted before you comment on it next time.

• Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    @Liath :

Yeah, I'm aware of that problem. I often avoid the "how to" videos, and I know a lot of people don't watch them, but even if you don't watch them if you are in guild chat at all you're probably getting at least some of the advice. I've watched the vids on this event b/c it's so frustrating, but I usually prefer to figure it out myself.

My preferences aside, though, watching a video or going to guild chat isn't much of a gate, you're absolutely right.

I don't know the perfect solution, I just know that requiring lots of RNG restarts is a bad solution. I'm hoping that my perhaps-too-simplistic ideas can at least encourage EA/CG's professional designers to do the far-better-than-me job I know that they can do.

Maybe those ideas are part of the solution, though. Don't forget that they're still intended on being combined with a high gear & star requirement, so watching a video isn't enough if you don't have the toons or the toons don't have the gear.

I don't want it easy, I just don't want it to require battering down a wall with my forehead.

I wasn’t sure if I was reading correctly that you were actually proposing that the event be hard gated by a certain gear level or set of specific characters within the faction. It sounds like you really are proposing that, neither of which was actually necessary to complete the event as it was.

I think that is a *terrible* idea. Yes, it’s quite frustrating to try some of these events with a non-ideal team composition or less than the suggested gear level but at least I have a chance if I want to give it a shot, and it’s my choice to deal with the frustration or not. I far, far prefer having the option to battle the RNG rather than being totally locked out of the event.
  • Options
    @Liath

I think what's fair to say is not that I was proposing a hard gate, but rather that
    if the game designers have in mind that a certain toon should be accessible to only certain players for game balance purposes, they should feel free to use the tools they want to use to make the event hard and to restrict rewards to those players - including, if they feel it necessary, requiring 5 x g12 or whatever. However, restricting to a limited number of players by making the event RNG dependent in the hope that only a certain number of people will be willing to do the RNG grind long enough to get the rewards is a bad design choice, and I would prefer any other design choice to that one.

It's not that I like a hard gate of 5 x g12 or specifying only 5 BH that you're allowed to use in the event. It's that pretty much anything they do to reach the game balance they feel they need to reach is going to be better than a hard gate of watching the stupid cut-scene 5000 times. If I get bored of your cut scene, then I don't deserve rewards? Seriously, I want game balance too, but you're gonna balance the game on who's willing to watch your cut scenes over and over? That seems like a lousy thing to base it on.

So, no, I don't like a hard gate, but I'm perfectly happy to have the event be hard to complete. Oh, and BTW, having pre-loaded TM for a bomb of an opening salvo effectively is a hard gear-gate: If you're not geared up enough to survive the opening salvo, you can't complete the event. So when I'm saying "require 5 x g12" - strictly as a hypothetical and as a concession to the fact that I don't know what their intended outcome is regarding how many Chewies should be in the game after the event - I left it vague on purpose because I'm not here giving the game designers orders. Although I wouldn't particularly like a hard gate of 5 x g12,

1. It wouldn't matter for me, because I have 5 x g12 BH
    and
    2. knowing what the requirements are is actually great for people.

Although I'd prefer something more like the "creative/tricky strategy" option, bringing up my willingness to tolerate a hard gate - which we already have in all the Hero's Journey events even if they're not gear gates, but rather toon/star gates - is done more to emphasize how much RNG is terrible, not how great a hard gear gate.

I'm simply maintaining that however much you do or don't like a hard gear gate, it's much better than the terrible, terrible RNG gate they're using now.

As I said before:
    I don't know the perfect solution, I just know that requiring lots of RNG restarts is a bad solution.

So I'm giving EA/CG feedback, as their website intended and invites. I'm sure that your feedback about hating hard gates is equally useful to them and I hope they're reading all of us.