GA Same Opponents?!?

It was said we should never face the same opponents and yes it was in the GA notes.

I have 5 people from previous GA’s in my bracket, several it took to get 1st last 5 vs 5 matchup.

What the heck is going on?!? I thought we were supposed to get new opponents!!!

Anyone else experiencing this too?

Replies

• That's crazy odds man.... That being said, they said you would never face the same player twice in one GA, not ever......
  • BubbaFett wrote: »
    That's crazy odds man.... That being said, they said you would never face the same player twice in one GA, not ever......

Apparently that isn’t true @CG_SBCrumb @CG_Carrie .
    That's crazy odds man.... That being said, they said you would never face the same player twice in one GA, not ever......

You missed what I was saying..... You will never face the same player twice in a single GA event.... They never said you would never face them again ever in a later GA event....
  • Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator
    edited December 2018
    You must be lucky because 3v3 reportedly **** so now you can have a proper 5v5 Grand Arena with the people from your previous bracket!

Jokes aside, I was under the impression we wouldn't be paired up with previous players either but guess not
    BubbaFett wrote: »

You missed what I was saying..... You will never face the same player twice in a single GA event.... They never said you would never face them again ever in a later GA event....

Oh so they used the words in a way to basically confuse. Gotcha.

I figured there was more than the same 15 opponents in the past 4 GA I could face. That’s pretty sad.

I figured there was more than the same 15 opponents in the past 4 GA I could face. That’s pretty sad.

Ya, you would think the odds against getting 5 the same would be astronomical...... Interested to see if others report this .....

Ya, you would think the odds against getting 5 the same would be astronomical...... Interested to see if others report this .....

The problem is their formulas are trash. What they should do if they are concerned with GP is face opponents with only 100k GP or less. That way the matchups are broader, new opponents, but you also aren’t getting hosed too badly on GP since 100k ain’t that much.

The formula now is within a few thousand so you are seeing the same opponents for some reason. If millions truly play this game, I would think I would have at least have 5k worth of different opponents in my same GP range I could be facing against.

The problem is their formulas are trash. What they should do if they are concerned with GP is face opponents with only 100k GP or less. That way the matchups are broader, new opponents, but you also aren’t getting hosed too badly on GP since 100k ain’t that much.

The formula now is within a few thousand so you are seeing the same opponents for some reason. If millions truly play this game, I would think I would have at least have 5k worth of different opponents in my same GP range I could be facing against.

I am assuming your GP is fairly high Andy?
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member

Oh so they used the words in a way to basically confuse.

Anyone who reads their words here understands that.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator
    edited December 2018

To be fair, its not intentional, Crumb himself sounds confused when he is relaying us information and ends up double correcting himself
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    Ultra wrote: »

To be fair, its not intentional, Crumb himself sounds confused when he is relaying us information and ends up double correcting himself

At this point I sit back and just wait for the day we get a combination of Revan+C3PO+Nest All in one character, with so many abilities and words that are just designed to confuse you into timing out during the battle as you are still reading them before the battle has even begun. And more unique buffs of course that are impossible to tell what they do during the fight, or who has the buffs because there is so much green now above our characters that some characters are literally hidden behind them. lol
  • Gorem wrote: »
    Ultra wrote: »

At this point I sit back and just wait for the day we get a combination of Revan+C3PO+Nest All in one character, with so many abilities and words that are just designed to confuse you into timing out during the battle as you are still reading them before the battle has even begun. And more unique buffs of course that are impossible to tell what they do during the fight, or who has the buffs because there is so much green now above our characters that some characters are literally hidden behind them. lol

I miss the days when making a character OP meant making them really fast and hit like a truck (Rey). Things were so much simpler.
  • Yeah the way GA is run is based on the swiss system where you each round you face people with the same amount of points(wins) as you and you never play against the same person twice. I play Magic for almost 20 years so the whole thing clicked easily for me(Magic tournaments use swiss system too) and I got it the first time that they meant that, but I can see how people can be confused.
  • Kokie
    1338 posts Member
    Yeah I have 2 previous opponents in my GA as well. Both who are collectors not players so I will gladly accept my prizes even though it's not fun playing a round with no challenge
  • I don't see any names that I recognize from previous GAs and to be honest I wouldn't care if I did, I'm more interested in fair matchmaking.
  • Kreontas wrote: »
    Yeah the way GA is run is based on the swiss system where you each round you face people with the same amount of points(wins) as you and you never play against the same person twice. I play Magic for almost 20 years so the whole thing clicked easily for me(Magic tournaments use swiss system too) and I got it the first time that they meant that, but I can see how people can be confused.

I didn't play anything similar before and I got it, it's not really that hard.
  • I reduced my GP significantly by removing some fluff. I've gotten totally different opponents this GA.
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Huatimus wrote: »
    I reduced my GP significantly by removing some fluff. I've gotten totally different opponents this GA.

I did nothing of the sort and I've gotten totally different opponents this GA.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnBMwPcRbVE

Yes, 4.9 million. Again, I’m beating these guys. I just want different opponents. Every one of them had more Zetas and G12 than me but my mods are better. I wouldn’t mind facing someone with 5 million GP or 4.8 million GP. Long as it’s different.
  • I got paired with one other guy from the first proper 5v5 GA in the 3v3 GA, so yea i experienced it too. It probably happens more as you approach the high 3mil to over 4mil gp
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member

Yes, 4.9 million. Again, I’m beating these guys. I just want different opponents. Every one of them had more Zetas and G12 than me but my mods are better. I wouldn’t mind facing someone with 5 million GP or 4.8 million GP. Long as it’s different.

I assume the question was asked because the higher the GP you are, the less people there are at your same GP and therefore the more likely it is you will see repeat opponents.