Wow, real fair matchup I got.

Replies

• Kyno wrote: »
    NicWester wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    That is not correct. As stated by the devs there was a strategy/benefit to stopping gearing him. At no point will anyone do better in GA by stopping developing their roster.
    By entirely stopping? You're right. But no one is entirely stopping the development of their roster.

My response was to comparing this to paper zombie, which was a startegy of completely stopping gear at a very low level to gain a benefit.

This was what paper zombie was and the issue that was addressed.

Roster development is nothing like that because no one will ever do better by stopping.

This game mode may produce a different style of development, but nothing different than what was produced by TW. A focused development on useful toons.

I’m not just stopping development of my roster, I’m actively trying to regress it.
    I’ve farmed up a few ships and characters to be able to upgrade but I’m not upgrading them, that’s stopping the development of my roster.
    I am slowly and steadily stripping mods from all non essential Pilots and Fleet commanders.
    I am now slowly sifting through my mods and selling them to make room from when I next strip off mods from every other non essential character. Have already stripped a good 50k GP at least and dropped myself from the >4M GP bracket to 3.99M GP bracket. Anyone else have any good suggestions on how else I can regress my roster?

• TVF
    36527 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    What's the point of that? So you face other people just under the cutoff too, and then you go back over it anyway unless you completely stop doing anything with your roster. People are trying way too hard to game the system and will get zero benefit from it.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • I really don’t understand these complaints.

I leveled a majority of my characters up to that sweet spot suggested for TB - gear, character level, abilities - yet I’ve taken first place in all of the GAs so far - and no, I’m not a whale and have even been up against a Revan owner.

I think there’s a much higher premium in creative team building and maximizing the characters you have geared, or even slightly geared, to create matchup problems and tricky defenses.

Besides that, I’m a free to play player for over two years (mostly. Maybe $10/year) who barely stays in top 100 in both Arenas, so it’s not like I’m benefitting from mass crystal intake.

I think you should be looking more at how to utilize your roster, what characters you can Zeta or gear to add to those characters, and you’d be surprised what sort of improvement you can make.
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    Edison wrote: »
    I really don’t understand these complaints.

I leveled a majority of my characters up to that sweet spot suggested for TB - gear, character level, abilities - yet I’ve taken first place in all of the GAs so far - and no, I’m not a whale and have even been up against a Revan owner.

I think there’s a much higher premium in creative team building and maximizing the characters you have geared, or even slightly geared, to create matchup problems and tricky defenses.

Besides that, I’m a free to play player for over two years (mostly. Maybe $10/year) who barely stays in top 100 in both Arenas, so it’s not like I’m benefitting from mass crystal intake.

I think you should be looking more at how to utilize your roster, what characters you can Zeta or gear to add to those characters, and you’d be surprised what sort of improvement you can make.

This x1000
  • Edison wrote: »
    I really don’t understand these complaints.

Yeah, same, kinda. I didn't level guys up for TB, but I had a LOT of characters in the 50-60, gear 5-6 range just from when I was a newly minted scrub and didn't really know what I was doing or who was worth the resources. I've won matches I definitely should have lost because the other person either didn't play offense at all, or they had really bad mods on their characters.

I feel like a lot of the people refusing to play could actually win if they just put in the bare minimum effort.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Huatimus wrote: »
    That is not correct. As stated by the devs there was a strategy/benefit to stopping gearing him. At no point will anyone do better in GA by stopping developing their roster.
    By entirely stopping? You're right. But no one is entirely stopping the development of their roster.

My response was to comparing this to paper zombie, which was a startegy of completely stopping gear at a very low level to gain a benefit.

This was what paper zombie was and the issue that was addressed.

Roster development is nothing like that because no one will ever do better by stopping.

This game mode may produce a different style of development, but nothing different than what was produced by TW. A focused development on useful toons.

I’m not just stopping development of my roster, I’m actively trying to regress it.
    I’ve farmed up a few ships and characters to be able to upgrade but I’m not upgrading them, that’s stopping the development of my roster.
    I am slowly and steadily stripping mods from all non essential Pilots and Fleet commanders.
    I am now slowly sifting through my mods and selling them to make room from when I next strip off mods from every other non essential character. Have already stripped a good 50k GP at least and dropped myself from the >4M GP bracket to 3.99M GP bracket. Anyone else have any good suggestions on how else I can regress my roster?

That can be a startegy that works for you, but it only gets you so far, you will still develop toons that you need/want to use because upgrading toons gets you more. Foes that mean your GP will go up, maybe not for a time as you regress, but you cant keep a negative balance for long.
  • BubbaFett wrote: »
    Gifafi wrote: »
    I think the point is they nerfed/changed zombie bc not leveling was "against the interests of the game," but here we have the exact same scenario. People leveled zombie before/while paper zombie was being used/discovered, so CG (way too late, but still) changed it.

Seems like they should/would change GA to match # of g12/7*/etc as a was to discourage not leveling toons. Doesn't seem like a difficult fix, and would fix the situation that they themselves said was bad when it was only one character, let alone a ton of them.

It's also extremely silly to blame people for playing the game the way it was supposed to played just because SWGOH introduced a new playing mode a few weeks ago. I mean...

At no point will anyone do better in GA by stopping developing their roster.

But they will do better by stopping development of a large part of it.

And those who already have developed those characters are now being retrospectively handicapped by the matching algorithm for this game mode.

It's a mobile game and it constantly evolves...... Evolve with it or get left behind.....

I don't see anyone breathing about how they do super well in tb with a fluffed roster, but I sure see many whining about GA....

Any guild with a degree of leadership, co-ordination and sense got everyone to use up excess gear and currency over a year ago to increase their guild GP for territory battles. This increased guild GP and increased star returns and rewards.

It has nothing to do with priorities, resource management or making "right" choices; taking characters to G7 (for example) wouldn't use any resources that prevent you from taking another character from G10/G11 to G11/G12. But taking those characters to G7 helped your guild earn stars in Territory Battles.

It's amazing how close most GP matches have been but this doesn't in any way shape or form mean that those rosters are matched. GP is an arbitrary number, that arguably isn't well designed to be used to actually demonstrate parity between rosters. On top of this (arguably contentious) GP issue, for this game mode only the top 60 to 70 characters actually matter; continuing to match players on the basis of their full GP will never create balanced and even match-ups unless they make a dramatic change to the GP weightings and calculations. Focusing match ups on the basis of the top % proportion of rosters however, would fix this issue much more easily and quickly.

A significant proportion of people are frustrated by discrepancies of anywhere between 10 to 50% GP between the toons that each side can actually bring to the table to fight with. Those are the 60 or so toons that you actually get to use.

Many are attempting to provide feedback on this issue in a considered, accurate, evidenced and positive way in spite of the usual suspects ever-so helpful comments to "evolve", "git gud" and "your choices what you prioritised".

If the decision of the developers is to reward not developing lesser used toons to G7, great, I'll stop developing them. I'm sure many others will too, and we'll move on with tens to hundreds of stagnant toons doing nothing in our rosters.

In the meantime, this isn't about evolution and it isn't whining. It's called feedback. Some would like to see this new game mode made fairer, more balanced and more fun for everyone.
  • TVF wrote: »
    What's the point of that? So you face other people just under the cutoff too, and then you go back over it anyway unless you completely stop doing anything with your roster. People are trying way too hard to game the system and will get zero benefit from it.

Because by changing the balance of your roster GP distribution (even by such a small amount) so that a greater proportion is accounted for in your top 60 to 70 toons you benefit from easier match ups with the current match making process.

That benefit may be marginal by mod stripping alone, but over time by not investing in anything outside your top 60/70 characters by just hoarding low gear/credits that you may have otherwise used, you'll gain an advantage in Grand Arena (as it currently is matched).

eg.

Player one 3.5 mil GP: 1mil represented in their top 60 toons, 1.1 mil in other toons, 1.4mil in ships,
    Player two 3.5 mil GP: 1.5mil represented in their top 60 toons, 600k in their other toons, 1.4 mil in ships.

No contest who is going to win that match up in a game mode where the top 60 toons in each persons roster are essentially all that matters.
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    That didn't answer my post.
    That didn't answer my post.

Then I guess you don't understand the issue people are providing feedback on.
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    If that makes you feel better I'm happy to let you think so. Good day.
    Actually this is the BEST time for them to do that. The advantage narrow rosters have is that they're fighting a tier below where they should be, basically. Ever play an MMO with banded PvP battlefields? Like, level 1-10 is one group, level 11-19 is in another, etc? This person is basically choosing to compete with a level 20 or 21 roster in an 11-19 group, if that makes sense.
    Edison wrote: »
    Jarvind wrote: »
    Yeah, same, kinda. I didn't level guys up for TB, but I had a LOT of characters in the 50-60, gear 5-6 range just from when I was a newly minted scrub and didn't really know what I was doing or who was worth the resources. I've won matches I definitely should have lost because the other person either didn't play offense at all, or they had really bad mods on their characters.
    For real--do the math. Look at your opponents and check their effective GP compared to yours. It takes some time, admittedly, but look into it and tell us what you see.

I've won matches, too. I went 2-1 in the first real one and had some really close, competitive maches. Since then I've gone 0-3, I managed to win one battle this time around so that I can get Kenobi quest progression, and all told I'm still two territory clears away from finishing the BASIC quest line.

It's not from lack of effort and it's not because I don't know how to put a squad together. It's because I'm hopelessly outmatched.

Do the math on your opponents like I did with mine. If you're going up against people with 10% or more GP than you and you're winning regularly, then my hat is off to you. But you're probably getting matches that are closer to your effective GP, or maybe even getting ones that are beneath you
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    It makes no sense Nic. They are not fighting a 3.01m roster with their 3.99 roster. They are fighting a 3.99 roster with their 3.99 roster.
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    I mean seriously, you drop down from 4.0 to 3.99 to face this terrible other player who is also 3.99. And then you stay at 3.99 forever to avoid the same 3.99 player who is now at 4.0 because they promoted CUP and went from terrible to unbeatable just because they passed the magic 4.0 threshold. How is this logical?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    BubbaFett wrote: »
    I think the point is they nerfed/changed zombie bc not leveling was "against the interests of the game," but here we have the exact same scenario. People leveled zombie before/while paper zombie was being used/discovered, so CG (way too late, but still) changed it.

Seems like they should/would change GA to match # of g12/7*/etc as a was to discourage not leveling toons. Doesn't seem like a difficult fix, and would fix the situation that they themselves said was bad when it was only one character, let alone a ton of them.

It's also extremely silly to blame people for playing the game the way it was supposed to played just because SWGOH introduced a new playing mode a few weeks ago. I mean...

And those who already have developed those characters are now being retrospectively handicapped by the matching algorithm for this game mode.

It's a mobile game and it constantly evolves...... Evolve with it or get left behind.....

I don't see anyone breathing about how they do super well in tb with a fluffed roster, but I sure see many whining about GA....

Any guild with a degree of leadership, co-ordination and sense got everyone to use up excess gear and currency over a year ago to increase their guild GP for territory battles. This increased guild GP and increased star returns and rewards.

And any degree if leadership would have identified or allowed their players to identify when the reward vs investment was worth it, and stopped pushing blind investment, there were also plenty of useful toons and teams to build for TB.

This would also have been straightened out when TW dropped and there were actuall useful toons to build up.
  • NicWester wrote: »
    Do the math on your opponents like I did with mine. If you're going up against people with 10% or more GP than you and you're winning regularly, then my hat is off to you. But you're probably getting matches that are closer to your effective GP, or maybe even getting ones that are beneath you

I think the difference here is what you consider effective GP vs what I do.

My current matchup (which I've gotten no attacks from the opponent yet) is my opponent:

dndu96t8lyqn.png
    90j8za1facmc.png

vs me:

qafarqdi6on4.png
    7alot1o2urq7.png

If you're just looking at total number of gear 12 characters, it doesn't seem like a very fair matchup. But that's a short sighted way of looking at an opponent. Gear is important, but a G7 Triumvirate could take down a lot of G12 squads - it's all about knowing what to set, what to hold, and what to use. The first thing I do when I'm assigned an opponent is look at their entire roster and roughly plot out what 14 teams I think they would make out of their roster. From there I try to figure out what defensive teams they would struggle with, and what offenses I would need to handle any combination of what they could potentially keep on defense.

I could complain that I have some bloat from 7*ing 21 more characters than them when we all know I'm not using that 7* Gunray for anything. Might only be looking at 1,000 GP or more per character depending on that characters gear level (to test I just took a G7 Geo Spy from 5* to 6* which increased his individual GP by 1,141) but this discussion always centers on "I buffed X, Y, or Z and now I'm at a disadvantage." So that's also worth mentioning.

When I talk about creative team building - it's taking characters that are at G8 or G9 and might be "useless" and pairing them with leaders or other characters that can create a matchup that can cause issues - making it easy to underestimate them causing a defensive win, or making it easy to overestimate them causing a good offensive team to be burned.

Having more characters in any sort of fighting condition is not a bad thing, especially understanding how counters, abilities, etc work. I dug deep into my G7 and G8 characters (and one G4) for the 3V3 GA and had success, because I knew what would work and what I could do.

I'm not even close to the best SWGOH player there is. I wouldn't even argue I'm in the top 50% of it, but I do enjoy the theory crafting and preparing for opponents. If you wanted to private message and discuss your roster, strategies, etc, I'd be more than happy to!

• TVF
    36527 posts Member
    That 7* Nute is a good point. I have that too, and also a G12 Pao that is useless outside of the Sith Raid. That's my choice and I still do just fine in GA.
  • A little confused on the definition of "Fluff" here, would that be lower level characters that you don't use but just take up GP? Because that's the exact kind of thing I try to avoid. I focus on one toon at a time, the rest are still waiting to be activated; I activate the next one I want to upgrade and continue.
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall" - Confucius. My SWGOH.GG Profile: https://swgoh.gg/u/bahumat22/
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »
    Actually this is the BEST time for them to do that. The advantage narrow rosters have is that they're fighting a tier below where they should be, basically. Ever play an MMO with banded PvP battlefields? Like, level 1-10 is one group, level 11-19 is in another, etc? This person is basically choosing to compete with a level 20 or 21 roster in an 11-19 group, if that makes sense.

Or the people with fluff rosters are fighting a tier above where they should be. Neither statement is more accurate than the other because there is no "should" here. Just different choices that different people have made.
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    Wait you mean at 4.00 you could have an easier matchup than at 3.99? Why didn't CG warn everyone who purposely dropped down to 3.99???
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    If people are stripping mods to go down a tiny bit in order to get these "rewards," then gl with that lol.

As for resource management-rewarding, the EASY fix is for the matchmaking to not be by gp, but by #of g12/7*, 6*, G11s etc.

That way if you have a g12 7* CUP, that punishes your bad resource management and rewards those you'll face who leveled up traya/etc. And doesn't "punish" anyone who has starred/geared toons for TW, TB, etc.

Overall it seems to be not that big of a deal, it's only GA after all, it just seems weird to have created these issues unnecessarily. And also seems odd in that this rewards the newest payers, but only if they read forums religiously etc. They shouldn't want to make things even harder for the casual n00bs. juuuust sayin
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • DarjeloSalas
    9944 posts Member
    edited December 2018

I asked in another thread, define “fair”.

My roster is about as fluffed as it gets (only 3 toons below g7, all unlocked except Revan https://swgoh.gg/p/343174317/ ) but I’ve so far won my first GA, and lost the final of the second one by 4 points. The guy that beat me in the final had Revan, I don’t, and still it came down to 4 points. I’ve cleared enemy board in every single round, despite being trumped for g12, zetas and 15+ mods in virtually every round.

Whales get matched with whales. If you’ve been matched with a whale, you must have a massive GP but not know how best to use it.

I’m not planning to boycott this game mode. It is good fun, rewards those who know how to use their roster effectively and is not massively time-demanding.
    Post edited by Sunnie1978 on

My current matchup (which I've gotten no attacks from the opponent yet) is my opponent:

dndu96t8lyqn.png
    90j8za1facmc.png

vs me:

qafarqdi6on4.png
    7alot1o2urq7.png

If you're just looking at total number of gear 12 characters, it doesn't seem like a very fair matchup. But that's a short sighted way of looking at an opponent. Gear is important, but a G7 Triumvirate could take down a lot of G12 squads - it's all about knowing what to set, what to hold, and what to use. The first thing I do when I'm assigned an opponent is look at their entire roster and roughly plot out what 14 teams I think they would make out of their roster. From there I try to figure out what defensive teams they would struggle with, and what offenses I would need to handle any combination of what they could potentially keep on defense.

I could complain that I have some bloat from 7*ing 21 more characters than them when we all know I'm not using that 7* Gunray for anything. Might only be looking at 1,000 GP or more per character depending on that characters gear level (to test I just took a G7 Geo Spy from 5* to 6* which increased his individual GP by 1,141) but this discussion always centers on "I buffed X, Y, or Z and now I'm at a disadvantage." So that's also worth mentioning.

When I talk about creative team building - it's taking characters that are at G8 or G9 and might be "useless" and pairing them with leaders or other characters that can create a matchup that can cause issues - making it easy to underestimate them causing a defensive win, or making it easy to overestimate them causing a good offensive team to be burned.

Having more characters in any sort of fighting condition is not a bad thing, especially understanding how counters, abilities, etc work. I dug deep into my G7 and G8 characters (and one G4) for the 3V3 GA and had success, because I knew what would work and what I could do.

I'm not even close to the best SWGOH player there is. I wouldn't even argue I'm in the top 50% of it, but I do enjoy the theory crafting and preparing for opponents. If you wanted to private message and discuss your roster, strategies, etc, I'd be more than happy to!

This guy gets it. 100% agree with this.

I picked the top 75 characters because it’s a useful metric. If you aren’t beating them with your top 15 teams then your next 15 probably aren’t going to get the job finished.

It won’t be a perfect metric, there will be a few characters you don’t use that are going to be included in the top 75, but I’ve got them, too—you think I’m going to use my g8 Maul or g11 Jawa Scavenger to much effect in this mode?
  • Kyno wrote: »

And any degree if leadership would have identified or allowed their players to identify when the reward vs investment was worth it, and stopped pushing blind investment, there were also plenty of useful toons and teams to build for TB.

This would also have been straightened out when TW dropped and there were actuall useful toons to build up.

You ignored the crucial part here "over a year ago". It those decisions back then which are disadvantaging people in the matching system now.
    It makes no sense Nic. They are not fighting a 3.01m roster with their 3.99 roster. They are fighting a 3.99 roster with their 3.99 roster.

See, I was right earlier. you keep commenting on these posts but I can only assume that you don't understand. no one has said its 3.01m vs 3.99m.

This has NOTHING to do with how close the total GP number for each player is.

It is about where that galactic power resides within different rosters and the vastly uneven matchups this can create within the useable/effective GP that can be utilised in the battles.

You haven't had this? Great.

You have a 'narrow' roster? Awesome, this matching system benefits you greatly.

The example I gave earlier was my last GA match. The match on paper is 3.5mil vs 3.5mil. But as to what can actually/effectively be used in battle with the number of nodes we have? That was 1.02mil vs 1.52mil for each players top 60 toons. No amount of clever use of G7/8 squads can overcome that vast gulf in useable GP. That is the mismatch issue people are encountering.

If this is how the devs intend things to be, fine. All work in developing deeper rosters will grind to halt because doing so will place you at a disadvantage in grand arena. Mods will be stripped because it will benefit you for your matching. This is counter intuitive for a collecting game where we should be encouraged to invest in our collection, not penalised (retrospectively) for that investment.
  • Round two is looking better than before. Here's the raw GP comparison and our respective top 25 comparison. Interestingly, relating to another discussion some other place, it looks like the rankings within sections (ie: the 1-0s and the 0-1s) is randomized. Or, possibly, you're just always on top and your opponent is always on the bottom. It's not even the tiniest bit important, but I thought it was interesting, anyway, here are some numbers--

My GP: 3928258
    His GP: 3930622
    Differential: 2364 (99.94%) <---Look how close that is! Anyone who says this algorithm isn't working is mistaken. It's working, but I feel like the algorithm is fundamentally flawed.

My top 75: 1308096
    His top 75: 1367862
    Differential: 59,766 (95.63%) <--Reasonably close. I might be able to win this one if I set the right teams on defense because of the way this event is structured. I can't possibly beat his Treya (I just don't have the right characters geared, I'm working on them, but as a non-spender it's not going to happen overnight) but because I can attack around here and hit the other teams, I've got a puncher's chance.

That said, a nearly 5% differential is still pretty significant. If the goal is to keep the pods as consistently competitive as possible, this should be the maximum differential, not the minimum. We'll see what happens with round 3 to get more info.
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member

See, I was right earlier. you keep commenting on these posts but I can only assume that you don't understand. no one has said its 3.01m vs 3.99m.

It is about where that galactic power resides within different rosters and the vastly uneven matchups this can create within the useable/effective GP that can be utilised in the battles.

The example I gave earlier was my last GA match. The match on paper is 3.5mil vs 3.5mil. But as to what can actually/effectively be used in battle with the number of nodes we have? That was 1.02mil vs 1.52mil for each players top 60 toons. No amount of clever use of G7/8 squads can overcome that vast gulf in useable GP. That is the mismatch issue people are encountering.

If this is how the devs intend things to be, fine. All work in developing deeper rosters will grind to halt because doing so will place you at a disadvantage in grand arena. Mods will be stripped because it will benefit you for your matching. This is counter intuitive for a collecting game where we should be encouraged to invest in our collection, not penalised (retrospectively) for that investment.

I'm not going to bother reading this post because the person I was responding to said exactly what you claimed is not being said. Have a nice New Year.

I'm not going to bother reading this post because the person I was responding to said exactly what you claimed is not being said. Have a nice New Year.

Ignorance is bliss.

And happy new year to you.

It'd help if you took the time to understand peoples feedback once in a while before repeatedly posting the same counter arguments that have nothing to do with what is being said.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

You ignored the crucial part here "over a year ago". It those decisions back then which are disadvantaging people in the matching system now.

You are missing the point of having leadership, and either having them or allowing you to make some sort of judgement about development.

Pushing everyone to develop GP was good to cover 1 gap, and maybe push for a second star on pure GP, but after that the gap is huge and needs to be managed by winning battles not pure numbers. For our guild the focus quickly changed from blind GP to a focused reason and specific teams/toons.