Arena mods- proper sets versus better speed secondaries.

HK666
1263 posts Member
While I don't wanna call myself an ****, I've never fully grasped what my approach to modding in this game should be.

For my arena teams, I've always just thrown on whatever had the highest speed secondaries and the right primary (and if a mod with the wrong primary had a significant amount of speed attached, I made exceptions)

I'm about to switch my arena team, which means I need to make new mod loadouts. This time, I made loadouts considering sets, and it slows the team down, but gives them better mod set bonus. (like han would have crit damage instead of health as his sets)

for example my current arena team loadouts give (and keep in mind I haven't updated these in a while, so i could push them higher)

+103, +101, +100, +83

while this new set gives

+86 ,+90 ,+84 ,+73(this one has a speed set, so theres a 10% bonus attached)

should I keep these new mods, making the team slower but better at everything else? Or should I keep my OG train of thought and just go for speeeed?

Replies

• Options
    Ideally proper sets with speed is best. I've always leaned towards proper sets and just keep farming those until I get decent speeds on those. And by proper sets I mean sets that best suits the toon with ideal primaries and of course as much speed as possible. It takes a lot of farming and I end up selling 10+ mods to every one I keep. In arena I'd much rather face toons with unmatched sets than ones with slightly slower matched sets.
  • Options
    And without knowing the base speed of the toons it's hard to tell the difference those numbers will make. +110 on GMY is different than on kanan for instance
  • Options
    ColtIce666 wrote: »
    I end up selling 10+ mods to every one I keep.

That's all? That sounds like an amazing ratio to me.

I do the same, though. Having a bunch of mods from mismatched sets would irritate me, no matter how good the speed stats were.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• ColtIce666
    43 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Jarvind wrote: »
    ColtIce666 wrote: »
    I end up selling 10+ mods to every one I keep.

That's all? That sounds like an amazing ratio to me.

I do the same, though. Having a bunch of mods from mismatched sets would irritate me, no matter how good the speed stats were.

It's probably way higher which is why I added the plus sign. To say I sell 95-97 out of 100 is probably pretty close to reality. I'm also very picky as to which ones I do keep and my policy has been getting stricter.
  • TVF
    36598 posts Member
    Options
    I try to make sets where possible but it depends on my goal. For CLS I need him as fast as possible in order to go before Revan. So it's going to be a speed set, but the other two are mismatched because I'm simply looking for the highest secondary.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    Speed is still super important. Mod set bonuses used to not be as important but with the changes now they are. It may be worth running a mismatched set on an "engine" character like Vader or Sith Assasin or Nest or FOO to get them as fast as possible, but otherwise set bonuses with even a small speed secondary should be prioritized.

On advice of Guildy, I finally went through all my mods. I hit the cap every week. A good game new years resolution.

On all mods that didn't show speed, I Levelled purple to 3, blue to 6, green to 9. Locked every one with a speed secondary, large offense, crit or protection/health or some other crazy number. (Like a 9% tenacity or 8% potency, 2000 protection, 1000 health secondary). Saved all gold mods, even bad ones, for an emergency but did not level the bad ones. Sold everything else that wasn't already levelled to 15. It took forever and cost me a few mil but cleared out a few hundred mods.

I found probably 30-40 speed secondaries. A couple of +15s and 8-10 +10s and lots of 5-8s.

I have most of my top 12 teams at around a +50 average now. Even the g8 ones. Ive beaten people With far better rosters in GA because my trash teams have some speed and they are all sitting at near base speed.

It's a chore but worth the time.
  • Options
    I think SWGOH is trying to beef up all characters and teams to find a happy balance between 5 minute battles and teams that don't die in 1 minute.

So with that said they don't want who goes 1st to be the determining factor in a battle.

Until that is achieved, who goes first matters. My arena team keeps me 450-570 zFinn, Zscav Rey, Poe, Trooper, Pilot
    on a 3 year old server.... all G11

The reason I can hang there is Poe and Rey's mods Speed Type 4 set. They are both about 250 speed, Poe with potency off set and Rey CC. I took 2 years off... and this team can still do "something" for me cause of mods.

I need Poe to go 1st for his TM removal, especially against empire teams. If he does, sometimes Rey can almost 1 shot Emperor Palpatines with expose on them, which can win me the battle right there with my team not getting stunned. I want to G12 that team and keep modding them just to see how far it can go. It's kinda cool that such a team can still be relevant.

It can't beat NS and Bastilla teams though. Just Empire and CLS.
  • Options
    VonZant wrote: »
    Speed is still super important. Mod set bonuses used to not be as important but with the changes now they are. It may be worth running a mismatched set on an "engine" character like Vader or Sith Assasin or Nest or FOO to get them as fast as possible, but otherwise set bonuses with even a small speed secondary should be prioritized.

On advice of Guildy, I finally went through all my mods. I hit the cap every week. A good game new years resolution.

On all mods that didn't show speed, I Levelled purple to 3, blue to 6, green to 9. Locked every one with a speed secondary, large offense, crit or protection/health or some other crazy number. (Like a 9% tenacity or 8% potency, 2000 protection, 1000 health secondary). Saved all gold mods, even bad ones, for an emergency but did not level the bad ones. Sold everything else that wasn't already levelled to 15. It took forever and cost me a few mil but cleared out a few hundred mods.

I found probably 30-40 speed secondaries. A couple of +15s and 8-10 +10s and lots of 5-8s.

I have most of my top 12 teams at around a +50 average now. Even the g8 ones. Ive beaten people With far better rosters in GA because my trash teams have some speed and they are all sitting at near base speed.

It's a chore but worth the time.

If your teams are in the top with G8 and only +50 speed then that is a really new server.
  • Options
    HK666, up all greys to level 12, green to 9, blue to 6, and purple to 3. If it gives you the exact stats you want for the set you want START SLICING
    That is the smartest way to do it. Credits come easy and it is the highest % method to get the stats you want. Sell all that don't. Gives you a lot of credits back.
  • TVF
    36598 posts Member
    Options
    But why put in all that work when it's easier to just complain about matchmaking?
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    TVF wrote: »
    But why put in all that work when it's easier to just complain about matchmaking?

I know, right?

I always suspected but could not be sure that even my trash teams performed better than averge in TW because of mods but its harder to quantify. But with GA you know exactly what is being thrown at you and exactly what their stats are.

Its modding, plain and simple. Literally the most important part of the game.
  • Jarvind
    3926 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

I did the same recently. I ended up almost a million credits in the black from selling so many gray/unworthy mods, which was a nice unexpected windfall.
    TVF wrote: »
    I always suspected but could not be sure that even my trash teams performed better than averge in TW because of mods but its harder to quantify.

I've been blown away by the abysmal speed on some of my GA opponents' "good" squads, and conversely how many defensive victories I get with teams I don't consider all that fast. My 70k team of Ackbar, Princess Leia, ST Han, Wedge, and Royal Guard (lol), all around gear 9, took my current opponent three attempts to down. My 65k Phoenix have 2 wins and are still standing.

Just goes to show you how few people actually read forums and watch videos to learn how to optimize their stuff, I guess.
    Post edited by Jarvind on
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• HK666
    1263 posts Member
    Options
    the current team, with higher speeds, is a EP team. I guess speed is more important because they need to get those debuffs out before they get knocked around. The sets are all over the place. Health mostly, but theres tenacity and crit chance and maybe potency in there somewhere. I think some of it actually worked out well, but again it's mostly health

the proposed team is a CLS team. So crit damage and to a lesser extent crit chance sets would make a bigger difference on that team
  • Vendi1983
    5023 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Nothing worse than clicking on people in your arena shard and they have a G12 Vader with 6E mods rocking about 140-150 TOTAL speed.

Well, worse for them, good for me. ;)

I'm glad your Vader has 60kn protection but I hit him four times before he took a single turn...
  • Options
    It honestly depends on which toon you're trying to mod. For example, CLS, I mod for speed first, potency second, and then whatever else I can get after that. I'd make sure he has a matching speed set, but his other two mods don't need to match if they can't. Auto taunting tanks, on the other hand, don't need speed as much, so I'd make sure they had the appropriate matching sets/desired primaries.