Territory Wars: Community Style [MEGA]

Replies

• DarthSRN
    1 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Okay, so I've been playing since March or April of 2016, and this is one of the worst decisions I think the team has made since I've been around. While the temporary buffs in November were well received (and with good reason) I think you all learned the wrong lesson from them.

Those bonuses were fun and engaging because they allowed people who had invested in toons that were not considered good or meta to use characters that they had invested resources into in new and interesting ways where that investment was rewarded. This change makes it so that investments that people made in characters (potentially specifically for TW) are now less valuable, even if only for this war. It goes directly against the spirit of the game, which is based entirely on planning long term and focusing on specific toons and factions if you want to do well.

With how the groupings are set up it will almost certainly gimp factions that I have invested in with focus due to the fact that I built 5 member teams of specific factions, with the removal of one character making them potentiality unusable for these wars. It punishes those of us who have been building teams specifically for territory war.

This mode is one of my favorite, and while I love GA, that is no replacement for TW. Wars are currently the only place where guilds who have all of the raids on farm to truly focus, and it is some of the best pride and accomplishment that a group can feel in this game at that point. I just recently joined a guild that specifically focuses on TW, and it has immensely increased the fun I have with this game. Attempting to make TW less competitive is a mistake outright. Guilds need atleast one place where they can be competitive, because without that there is no real reason to engage with a guild content at a high level.

If anything, GA shpuld be where you attempt to take a mode "in a more playful and fun direction" as individuals already have both arena and fleet arena to focus on competitively, as well as raids, which once they are on farm become either something that you join and then collect rewards from (especially the epically frustrating and boring hSTR) or another competition but between people who you are supposed to be collaborating with as opposed to fighting.

If you want to spice up TW more, continue with temporary buffs, limitations on who can be placed where/used on offence or defence, or really anything else that encourages new ideas and theoeycrafting and doesn't prevent players from using characters that they have invested in (sometimes with real money). Platoons are the absolute worst part of TB, please don't add and equivalent pain in the as to TW.

Edit: Just wanted to throw in that even with all the other kitten you've pulled in the past, this is what it took to finally make me make an account on here to complain as opposed to just using reddit.
    Post edited by Sunnie1978 on
  • This change is neither playful or fun! As a player that has been playing for only 6 months and has a gp of 900k, I have worked hard to farm squads of 5 to use in different parts of the game, the same can be said for most of the guys in our guild(60mil gp). All this change is going to do is remove key characters from most of our squads and make TW NO FUN AT ALL!!!!! Capital Games please explain to us how this is "Playful & Fun" and what you aim to achieve with these changes?
  • Banning is not fun, strategic, nor does it provide balance. I voted in your survey so I personally don't get screwed over, but it's not fun winning over an opponent who has been hamstrung because you removed member(s) of their team(s) that were essential. One of the things I liked about SWGoH was the absence of a banning system, so this is a step in the wrong direction if you ask me.
  • Delusional....if you want casual game play, join a casual guild....don't screw our competition for top guilds. We said we liked mixing up the bonuses....we didnt say we want you to ban members out of the squads we have....if you farmed the meta squads then we should get to use them! If people pay to use a toon they Shouldn't be told sorry one is getting benched. Do not say the community asked for this. We gave you praise on the buffs. we liked that mixing it up...you just destroyed TW to pointless waste in competive guilds.
  • SoylentGreen
    84 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    It‘s an American problem.
    Churchill already knew that „You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.“

In so far the latest TW decision (and probably what‘s coming regarding hSTR P3 / 3PO) isn‘t (will not be) a surprise.
    Post edited by SoylentGreen on
  • I just reactivated my ea account to write on this post, thats how bad this looks

this seams really wrong, what if i only have a few good teams for tw and with this you cripple them all.
    just for example
    NS the go to team is one in every group so its really posible you are going to miss one key toon what if i like assaj lead and she has zetas and that get banned i dont have a zeta on mother talzin so there goes the team, same goes if you ban zombie thats a complete crippling effect

even worse what if traya gets in and i dont have traya but i normally can use one or two counters and those get crippled by bans and we get an unbreakable wall that we cant go through thats no fun what so ever
    i could keep on talking but the provabilities are so much and everyone is for the worse
  • who the hell is thinking of those ideas????
    why don't you spend your time and resources to fix what is wrong with the game instead of making it more complex and unbalanced???
  • ForestDepths
    17 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Not a fan on this idea, here's why:

While I like the idea of shaking things up and requiring players to think outside the box, as someone who has financially supported the game I can't get behind the idea of losing access to a character I've invested in because someone else voted on it.

In my opinion, a better approach would be having us vote on a selection of buffs to be available for the next war.
    This seems sensible if they really want to use a voting system. Adding only buffs will have a much more positive reaction no doubt. A part of me is somewhat curious how this character banning would play out though. It would force new teams that would otherwise never happen...but I can foresee big headaches too(of which many already enumerated on).

Wanted to add calling for people's jobs as I have seen some do over this is a bit much imo. As long as they are willing to learn from this all is gucci. Maybe I'm naive but I see it at least as an attempt to keep their game fresh. Maybe the idea went too far, rein it in then. I like OneWorldAway idea for starters above.
  • Klocko
    1017 posts Member
    As a launch day player, I can honestly say this is the absolute worst idea ever to be thrown at the player base. I already didn't like TW, and this just solidifies the opinion.

I won't be voting as it doesn't matter. My roster is now borked.
  • Look, I get it. You don’t want to be restricted from using your hard-earned characters. You’d rather we have certain characters recieve random boosts like we’ve gotten before.

But let me just say this, did those boosts make that much of a difference in terms of strategising or versing other teams? Cause in my guild’s experience, it did not. The teams used on defence are almost always universal when competing against high level guilds. It just becomes a competition of who has the best FO, NS, Traya (etc) walls.

The boosts were nice and made other characters useful for a change but 90% of the time they were used on offence so it didn’t even really matter, the comp never changed that much.

I always hear people saying TW is the best mode in the game and they only play it now for TW, and I’ve never understood that mentality. At least to me, TW was pretty much exactly like TB. Same teams, same layout every round. Maybe I’ve just somehow been incredibly unlucky to only get what seems like the exact same experience every TW, but it is what it is. I’m actually kind of excited to have to use strategy for a change and make plans around not being able to use some characters. These sorts of restrictions I see as a positive thing, it’s a challenge to overcome.

Now, I do agree with the community that this shouldn’t be the new norm for TW, but I do hope they don’t stop trying new things like this, because if they did we’d go back to a stale TW where nothing is really all that different and may as well just be beaten with sim tickets.

Obviously, this is just my own opinion, which judging by the state of the forums and the subreddit is in the minority, but I just wanted to drop my 2 cents in the bucket anyway. I don’t really plan on debating this either so don’t reply looking for one (Not that I check the forums often anyway). Just making that clear now. I don’t mind if people disagree though as I’m sure people will. Oh and before I forget, I’m not even the biggest fan of PvP content to begin with so maybe I’m affected by a bit of bias with my opinion on this.
  • Ususl story here. Instead of doing what the communuty wants (temporary faction bonuses), cg feels they need to figure out a completely new design. Which new design fails hard and noone wants.
    Voting is bad, obviously it can be cheated (easier than cheating in the actual game), and either the whale characters will be banned, or the ftp options, thus for sure screwing with half the community.
  • Why dont give players that spread his resources around a chance to shine?
  • Phoenixeon wrote: »
    Why dont give players that spread his resources around a chance to shine?

TB does that already... ALREADY. It’s also a separate game mode unlike this one they absolutely are borking with forethought and willfully.
  • If you don’t care to debate it, why make your own thread instead of commenting on the megathread already in existence?
  • dont_ruin_TW
    2 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Highly disappointing. I understand trying to add fun new things to the game, but this just ruins Territory Wars.
  • All players who just play on the mobile devices and not checking the forum are excluded from this vote! Thats no really fair. It should not be a necessity to use the forum.
  • Phoenixeon wrote: »
    Why dont give players that spread his resources around a chance to shine?

TB does that already... ALREADY. It’s also a separate game mode unlike this one they absolutely are borking with forethought and willfully.

TB...TB what? huh?
    You only need max 4 squads per phase, not 8 dude.
  • I rarely post something here on forums, but in this case I'd like to express my opinion on that topic.

First of all, banning characters from any game mode greatly negates the whole point of roster management. Most of all the competitive players and TW focused guilds exist only because they know how to do it, this is their main goal in this game. What's the point of being a part of a TW focused guild if a random part of your roster is going to be banned each TW? There might be no such thing as a TW focused guild or guild alliance. Looks like CG wants to shift focus to Grand Arena, but this is a completely different thing - it's all about your own roster and skills. TW is just on a different level - it's a guild effort and it brings so much emotion and fun for each guild member and especially for those TW commanders or warmasters, believe it or not.
    Some might think that this is a good idea to ban some characters from TW because it makes us adapt to the new pool of characters available each TW, but this is not fun. If CG wants to make fun of TW or make it more interesting to play, banning mechanism is not the way to go. I'm sure we'll see a lot of negative feedback after the next TW with a half of our rosters excluded from it. In my opinion, it's better to abandon this idea before it happens. By the way, Clone Wars bonuses in November were even much better in terms of "fun" than this idea is going to be like.

Territory Wars provide new experience all the time new character is being released, no matter if this character is meta defining or not. It's just basically the new thing every time new content is being added to the game. Let alone having different opponents and different strategy each time TW occurs. There is definitely a lot of diversity in TW. Some people need more of it, it's fine - I like the idea of adding some, but not the way CG wants to.

I would suggest adding some sort of bonuses or negative effects for some territories, like a passive stat boost for the defending team, unique abilities provided to the attacking team, like we have in Territory Battles, different events or raids. Maybe even some passive negative effects like -50% offense or -50% speed for the attacking team, why not - it's interesting to strategize around it! Those effects might differ from one TW to another, and there are many options to make this happen. This might be even better than just some passive bonuses to any particular character (which is still fine), because it provides deeper strategizing for the competitive part of the community.
  • KyloRey wrote: »
    Love this idea! Get more community engagement! This doesn’t kill TW, it spices it up!

The same way arsenic would spice up a salad?
  • I realize that the TW is not everyone's favorite game mode is as it it mine, but this is counter productive and frustrating to those that have spent time and money to create a strong roster and characters to compete with my fellow guild mates. If banning over twenty of my best toons for an event is supposed to be fun, we have very different ideas about what fun is!
    Instead of taking away my favorite characters for game play, how about we get a different map configuration?
  • Strange... very strange.....
    At least there is hope to exclude Revan and Traya from TW! :wink:
  • This is not fun.
    Are you lost mind? What the hell is it?
    This is worst idea!
  • This is a horrible idea.
  • Fringilla_Vigo
    56 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    I read the posts here and on Reddit and I really cannot believe my eyes. Am I really the only one that likes the changes? I think it's a great concept! (and that comes from a guy that is responsible for our guild TW tactics - and our score is 14:2, so I'm not the worst one out there...)
    Why is it good?
    1 - It forces to think outside the box
    2 - It forces to dig deeper in the roster and play the characters that you wouldn't normaly play
    3 - In contrary to GA, it promotes the wide roster of characters
    4 - It negates the attitude "I will tune down my GP, get the mods out, I'll focus on 3 meta teams"

And to deal with the common claims...
    1- OMG, I levelled / invested in character X, it's my best toon, it's useless now!!!
    - No. it is't useless. It is useless in this particular TW ONLY

2 - I cannot use my team X! It is my best team! I am useless for TW
    - No, you are not. You are exactly on the same boat that your opponent is. And you were simply caught by surprise. Like all of us. Not the first and not the last time in this game...

3 - All i did, was done having TW in mind. Now you destroy all of my work. The **** that get their Ewoks are the winners! Abomination!!
    - Look at the points above. It's one time only, applies to everybody. Moreover - wasn't it the same thing with C-3PO event? You were just cauht by surprise, not the first time in the world...

Why don't you chill and enjoy something different? Especially that it is not permanent...
  • This is such a stupid concept I'm not even going to vote. Does CG even have any clue how much time goes into planning defenses and offenses for TW?

Yet again you show how you are out of touch with your customers.
  • Elcolonel
    14 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    A good point raised by a guildmate of mine @CG_SBCrumb, if pilots are voted out of TW will their ship also be voted out?

For example, if Grand Admiral Thrawn doesn't make the cut does that mean Chimaera won't be available in Fleets!? That being the case removing 25% of the available Capital Ship, and arguably the best CS, will likely make the Fleet sections of the map unplayable for some.

It really seems there are a lot of implication to this change that may not have been adequately thought out, not least the amount of time you are expecting people to spend remodding an entire roster for a single event, only to have to remod again immediately after the event lock for all other game modes.
  • @Leytuhas & @NoomiZ ... and @ anyone else who thinks this is terrible:

Are you kidding? This idea rewards investing in lots of diverse toons. Those players who have lots of good toons do better than those who have a few great toons if a couple of those great toons get excluded.

This rewards a different style of play than most play modes. But you get to play Arena every single day. If you like the few-great/meta-toons style of play, you still have Arena literally every freaking day.

I'm of the opinion that more styles of play need to be rewarded. Why? I think it's good business for EA/CG: it increases the fan base if players that prefer a different style of play get their time to shine, get their time to be valuable to their guild.

I'm dependable in my guild, but I don't finish top 3 tank. I have to work my tushy off to finish top 10 Sith (which I usually don't bother to do, because I have a family and other commitments). I also let my kids help me figure out which toons to work on because that creates a little bit of family fun every once in a while even if it means that chasing the meta is a bit harder for me. I've got a much more diverse roster than others in my guild, but I have a ton of g8-g10 toons where others have fewer toons total, but more at g12.

This takes me from dependable, but replaceable/expendable to - if the community vote goes hard against the meta - a key member of the guild.

It also, and I think this is more important than anything, will get people scrambling on guild chat to figure out what the best teams are that we can field without Toon X, Y, or Z.

it gets people talking to each other, maybe collaborating/cooperating a bit more. it gets people figuring out how to use their Sith when Traya is gone or their Resistance with no JTR. In short, the sudden absence of toons is going to have people trying to actively brainstorm new strategies, rather than relying on the same-old-same-old. Creativity! New teams! Trying out that dusty Droid squad! Yes!

The very, very hard part is that a good number of the people who worked hard to get the meta toons will feel cheated. That's sad. I wish that wouldn't happen, but you know that there are enough people investing in the meta that some people are going to feel that way.

But this doesn't make those toons useless. There are all kinds of places to use your meta toons - including in Arena every single day.

This is good for the game, it provides rewards for players who adopt strategies other than chasing the meta, and makes your less valuable guild members more valuable to your cooperative/community success.

Maybe you won't like it. Maybe you'll be one of the folks whose performance in TW drops. But there are a lot of players, and not all of us are meta-or-die. Not all of us are about individual success at the expense of others. Not all of us are only about competition.

This helps provide variety in our experience. It doesn't kill off meta toons. It doesn't make them useless. It just gives other toons - and possibly other players - a chance to come out from under the meta shadow and get their own chance to shine in one single game mode.

Spreading the wealth is a good thing for the 10 million fan player base, even if it's a design choice that doesn't boost your performance specifically.

I personally am on the record on these forums multiple times not advocating against the Arena or the phenomenon of meta toons, but for diversity in play modes. Creativity. Love for all the toons, not just a few.

I would never have predicted this, but I think this is a great experiment.

This is true. I remember the first TWs with a lot of undeveloped Teams and the option to use your full rooster before youtube and reddit was full of Meta Teams and counters.

Keep calm everybody.

Its one TW and most high end gamers should realize that they (or a bunch of forum post) arent the player base. In fact a lot of Players will enjoy this "Limited" mode. Remember it will also affect the other guild so all fight with the same disadvantage and a wide rooster and a flexibel tactic will shine. If you cant think out of the box you are doomed (for one TW)
  • I read the posts here and on Reddit and I really cannot believe my eyes. Am I really the only one that likes the changes? I think it's a great concept! (and that comes from a guy that is responsible for our guild TW tactics - and our score is 14:2, so I'm not the worst one out there...)
    Why is it good?
    1 - It forces to think outside the box
    2 - It forces to dig deeper in the roster and play the characters that you wouldn't normaly play
    3 - In contrary to GA, it promotes the wide roster of characters
    4 - It negates the attitude "I will tune down my GP, get the mods out, I'll focus on 3 meta teams"

And to deal with the common claims...
    1- OMG, I levelled / invested in character X, it's my best toon, it's useless now!!!
    - No. it is't useless. It is useless in this particular TW ONLY

2 - I cannot use my team X! It is my best team! I am useless for TW
    - No, you are not. You are exactly on the same boat that your opponent is. And you were simply caught by surprise. Like all of us. Not the first and not the last time in this game...

3 - All i did, was done having TW in mind. Now you destroy all of my work. The **** that get their Ewoks are the winners! Abomination!!
    - Look at the points above. It's one time only, applies to everybody. Moreover - wasn't it the same thing with C-3PO event? You were just cauht by surprise, not the first time in the world...

Why don't you chill and enjoy something different? Especially that it is not permanent...

I totally agree with you i think it makes tw different and i enjoy the idea hopefully it carries to ships also if the pilot is not usable hopefully no houndstooth or chimera will make it more interesting also
This discussion has been closed.