Recommendation: Non-Sequential Raid Phases

starwarsanv
9 posts Member
edited January 2019
Currently I'm in a competitive but casual guild. Overall it fits my life well, but one thing that bites is that raid times are often in the middle of the day when I'm at work. Sure, I could just find a guild with all its raids in the evenings. While that's one solution, I like my guild and I'd really prefer it if raids just worked differently.

Here's my suggestion:
  1. The raid starts, and all phases occur simultaneously. There's no unlocking a phase to go the next one.
  2. Players have 24 hours to do the maximum amount of damage they can in each phase, up to the max total of damage needed to clear the phase.
  3. Teams are used up between phases, so you can't double dip a team between phases.
  4. If the guild achieves the damage threshold to defeat each phase, then rewards are disbursed at the end of the 24 hour period.

This would lengthen the amount of time to receive rewards, but it would have the upshot of allowing more raid participation.

It would also disable fully clearing a raid on auto with one team.

I think people are used to the existing raids having a defined format, so I'm good with leaving them alone. But for new raids, I think this new format is worth considering.

Replies

• Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Yes, it could help some guilds, but it wouldn't feel right for me. So... no thanx.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    The problem here is that players will end up putting up higher scores. Not sure it this is really a problem, but it is likely to happen.

This will also lead to issues with soloing, since you wont just lock into the raid, you wont be able to use 1 team all the way through.

It would not work to change any existing raid to this style, but maybe a new one. There is no carry over, which isnt much damage but in many cases can mean the difference between you and the 1 person ahead of you.
  • @Waqui - Thanks for the feedback.

@Kyno - Thank you for considering the implications in more detail. I don't see the problem with players posting higher scores. I agree that there is no carryover, but similar to the higher score, I don't see how that's an issue so much as a feature of the new format.

I do see how it would prevent a 1 team solo. As previously stated I concur that it makes this new suggested format unsuitable for an existing raid. However, I see it as worthwhile to consider for a future raid format.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Kyno - Thank you for considering the implications in more detail. I don't see the problem with players posting higher scores. I agree that there is no carryover, but similar to the higher score, I don't see how that's an issue so much as a feature of the new format.

I do see how it would prevent a 1 team solo. As previously stated I concur that it makes this new suggested format unsuitable for an existing raid. However, I see it as worthwhile to consider for a future raid format.

The problem with no carry over is that raids are competitive. that damage not carry over means a good team is not dropping the scores they could.

its not really a raid, its 4 separate raids. so might as well just be a single "punching bag" raid and just let everyone run out the teams they want to see who can put up the most points.
  • I disagree that it's not a raid, and I disagree that it's not competitive.

Rather, it's a discussion around what's the best raid experience. Yes, the format would mean that you can't carryover from one phase to the next.

However, that just means that to max your scores, you need a minimum of four good teams instead of one. Is that a problem? That means it's still competitive, it's just going to take at least four teams to compete instead of one.