The gear end game problem

The introduction of GA has had us all peeking into our opponent's accounts for information. One thing I noticed recently is how many more post g12 pieces I have compared to alot of the people I go up against. I also have noticed a correlation between those who have Traya and those who don't and how many post g12 pieces the tend to have.

It's clear to me that many players are struggling to get those g12 pieces since the HSTR reward nerfs and even I used to think I didn't have enough post g12 pieces, compared to alot of my opponents I look like a whale.

This raises a couple of issues about gear. First of all getting from g11 to g12 is very difficult. Alot of those transitional pieces are hard to craft often times requiring stun guns, stun cuffs, gold balls, ect, the usual bottleneck suspects. Some characters required 2-3 of those transitional pieces just to reach g12. Once you're at g12 you now have a whole new wall of items to overcome. The left side items aren't too difficult to aquire, at least for those of us who get a decent placement in the Sith raid. Those who don't even have a guild capable of finishing the heroic Sith raid, they are left behind day after day.

The left side of the g12 pieces isn't a huge problem overall, but the right side and the two pieces there are incredibly difficult to get even for those who do place decently at the HSTR. This leads us to the second problem which is what happens when g13 arrives one day?

I find myself terrified at the possibility of g13. Months after the right side pieces of g12 have been introduced to the game, I find myself with only 2 characters who have both of them. This raises the question; is g12 the final step of the gearing process? I would absolutely want to know the answer to this question and the only one who knows is it the developers.

If the answer is yes then I'm ok with how difficult it is to get those final two right side pieces but if the answer is no then I don't think the game is going to be headed towards a good direction.

Currently upon release, a character has to overcome 11 gear tiers to get to g12 where they are slowed down for months. If g13 is introduced then getting a new character from 1 to 13 will be a process that's going to take so long that just the thought of it could make players so discouraged that they may consider quitting. There's enough bottleneck for stun guns as it is, adding additional gear tiers will make this over the top. We already have to take a character to g12 just to have the ability to put 6 dot mods on them and most players are stuck on g11 due to lack of stun guns. Being in a position where not only do you have to overcome g11 but also gear 12 to get to the end stage of 13 sounds like way too much effort.

I'm noticing a surprising number of players without Darth Traya through GA and this mean that these players whose GP is over 3.3 million, either aren't doing the sith raid or they have only recently started to be able to do it. This means they are not going to have enough g12 pieces to even fill the left side of g12, for most of their characters, let alone the right side.

With all of that I think that we need to make g12 the end game gear for the game and g13 should never come. Release the 6th piece some time in the future but don't make the gear tier upgradable, just leave it there. That's my advice and I hope the devs take this seriously.

Replies

• I am a gp 3.2m player, every opponents I faced in GA running at least 2-3 super weak teams (ie, gp 60k ewoks without zeta) at their defences.

I dont see g12's problems here...
  • I’ve thought the same thing, but make no mistake - the game and characters will have to progress in the years to come, and this popular, profitable game is likely to run for many more.

G12+ in any serious quantity is a whale privilege at the moment, enabled via weekly shipments, so any G13 upgrade would be fairly exclusive.

But they can solve this problem by changing the Sith Raid reward structure in the future, or by bringing out a newer raid that hands out the current G12+ gear like candy.

If G12 was indeed the final gear tier, and I find it unlikely, then they could go the “red star” route as used in games like MSF and MFF, but don’t forget that we also have a bunch of mod tiers to progress through.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Even for people who aren't doing heroic sith, the left side pieces are obtainable from the GET store and TB rewards, so I don't see a big issue there unless people are just not choosing it or are in weak guilds for their GP level.

If they add a new gear tier, they will probably also be adding other means of obtaining the existing pieces, in the form of new raids or other types of events, and also over time heroic sith will become more accessible due to power creep outpacing it, the same as the other raids have.
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    Are you by any chance related to @PeteBajama ?
  • Huatimus wrote: »
    Are you by any chance related to @PeteBajama ?

More then related I suspect
  • The introduction of GA has had us all peeking into our opponent's accounts for information. One thing I noticed recently is how many more post g12 pieces I have compared to alot of the people I go up against. I also have noticed a correlation between those who have Traya and those who don't and how many post g12 pieces the tend to have.

It's clear to me that many players are struggling to get those g12 pieces since the HSTR reward nerfs and even I used to think I didn't have enough post g12 pieces, compared to alot of my opponents I look like a whale.

This raises a couple of issues about gear. First of all getting from g11 to g12 is very difficult. Alot of those transitional pieces are hard to craft often times requiring stun guns, stun cuffs, gold balls, ect, the usual bottleneck suspects. Some characters required 2-3 of those transitional pieces just to reach g12. Once you're at g12 you now have a whole new wall of items to overcome. The left side items aren't too difficult to aquire, at least for those of us who get a decent placement in the Sith raid. Those who don't even have a guild capable of finishing the heroic Sith raid, they are left behind day after day.

The left side of the g12 pieces isn't a huge problem overall, but the right side and the two pieces there are incredibly difficult to get even for those who do place decently at the HSTR. This leads us to the second problem which is what happens when g13 arrives one day?

I find myself terrified at the possibility of g13. Months after the right side pieces of g12 have been introduced to the game, I find myself with only 2 characters who have both of them. This raises the question; is g12 the final step of the gearing process? I would absolutely want to know the answer to this question and the only one who knows is it the developers.

If the answer is yes then I'm ok with how difficult it is to get those final two right side pieces but if the answer is no then I don't think the game is going to be headed towards a good direction.

Currently upon release, a character has to overcome 11 gear tiers to get to g12 where they are slowed down for months. If g13 is introduced then getting a new character from 1 to 13 will be a process that's going to take so long that just the thought of it could make players so discouraged that they may consider quitting. There's enough bottleneck for stun guns as it is, adding additional gear tiers will make this over the top. We already have to take a character to g12 just to have the ability to put 6 dot mods on them and most players are stuck on g11 due to lack of stun guns. Being in a position where not only do you have to overcome g11 but also gear 12 to get to the end stage of 13 sounds like way too much effort.

I'm noticing a surprising number of players without Darth Traya through GA and this mean that these players whose GP is over 3.3 million, either aren't doing the sith raid or they have only recently started to be able to do it. This means they are not going to have enough g12 pieces to even fill the left side of g12, for most of their characters, let alone the right side.

With all of that I think that we need to make g12 the end game gear for the game and g13 should never come. Release the 6th piece some time in the future but don't make the gear tier upgradable, just leave it there. That's my advice and I hope the devs take this seriously.

I feel like they haven't started thinking about the noobs until recently by updating the activities and etc. Im fairly new been playing since last jedi i didn't get my first g12 until around September cuz im completely f2p and my old guild was very small and that's around 10 months it's already hard enough to get g12+ as u said b4 and i feel like they will add g13 cuz they've opened more slots for g12+, they've teased it multiple times, and they've been putting out alot of g12 packs in the shop to everyone ready and for more money so in the end adding g13 would just be 4 the money but in reality it doesn't make since like u said earlier
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Nevermind g12+ pieces. Yeah, I want those. But I have 47 characters needing Mark V Stun Guns. 47.

I have 3 g8 teams with zeta leaders. I can't upgrade them because because of stun guns and cuffs.

Just between Solo, OR and BH toons released last year that is around 20 new toons to gear. But the drop and store ratio hasn't changed.

I build for TW and now GA so that is why I have so many mid level teams. Happy to have them. But the current mid-gear drops are balanced around pre-GA (and probably around pre-TW) gear needs. Needs to change.

For kicks:

113ftm112ijj.gif
  • Nema
    136 posts Member
    If someone wants to compete at the top level in GA and wants the g12 pieces that the op mentions, they need to consider moving to a guild that can complete heroic sith raid. If they don't want to move guild then they can't complain about not competing and gearing at the same pace. It's a choice. They can have fun with their guild mates and work towards heroic in their own time. No harm in it
  • shhfiftyfive
    98 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    they're unlikely to reduce this stun gun issue. because they don't seem to care that it is strangling us.
    best you can hope for is a "mythic raids" addition, where Mpit/Maat come along, with very amazing rewards.
    but also, the daily challenges haven't been updated in forever. the Mace TAC reward in particular is completely useless. the others barely have 1 needed item among the bunch.
    and just about every node in the game is giving out useless gear.
    cg knows all this. they do nothing. they still make insane profits.
    the entire game needs a loot table overhaul. it won't get one.
  • Why is the OP talking about Traya as being some sort of deal breaker. Hardly anyone in the top 50 runs Traya anymore. Its all Revan or CLS leads these days.

Plus she doesn't do much in raids.
  • Why is the OP talking about Traya as being some sort of deal breaker. Hardly anyone in the top 50 runs Traya anymore. Its all Revan or CLS leads these days.

Plus she doesn't do much in raids.

You completely missed the point, I mentioned Traya as an indication of being able to complete the HSTR. Completing the HSTR as opposed to tier 5 or 6 of the Sith raid means more gear and more g12+ pieces. That is the correlation I made, it has nothing to do with Traya's pvp capabilities
  • Nema wrote: »
    If someone wants to compete at the top level in GA and wants the g12 pieces that the op mentions, they need to consider moving to a guild that can complete heroic sith raid. If they don't want to move guild then they can't complain about not competing and gearing at the same pace. It's a choice. They can have fun with their guild mates and work towards heroic in their own time. No harm in it

I would tend to disagree with this even though i understand where it’s coming from. I personally feel like it’s a bit unfair i have to rely on someone else’s performances and efforts in the game for my own success in a solo game mode, especially so many people at such a high level. The HSTR is insanely hard to do for a casual guild not full of 2,5-3y veterans. I’ve been in my guild for over a year, since i’ve started the game. It’s a long time, i like it there. And i know i can’t realistically hope to complete hstr with them in the next 6 months unless we get very lucky with 2 or 3 random strong players joining.

By then i will be so far behind anyone with my gp who’s been in an hstr guild all along it’s even hard to imagine.

Changing guild like you change socks, some people don’t mind, some like me do. Plus it puts more pressure on other game modes. Basically if i want to do well in ga i have to do well in tb, tw, and all other multiplayer things because high lvl solo content is walled behind high lvl multi content.

Really not the end of the world but still i don’t think it’s as easy as « it’s a choice so you can’t complain. » it’s a choice i’m not making willingly so of course i can complain about it if i feel like it.
  • No to gear 13, can't even get toons to gear 12 due to the crunch...
  • TVF
    36594 posts Member
    It's only a matter of time though.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    As an aside - if more stun guns were awarded, more characters could be promoted to the gear 10-11 range. Then people my spend more to get that lovely and desirable gold ring. As it is now, people don't have a choice to promote many characters to g12 even if they want too.

I imagine that if given the choice between spending 20$ for crystals to promote someone from g9-10 or spend to promote someone from g11-12, more money would be sped on the g12 promotion.

Just sayin'.
  • Right now g10 and 11 gives you an advantage against opponents who are using g8 and 9. If you don’t see one unless it’s a different colour...then don’t gear them or save up or use crystals...and you will be at a disadvantage I guess.
  • I think it's plain to see that every fundamental aspect of this game has the capacity to be increased (gear level, player level, character level, ability level, mod level). The developers will NEVER say that g12 is the end, and why should they? G12 might be the end for the foreseeable future, just like level 85, but don't you want it to increase eventually? Don't you want SWGOH to be around three years from now, still introducing new and exciting content?
    Personally, I hope that this game is successful enough that one day I have level 100 characters at g15 with 7 dot mods. I just don't want that to happen for a long time.
  • Ikky2win
    870 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    It should all scale. Once g13 is released, I would think they would make g12+ easier to get. Once g14 is released, g13 will be easier to get, etc. I have 41 g12+ pieces at the moment but I’ve been placing in top 10 of hsr for quite awhile. I imagine what will happen is when g13 is released, the Top 10 rewards we see now in hsr will become available for like top 30. Something along those lines.