Delete mods in Inbox

When i am farming mods
Sometimes i get over the limit
But i dont want them
So i have to wait 3 days until it gets delete.

Replies

• Ultra
    11491 posts Moderator
    Sell, collect and sell
  • I do agree that deleting from the inbox would be nice. But it's likely more complex than we're assuming due to the fact that multiple mods can be in a single mail.
  • I do agree that deleting from the inbox would be nice. But it's likely more complex than we're assuming due to the fact that multiple mods can be in a single mail.[/quLast

last time i had 20 mails ^^
  • Some of these events give 4 dot grey mods. It isn't worth it for me to go in and sell a mod just to free up space for a mod I'm just going to get rid of instantly, and yet then I have to leave it in my inbox for 3 days, which is really annoying. The best solution is to remove the mod inventory limit altogether, then this would not be a problem. Why limit the number of mods we can hold?
  • Sewpot
    2010 posts Member
    And loadouts. Why limit those.
  • Some of these events give 4 dot grey mods. It isn't worth it for me to go in and sell a mod just to free up space for a mod I'm just going to get rid of instantly, and yet then I have to leave it in my inbox for 3 days, which is really annoying. The best solution is to remove the mod inventory limit altogether, then this would not be a problem. Why limit the number of mods we can hold?

Millions of players means the space required to save a file is multiplied by billions. In other words, they would require lots and lots more server space to give us unlimited mods, and increasing the amount of data the game has to sift through will slow it down as well.

There is no such thing as unlimited in software. Endless, yes, unlimited no. Everything that is kept a tally of has a limit.
  • Woodroward wrote: »
    Some of these events give 4 dot grey mods. It isn't worth it for me to go in and sell a mod just to free up space for a mod I'm just going to get rid of instantly, and yet then I have to leave it in my inbox for 3 days, which is really annoying. The best solution is to remove the mod inventory limit altogether, then this would not be a problem. Why limit the number of mods we can hold?

Millions of players means the space required to save a file is multiplied by billions. In other words, they would require lots and lots more server space to give us unlimited mods, and increasing the amount of data the game has to sift through will slow it down as well.

There is no such thing as unlimited in software. Endless, yes, unlimited no. Everything that is kept a tally of has a limit.

There are no in-game limits for gear pieces, credits, training droids, sim tickets, crystals, etc. Or at least the limits are so large that no player is known to have encountered them.
    Some of these events give 4 dot grey mods. It isn't worth it for me to go in and sell a mod just to free up space for a mod I'm just going to get rid of instantly, and yet then I have to leave it in my inbox for 3 days, which is really annoying. The best solution is to remove the mod inventory limit altogether, then this would not be a problem. Why limit the number of mods we can hold?

There are no in-game limits for gear pieces, credits, training droids, sim tickets, crystals, etc. Or at least the limits are so large that no player is known to have encountered them.

None of those things are unique in each instance. All they have to do is increment a counter for them. Mods are all unique (not really but the odds of two mods rolling the exact same stats are so low they are basically unique). There's a lot more information they have to store for each mod.
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Woodroward wrote: »

It's the 2nd part. Limits are so large, no one has encountered them.
    Storage space has to be coded for. There's only as much space as has been coded for.

Mods take up a lot more space than gear pieces though. Gear pieces all are exactly the same, but each mod is unique. This means that each one has to have unique identifier code, plus record it's level, rarity, and each stat.

The amount of space used to record mods instead of increasing a number by 1 like they do for gear pieces is several orders of magnitude larger. Increasing a number by 1 may not even take up any more memory if the overall number of digits remains the same. at most it'll increase it one digit.

Each mod would require at least 15 digits, plus the number of digits in the unique identifier code, which is likely somewhere in the double digits in length itself. It's way more memory intensive.
  • If it doesn’t have speed somewhere, I sell it. Cleaned it all up forever ago and I maintain it, haven’t had the inbox clutter in a long time.

Storage space has to be coded for. There's only as much space as has been coded for.

Mods take up a lot more space than gear pieces though. Gear pieces all are exactly the same, but each mod is unique. This means that each one has to have unique identifier code, plus record it's level, rarity, and each stat.

The amount of space used to record mods instead of increasing a number by 1 like they do for gear pieces is several orders of magnitude larger. Increasing a number by 1 may not even take up any more memory if the overall number of digits remains the same. at most it'll increase it one digit.

Each mod would require at least 15 digits, plus the number of digits in the unique identifier code, which is likely somewhere in the double digits in length itself. It's way more memory intensive.

Ok that's a really good point. I still think the mod inventory limit is too small though. I'm always frustrated because I'm constantly needing to sell mods to make more space, and I'm running out of mods that don't have speed secondaries to sell. Soon I will need to start selling mods I would rather keep, like mods with +4 speed or whatever.

Ok that's a really good point. I still think the mod inventory limit is too small though. I'm always frustrated because I'm constantly needing to sell mods to make more space, and I'm running out of mods that don't have speed secondaries to sell. Soon I will need to start selling mods I would rather keep, like mods with +4 speed or whatever.

It's interesting. There's 168 characters in the game who can each wear 6 mods, which means there's room for 1008 mods to be equipped on characters, plus room for 1000 in the inventory. I think 2000 mods is a good enough limit myself. It's enough space to have 2 complete sets of mods for every character (well pretty close anyway only 165 characters can have 2 sets, 3 will only have 1).

I would suggest that if you really have 2000 mods with speed on them, I would start focusing on other stats along with the speed rather than hoarding the worst of the speed mods (like +4 speed or something).
  • Would be great QOL Improvement. Please add a Mod Sell Button into the Inbox.

Thx a lot :)
  • Stanleyclimbfall
    165 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    One thing they should add is a sell button as an option after after you farm. This way your mod storage does not need to be filled up.
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    Would like if they added upgrade to inbox too. I would sell all non 5 dot... but id like to upgrade to see if it has speed without having to add to inventory and then clear out
  • I sell all gray mods except speed arrows and anoy mods with no speed unless it has high offense for a specific build but after mods hit lets say blue/purple and the speed is till at less then 5 for blue or 8 for purple i will still sell it cause i bump or less out of 2 to 3 bumps possible even if sliced to gold speeds will probably be about 12 or less but if i get a 12 on a gold without slicing ill keep it but not wasting slicing matts on ok possible mods

i stopped farming mods a bit ago just to farm slicing mats to improve the mods that have a good chance to hit 15+ speed but hopping for 20+ speed secendaries. Could just farm slicing matts instead of mods to increase your mods
  • MntMan
    281 posts Member
    To me I don't think the issue is the mods stacking up in the inbox, which is annoying. I wish there was just a better way to sort mods when selling. Like sort by number of dots, level, sort by mods that don't have a certain stat (we can sort by those that do, but for selling it doesn't help) and the ability to upgrade a mod on the sell screen right away. As an example if I sort for all 5 dot arrow mods that don't have a speed primary, but I see one that has a health primary and protection secondary in it but it's level one maybe I want to level it up right away and see if it's worth it. If it is I don't sell it. If not then maybe I put the ole checkbox and keep chucking.

To me the better QOL would be to improve how selling mods works. Seems like an easier fix too. Just more filters.
  • At least add an option to sort by recently added, so you can just sell them right away after you collected if you want
  • StarWarsWantsTooMuch
    127 posts Member
    edited January 2019

not sure what world you live in but space is cheap and as a major gaming company its kinda laughable if that is the reason because they dont have the space to store text that could be in hexidecimal and take little to no space.

now the memory issue when you go over 500 mods could be an issue but with filters and ways to display pages and call upon those pages memory isnt an issue if you can code properly and efficiently.

these mod limits are ignoramus at best and anyone that tries to justify why we have a 500 mod limit imo usually doesnt understand technology. imo the developers dont really care about quality of life functionality and are too busy focusing on changing game by nerfing things and destroying tw.

they could get alot of positive comments and fix some of the frustration if they focused on quality of life changes. the game is 3 years old and the fact they still dont understand the basics shocks me to be honest

not sure what world you live in but space is cheap and as a major gaming company its kinda laughable if that is the reason because they dont have the space to store text that could be in hexidecimal and take little to no space.

now the memory issue when you go over 500 mods could be an issue but with filters and ways to display pages and call upon those pages memory isnt an issue if you can code properly and efficiently.

these mod limits are ignoramus at best and anyone that tries to justify why we have a 500 mod limit imo usually doesnt understand technology. imo the developers dont really care about quality of life functionality and are too busy focusing on changing game by nerfing things and destroying tw.

they could get alot of positive comments and fix some of the frustration if they focused on quality of life changes. the game is 3 years old and the fact they still dont understand the basics shocks me to be honest

Not sure what world you live in, but a little bit of space adds up quick when you are talking about millions of players. No one was justifying anything, I was explaining why they have a limit. Mods each being unique makes them memory intensive.

Saving it in hexadecimal doesn't save space, it's an obfuscation/pattern technique for easier processing and hiding methods that actually takes up more space.

The function that exists to translate from hexadecimal (or some alphanumeric representation allowing them to compress multiple digits into fewer, which would actually decrease the space needed instead of increasing it like hexadecimal would) will take extra processing power, it will have to be run every time anyone looks at a mod.

One way or another increasing the mod limit by any meaningful amount will necessitate a large memory increase: either storage, or active. Either way it will likely affect game performance.

And, as I said earlier, we have plenty of mod space as it is. If you are constantly hitting your cap, one of 3 things is true:
    1. You are too lazy to throw away mods
    2. You are hanging onto mods that aren't worth hanging onto
    3. You just let mods sit around instead of putting them on people.

Oftentimes it is all 3.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

A limit of 500 keeps players actively engaged with their mods. A higher limit starts to make managing them and sorting them to look at what's available a more daunting task. If the limit is too high players will never get through or want to go through what they have, making it pointless to have a limit that high.

As someone who sounds like they may know a thing or two about programming, you should know that the UX is a huge driving force behind how many things programmed these days, especially in gaming. Creating a never ending wall of anything that the player has to deal with is never a good idea, keeping the data a manageable size is a very useful driving force to keep things flowing smoothly.
  • I wish they would up the amount of mods we can carry in our inventory. Everyone of my toons are fully modded and my inventory if I’m not mistaken holds 500 mods. The mods in my inventory are too decent to sell and once I’d get the materials to upgrade them they will only get better.

It’s hard to farm mods when you constantly have to move out the bad ones, sell them, then collect what’s in your inbox.
  • Time to clean house.
  • StarWarsWantsTooMuch
    127 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Kyno wrote: »

A limit of 500 keeps players actively engaged with their mods. A higher limit starts to make managing them and sorting them to look at what's available a more daunting task. If the limit is too high players will never get through or want to go through what they have, making it pointless to have a limit that high.

As someone who sounds like they may know a thing or two about programming, you should know that the UX is a huge driving force behind how many things programmed these days, especially in gaming. Creating a never ending wall of anything that the player has to deal with is never a good idea, keeping the data a manageable size is a very useful driving force to keep things flowing smoothly.

i agree with your statement but as a whale who has +11 speed or more on all my chars and loads of greens, blues, and purples with speed on them that i am years behind on mod slicing gear to catch up. why should i sell mods that have speed secondary with potential to hit and become a better mod if i dont have to?

thats the reverse to the statement. its a huge never ending wall every event trying to figure out what mods to sell just to see if others come with better intial slicing potential. the statements of laziness and duanting tasks is for the weak and feeble mind. the real way some people look at this is the devs are lazy and the game is too small for a powerful hardcore player. technology can handle mod expansion and if there is performance issues its because of poor coding and design. as just a comparission a nintendo switch has less processing power and memory than the top of the line cell phone and i could list many games or inventory modes that display more than 500 of something efficiently. i could go back to some of the playstation 1 and xbox area and find games that can easily handle the performance aspects. in the land of a gaming, companies that are starting to understand the changing dynamics companies cannot sit on their hands and fall behind. thats whats happening here imo.

every event to some players gets lost because they dont spend as much time playing the event as they do wasting time scouring through their mods deciding what petty mods they have to sell.

things like this is actually what holds up people from spending money. any smart programmer would fix this.