Why the stun gun bottleneck is a pointless illusion!

Prev1
I was thinking about all the stun guns I don't have to complete my immediate gearing needs and one thing I realized something that kind of shook me in a way. I realized that the stun gun bottleneck is nothing but an illusion!

Stun guns often times present a wall for upgrading gear tier. Many characters are stuck at g8-9-10-11 due to missing a stun gun so I thought, what if I had all the stun guns I needed to get everyone up a gear tier? The realization hit me at that moment, having enough stun guns to upgrade all my characters who need them would only get them all stuck on the next gear level! I would simply not have enough Nubian raid pieces or furnaces for all of these characters! I would still have to wait for the raid drops to get enough of those.

It's not like I have stock piles of thousands of salvages to fulfill their needs. After the legendary events that recently required us to use Bounty Hunters for Chewbacca and Ewoks for 3PO, it forced us to use all of our saved up raid gear, even challenge gear like syringes and carbantis. This indicates a deeper problem in the gearing process that stun guns only help to MASK. We put all of our attention on the lack of stun guns that we forget about all the other pieces, creating this illusion that stun guns are the real problem when in reality raid gear is the problem altogether. GA has definitely exposed that since being able to finalize squads is almost impossible.

Replies

• Nope. Not buying it. It’s stun guns (and carbanatis)..
  • Gannon
    1626 posts Member
    Lol I'm stuck on furnaces and holo projectors atm.. Could always use stun guns and carbantis tho too, but it's less pressing
  • Even if you do get past the stun guns , good luck on the gold eyeballs
  • Yeah once you get past that stun gun, you will need like 3 or 4 more to finish off one toon. They are absolutely a huge gear bottle neck
  • Uhh speak for yourself.
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • I was thinking about all the stun guns I don't have to complete my immediate gearing needs and one thing I realized something that kind of shook me in a way. I realized that the stun gun bottleneck is nothing but an illusion!

Stun guns often times present a wall for upgrading gear tier. Many characters are stuck at g8-9-10-11 due to missing a stun gun so I thought, what if I had all the stun guns I needed to get everyone up a gear tier? The realization hit me at that moment, having enough stun guns to upgrade all my characters who need them would only get them all stuck on the next gear level! I would simply not have enough Nubian raid pieces or furnaces for all of these characters! I would still have to wait for the raid drops to get enough of those.

It's not like I have stock piles of thousands of salvages to fulfill their needs. After the legendary events that recently required us to use Bounty Hunters for Chewbacca and Ewoks for 3PO, it forced us to use all of our saved up raid gear, even challenge gear like syringes and carbantis. This indicates a deeper problem in the gearing process that stun guns only help to MASK. We put all of our attention on the lack of stun guns that we forget about all the other pieces, creating this illusion that stun guns are the real problem when in reality raid gear is the problem altogether. GA has definitely exposed that since being able to finalize squads is almost impossible.

And the hyperbolic nonsense continues,

Nice well written load of junk,, raid gear, which your story points to rancor gear, is the least important needed gear there is.
  • Jarvind
    3925 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    It's moreso that:

A: Virtually every character that needs stun guns also needs carbantis, and you need carbantis to make stun guns. So you need twice as much of the same resource.

B: Almost every single character in the game needs multiples both of these pieces. I honestly can't think of a single character that I've G12'd that didn't need multiple sensor arrays and at least one stun gun. That's why they're so much more of a pain than everything else. Mk3 holo projectors, for example, are pretty commonly needed, but it's rare that anyone needs more than a couple of them. I'm usually sitting on enough salvage to crank out four or five just from various farms and event rewards.

Meanwhile there are scads of characters that need hundreds of total carbanti salvage, between sensor arrays and stun guns. I'm sitting on 220 or so right now because I've been hoarding them for Revan's return, and that's only a bit over half of what he needs in total to reach G12. My Stick Rey is sitting at gear 11 and has been for ages, because I just can't justify sinking three (!!!) stun guns into her for a single gear level to get her to 12.

In conclusion, I can understand the logic you followed to get to your conclusion, but it's just wrong.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Solution:
    1) Buy Carbanti factory
    2) Profit!!!
  • If you dont have 168 7* G12 the line from CG will just be 'spend more'

• theatomicpun
    492 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    The point of all of this is that this game is about resource management. Management because unless you spend gobs of money, you will always be at a deficit.

So always plan out your gearing in advance. Identify the team you want, assess the total gear needs, stockpile all that gear until you are ready to pull the trigger and go straight from g7 to g12. You never know if there will be a bigger priority that pops up, and if you do it this way you'll have a stockpile of gear as opposed to 5 toons stuck in g8-g10 purgatory.
  • 3pourr2
    1927 posts Member
    Cant believe no one has said “nice try CG” yet 😆
  • Drago5760 wrote: »
    Nope. Not buying it. It’s stun guns (and carbanatis)..

Think of every character you have that needs a stun gun to get past let's say gear 8 or 9. They all are definitely going to to need a bunch of gold balls each right?

They are gonna need some of the haat gear that can only be found from haat. The reason you haven't spent all if that gear yet is because your characters are stuck at gear 8-9 and haven't had the ability to use that gear yet. If the game allowed you to have unlimited stun guns your characters would still end up getting stuck at gear 9-10 because you would run out of haat gear at which point it would become your new bottleneck.

@GhostTruckin "hyperbolic nonsense"? How is rancor and haat raid gear not important when every character needs it? Perhaps you have played long enough to have taken care of those long time ago. All I know that after Chewbacca and 3PO I used all of my rancor gear and I'm back at 0. Tried to gear up Jango Fett and I got stuck at gear 9 and I'm fairly certain that old republic and solo characters of which I haven't geared any but Bastila yet, will all require it.
  • It’s simple, the three main bottlenecks are stun guns, mk3 and mk8 components, raid gear, especially rancor and tank will accrue fast enough that you don’t run out. Until you try gear too much at once I suppose, but most likely. If you run enough raids a week that goes away long long long before you even start to understand the sheer volume of those three that you need.

As for OR, iirc they are not that bad to gear up actually.
  • Just as a tip 5-E fleet battles drops stun guns like getting shards from 8 energy cantina nodes
  • Drago5760 wrote: »
    Nope. Not buying it. It’s stun guns (and carbanatis)..

Think of every character you have that needs a stun gun to get past let's say gear 8 or 9. They all are definitely going to to need a bunch of gold balls each right?

They are gonna need some of the haat gear that can only be found from haat. The reason you haven't spent all if that gear yet is because your characters are stuck at gear 8-9 and haven't had the ability to use that gear yet. If the game allowed you to have unlimited stun guns your characters would still end up getting stuck at gear 9-10 because you would run out of haat gear at which point it would become your new bottleneck.

@GhostTruckin "hyperbolic nonsense"? How is rancor and haat raid gear not important when every character needs it? Perhaps you have played long enough to have taken care of those long time ago. All I know that after Chewbacca and 3PO I used all of my rancor gear and I'm back at 0. Tried to gear up Jango Fett and I got stuck at gear 9 and I'm fairly certain that old republic and solo characters of which I haven't geared any but Bastila yet, will all require it.

Your logic doesn't make sense. If everyone had unlimited stun guns the bottleneck would be something else, obviously, and if they had unlimited of that something else, another thing would stop them. I don't really get your point.
  • The real issue here is that i need more stun guns.
  • The release of new chars compared to the rate of gear drops, thats the issue.
    Then the rewards given in GA TW Raids is insignificant. Something needs to improve in order to catch up, or not, however you want to run the ship.
    I understand its a balancing act but as each new release comes out, people are getting further and further behind.
  • T4NM4N26
    124 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Carbantis are the real bottleneck. Carbantis are needed for what 4-6 different pieces of gear? Stun guns are needed for 2. I have no problem farming stun guns. I buy them in the GE, shard shop and guild store every time they show up. Same thing with carbantis though. I wish they would just create a bronzium pack that was 50k ally points that you could spend to get one fully crafted carbanti. There's just such a need for carbantis and the drops in the challenges just don't cut it.
  • Ultra
    11491 posts Moderator
    T4NM4N26 wrote: »
    Carbantis are the real bottleneck. Carbantis are needed for what 4-6 different pieces of gear? Stun guns are needed for 2. I have no problem farming stun guns. I buy them in the GE, shard shop and guild store every time they show up. Same thing with carbantis though. I wish they would just create a bronzium pack that was 50k ally points that you could spend to get one fully crafted carbanti. There's just such a need for carbantis and the drops in the challenges just don't cut it.
    Carbanti's are not a bottle neck because you can get them from weekly challenges, Rancor raid, guild store, shard shop etc.

Stun Gun is only available in the heroic rancor, shard shop, GET store and its very rare for it to show up in the three places

Carbantis have more nodes where it can appear in the guild store as oppose to the single node where stun gun MIGHT appear during the 4 refreshes per day at the GET store
  • I see many people have completely missed my point with this post.

At no point did I say that stun guns aren't a bottleneck, probably the biggest one too. What I'm explaining is that it's not the only bottleneck but it's so strong that it basically masks all others.

I specifically mentioned that the reason why the other bottlenecks aren't as obvious is because you don't ever get there since the stun guns are a bottleneck that comes usually earlier and prevents you from getting to those.
  • Nobody has mentioned the real **** move by CG to make stun guns part of G12+ gear.

• Nobody has mentioned the real **** move by CG to make stun guns part of G12+ gear.

Don’t forget mk3 and mk8 being parts as well.
  • I do find it annoying that we have to use gear like cuffs, stun guns and gold balls to craft post g12 pieces
  • Ultra
    11491 posts Moderator
    Nobody has mentioned the real **** move by CG to make stun guns part of G12+ gear.
    Yeah that's a real kitten move

I don't think a lot of people go around adding g12+ gear so its not widely mentioned
  • I was thinking about all the stun guns I don't have to complete my immediate gearing needs and one thing I realized something that kind of shook me in a way. I realized that the stun gun bottleneck is nothing but an illusion!

There are numerous items that are always needed and hard to get. If anything it is an open secret that once you have enough gear of one type to upgrade toons you run into the next bottleneck.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    I see many people have completely missed my point with this post.

At no point did I say that stun guns aren't a bottleneck, probably the biggest one too. What I'm explaining is that it's not the only bottleneck but it's so strong that it basically masks all others.

I specifically mentioned that the reason why the other bottlenecks aren't as obvious is because you don't ever get there since the stun guns are a bottleneck that comes usually earlier and prevents you from getting to those.

Nobody thinks they are the only bottleneck. If the bottleneck was removed there would be other ones instead. Agreed.

None of that leads to the conclusion you reached that the stun gun bottleneck is a pointless illusion. It is very, very real.
  • Until you have a roster that is replete with fully geared G12+ toons, you will have a limiting resource. For most rosters, it's Carbs/Guns but it completely depends on what you're building. Geo Soldier, for example, doesn't require a single Carbanti to get to G12, but Sun Fac needs 11 of them. I went through a ton of syringes gearing Bounty Hunters for Chewie because....that faction needs a lot of syringes for whatever reason (just like the Sith and their Droid Callers affinity).

For many players, raid gear doesn't feel like a bottleneck anymore because we've been playing long enough that we have more than enough of it relative to the stuff we're missing the most (carbs / guns / implants).

Also, what you've been farming plays a role. I'm sitting on 250 Stun Cuffs right now, thank you Hounds Tooth.

There will always be a limiting resource. It will differ depending on what you're building and where you are in the game lifecycle. For many of us, it's carbs / guns / implants.
  • It’s definitely a bottleneck. With infinite stun guns the time and effort to get most of the other similar-level gear would be relatively minor. (Remember with infinite stun guns all the resources devoted to stun guns could be focused elsewhere.) Their own actions selling them for 2500 crystals each suggest it’s an intentional bottleneck. I’m fine with it. Somehow it doesn’t feel as obnoxious as WoW bottlenecks.
  • I'm stuck on enfys nest gear 11. She needs three stun guns and three golden balls.
  • If there were no gear bottlenecks then everyone would have yellow accords the board - no roster differentiation.
    The bottlenecks force us to make choices on farms and on where to spend crystals and which characters to focus on.
    Maybe we focus on stun guns and carbantis and gold balls so much because this game makes some of the other parts TOO accessible. If they were all in short supply we would just feel like gearing up takes time and requires hard choices.
    Let’s make the rest of the gear harder to get!
    Or we can leave it the way it is and use crystals and farming for those few gear pieces we seem to always be lacking :)