Motivation

Zhil_Axfow23
75 posts Member
edited January 2019
We need some sort of reward for deploying in each phase. Getting guild members to contribute is like beating a dead horse. We have players that will do special missions and that is it. Eventually a player in chat will beg and plead for everyone to go deploy in hopes of getting another star. It just gives a negative experience to the game mode.
Post edited by Zhil_Axfow23 on

Replies

• TVF
    36591 posts Member
    We need some sort of reward for deploying in each phase. Getting guild members to contribute is like beating a dead horse.

Sorry to say that you probably either need to boot the bottom of your guild, or if the bottom of your guild is most of your guild, find a better guild.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Agreed. Even being in a casual guild it makes me a bit sad people don’t do the minimum of deploying. Not saying they have to do battles even when deploying still ends up being a large chunk of points.
  • Our guild is very active in other aspects of the game.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Since deployments are locked when you reach 3* in a territory, no, we definitely do not need this.
  • When the territory reaches 3* everyone gets the bonus reward, done.
  • TVF
    36591 posts Member
    When the territory reaches 3* you get the third star, which increases your rewards. There's your motivation.
  • Jarvind
    3926 posts Member
    I feel you. We always have 5-6 people that don't bother to join territory wars, hit the Sith raid, or deploy in TB. And it's not always the same people so it's not like there are just a few leeches.

It's frustrating, but I stay put for now because I'm almost always top 3 in every raid, and the extra salvage really helps me gear up my squads. Eventually though I'll move on to a more serious group. You can't tell casuals to stop being casual. They're just not that into it.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• TVF
    36591 posts Member
    Jarvind wrote: »
    I feel you. We always have 5-6 people that don't bother to join territory wars, hit the Sith raid, or deploy in TB. And it's not always the same people so it's not like there are just a few leeches.

It's frustrating, but I stay put for now because I'm almost always top 3 in every raid, and the extra salvage really helps me gear up my squads. Eventually though I'll move on to a more serious group. You can't tell casuals to stop being casual. They're just not that into it.

I'm not moving guilds because I like yelling at people. ;)
  • OK I get it TVF your guild is flawless. 3* everything with no problems, 100% participation. I think I would be happy if these TB's just went away. It is a week long drag with multiple people being annoyed at a 1/4 of the guild that wont even do the minimum. And why should they. the rewards at the end don't vary that much give or take 5*s.
  • TVF
    36591 posts Member
    OK I get it TVF your guild is flawless. 3* everything with no problems, 100% participation. I think I would be happy if these TB's just went away. It is a week long drag with multiple people being annoyed at a 1/4 of the guild that wont even do the minimum. And why should they. the rewards at the end don't vary that much give or take 5*s.

Did you see the post where I said I yell at people?
  • We need some sort of reward for deploying in each phase. Getting guild members to contribute is like beating a dead horse. We have players that will do special missions and that is it. Eventually a player in chat will beg and plead for everyone to go deploy in hopes of getting another star. It just gives a negative experience to the game mode.

This is a problem in many guilds. You have to decide which is more important. Number of members, or number of members that contribute. I recently had to eat my own words and start enforcing our rules. Tough choices were made and I am not happy, but I do have the guild as a whole to think of. I can be in charge, or everyones friend. Not both.
  • TVF
    36591 posts Member
    We need some sort of reward for deploying in each phase. Getting guild members to contribute is like beating a dead horse. We have players that will do special missions and that is it. Eventually a player in chat will beg and plead for everyone to go deploy in hopes of getting another star. It just gives a negative experience to the game mode.

This is a problem in many guilds. You have to decide which is more important. Number of members, or number of members that contribute. I recently had to eat my own words and start enforcing our rules. Tough choices were made and I am not happy, but I do have the guild as a whole to think of. I can be in charge, or everyones friend. Not both.

This. Eventually you weed out the ones who don't listen, and the guild is better off for it.
  • TVF wrote: »
    OK I get it TVF your guild is flawless. 3* everything with no problems, 100% participation. I think I would be happy if these TB's just went away. It is a week long drag with multiple people being annoyed at a 1/4 of the guild that wont even do the minimum. And why should they. the rewards at the end don't vary that much give or take 5*s.

Yelling is not the answer. State the rules, and the consequences for not following them. Clearly and concisely. Then it is up to those not contributing. The rest see you are trying to motivate, and you have done all you can. A guild leader that yells at me can go pound sand. I'm not their kid.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    When the territory reaches 3* everyone gets the bonus reward, done.

No point in that. The problem is having to hound the people who don’t deploy. When I have to hound 10 people because we need 5 of them to deploy to get the third star, giving more rewards to the 3-4 people who continued to ignore me doesn’t provide a better incentive.
  • TVF
    36591 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »

Yelling is not the answer. State the rules, and the consequences for not following them. Clearly and concisely. Then it is up to those not contributing. The rest see you are trying to motivate, and you have done all you can. A guild leader that yells at me can go pound sand. I'm not their kid.

Exaggeration. I'm always polite. Believe it or not.

It's typically a "hey we noticed you've been inactive a few days and didn't notify anyone. Everything ok?" Usually we get back a "yeah sorry RL stuff" and we say it's fine, just let us know next time. Sometimes it's habitual and we eventually kick. Sometimes we get ignored and we kick.

"Yelling" is shorthand for that paragraph you just read.
  • TVF wrote: »

Exaggeration. I'm always polite. Believe it or not.

It's typically a "hey we noticed you've been inactive a few days and didn't notify anyone. Everything ok?" Usually we get back a "yeah sorry RL stuff" and we say it's fine, just let us know next time. Sometimes it's habitual and we eventually kick. Sometimes we get ignored and we kick.

"Yelling" is shorthand for that paragraph you just read.

My mistake, and my approach is pretty much the same. If members are pulled away by life, family, etc.. I offer them a rest in our development guild. Some have actually opted for it. And our dev guild has brought us two strong new members that were burnt out on the elitest guilds constant pressure. I remove members from main when we either mutually decide or when they have ignored requests to discuss things, and if it is a first time offense, (ignoring rules etc) I send them an invite to our dev guild.
  • Jarvind
    3926 posts Member
    Jarvind wrote: »

I'm not moving guilds because I like yelling at people. ;)

I used to do that in my MMO days, now I just don't have the energy to waste on people who will 99% of the time just do whatever they want anyway.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• OK I get it TVF your guild is flawless. 3* everything with no problems, 100% participation. I think I would be happy if these TB's just went away. It is a week long drag with multiple people being annoyed at a 1/4 of the guild that wont even do the minimum. And why should they. the rewards at the end don't vary that much give or take 5*s.

I sometimes come on these threads just to remind myself how much I love our guild. We are MEGA TB oriented. 44* on LS and 47* on DS. We’ve had to move a lot of members on over the lifespan of TB, but we are reaping the benefits now.

For this TB, we’ve brought in new rules, as a nod to burnout. Phases 1-3 sees deployment closed for approx 12 hours only. After 12 hours, it’s open season. Those who want to fight the combats can do so, those who don’t will not be hounded as we don’t need the points to get 3* in all zones. Specials are still mandatory though.

From phase 4 onwards it’s the old rules:
    - platoons first. No combat at all until they’re done.
    - Combats and special to be completed by 3pm UTC
    - Deployment usually opens around 8am UTC but we use a cutoff, so that all missions (other than ships) hit 50/50 before 3*
    - People who haven’t hit combats / special are tagged on Discord. They virtually always hit.

It sounds like the ****, when you read it like that, but the GET and crystals are superb at that level.

We’ve done our sums, and at 179M GP we hope that this will be our first ever 45* - but if we pull it off all phase 6 combats will need to be 50/50 and all members will need to deploy.

Seriously - if 1/4 of your guild won’t contribute to something everyone benefits from, might be time for them or you to find somewhere else.