How do mod sets work?

garyhollman
67 posts Member
edited January 2019
I've tried combining mods with the same markings (as in circle with a shield shape with triangle with a shield shape) but that doesn't seem to be the key. Sorry but I find this "mods" bit very confusing. Thanks

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    edited January 2019
    Each type - the symbol on the mod has a different number of mods needed to combine for a set bonus
    2autgamye3uh.jpg
    You can press the bottom area to see the listing, here is a partial list
    144jgqvx4kyx.jpg
  • Jarvind
    3920 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    The image on the mod doesn't affect the stats on the mod itself. All mod sets roll from the same pool of stats.

When you equip enough mods from the same set, you'll get a bonus based on the set. In the example you provided, you should have gotten a Defense set bonus. This doesn't show up on the mods themselves, it just gets added to your character's stats. You can see which bonuses are active by looking at the circles below your equipped mods, as indicated by Kyno above.

Offense, Crit Damage, and Speed sets require four mods, so you can only get one of those set bonuses. The other sets only require two, so you could get each of those set bonuses as many as 3 times.

The bonus is calculated off your character's "base stats," which I believe means any stats they have unmodded and not counting any gear they haven't yet "absorbed" i.e. if your character is at gear 11 and has one of the +6 speed detonators equipped towards gear 12, a speed set won't count that 6 speed when calculating how much the set bonus adds.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Thanks. So what is the best set for speed bonuses?
  • A set of four speed mods, with +speed secondary stats (or +speed primary stat in the case of the arrow).
  • Early on, I'd focus on health mods and other sets that only require 2 mods for a bonus (like critical chance or potency). Unless the character's base speed is very low, you can already get above 200 speed using non-speed sets by picking arrow mods with a speed primary and other mods with speed secondaries. You'll need the extra health at lower gear levels, as well as any protection bonuses from mods.

If the recommendation calls for critical chance and damage, throw 2 crit. chance mods in with your health sets, or 4 if your character's base health is high enough. That way you can still up your health a little. E.g., Vader is very beefy for an attacker, but other attackers are still squishy even at gear level 8 or 9. Why waste 4 mod slots on more crit. damage or speed mods (which may actually be slower if they lack good speed secondaries) instead of upping their health by 20%.

It's also easier to systematically level up mods to 3 or 6 and check for speed bonuses when you prioritize one type, and ideally one that only needs 2 for a set. You can still switch to better mods later on and hand down your old mod sets to characters you only use in territory wars/battles.
  • Thanks for the advice. Hopefully the last question. I have 5 out 6 with the little speed guy. All 5 have a secondary stat of speed. The arrow one has a little bullseye on it and it's labeled as a "potency receiver" but the primary stat is speed. How am I supposed to get all 6 mods the same for the set bonus when they are not all the same stat?
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    Thanks for the advice. Hopefully the last question. I have 5 out 6 with the little speed guy. All 5 have a secondary stat of speed. The arrow one has a little bullseye on it and it's labeled as a "potency receiver" but the primary stat is speed. How am I supposed to get all 6 mods the same for the set bonus when they are not all the same stat?
    The arrow is potency set the rest is speed set. You get speed set bonuses after 4. You don't get an extra bonus for 6.
  • Arrows are the only mod that can have a speed primary.
    Make Bronzium autoplay opening an option.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Primaries don’t affect the set bonus; that relates only the picture on the mod.
  • On top of what Naraic said, it's the symbol on the mod that determines the bonus, not the stats. E.g., if you have 6 health mods with speed secondaries and a speed primary on the arrow, you get 3 times the health bonus for 3 pairs of 2. The mod stats apply on top of this, meaning you also get more speed even though you only have health mods.

With speed mods, you have to pick another mod type to get a second bonus. This can be either health, defense, potency or critical chance. Everything else needs a set of 4. In your case, it would make sense to farm another potency mod with speed secondary.
  • DaarthBrewer
    1954 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    I ran out of time before I could finish my thought. You can buy mods in the mod store, but you don't want to waste currency on anything not showing 5 speed on a 5 dot mod. Arrows at 5 dots with 4 speed primary being the exception. People that have god mods got them by winnowing through LOTS of mods.
    Make Bronzium autoplay opening an option.
  • Thanks again guys.
  • Does anyone know what the parenthetical numbers are beside the secondary bonuses? Example: (2) 11 speed
  • How many times that stat has upgraded.

Each stat can upgrade 4 times. "God" mods are ones where speed secondaries have procced multiple times with a bonus of 6 per time - leaving you with a speed secondary of 29. I have none of these.
  • Minsk400 wrote: »
    How many times that stat has upgraded.

Each stat can upgrade 4 times. "God" mods are ones where speed secondaries have procced multiple times with a bonus of 6 per time - leaving you with a speed secondary of 29. I have none of these.

If a mod starts with 6 secondary speed and increases by 6 speed four more times, then the mod will have 30 secondary speed. Slice the mod to six dot, and it can have 31 speed.