Matchmaking still busted

So it seems there is still a problem. Our guild was paired against a guild 15 million GP higher...

What gives?

Replies

• Liath
    5140 posts Member
    It’s still paired on active GP. As far as I know they have never tried to address the issue of people sitting out.
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    Liath wrote: »
    It’s still paired on active GP.

I'd have to dig it up but I thought the last official dev thread on the topic disputed that.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    Never mind again, it says active GP is used for rewards, not matchmaking.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    I’m not sure where you’re looking in that post or if there are things from after March? My recollection is that they drew a distinction on the brackets, which are for rewards only and there’s no guarantee you will be matched within your bracket. But I don’t believe they have ever said they were matching on, say, average GP of the people that sign up, which would address this issue. Guilds continue to have people sit out and the recent matchmaking changes didn’t do anything to address that as far as I remember.
  • So it seems there is still a problem. Our guild was paired against a guild 15 million GP higher...

What gives?
    Usual questions...

How many of you signed up and how many of them signed up (check how many teams / zone you can fill).
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    I’m not sure where you’re looking in that post or if there are things from after March? My recollection is that they drew a distinction on the brackets, which are for rewards only and there’s no guarantee you will be matched within your bracket. But I don’t believe they have ever said they were matching on, say, average GP of the people that sign up, which would address this issue. Guilds continue to have people sit out and the recent matchmaking changes didn’t do anything to address that as far as I remember.
    Matchmaking seeks to create the most fair matchups, with two primary goals in mind:
    The squad power of participating individuals in each guild should be near the same average power.
    The strongest possible squads of both participating guilds should be near the same average power.
    To achieve this, matchmaking uses multiple parameters.
    As a primary consideration, matchmaking identifies the strongest characters/ships expected to be used by each participant in the Territory War and assigns a value to each roster. Then it looks for the single strongest squads and compares them to each other. Matchmaking then aggregates these criteria for the guild and finds the opponent that is most similar.
    Comparing Guild Galactic Power (GP), Active GP, or # of participants can be misleading.

I guess I don't understand what you're saying.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »
    Matchmaking seeks to create the most fair matchups, with two primary goals in mind:
    The squad power of participating individuals in each guild should be near the same average power.
    The strongest possible squads of both participating guilds should be near the same average power.
    To achieve this, matchmaking uses multiple parameters.
    As a primary consideration, matchmaking identifies the strongest characters/ships expected to be used by each participant in the Territory War and assigns a value to each roster. Then it looks for the single strongest squads and compares them to each other. Matchmaking then aggregates these criteria for the guild and finds the opponent that is most similar.
    Comparing Guild Galactic Power (GP), Active GP, or # of participants can be misleading.

I guess I don't understand what you're saying.

As I understood the OP the complaint was that they were unsuccessful in fixing matchmaking because the total GP of the opposing guild is significantly higher. I am saying that I don’t think they ever said they were planning to fix or had fixed the types of matches that occur when several members of a guild do not participate, which is the usual cause. Typically when somebody says “our opponent has X million more GP than we do,” it turns out that the opponent didn’t have everybody sign up.
  • CorranHorn80
    38 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    So my problem is that there is an exploitable system here. Let’s say guild A has 100 million total gp. Guild B has 85 million. Guild B sets every player and its active gp is 85 million. Guild A, Sits 5 of their weakest players out or they don’t join, and settles at 87 million active gp. To the naked eye, 2 million isn’t too bad a difference. But the remaining 45 players of guild A are way more powerful.

If the system is changed so that the TW is based on total GP, not active, it will promote guilds using all people, and prevent an exploitable situation.

Just my 2 cents.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    So my problem is that there is an exploitable system here. Let’s say guild A has 100 million total gp. Guild B has 85 million. Guild B sets every player and its active gp is 85 million. Guild A, Sits 5 of their weakest players out or they don’t join, and settles at 87 million active gp. To the naked eye, 2 million isn’t too bad a difference. But the remaining 45 players of guild A are way more powerful.

If the system is changed so that the TW is based on total GP, not active, it will promote guilds using all people, and prevent an exploitable situation.

Just my 2 cents.

The problem is still — total GP when? Guilds can get around this type of restriction by having people actually leave the guild during the matching. If you base it on total GP at some prior point then a guild that has people legitimately leave gets hurt. IMO it’s much better (if they care about solving this, which afaik there is no evidence of yet) to match on both the total and average GP of the people that signed up.
  • So my problem is that there is an exploitable system here. Let’s say guild A has 100 million total gp. Guild B has 85 million. Guild B sets every player and its active gp is 85 million. Guild A, Sits 5 of their weakest players out or they don’t join, and settles at 87 million active gp. To the naked eye, 2 million isn’t too bad a difference. But the remaining 45 players of guild A are way more powerful.

Just my 2 cents.
    If guild A has 100 million GP, their 5 weakest players can’t possibly have a total of 13M GP.