Anti-Jedi skills make no sense

Rolf
1032 posts Member
edited March 2016
Ok, I get that some people are trained to fight Jedi. But the way certain skills work now makes no sense. Take these situations:

1. Darth Sidious gets a 35% extra dodge vs Jedi.
-All right. Seems logical that Jedi wouldn't be as good against him. But wait, so you're saying that he's great at dodging Jedi... but an Ugnaught comes at him with a wrench and he doesn't know what to do? This wasn't set up right. It should be (arbitrary numbers here), *everyone* gets a 50% dodge *except* against Jedi because they're so good. But Sidious gets a 35% even against Jedi.

2. Count Dooku's Force Lightning has a 90% stun chance against Jedi.
-But only 40% against non-Jedi. Wait, what? So *I'm* more resilient to Lightning than a trained Jedi? Mace caught Lightning on his lightsaber. Yoda caught this very move from Dooku in the palm of his hand! (Ok, Luke was kinda fried.) Sure seems though that they oughta flip that percentage the other way.

3. Darth Maul hits Jedi *really* hard. But he decides to just slap everyone else? Absurd.

I'm thinking that everyone needs to do worse against Jedi in general, and *then* the anti-Jedi moves make sense.
My ally code: 296-673-769. Wish we could have more than 35.

Replies

• Options
    Jedi have healers. I like the bonuses against Jedi. Adds complexity to the game.
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    Options
    It is building like the story line Jedi get the beat down and have to work their way back over 20 years to one man and woman.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Anti-Jedi abilities are a function of Jedi being "force sensitive". Sid is dark side - so light side Jedi struggle. He manipulates Jedi through the dark side (he almost turned Luke for crying out loud!)

Same with Dooku. Force lightning is channeling powerful darkside energy, which light side-focused Jedi would find very jolting (pardon the pun).

Darth Maul's bonus is fury/hate for Jedi from his side, as opposed to dark side sensitivity on the "receiving" end.

Or at least that's how it all works in my made-up Star Wars mind. ;)
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    Good points op!
  • Options
    "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a lightsaber"
  • Rolf
    1032 posts Member
    Options
    Jedi have healers. I like the bonuses against Jedi. Adds complexity to the game.
    Maybe I put it badly. I'm not saying that people shouldn't be good against Jedi, but when they have bonuses specifically against Jedi they should have even better bonuses against the weaker characters. Otherwise you get Jedi-killers that can't dodge a wrench. :)
  • Options
    Put it in that way, does it make sense to have 5 sith in the game (only 3 of them are farmable) while we have
    14 jedi in the game?
  • Options
    The only people sidious ever faught in the movies were jedi. I would assume that the 35% dodge comes from him wrecking the group of jedi right before mace windu nearly gets the better of him. Kit fisto eth koth and either allya secura or shakti were all 1 shotted b4 sidious could fight mace. But if he was emperor Palpatine he would have to seem passive and eat a wrench thrown at him.
  • Skye
    795 posts Member
    Options
    From a lore perspective yes the Sidious dodge doesn't make sense he is better at dodging a lightsaber than a wrench....

BUt from a game perspective it makes perfect sense... as if Sidious had a 35% dodge against everything he would verge on being OP... If you ever ran a full Jedi team against Sidious you'll know what I mean.. that 35% can mean none of your jedi can hit him before he has killed all your jedi. It's rare but it's possible...

Again from the game's perspective.. it poses a choice for people to risk taking in a a full jedi team against a team containing Sidious or mix and match!

What works well lore wise may not translate well into a game mechanic never mind the idea of having a sense of balance within the game..
    Former crazy person of the guild "Shard Awakens"... *quit game 13th July 2016*

Game used to be fun when it wasn't a grind... if I wanted a grind I would have went and played old school Everquest or some Korean MMO!
  • Options
    Luke6108 wrote: »
    Put it in that way, does it make sense to have 5 sith in the game (only 3 of them are farmable) while we have
    14 jedi in the game?

We can blame that on Darth bane and the rule of two... master and apprentice :)

• Eaywen
    422 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    The sith have literally been training to demolish the jedi in 1 on 1 or even out numbered condition, the sith according to the books, know jedi training better than jedi, they know the forms and the counters, they literally seeth hate and anger for the jedi. Mean while the jedi have been training to stop another sith invasion.

What doesn't make sense to me are all the people who want to give mace, or yoda, who have never fought a sith, seen a sith, or know their tactics anti sith abilities.
  • ubn87
    314 posts Member
    Options
    It's a game dude. Ever heard of rock, paper scissor. It's like those principles.
  • Options
    Berimbolo wrote: »

This, a million times, still have tears in my eyes
  • Options
    ubn87 wrote: »
    It's a game dude. Ever heard of rock, paper scissor. It's like those principles.

What is this madness? I have seen rocks roll a mile when I pull out my paper.

• Options
    I love when people argue a fictitious story as reason for a game to have features or not. Who cares? It's an attempt at game balance and giving certain characters abilities for strategy.
  • Options
    Rolf wrote: »
    Ok, I get that some people are trained to fight Jedi. But the way certain skills work now makes no sense. Take these situations:

1. Darth Sidious gets a 35% extra dodge vs Jedi.
    -All right. Seems logical that Jedi wouldn't be as good against him. But wait, so you're saying that he's great at dodging Jedi... but an Ugnaught comes at him with a wrench and he doesn't know what to do? This wasn't set up right. It should be (arbitrary numbers here), *everyone* gets a 50% dodge *except* against Jedi because they're so good. But Sidious gets a 35% even against Jedi.

2. Count Dooku's Force Lightning has a 90% stun chance against Jedi.
    -But only 40% against non-Jedi. Wait, what? So *I'm* more resilient to Lightning than a trained Jedi? Mace caught Lightning on his lightsaber. Yoda caught this very move from Dooku in the palm of his hand! (Ok, Luke was kinda fried.) Sure seems though that they oughta flip that percentage the other way.

3. Darth Maul hits Jedi *really* hard. But he decides to just slap everyone else? Absurd.

I'm thinking that everyone needs to do worse against Jedi in general, and *then* the anti-Jedi moves make sense.

You do realise this is based on the dejarik game they play in the movies and in clone wars. It's not supposed to mimic 'real' I star wars. If it did there would be so much more wrong than just this.

If you're playing KOTOR and you see an ugnaught taking out sidious with a wrench in the dining room, then we have a problem ;)
    UK/Euro guild - GrievousGenerals recruiting - lv85+ Discord @Starjumper#8384
  • Varlie
    1286 posts Member
    Options
    Berimbolo wrote: »

Best altered quote of the day
  • Bora
    440 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    So In a certain way ugnaught are the ultimate sith slayers.. [img][/img]10m3vi.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Maker
    Res non verba
  • Options
    Eaywen wrote: »
    The sith have literally been training to demolish the jedi in 1 on 1 or even out numbered condition, the sith according to the books, know jedi training better than jedi, they know the forms and the counters, they literally seeth hate and anger for the jedi. Mean while the jedi have been training to stop another sith invasion.

What doesn't make sense to me are all the people who want to give mace, or yoda, who have never fought a sith, seen a sith, or know their tactics anti sith abilities.

I like the !jedi stuff, but I think Yoda and Sid basically tied their fight - and Mace was a light side person who knew some darkside lore, and actually looks like he would have been able to kill Sid if Anakin was not there to save him (he could even counter force lightning!) Not sure if Sid was just egging Ani on, but Mace messed him up good. So I can see people thinking that those 2 should get something, not that I think they should.

When General Kenobi arrives, he is someone that using quips and talk - seems to knock an opponent off balance. Perhaps he could have better dodge against sith or somthing when he arrives?
  • Rolf
    1032 posts Member
    Options
    Starjumper wrote: »
    If you're playing KOTOR and you see an ugnaught taking out sidious with a wrench in the dining room, then we have a problem ;)
    One plus two, plus two, plus one...
  • Options
    Technically in the darkness, where Sid resides a light saber would be way easier to dodge than a wrench. Those things light up the whole room!!!!!!!!! So that makes a ton of sense.
  • Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    Options
    Eaywen wrote: »

Literally, at no place in any lore does it say the Sith are fundamentally stronger than the Jedi. This is simply something that Sith fanboys have convinced themselves of.

The Sith ultimately defeated the Jedi of the Old Republic not by defeating them in combat, but by infiltrating, manipulating, and usurping the government; and then using that government to exterminate them. It also took them 25,000 years to do it...

The Sith use the same lightsaber technics and most of the same force abilities. They differ from one another in their ideologies, beliefs, and morals.

• Options
    I think you're looking at it a little too seriously. These skills don't HAVE to match up the the canon of the character. They are simply mechanic that make the game tick.
    You would never ask why, in a chess game, the knight moves across 3 and up 2, or vice versa. You just accept that that is the mechanics of the game.
    The whole game would be off by your logic. A lowly genosian soldier that takes out the most badass heroes in the galaxy? It's not like that because genosian are actually stronger.
  • Options
    Luke6108 wrote: »
    14 jedi in the game?

Are you just going to start making up Sith Lords then? There are only 5 of them in the saga? & they were mostly apprentices. Please don't give me a EU answer... It's over folks...
  • Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    Options
    It's over folks...
    Not for this game. There's a very real possibility of more EU toons.