Recommendation: Announcement Pages

Dweezy
25 posts Member
edited January 2019
I'm not a huge fan of using forums to make major announcements to any application or user experience (or in this case, game) instead either a tracking page or announcement site/emails could be leveraged. I ( and almost all users I've discussed the new TW changes with) found it to be jarring unless they were going through each thread on the forum. "The Next Territory Wars (1/17/19) [MEGA]" thread title while relevent, was not particularly effective in conveying the depth of the changes.

Instead, if these tweaks for TW and Grand Arena and such are going to be a permitent fixture I don't think it is unreasonable to ask for the SWGOH web site's "News" section to be used to make these changes explicit.

Thoughts?

Replies

• Gair
    616 posts Member
    I'm confused?

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/193152/the-next-territory-wars-1-17-19#latest

.. is in the news section?

Do you mean the front page of the website? Lets be honest that thing hasn't been changed since Revan was released.
  • Well the suggestion was the "News" section but whatever is easiest for EA/CG. Publishing relevent threads here to one website would help alievate confusion now and in the future
  • I mean while I don't disagree that forums aren't necessarily best for everyone, there are also a number of ways you can receive the posts there. My guild has a discord channel that auto populates when new posts are made for example. before joining them I simply had an app on my phone that subscribes to RSS feeds, and added the Dev announcements and update subforums to it, so I got a push notification whenever posted.

OK you need a LITTLE legwork, but if it's important to you there are not massively complex ways you can subscribe to forum announcements without checking forums every day manually.
  • 3pourr2
    1927 posts Member
    I would want it to look like this abd be one of the first things you see when entering the forum.
    fk5ixdpjs08g.jpeg
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    3pourr2 wrote: »
    I would want it to look like this abd be one of the first things you see when entering the forum.
    fk5ixdpjs08g.jpeg

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/categories/news-and-announcements-

here is a link for you to check out what is there.

Here is a link to the post in that section about the update to the TW buffs, which can be found in that section.
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/193152/the-next-territory-wars-1-17-19#latest
    on top of that all of these buffs are listed in the game in a very similar way that all buffs are listed for events like this and TB. << not 100% obvious, but if your going to avoid the forums and not have an RSS feed, you will need to be more diligent about what is in the game.
  • Dweezy wrote: »
    Well the suggestion was the "News" section but whatever is easiest for EA/CG. Publishing relevent threads here to one website would help alievate confusion now and in the future

I mean the "Dev Announcement and News" section of the Forums is at the very top of the Forum home page. That's where they always are. Anyone who knows there is a website and forums should know to look there for any announcements. It's not even really on every single player to keep up to speed on this stuff. TWs is for guilds. Are you saying that no one in your entire guild knew about these buffs? If that's the case, it doesn't sound like your guild cares much about TWs anyway. The guild leader and officers should be keeping everyone else informed of what is going on...if they aren't paying attention to what's going on with the game, then it might be time to find a new guild.
  • Dweezy
    25 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    I see the point but I also see several opportunities here for better communication. The Dev and Announcement thread title for the changes was vague at best, "Territory Wars" and the date isnt something that I see as a "must read". Maybe standardizing the thread titles would help? I'll look into RSS feeds as people suggested.

While I see and agree with you points, including guikd responsibility, I don't see the harm in creating a one stop shop in a non message board form for clarity on what is likely going to be continual changes to this content, especially if the path forward is to be in a state of flux.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Dweezy wrote: »
    I see the point but I also see several opportunities here for better communication. The Dev and Announcement thread title for the changes was vague at best, "Territory Wars" and the date isnt something that I see as a "must read". Maybe standardizing the thread titles would help? I'll look into RSS feeds as people suggested.

While I see and agree with you points, including guikd responsibility, I don't see the harm in creating a one stop shop in a non message board form for clarity on what is likely going to be continual changes to this content, especially if the path forward is to be in a state of flux.

If you dont see a title of TW with the date for the next TW, then TW must not be very important to you and your guild. After all the updates we have seen and things they have stated they are "trying out", i would read any thread with TW in the title. but thats just me.

They have created one, so the harm would be the fact that they would then need to keep 2 place up to date, when they already have one.
  • If you dont see a title of TW with the date for the next TW, then TW must not be very important to you and your guild. After all the updates we have seen and things they have stated they are "trying out", i would read any thread with TW in the title. but thats just me.

They have created one, so the harm would be the fact that they would then need to keep 2 place up to date, when they already have one.

I guess that's the difference here, I don't view this as sufficient but hey if it's just me and the people I've spoken to in game then you're right it's our problem.

I play 2 other games similar to this (heavily into Summoners War) and never had this problem while it appears to be a re occuring theme here. I'll have to look into an alternative means of handling this games info.