Need help with mods

I want to improve my Phoenix squad for Thrawn/Palp event and arena in the meantime. I really have no idea what I'm doing with mods and am looking for advice. Is there a strategy for farming mods or do I just need to keep clearing new levels? I am currently halfway through stage 4. Any advice on what mods to look for and what to use would be great. Thanks.

https://swgoh.gg/p/141351226/

Replies

• Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Potency for Zeb to increase the chance of landing debuffs.
    Mod Ezra for damage (crit / offense).
    A bit of potency on Hera too, to increase the chance of expose to land.
    Mod tanks... for tanking.

And plenty of speed.
  • Okay, first things first, mods are crucial and you've done what a lot of players don't which is start researching them which is great! Getting the right team composition at the right gear level is of course important, but mods cross over every aspect of the game!
    Is there a strategy for farming mods or do I just need to keep clearing new levels?

Yes, there certainly is but it's somewhat dependent on progression and what you need at the time. The first thing you should aim to do though is completely unlock all your farming options so you can start employing some strategies. In the mods area there are two sections, mod battles and mod challenges. You should aim to finish all the way through your mod battles as soon as possible. Importantly though, once you've got 1 star on a battle between stage 1 to stage 8, never go back to that battle again. The battles award 1 or 2 dot mods (the dots are displayed just above the mod). These mods are to all intent and purpose complete horse manure. (stage 9 will eventually become very important but not right now for your progression I don't think)

But unlocking the table fully gets you access to all the different mod challenges. In these, try and only use the 3rd tier for farming and collecting mods for your collection as these have a chance of being 5 dot (the type you can properly upgrade eventually).

Now if you are in level 4 of battles I assume (but don't know because I was above your level when mods were changed) you have access to the Health, Defence, Crit Damage and Crit chance mod challenges? If so, farm from level 3 of the crit damage and crit chance challenges.... lots and lots and lots and lots and lots. (you'll get health mods a plenty from events, defense mods are a bit niche, but CC and CD give you good damage boosts). If you can't access level 3 of those challenges though, farm whichever mod type you can access level 3 for!

Once you've worked through the battles far enough to unlock the speed mod challenges... farm a shed load of them as they are very important. Offence is another very important mod type (generally speaking a better option in a lot of cases than crit damage... but that's a subtlety you'll learn with more research).
    I want to improve my Phoenix squad for Thrawn/Palp event and arena in the meantime.

The ideal modding for each of these characters can be found online in different places but you won't be able to achieve the ideal for a long time. So the first thing you can do to improve is find pretty much any mod that has speed on it (for the arrow shape that's the primary stat and for the other shapes it's the secondary stats).

Then think about what each character does. Ezra is a damage dealer so wants Crit damage/Crit Chance/offence and speed. Kanan is a tank so wants Protection (mostly)/health/tenacity/defense and speed. Zeb is a tanky control piece that applies debuffs so wants Potency/protection and speed. Hera is a suporting character so wants Speed (and some protection and health) and same with Chopper, he supports the team by reducing cooldowns etc. so he wants speed (and a bit of survivability for when taunting).

If you noticed the trend well done ;) they all want speed.

You'll want to have a resource to go from and expand your knowledge and this is a good place to start https://gaming-fans.com/swgoh-101/swgoh-101-comprehensive-mod-guide/

It's not perfect but once you understand everything in there you can start to experiment yourself with getting into the really fine details. Mods are incredibly fun if you are at all into maths by the way, some really interesting interactions between % and flat stats and the different ways you can add damage to an attack.... but I digress.

Hope some of that helps :)

Good luck
  • Well done Eduardo, that is a very fine explanation. The ONLY thing I can think of to add is regarding speed. How do you find it? The answer is by sifting through a LOT of mods. 5 dot mods are the ones you want to concentrate on, 1 and 2 dots are trash. Gold purple and blue mods are the ones you want to cultivate in your search, spend just enough on them to show all 4 stats. No speed on it, sell it unless it is one you don't have enough of, for me this is always triangles. If speed is present, upgrade it all the way. Good luck!
    Make Bronzium autoplay opening an option.
  • DaarthBrewer
    1961 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Oh MY! I need to add a caveat to what I said above about lack of speed on a mod. Sell it only once you have met your inventory cap and need the space. One minor word about arrows, sell any that aren't speed, UNLESS the primary is crit avoidance. Preferably with a speed secondary, these are useful for tanks.

Edit: Speed Primary Arrows, keep.
    Make Bronzium autoplay opening an option.
  • Oh MY! I need to add a caveat to what I said above about lack of speed on a mod. Sell it only once you have met your inventory cap and need the space. One minor word about arrows, sell any that aren't speed, UNLESS the primary is crit avoidance. Preferably with a speed secondary, these are useful for tanks.

Edit: Speed Primary Arrows, keep.

Please do not blindly follow this advice. Some tanks are better off with Protection Arrows and some characters are better off with Offense Arrows in raids.