Easy fix to GA non-participation

2Next

Replies

• leef wrote: »
    You're all entitled to your opinions.
    Most of you clearly think your enjoyment of the game is more important than that of your opponents, yet you call them selfish if they chose to not set a def for whatever reason. I find that to be quite ironic.
    I'm probably doing a poor job explaining, but i definately don't feel like my opponents owe me anything. They're just playing the game the way they like just like i am.

If they don't enjoy the game mode then they shouldn't join.

Giving zero rewards for zero participation would probably stop a lot of it

Once they get auto defense actually working it will all be irrelevant. People that want an opponent to fight will get one and be able to get currency / quest progress and the people that just want to join and take some rewards with no participation on their part will also be able to do that
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Who are you to tell them what to do though?

Save water, drink champagne!
  • I don't think it's as much of a GP bracket issue as a competitiveness issue. Players at or near the top in arena are more likely to have stronger rosters, gear, mods, etc. because they're more competitive and want to win. Players who are more interested in collecting don't have the same drive or motivation to compete. And since we are matched by power, more recent competitive players are likely to get matched with long time collection players because there are fewer competitive players in the game.

Likewise, who are they to spoil my enjoyment of an event and effectively tell me what to do?
  • Non-issue that needs no fix.
    Insisting on changes to the reward structure is a great way to ruin rewards for everyone.

I disagree...some of us put in 100% effort with odds stacked against us. Matching and/or rewards need to be addressed. You want to incentive and gain participation. Don't introduce a game feature where you are not properly challenged after building for a specific opponent, and everyone else is basically being penalized for not doing the same thing or going about victory differently. With that argument I built for TW why isn't my guild getting easer opponents for that game feature. That's what I/ we built for!
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    leef wrote: »

Likewise, who are they to spoil my enjoyment of an event and effectively tell me what to do?

Hence both of you being selfish, not just the one not setting def.
    I get where you comming from, i truly do, but they're just playing the game the way they like it just like you're playing the game the way you like it. Just because you think you're playing the game the way it's intended to be played doesn't mean everyone else should play the same way if that's not what they want to do.
    I'm just not so eager to throw someone under the bus for being selfish if my own reasons for wanting him to not be selfish are selfish. That's all.
  • Jarvind
    3920 posts Member
    Most of you clearly think your enjoyment of the game is more important than that of your opponents, yet you call them selfish if they chose to not set a def for whatever reason. I find that to be quite ironic.
    I'm probably doing a poor job explaining, but i definately don't feel like my opponents owe me anything. They're just playing the game the way they like just like i am.

This is you seeing a valid point and deciding to double-cop out instead of addressing it by calling everyone selfish and throwing the "entitled to your opinion" card.

The issue is that the non-players will always get their way. The people who actually want to play get screwed without any recourse, regardless of their motivations for wanting to do so, because there is no way to avoid getting paired up with the non-participants.

In squad arena, if you don't want to participate, fine, you just sink to the bottom of your bracket and the people who actually want to play can play against each other to their heart's content. You're not hurting anybody there.

Here, you're making a conscious decision to join the event and then spoil it for somebody else.

If you bought tickets to the World Cup (or whatever sporting event you like), and when the game started one team just walked out on the field and went "we give up lol" would your response be to just go "welp, they don't have to play if they don't want to?" No. You'd be ****, because you were promised a game and made preparations for it.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• I look at it like this, If someone were to throw a party and nobody came, that would heartbreaking. The idea of GA is to allow opponents to test their squads against one another. A lot of competitive people are into that sort of thing. Also, a lot of people are not. While some are calling for auto defense, I dont think that matches with what players who enjoy GA would want. They want to put their rosters through the paces and test their skills. Going up against a randomized team like a Cody lead with say KRU, Jawa engineer, GMY and L3 isnt going to test their skills because such a team would be absolute trash. Now that would work for people who just want to pub stomp their opponents and those who maybe only care about the quest lines. But, what Im hearing is that people want to truly test their rosters.

In fairness, if someone has no intention of participating in an event, technically they should not join... period. But the way this game is structured, the need for resources is so great that people will do whatever they have to to gain those resources. If we look, the game already rewards non-participation. If you dont attack anyone in squad arena, you still get a PO, fleet... still get a PO, join a raid and dont hit... get raid rewards which are sometimes full gear pieces and better then what the top scorers earned (Pit and AAT). If you dont attack in TW or TB, you still get the same rewards as the rest of the guild. Being rewarded for nothing is prevalent throughout the game.

Rather then indirectly force people to play every event, it would be nice to introduce a mechanism which allows players focus on what they enjoy. This is a game after all which is supposed to be for enjoyment. If you want to have a true GA, allow for customized match ups with maybe a crystal buy in. You can leave out the rewards all together or include modest ones so that you're not really missing out if you don't care for that type of event. I guarantee within 10 minutes, there would be discord chats popping up and guilds arranging tournaments of their own which would be much more enjoyable then how GA is currently being implemented. This sort of concept has been requested consistently as an in guild sandbox mode. But taking that idea to allow outside invites is how a true GA event would be structured.
  • Hun9So1o wrote: »
    ... If you dont attack in TW or TB, you still get the same rewards as the rest of the guild. ..

I'm pretty sure if you join TW but don't get any banners (don't set defenses or attack), you don't get rewards. You can coast in TB though.
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • Actually i think youre right with TW. But in Raids, last place can sometimes come out ahead of the guy that hit 1st

Hence both of you being selfish, not just the one not setting def.
    I get where you comming from, i truly do, but they're just playing the game the way they like it just like you're playing the game the way you like it. Just because you think you're playing the game the way it's intended to be played doesn't mean everyone else should play the same way if that's not what they want to do.
    I'm just not so eager to throw someone under the bus for being selfish if my own reasons for wanting him to not be selfish are selfish. That's all.

Here is the problem.
    Someone who outmatches their opponent isn’t at fault - they didn’t choose their opponent.

Joining and not setting any defense costs your opponent rewards. With no teams to attack, they lose rewards for potentially winning battles and opportunities to progress their requests.

If someone doesn’t want to take part, the least they should do is set some random defensive teams. This way they don’t have to put in any real effort on attacking but their opponents aren’t penalized for it.
  • Also it’s clear that this is how the game mode was intended.
    The fact that the auto-deploy doesn’t work aside (shocker, I know) the devs did try to put in something to prevent this situation.
  • @kello_511 exactly. It's one of the few game modes where failing to participate (no defences set) penalizes your opponent more than yourself. That's exactly counter to the "Spirit of the Game" everyone loves to mention. You're allowed to do so and still collect loser rewards a week later, unfortunately.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Jarvind wrote: »

This is you seeing a valid point and deciding to double-cop out instead of addressing it by calling everyone selfish and throwing the "entitled to your opinion" card.

The issue is that the non-players will always get their way. The people who actually want to play get screwed without any recourse, regardless of their motivations for wanting to do so, because there is no way to avoid getting paired up with the non-participants.

In squad arena, if you don't want to participate, fine, you just sink to the bottom of your bracket and the people who actually want to play can play against each other to their heart's content. You're not hurting anybody there.

Here, you're making a conscious decision to join the event and then spoil it for somebody else.

If you bought tickets to the World Cup (or whatever sporting event you like), and when the game started one team just walked out on the field and went "we give up lol" would your response be to just go "welp, they don't have to play if they don't want to?" No. You'd be ****, because you were promised a game and made preparations for it.

it's actually me respectfully disagreeing and reiterating my stance on the matter.
    The valid point you refer to hasn't changed my stance on the matter, it just adresses one of my arguments used for not setting a def. An argument of which i knew before hand that it only applied to some of the players who didn't set a def, but those players are part of the entire group that were called out for having a poor attitude (with which i didn't agree, and still don't, that sparked the whole exchange).
    I've less sympathy for players who don't set a def because they just don't wanna than for players who don't set a def because their chance of winning is slim to none, but both are entitled to play however they want to play as long as it's within the rules of the game so their reasons for doing so are irrelevant.
    I might not agree with not setting def, but gosh darnit will i defend their right to not set a def.

• TRanger
    329 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Vendi1983 wrote: »
    @kello_511 exactly. It's one of the few game modes where failing to participate (no defences set) penalizes your opponent more than yourself. That's exactly counter to the "Spirit of the Game" everyone loves to mention. You're allowed to do so and still collect loser rewards a week later, unfortunately.

And some follow the rules set defense fight offense and still collect loser rewards..so for someone to not bother setting a defense I totally understand..you only run head first into a wall so many times and you say why bother...why try just let m collectct my 8th place rewards. It all comes back too matching I have yet to win GA and I have thought about the same thing no I hold out hope it will change..it never does..and I too will be doing this soon. And before you go psycho On me...yes always GA I'm out matched..the ones I win are the ones my opponent has the courage to not set defense..thank you for not setting a defense you would have won...I can finally win a round.

Or maybe just maybe..he seen he wasn't being mached fairly..and instead of walking through the park with yet another non challenging win, seeing he would win this hands done he set out in protest. The motivation for thier actions are justified, and they don't have too make any sense to you or anyone else.
  • I don't understand the defeatist attitude, yes there will be some sharks in your 8 who you can't beat... but the rewards for coming in top 4 and top 7 are still worth fighting it out.

Equally, if nothing else, you get 70k credits per battle.

I've had several times a scenario, where being the Saddo I am, I'm waiting and as the seconds tick down, the attack stage launches and I proceed to do my attack run. In the event, where I wipe my opponent, i've had more often than not my opponent not bother to attack.

I am wondering if I should wait for them to attack first if I am putting them off.

Equally, whilst there are some forms he or she may struggle with, there are also some b grade teams who are giant pots of credits which my opponent doesn't bother to attack. It's like not doing the bounty hunter event...
    Keyboard Warrior on the side of the Moderates
    I play the game for fun, if you don't like content, don't like the game, then why are you here?
  • TRanger
    329 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Pentagon wrote: »
    I don't understand the defeatist attitude, yes there will be some sharks in your 8 who you can't beat... but the rewards for coming in top 4 and top 7 are still worth fighting it out.

Equally, if nothing else, you get 70k credits per battle.

I've had several times a scenario, where being the Saddo I am, I'm waiting and as the seconds tick down, the attack stage launches and I proceed to do my attack run. In the event, where I wipe my opponent, i've had more often than not my opponent not bother to attack.

I am wondering if I should wait for them to attack first if I am putting them off.

Equally, whilst there are some forms he or she may struggle with, there are also some b grade teams who are giant pots of credits which my opponent doesn't bother to attack. It's like not doing the bounty hunter event...
    Obviously you are not one of the guys like us who constantly have to sit here on the bottom... Glad to hear that your matchmaking has been "fixed" now if the would be so kind and repair it for the rest of us so that we have a shot at better then constant 7th and 8th prizes. We would greatly appreciate that. Credits are.easy to get.. sitting on quite a few now..what is hard..zatas and omagas..and the top 7 guys in my arena compared to myself don't currently don't need them to beat me.
  • Whilst I am sure no-one would never exagerrate on a forum, I feel there is a certain amount of hyperbole being flung about.

I am sure that in your 8 there may be someone with 20 more zeta's than you. I find it very hard to believe that all 7 are in that position.

TRanger, if you are saying that your inventory is outclassed by ALL 7 opponents and the 21 in previous Arena's then yes your inventory is subpar - sorry.

However, I have found that I have a fair amount of less informed choices. I am currently planning on gearing up Fulcrum because i have her lvl 85 and 7 stars and yes she will never be Arena worthy but I believe she could be useful in Grand Arena and Territory War where she doesn't have to be on defense with her terrible AI tactics. It's like all game modes, if you want to be good at it, you have to develop Grand Arena teams that might not help you in Arena.

One of the interesting Grand Arena challenges is yes, they may have a meta team, but they will also have B teams. I am really enjoying having to learn the matchups, where I'm like Okay, HK47 vs. Lando... I have no idea what to do but I think this might be good... Etc.

What I'm trying to say is look to find interesting ways of turning fluff into good B teams that can win matchups for you..

Keyboard Warrior on the side of the Moderates
    I play the game for fun, if you don't like content, don't like the game, then why are you here?
  • Wait, why is it an issue people are giving other players free wins?
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • Please refer to my last statement that for some strange reason needs to be approved before posting. I was very professional and truthful in that statement but it exposed how my match making has been going..I edited it for misspelling only. So it may not show up now that it needs to be approved. Last time they never approved it either. Good luck in your GA mate.
  • Please refer to my last statement that for some strange reason needs to be approved before posting. I was very professional and truthful in that statement but it exposed how my match making has been going..I edited it for misspelling only. So it may not show up now that it needs to be approved. Last time they never approved it either. Good luck in your GA mate.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    TRanger wrote: »
    Please refer to my last statement that for some strange reason needs to be approved before posting. I was very professional and truthful in that statement but it exposed how my match making has been going..I edited it for misspelling only. So it may not show up now that it needs to be approved. Last time they never approved it either. Good luck in your GA mate.

If you edit very quickly the forum spam filter catches the post. It has nothing to do with you or the quality of the post.
  • Liath wrote: »
    TRanger wrote: »
    Please refer to my last statement that for some strange reason needs to be approved before posting. I was very professional and truthful in that statement but it exposed how my match making has been going..I edited it for misspelling only. So it may not show up now that it needs to be approved. Last time they never approved it either. Good luck in your GA mate.

If you edit very quickly the forum spam filter catches the post. It has nothing to do with you or the quality of the post.

Thank you for the encouragement, sometimes it is hard not to take it personally.
  • Hun9So1o wrote: »
    If you want to have a true GA, allow for customized match ups with maybe a crystal buy in. You can leave out the rewards all together or include modest ones so that you're not really missing out if you don't care for that type of event. .

except people like me wouldn't be able to play at all , i don't have 2m or 3m cp so i dont have a stack of crystals sitting around that i could bu in with id be pretty much left out and not playing it cause i would be using my crystals to move up in arena and buy things i need to improve such as gear and character shards and not buying into a game mode sorry . i also dont agree with taking out the awards i kinda need them to get better , its one of the best zeta farms for me cause i normal finish in the top 4 for my bracket with out it , it would take forevvvvvvvvvvvvver for me to get zetas. I do it for the Zetas mostly and the slicing parts are a bonus for me.

i like the free entry but of course i also try my best playing it even at my cp level which is only 900K about to hit 1m soon. I get a lot of dead matches also i just take it as a free win , the 700 credits or what ever it is for actually beating teams is nothing i get more just doing dailys so when i get a dead match im like YES !! cause i get to move up a rank and get better awards. but thats just me i dont care for the small amount of credits and i will eventually get the quests done at some point im in no rush.