Does pretaunt count as "gaining a buff?"

I think it would, just want to make sure I'm looking at this correctly. Veers' leadership ability gives Imperial Trooper allies 20 Speed and 10% TM whenever they gain a buff. Shoretrooper unique says "At the start of each encounter Shoretrooper gains Taunt." Will Veers' leadership apply here and grant Shoretrooper 20 Speed immediately?

Replies

• Ultra
    11502 posts Moderator
    edited January 2019
    Options
    They have 20 speed even without buffs. They gain 10% TM on each buff and yes, it should give all IT 10% TM
  • Options
    Oh my gosh... I've been reading it totally wrong. I legitimately thought that the 20 Speed gain was part of the "whenever they gain a buff." Thanks for the clarification.
  • Options
    They need an Oxford comma. Not the first time it's been interpreted that way, don't worry.
  • Options
    Vendi1983 wrote: »
    They need an Oxford comma. Not the first time it's been interpreted that way, don't worry.

Oxford comma wouldn't be appropriate, but a rewrite wouldn't be out of place. I can see that the current write isn't terrible since "and gain..." can be the introduction of a new clause.
    "Imperial Trooper allies gain 10% Turn Meter whenever they gain a buff gain 20 Speed" would disambiguate for the Zeta.
    "Imperial Trooper allies gain 20 speed. In addition, Imperial Trooper allies gain 10% TM whenever they gain a buff" wouldn't also do it. Either way, I see my error now and realize that I have been playing them SO wrong! haha
  • Ultra
    11502 posts Moderator
    Options
    They try to prevent the kit from being too verbose and it can get confusing but like Vendi said, its nothing to fret about. A lot of people misinterpret a lot of the kit of many characters
  • Options
    Sure, it makes sense now that I have it explained. Nothing to be mad about here, just misread :)
  • Options
    Actually it would, as it is traditionally used to separate items in a list. In this case; the benefits gained from running Veers as lead. Imperial Trooper allies gain 20 speed AND also gain 10% turn meter whenever they gain a buff. The comma would separate the speed and TM into two distinct benefits.
  • Options
    Vendi1983 wrote: »
    Actually it would, as it is traditionally used to separate items in a list. In this case; the benefits gained from running Veers as lead. Imperial Trooper allies gain 20 speed AND also gain 10% turn meter whenever they gain a buff. The comma would separate the speed and TM into two distinct benefits.

We have deviated so off topic, haha.

Oxford Comma: a comma used after the penultimate item in a list of three or more items, before ‘and’ or ‘or.'
    A comma could be appropriate, an Oxford comma would not since the list is only 2 items long.
  • Ultra
    11502 posts Moderator
    Options
    So I was looking at some YT videos and it doesn't look like Imperial Troopers start the battle with 10% TM with pretaunting shoretrooper

I'll try to recreate this on GW but this seems to be a bug because IIRC, Baze Malbus starts with loaded TM against pretaunters due to his unique
  • Options
    Ultra wrote: »
    So I was looking at some YT videos and it doesn't look like Imperial Troopers start the battle with 10% TM with pretaunting shoretrooper

I'll try to recreate this on GW but this seems to be a bug because IIRC, Baze Malbus starts with loaded TM against pretaunters due to his unique

The 10% TM gain is individual, right? So only Shoretrooper should start with TM. Or have I also been interpreting the ability wrong this whole time?
  • Ultra
    11502 posts Moderator
    Options
    Its individual I believe

So I investigated this and its weird, Shore doesn't gain 10% TM at the start of battle which is how its always been. I'm going to submit a bug report related Baze however, because I found something weird about it
  • Options

Just shore would get the 10% TM when he gets the taunt buff. The other troops don’t have a buff yet and do not gain the 10% TM.
  • Options
    They try to prevent the kit from being too verbose and it can get confusing but like Vendi said, its nothing to fret about. A lot of people misinterpret a lot of the kit of many characters
    Jedi Knight Revan leader ability description:
    Leader: GENERAL OF THE OLD REPUBLIC
    Final Text: (ZETA) At the start of battle, Jedi and Old Republic allies gain +5 Speed, +5% Crit Chance and +5% Offense for each Jedi and each Old Republic ally. Jedi allies begin the battle with Tenacity Up for 1 turn. While Revan is in the leader slot and not the ally slot, units are immune to bonus Turn Meter effects from leader abilities until the start of the first turn of battle.
    Whenever a Jedi ally attacks out of turn, they recover 20% of their Max Protection and deal 35% more damage. When a Jedi ally uses a Basic ability on an enemy with Bonus Protection, reduce the target enemy's Max Health by 10% (stacking, doesn't work against Raid Bosses). At the start of each Jedi ally's turn, they gain Strategic Advantage if no ally has Strategic Advantage. A Jedi ally with Strategic Advantage can't be countered.

I think they don’t care about being too verbose.
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    Options
    It's possible that it's simply just an order of operations thing. Shoretrooper gains taunt before the leader ability kicks in.

Wonder if that means his offense wouldn't be reduced by Traya lead without any other buffs coming in outside his turn from the pretaunt (as it's functioning now).