GA matching system REwork!

Prev1
I'm very tired of GA. I'm a long term player that have spent some money in the game occasionally, my GP is about 3.9M and I've been focused since the beginning in unlock as much toons as possible. But my guild can not conquer hSTR untill a few months, so I havnt got Traya and neither Revan. But the system keeps me matching against rivals with Traya/Revan, more than 60 toons in G12 and 20 zetas more than me. As a result, my experience with GA is awful, I always hit the last place despite I'm a very strategic player, but it's impossible to manage to win a battle if my roster has 20 zetas less and 25 G12 toons less without Traya and Revan.
I need to ask to EA for an upgrade in system matching to take into account other things besides GP.

Replies

• Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    A. You describe yourself as a very strategic player, but if your opponents (with same total roster GP) have 20 zetas and 25 g12 characters more than you, they apparently are more strategic minded than you.
    B. Not farming hSTR until recently was a choice. Either a choice made by your guild to not work towards beating hSTR until recently, or a choice made by you to stay in the guild despite having no chance to farm hSTR. I'm sure, you (or your guild) had lots of good reasons to choose this, but nevertheless, it was a choice. You chose to not farm Traya and all that nice gear from hSTR.
    C. Traya has several counters these days. Revan has a few.
    D. I actually do think, that the match-making algorithm takes other things into account. I believe players with strong rosters are deliberately mixed with players of mediocre or weak rosters (with same total GP). I have no proof, but that's my experience so far.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Waqui wrote: »
    A. You describe yourself as a very strategic player, but if your opponents (with same total roster GP) have 20 zetas and 25 g12 characters more than you, they apparently are more strategic minded than you.
    B. Not farming hSTR until recently was a choice. Either a choice made by your guild to not work towards beating hSTR until recently, or a choice made by you to stay in the guild despite having no chance to farm hSTR. I'm sure, you (or your guild) had lots of good reasons to choose this, but nevertheless, it was a choice. You chose to not farm Traya and all that nice gear from hSTR.
    D. I actually do think, that the match-making algorithm takes other things into account. I believe players with strong rosters are deliberately mixed with players of mediocre or weak rosters (with same total GP). I have no proof, but that's my experience so far.

D. isn't that the natural outcome of GP being the only basis of matchmaking and GP not being an accurate measure of a roster's strength?
  • I think the OP is expressing a very common sentiment. There a lot of people out there with dead weight in their roster and struggling in Grand Arena against more efficient players. Until Grand Arena arrived, it didn't matter that much how you farmed or geared your 10th - 20th characters, and now suddenly (in relative terms) it is critical whether you took Farmboy Luke all the way to Gear 12 to unlock CLS, or did it with just the bare minimum.

Older accounts that chose to level characters that seemed cool instead of saving every credit to stay on meta and be ready for the next meta also suffer with dead weight characters inflating their GP. GA is harder on players who weren't that serious for there first few months of play, or chose to experiment with off-meta characters in pre-GA.

It's a flaw in a matching system based on GP. I don't know if there is a better system, but blaming it purely on 'choices' obscures the fact that most of these choices were made before GA was a thing.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    No_Try wrote: »

D. isn't that the natural outcome of GP being the only basis of matchmaking and GP not being an accurate measure of a roster's strength?

If GP was the only basis and the rest was random, we would also see some groups where all 8 players have strong rosters and groups where all 8 players have weak rosters (relative to their GP). I have yet to see this - or to se posts about this. But again: I have no proof - it's just a theory, that strong and weak players are mixed on purpose.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    I think the OP is expressing a very common sentiment. There a lot of people out there with dead weight in their roster and struggling in Grand Arena against more efficient players. Until Grand Arena arrived, it didn't matter that much how you farmed or geared your 10th - 20th characters, and now suddenly (in relative terms) it is critical whether you took Farmboy Luke all the way to Gear 12 to unlock CLS, or did it with just the bare minimum.

It mattered in TW the same way it matters i GA. Many players just didn't realize it until now, where the impact of their fluff hurt themselves and not 'just' the guild.
    It's a flaw in a matching system based on GP. I don't know if there is a better system, but blaming it purely on 'choices' obscures the fact that most of these choices were made before GA was a thing.

I don't see it as a flaw. I see it as a strength, that players, who developed their roster to be strong in TW and GA also benefit from it in GA and not only in TW.
  • Ship power should not be used for matchmaking if there is no ship territory present. And when there is one ship territory ship power should be calculated as (ship territory max possible points in attack and defense)/(total possible points)*ship power, because if my ship power is 40% of my total power its dumb that you get from it only 10-20% points. This way you are penalizing people that invested time and money in ships.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member

If GP was the only basis and the rest was random, we would also see some groups where all 8 players have strong rosters and groups where all 8 players have weak rosters (relative to their GP). I have yet to see this - or to se posts about this. But again: I have no proof - it's just a theory, that strong and weak players are mixed on purpose.

People from those groups are ulikely to post on the forum, so the information we see is probably biased. The ones most likely to post are those experiencing some sort of imbalance.
  • Mawat
    37 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    I do agree with the subject. I think that it's not in the mind of the game to promote low GP.

With this kind of game, the main goal should be "Gotta catch them all".

It's a bit like what happened with the zombie. People who had the normal behaviour of maximising the gear of the zombie, were penalized versus those who played the paper zombie.

So they did a rework because it was not in the spirit of the game to undergear a toon.
  • I never really zeta a toon or gear them up unless they are either 7 stars or meta. So my GP is only 2.2mil Dec 15 shard

Reason for this is because of resource management , there is no way I can survive spending resources on fluff and still drive towards my goals whether that's getting revan or c3po.
    My first round of GA I was up against traya and I'm still to unlock her . Did It matter no I still got the win (magma , thrawn).

My friend who started playing 6-9 months after me has more GP than me now ,all because he likes to gear his toons in preparation for the stars so loads of gear 8,9,10 toons at 3,4 stars .
    If we where to ever get matched the fact I have double the g12 and triple the Zeta's it's a easy win.

Moral of the story is the game is about choices.
    And choosing fluff doesn't benefit anyone in any game mode.
    TB - 200k of fluff or 2 teams to clear the waves
    TW -"" or 2 defence/attack
    Arena - more counters to the meta or more fluff
    GW - enough strong teams for stages or fluff
    GA - do I need say more.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Nauros wrote: »

People from those groups are ulikely to post on the forum, so the information we see is probably biased. The ones most likely to post are those experiencing some sort of imbalance.

Well, I've seen that 'imbalance' in every single GA, but I have yet to post a complaint.

But ok, we can each assume our own things. It's still only assumptions.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Mawat wrote: »

With this kind of game, the main goal should be "Gotta catch them all".

That's one way to play it, yes. One of many.

• Here's my solution, let us bring in only what we want to bring in. If you think you can do it with 75 characters then get matched off those 75 characters, if you want your full roster that's fine too your matchup will reflect it. And for Pete's sake dont factor in ship gp if ships aren't being used. Another alternative would be a character cap, set it at 90 or 100. That way if you have bloat, you dont have to bring it.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    With that 'solution' a player, who selects fewer, stronger characters may still be matched against a player with more, weaker characters, who won't be able to make a dent in the defense. Experienced players could strategize and have easy wins.
  • Tanzos
    219 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    The whole TW argument with fluffy rosters impacting matchmaking isn't really that good of one. Yes the fluff does give you harder matches in theory but:

A: Over 50 people, the opponents' rosters and your own guilds rosters' usually creates an average that is more balanced.

B: The more GP you add to the guild, the better rewards you get. So that fluff actually helps get better rewards.
  • Waqui wrote: »
    I think the OP is expressing a very common sentiment. There a lot of people out there with dead weight in their roster and struggling in Grand Arena against more efficient players. Until Grand Arena arrived, it didn't matter that much how you farmed or geared your 10th - 20th characters, and now suddenly (in relative terms) it is critical whether you took Farmboy Luke all the way to Gear 12 to unlock CLS, or did it with just the bare minimum.

It mattered in TW the same way it matters i GA. Many players just didn't realize it until now, where the impact of their fluff hurt themselves and not 'just' the guild.

I don't see it as a flaw. I see it as a strength, that players, who developed their roster to be strong in TW and GA also benefit from it in GA and not only in TW.

What about TB? These people who are so clever not levelling anything is actively hindering their guilds by not having anything to platoon or combat or deploy. Will they platoon their Thrawn and Shoretrooper and Ventress and have anything left, or are they relying on others to do the job?
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member

Well, I've seen that 'imbalance' in every single GA, but I have yet to post a complaint.

What you would expect to see depends on the distribution, keeping in mind that you only see matchups at your own GP level. There are a lot more players than we see on this forum, and a lot of them don’t play the way we do and their rosters reflect that. If those players outweigh players like you at your GP, you would expect to see a bunch of them in every match. You might also expect there to be matches with only those people, but those won’t include you so you won’t see them (and since most of those people don’t post here you probably wouldn’t see posts about them either). Groupings with only people like you would be much much rarer if you are in, say, the top 5%. And of course you have a very small sample size so far.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member

Define weak and strong. If we define a GP norm, let's say the norm of 4M GP, both strong and weak players will be outliers and leagues made up of only them would rather be a rarity.
  • If you chose you use your resources to upgrade every character you have, it’s only your fault your GP is inflated. Even if you didn’t know about GA in the future, spreading your resources so thinly is something that’s ill advised. For TB for filling platoons, you can have Level 1 7 star characters to fill them if you need to, so I don’t see that as an excuse. For TW Extra fluff doesn’t really help. For GA they’re in a hindrance.

Personally I limit myself to a few characters for gear grinding at a time. So I have a lot of characters sitting at 7 stars waiting until I can gear the whole team together. That’s how you grind a team with synergy and not shoot yourself in the foot with leveled up toons you cannot feasibly use.
  • Tanzos
    219 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    If you chose you use your resources to upgrade every character you have, it’s only your fault your GP is inflated. Even if you didn’t know about GA in the future, spreading your resources so thinly is something that’s ill advised. For TB for filling platoons, you can have Level 1 7 star characters to fill them if you need to, so I don’t see that as an excuse. For TW Extra fluff doesn’t really help. For GA they’re in a hindrance.

Personally I limit myself to a few characters for gear grinding at a time. So I have a lot of characters sitting at 7 stars waiting until I can gear the whole team together. That’s how you grind a team with synergy and not shoot yourself in the foot with leveled up toons you cannot feasibly use.

So then what else do I do with 300 purple ability materials, 66mil credits and 20mil ship credits? Should I just let them sit there unused when I can level characters and ships to help get that final star in TB? Some people literally have an excessive amount of resources on very usable stuff and just sit there with it for no reason but to hoard. You don't need to save 300 purple ability mats for when Revan comes back. Yet here I am with 300 just sitting around because upgrading abilities hurts my GA chances.

If I was spreading myself so "thinly" then why do have so much stuff with nothing else to do with them?

I already have every ship/ character leveled. And I still have an excessive amount of credits. I could easily fully upgrade the abilities of 3-4 characters and still have enough for a new one and zetas. It's not like I'm using omegas on them.
  • Tanzos wrote: »
    If you chose you use your resources to upgrade every character you have, it’s only your fault your GP is inflated. Even if you didn’t know about GA in the future, spreading your resources so thinly is something that’s ill advised. For TB for filling platoons, you can have Level 1 7 star characters to fill them if you need to, so I don’t see that as an excuse. For TW Extra fluff doesn’t really help. For GA they’re in a hindrance.

So then what else do I do with 300 purple ability materials, 66mil credits and 20mil ship credits? Should I just let them sit there unused when I can level characters and ships to help get that final star in TB? Some people literally have an excessive amount of resources on very usable stuff and just sit there with it for no reason but to hoard. You don't need to save 300 purple ability mats for when Revan comes back. Yet here I am with 300 just sitting around because upgrading abilities hurts my GA chances.

If I was spreading myself so "thinly" then why do have so much stuff with nothing else to do with them?

I already have every ship/ character leveled. And I still have an excessive amount of credits. I could easily fully upgrade the abilities of 3-4 characters and still have enough for a new one and zetas. It's not like I'm using omegas on them.

What exactly do you want? No one is saying don't skill up characters, just skill up ones you plan on using in GA or raids.
    Keyboard Warrior on the side of the Moderates
    I play the game for fun, if you don't like content, don't like the game, then why are you here?
  • What the dude above me says. And I’d spend the credits on mods by the way. Guarantee even if you have every character unlocked you have mods on characters you’d like better ones on instead. Level and gear a couple of characters at a time, make sure they’re good ones. No issue
  • Tanzos
    219 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Pentagon wrote: »
    Tanzos wrote: »

What exactly do you want? No one is saying don't skill up characters, just skill up ones you plan on using in GA or raids.

Uh, the quote that I quoted literally said don't skill up your characters that aren't useful. I believe he said:

"... and not shoot yourself in the foot with leveled up toons you cannot feasibly use."

He also criticized leveling characters even before GA was a thing is foolish, which my point is referring to that.

I have all the characters I want skilled up and starred up for Raids and such. It's the ones that are lying around not doing anything that's the problem because you can't take levels and gear away.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Tanzos wrote: »
    The whole TW argument with fluffy rosters impacting matchmaking isn't really that good of one. Yes the fluff does give you harder matches in theory but:

A: Over 50 people, the opponents' rosters and your own guilds rosters' usually creates an average that is more balanced.

B: The more GP you add to the guild, the better rewards you get. So that fluff actually helps get better rewards.

A. Your own personal fluff still hurts your guild in TW, disregarding wether it's just a drop in the ocean or not. As previously stated: Many players simply didn't give that any thought until it hurt themselves personally in GA and not 'just' their guild.

B. This is only relevant if your fluff is what takes your guild to a new reward tier. 180 million GP guilds don't get more zetas than 120 million GP guilds. But still: A 120 million GP guild with a lot of fluff, will still struggle against a 120 million GP guild with no fluff, and most likely loose. It won't win that extra zeta, but instead add a loss to their record.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member

Define weak and strong. If we define a GP norm, let's say the norm of 4M GP, both strong and weak players will be outliers and leagues made up of only them would rather be a rarity.

Good point. However, I personally am close to the 4 million GP milestone. I do have quite a bit of fluff and I clearly experience the difference when up against a 3.9 million GP player with no fluff. I'm sure it's still the same above the 4 million mark.

(Weak / strong = lots of fluff GP / no fluff GP)
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Liath wrote: »

What you would expect to see depends on the distribution, keeping in mind that you only see matchups at your own GP level. There are a lot more players than we see on this forum, and a lot of them don’t play the way we do and their rosters reflect that. If those players outweigh players like you at your GP, you would expect to see a bunch of them in every match. You might also expect there to be matches with only those people, but those won’t include you so you won’t see them (and since most of those people don’t post here you probably wouldn’t see posts about them either). Groupings with only people like you would be much much rarer if you are in, say, the top 5%. And of course you have a very small sample size so far.

Still, my theory is, that it's somehow included in the matchmaking algorithm. Only CG knows for sure - and they probably won't reveal it to us.

I also believe that most players accept the current matchmaking and understand/learned what made their roster stronger or weaker than their opponents.

And yes, it's still only assumptions :-)
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    edited January 2019

Good point. However, I personally am close to the 4 million GP milestone. I do have quite a bit of fluff and I clearly experience the difference when up against a 3.9 million GP player with no fluff. I'm sure it's still the same above the 4 million mark.

(Weak / strong = lots of fluff GP / no fluff GP)

Yeah well, if you define it that way I doubt there'd be a league made of only strong/no fluff since that's rather a rarer choice (even though the leaner partakers did it without exception). Most of us are within the fluff spectrum somewhere. I'm at the very high end fluff as I maxed everything as much as I can, my approx. calculation was 1.28M worth of fluff. However I'm also a G12'er and G12 costs disproportionately low GP, so I don't get matched with more G12s often. All my leagues so far was a mix in the fluff spectrum. I started right under 4M and now at 4.2M. Purely leans should be rarer at this GP, but it can devastating if I encounter one.

Btw I suggest moving right over 4M as that made my leagues noticably easier since people that tries to keep under the line are careful of their every action and more likely to be very competetive players. After a threshold it won't matter ofc.
  • In my experience, I've always been matched with players with the same GP as me (+/-2%), so i don't think anything more than GP has taken into account.

Well, I don't have Traya until now, it was my own choice, but I'm an officer, and I preferred to stay in my old, friendly and non-heroic STR guild and help the rest of my mates to beat the heroic instead of simply change the guild, and I believe that there are many people in the same situation out there.

I don't have Revan because... well I think its not necessary to explain why I don't have Revan....

It's fun to read that collecting and gearing as many toons as possible is useless in all game modes. Again, in my experience, it helped a lot and my guild when the TB arrived, and I do not see the need to explain the reason, it is quite obvious... On the other hand you can also unlock the legendary ones, some of them with the bare minimum, and the additional GP in TW helped a lot to overcome the 120M GP barrier.

Until GA I didn't see any problem with increasing your GP to help your guild, and Paywall Revan was only a problem in TW, but with a good strategy my guild can always get over it. But in GA there are no alternatives, if your opponent paid for a wall, ypu already lost.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Geshtianna wrote: »

What about TB? These people who are so clever not levelling anything is actively hindering their guilds by not having anything to platoon or combat or deploy. Will they platoon their Thrawn and Shoretrooper and Ventress and have anything left, or are they relying on others to do the job?

I never claimed that fluff didn't help your guild in TB. I claim that it always had the same effect in TW matchmaking as it does now in GA matchmaking. All those claims, that fluff GP wasn't an issue until GA was introduced, are quite frankly silky.

• The point is in TW you obtain a reward to your effort to increase your GP, you get more Zetas, in GA doesn't. And in TW you have instruments to overcome a paywall like Revan, in GA doesn't. Maybe I have not expressed myself well in my previous comment and you thought It was a silky claim, my bad.