What is the difference between Tenacity and Potency?

I have looked on so many websites and forums to try to understand this but I still dont get it :(. I have the general idea but thats not good enough, lol

Also, My CLS misses a strike every now and then, I have a feeling it has to do with one of these things, could someone tell me how to fix this?

Thanks!

Replies

• Mucro
    101 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Tenacity gives your character a better chance to resist an enemy effect (doesn't affect damage, only things like debuffs and TM reduction)

Potency gives your character a better chance to apply an effect to an enemy, so you generally want your potency to be higher than your opponent's tenacity, so that you maximize your chances of applying it. Again, it doesn't affect damage, only debuffs.

If your CLS plainly misses, it's because the opponent dodged, and has nothing to do with tenacity/potency, but rather because of either standard dodge chance or because they had buffs that made them dodge (foresight).
  • Ok, thanks! This is very helpful!!
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Some abilities have a chance to inflict a negative effect on the target f.ex. removing some TM or inflicting a debuff. If the effect is produced the attacker's potency is checked against the defender's tenacity to see if the effect is resisted. If both attacker and defender have the same level the chance to resist is MAX((tenacity - potency), 15%).
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Then again some effects cannot be resisted, but this will always be described in the ability description.