State of Ships Arena

Prev13
CaptainRex
2840 posts Member
edited January 2019
Disclosure: I've finished 1st in Fleet every day for a while (Top 3 for a long time), so this isn't a "it's too hard so change it" kind of post. Also, I have exactly 3 good Rebels ships, so if CG listens to me, I'm screwed lol

I'm not a fan of the current Ackbar/Falcon meta. Mace time-out was dumb and annoying, but at least it was a well-developed strategy, and you had to bring a well-developed counter.
However, the Ackbar/Falcon teams are waaaay too RNG dependent imo. Doesn't matter how much better your crew members and ships are, if Falcon doesn't assist a whole lot, you lose. If it assists most of the time, you win. I've lost 4v2 battles, and won 2v4 battles simply because RNG decided I should. I'm not a fan of RNG. I know it's how CG makes all their money, but it's lame when you've crafted this great strategy, or worked hard perfecting your toons, then it all goes to pieces because of "chance".
#CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).

Replies

• Ultra
    11454 posts Moderator
    Yeah, Mace timeout was kitten but it required great investment and utilizing all your ships to beef up your defense. Rebel is just RNG fest to a RNG arena and anyone who whaled on a falcon can climb to the top. With Mace, if you weren't laser focused on ships you wouldn't climb at all
  • Kokie
    1338 posts Member
    Well I've taken first in fleet since almost the day I started through several different metas and I for one love the falcon....sometimes I switch back to thrawn and the bh meta just to change it up but if I leave a fleet on defense it's my go to Home 1 with HT, XB and HMF as my starting 3 and I have not lost a spot on defense since I switched....its not really as rng dependant as you think as even if han fails to assist most of the time it's still simple to roll through a lineup with the buff cleanse from HMF. XB keeps hound taunting and ackbar keeps HT healthy
  • JediKnight_MarkRyan
    749 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    I finish #1 in fleet arena every day. It’s getting harder. I had a huge advantage with a 7* G12.5 Ackbar. Now I’m either going to have to gear up Bistans ship or use Cassian as a reinforcement.

You use Cassian as a reinforcement and you can take out the Falcon easily I’ve Head. I just don’t have that ship developed enough yet. Worst case scenario I settle for second or try a few various ship lineups like using the silencer.

All that to say, it’s not an RNG feat if you have the right tools. If you develop the right tools... like Cassian you can win every time.
  • I finish #1 in fleet arena every day. It’s getting harder. I had a huge advantage with a 7* G12.5 Ackbar. Now I’m either going to have to gear up Bistans ship or use Cassian as a reinforcement.

You use Cassian as a reinforcement and you can take out the Falcon easily I’ve Head. I just don’t have that ship developed enough yet. Worst case scenario I settle for second or try a few various ship lineups like using the silencer.

All that to say, it’s not an RNG feat if you have the right tools. If you develop the right tools... like Cassian you can win every time.

Yeah cassian reinforcement is the go-to tactic. But need to make sure none of your ships have breach first.
  • Sewpot
    2010 posts Member
    I agree. I’ve been 1 since ships launched. Love ships and can say this new meta is horrible. When everyone was Thrawn I was Tarkin. Then Mace became relevant with ani. That setup was the most fun yet.
    Now we went from one extreme to the next. From timeout to over in 30 seconds. I’m one of the few that runs an all rebel squad. Feels weird benching tooth but now tooth is garbage.
    I’m putting my focus on sith now and hope they can be the counter to the rebels. Please!! lol
    Don’t get me wrong I love the falcon and the assists are fun but with no variety in ships it feels like I’m fighting the same person all the time.
    We need 4 new cap ships and 20 new ships just to bring variety to the matchups.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    I finish #1 in fleet arena every day. It’s getting harder. I had a huge advantage with a 7* G12.5 Ackbar. Now I’m either going to have to gear up Bistans ship or use Cassian as a reinforcement.

Yeah cassian reinforcement is the go-to tactic. But need to make sure none of your ships have breach first.

1- first AA move, cleanse breach.
    2- second AA move, cassian reinforcement
    3- kill HMF
    4-????
    5- profit
  • Only if your Home one is slower than your enemy... otherwise I think the best starter is to drop the massive attack and with some luck you kill a ship.
    Kyno wrote: »

3- kill HMF
    4-????
    5- profit

• Roopehunter
    1188 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    gflegui wrote: »
    Only if your Home one is slower than your enemy... otherwise I think the best starter is to drop the massive attack and with some luck you kill a ship.

3- kill HMF
    4-????
    5- profit

Exactly. Cleanse is a terrible idea instead of calling at least 2 assists under ackbar.

I agree with op. Ive always been 1st at po, but it indeed is annoying that some days i win 5 out of 5 , then on another days, lose 2 in a row before winning 3 in a row..
  • gflegui wrote: »
    Only if your Home one is slower than your enemy... otherwise I think the best starter is to drop the massive attack and with some luck you kill a ship.

3- kill HMF
    4-????
    5- profit

The easiest strategy for the longest time is to kill their 3rd ship with the massive attack... then throw in Geo spy with the double taunt reinforcement ability. The taunt lands on their Falcon and you can kill it easily ASAP. That strategy requires killing that first ship ASAP.
  • There seems to be a common thread here...which is 'I used to finish 1st with ease! Now it's slightly harder but I still finish 1st'.

First world problems guys
  • kalidor
    2121 posts Member
    I guess the devs figured we were missing the RNG from the last days of ships 1.0. Why bother with strategy when you can have random outcomes? Will my phantom2 hit for 12k, or set off a triple string of crits totalling 75k? That 50% assist of the falcon brings back that fun factor we all loved from last year. :D
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m

3- kill HMF
    4-????
    5- profit

The easiest strategy for the longest time is to kill their 3rd ship with the massive attack... then throw in Geo spy with the double taunt reinforcement ability. The taunt lands on their Falcon and you can kill it easily ASAP. That strategy requires killing that first ship ASAP.

Tht taunt is a “known bug” if im not wrong
  • Reyalp wrote: »
    There seems to be a common thread here...which is 'I used to finish 1st with ease! Now it's slightly harder but I still finish 1st'.

First world problems guys

Hence my disclaimer. I still finish 1st with ease. It's just the way I finish 1st is the problem.
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • kalidor wrote: »
    I guess the devs figured we were missing the RNG from the last days of ships 1.0. Why bother with strategy when you can have random outcomes? Will my phantom2 hit for 12k, or set off a triple string of crits totalling 75k? That 50% assist of the falcon brings back that fun factor we all loved from last year. :D

Yup. That's why I actually loved the initial release of Ships 2.0. It was so refreshing not to have RNG decide the battle.
  • RNG is just the name of the game though (ofc not literally). I typically finish 1st or top 5 in my shard but sometimes luck just screws you. Last week i lost a match because the enemy TfP dodged 8 times in a row and was denied my #1 finish. It happens.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

3- kill HMF
    4-????
    5- profit

In that cause I will use HT basic to cleanse when his turn comes around, HMF and bistan are usually untargetable by that point.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

3- kill HMF
    4-????
    5- profit

This only works if you capital ship is faster or wins the coin toss.
  • I actually favor using Ackbar’s cleanse. I think it’s a great strategy.

The problem with any of these rebel vs rebel matches really comes with Biggs/Bistan. You can get Bistan putting TL on Falcon and giving Biggs advantage/TM, then Biggs triggering a 5 attack assist on Falcon and he’s gone and the match is over before you even get a turn. It’s all RNG of who the AI targets, who gets the TM from the TL, and who/how many assists you get, as well as whose Bistan goes first if you both have him.

It’s was extremely frustrating for a while. Now that I’m 2 pieces away from maxing Bistan/SRP I always go first, so I pretty much always win, but it’s only a matter of time before others decide to put those G12 pieces/6 dot mods on him too and it’s back to an RNG fest.
  • I find that dodging from breach way more frustrating thatn the 50% assist on Falcon. Enemy ship close to dying? Well let's finish him with an attack from Biggs...nope...aaaaaand he got his comeback.
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • Well it sounds like you want more certainty, so you should adjust your lineup to not be dependent upon randomness.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.

3- kill HMF
    4-????
    5- profit

Tht taunt is a “known bug” if im not wrong

No that's how the reinforcement works.
    Also you're all forgetting that you can just use tie silencer on offense to stun falcon so it can get it's outmaneuver up and then focus fire.
  • Risz
    134 posts Member
    State of ship arena ?

Boring.

It was fun when you could succeed with BH, with Mace, with Empire, with a mix of First order and BH ...

Now it's Millenium falcon or Millenium falcon.

Thank you for the powercreep CG.
  • I actually favor using Ackbar’s cleanse. I think it’s a great strategy.

The problem with any of these rebel vs rebel matches really comes with Biggs/Bistan. You can get Bistan putting TL on Falcon and giving Biggs advantage/TM, then Biggs triggering a 5 attack assist on Falcon and he’s gone and the match is over before you even get a turn. It’s all RNG of who the AI targets, who gets the TM from the TL, and who/how many assists you get, as well as whose Bistan goes first if you both have him.

It’s was extremely frustrating for a while. Now that I’m 2 pieces away from maxing Bistan/SRP I always go first, so I pretty much always win, but it’s only a matter of time before others decide to put those G12 pieces/6 dot mods on him too and it’s back to an RNG fest.

That’s the one nice thing about being in a 11 month old shard... nobody have Bistans ship Powered up higher than G9 Pilots. Probably only 5 people have his ship 7*. Other shards probably a have maxed out everything.
  • Jarvind
    3920 posts Member
    I'll certainly agree on the RNGness of it. I can't really use my Falcon yet as my only good Rebel ship is Biggs - just the two of them isn't enough to warrant using Ackbar, and HMF without a strong rebel fleet is pretty eh. So I'm still using my HT/Silencer/FOTie setup with Vader and Biggs as reinforcements.

90% of the time, I lose one of my ships before the first reinforcement because that Ackbar lolassistfrenzy attack is just so insane. But every once in a while, I completely clean out the other guy's fleet without ever losing anyone. It's weird.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Easy to beat. Just use Silencer to start to stun HMF. And then after u get Phantom in, use Cassians UWing with maxed RI to clear buffs and kill HMF.

Sometimes RNG can screw you, but this lineup works pretty darn well. On defense, go back to annoying HT, HMF, Ghost.

~D
  • State of ship arena:

yp0gnvnte5id.jpg

Whoever sent out the memo that the player base loves really long battles needs to head to the re-education center.

And whoever decided that a 2% published dodge rate should be nowhere near 2% (oh you slippery little tanks you) needs to go to Quality Assurance class.

I'm sorry, but ships has been a disaster for awhile now. We got used to it after 2.0. We got used to after HT, but why does it continue to go in the wrong direction (full-on RNG fest)?

Just.not.fun.
  • The ship arena is a mess! 😡It sholud involve some luck ... not only luck😤!!! Is really unpleasant for a "strategy" game and I hope they will do something about it soon.
  • It also seems that the AI is programmed to target the Falcon whenever it is targetable.

If you have faster attack ships, you can destroy the falcon before anyone else gets a turn. That's pretty much the way to beat it. Cassian coming in to wipe buffs helps too. There are still ways to beat it in arena.

But, yes, winning can really be a coin flip way too often. With 5v5 fleets, there was a lot less RNG and luck involved. There are times when I start a match, look up at the TV, look back down and I've lost a ship and didn't even see why. Other times (against the same exact fleet) I don't lose one ship. That's the biggest problem with fleet arena since the 2.0 idea.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Whatelse73 wrote: »
    It also seems that the AI is programmed to target the Falcon whenever it is targetable.

This has not been my experience. When Cassian is called in and successfully wipes my buffs, I see something else get targeted most of the time (and then breathe a sigh of relief).
  • I started playing just before ships 2.0 came out. I remember everyone complaining that it all came down to RNG since everyone had maxed out ships with the same starters and it was a coin flip who went first. Now if you invest in the right ships/reinforcements you can eliminate that coin flip. If not then yeah it is a coin flip.