New player frustrations and expectations

I'm a relatively new player, I have been playing maybe 3 months. I am not fully F2P but probably don't spend as much as others either. Lately, I've been feeling frustrated with the progress. I've discovered Warrior's pillar system and that has helped some, but honestly the feelings of frustration at limited teams and my ability to participate in raids is starting to wear on me.

I guess I came here to vent some, but to seek some sort of way to help my perception of what realistically where I should be vs where I'm currently at. I have almost a fully 7* Phoenix, most are gear 8, with one at 9. I have an ok BH team and empire team, but nothing great. I have Thrawn but at 5*. I'm currently working on Old Ben, ST Han, Leia, and Farmboy Luke. My total GP is just over 700k.

Am i just having too high of expectations? I appreciate any advice anyone can have. I know the game isn't an immediate gratification, but honestly I've come from other games where my accounts were more powerful and didn't take as long to get there.

Thanks in advance

Replies

• It's a slow grind and expecting to be able to run competent raid teams etc at this point in your SWGOH career without significant investment will be a stretch. I'm guessing you're not level 85 yet? To give you a clue, reaching lvl85 is only considered reaching "Mid Game" territory.

Warriors pillar system is amazing guidance and if you stick to it you'll be in a great position overall. I've been playing for 1yr now and have just gone over 2m GP. Unfortunately I didn't discover the secrets of the game such as farming Phoenix etc until about 3 months in. I started with FO and whilst they've served me well they have also limited my end game potential and now whilst I have CLS, Thrawn and JTR I still feel like I'm playing catch up.

If I could offer you any advice it would be to find a solid, supportive guild. That's step one. (We have opening in ours if you're interested) Step two. FOCUS! I mean hyper focus. Don't try to be all things to all men. Figure out how you want to play this game and work to that goal, the rest will follow.

It's a marathon not a sprint. Just sit back, relax and enjoy.
  • thanks for the reply. I just hit 85 a couple days ago finally. I know i should work on other teams, but Phoenix is my focus still. I'm so guilty of jumping around, even with the pillar system. I can never decide, should I work on BH, or empire, or whomever. I have stayed focused on getting Phoenix to 7* and the ships to 6 or 7* to at least unlock the Chimaera. The main reason i played this game is that Thrawn is my favorite character. I am at least near the end of the Phoenix farm, but i think seeing alot of my guild mates doing massive damage in raids, where i'm placing in the 21-30 range and getting slow rewards is what is frustrating me. They are great, so its not them its just my expectations.

Staying focused on things is my real issue. I've been good about the Phoenix team because Thrawn is such a huge goal for me. But I'm trying to keep some focus after the next time he comes around on what to work on next, because as much as I'd like Thrawn can't solo teams, so I have to keep building.
  • Here's my ally code - 273886363 - Take a look at my roster, this is were you can expect to be after 12 months of genuine FTP. I can easily top Rancor and HAAT, can competently compete in LSTB/DSTB and contribute significantly to TW and other Guild activities.

Be prepared that the grind is never ending and there'll always be a CLS, JTR or Revan to chase and you'll do ok. Personally I like that side of the game.
    Send me an ally request too if you like, always happy to help new(ish) players.
  • Thank you, I'll add you soon in game
  • Thrawn is arguably the best character in the game so well worth the investment. Good thing with Phoenix is they get you Emperor Palpetine too plus you have 2 out of the 5 Jedi required for GM Yoda, one of which (Ezra) is amazing in an end game Revan or even Bastila team. So honestly staying focused on them is no waste. They are rubbish for Raids though so that will still suck for a while.

I know it seems like staying focused on One main/One secondary team is long and boring but it is way quicker and much more efficient than jumping around.

Little tip for Phoenix if you're looking to move away from them asap... Get them all to 7* and all abilities to Lvl7. Omega their uniques and nothing else (other than Ezra if you feel fruity). As for gear..

Hera/Chopper/Sabine(if you have her) - G9
    Kanan/Zeb - G8
    Ezra - G9 (min but well worth taking further)

Anything beyond that is a waste, once you have achieved that you can move on to something else. Empire/BH might be the next best choices. BH for the Credit Heists and Empire for R2 so you can get CLS down the line.

Feel free to drop me a message in game or on here if you need any advice. Good Luck with everything!
  • I sent you an ally invite, thanks again for that offer.

I have Sabine, she is at 5*, Everyone else but Kanan is at 7*, but I only have 8 shards to go to get him to 7*. I'm about to have the Ghost and Phantom to 7* but my other Rebel ships are at 6*, so the odds in them being at 7* when the Chimaera comes around is low, but at least I'll unlock it at 6*

I unlocked R2D2 when the event ended this last time but just at 5*, but i'm working on the rest of that team to get CLS next time he comes around. I love the Empire and Sith characters so I'd definitely work on them when Phoenix is done.

For GMY any recommendations on the 2 extra jedi to farm that would be the easiest and useful to get GMY?
  • DarthJelly
    66 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    GMY is easy to get. I did it with QuiGon, Lumi, Ezra, Kanan and JC. None other than Ezra and Kanan had much love and I unlocked Yoda no sweat.

If you want to build a quick Jedi team for this I would start with Bastila. You already have Old Ben and Ezra ready (once OB is 7*). QuiGon is a quick farm to 7* as is Luminara and Mace but they're not worth anything long term. (Mace may get a rework yet though)

From your roster I'd farm Bastila, Ezra, OB, Jolee and probably QuiGon - who I'd then replace with GMY when you get him. Jolee and Bastila are slow going but very worth it.
  • I did the GMY legendary with Old Ben, Ezra, Qui Gon, Mace, and Luminara, which was my main team for a long time until Bastila entered the game. Then my bastila team included Old Ben, Ezra, Qui Gon, and GMY. Luminara and Mace served their purpose, and sit in my inventory. Once in a while, I'll dust them off for a spare Grand Arena team.
  • I personally think Phoenix is garbage and I dislike Rebels so even now at 85 I haven’t seriously farmed them, and currently I don’t really need Thrawn anyways so I very much differed when I started this game (Fall2016). I actually started farming the Rouge One squad first lol
  • Thanks for all the great input. I'll keep trudging through. I finally got all my Phoenix to 7* so when Thrawn and Emperor roll around again i can get them to 7*. I have enough to get the Chimaera at 5* maybe 6* if I can ever get the shards I need for Home One. I can't seem to beat that mission to get those shards. I have all the other ships at 6* except Ghost but only need 15 shards to go.
  • The raids are mostly about synergies, mechanics and gear but the game overall is about interconnections.

If you neglect one area of the game it will throw another part of the game off, constructing arena teams is top priority, then raid teams, then TB teams and late game is for TW.

As far as time goes it appears that at some point we all get to the part of the game where we can hoard crystals and farm the new characters immediately but that seems like a ways off for a lot of us.
  • ColemanTrebor
    260 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    DarthJelly wrote: »
    GMY is easy to get. I did it with QuiGon, Lumi, Ezra, Kanan and JC. None other than Ezra and Kanan had much love and I unlocked Yoda no sweat.

If you want to build a quick Jedi team for this I would start with Bastila. You already have Old Ben and Ezra ready (once OB is 7*). QuiGon is a quick farm to 7* as is Luminara and Mace but they're not worth anything long term. (Mace may get a rework yet though)

From your roster I'd farm Bastila, Ezra, OB, Jolee and probably QuiGon - who I'd then replace with GMY when you get him. Jolee and Bastila are slow going but very worth it.

You want to unlock GMY as soon as you can, but with Bastila and Jolee it will take a long time. Since you're farming Kanan already, you could choose to go with Mace Windu or JC, who both have some use in ships (some will disagree). This way you only farm one extra character, who is easy to farm, is still a little useful and you can unlock GMY way earlier.
  • I personally think Phoenix is garbage and I dislike Rebels so even now at 85 I haven’t seriously farmed them, and currently I don’t really need Thrawn anyways so I very much differed when I started this game (Fall2016). I actually started farming the Rouge One squad first lol

Thrawn will always be needed for something. Wait, just wait, you’ll regret not farming him sooner.
    Tag me if you reply to my comment so I know I should answer you!😀 My roster: https://swgoh.gg/p/842694912/
  • Salatious_Scrum
    2309 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Tbirds01 wrote: »
    I personally think Phoenix is garbage and I dislike Rebels so even now at 85 I haven’t seriously farmed them, and currently I don’t really need Thrawn anyways so I very much differed when I started this game (Fall2016). I actually started farming the Rouge One squad first lol

Thrawn will always be needed for something. Wait, just wait, you’ll regret not farming him sooner.

The only thing I’d need him for is for a possible GA squad, or for his ship. Otherwise he’d just sit in my inventory.

https://swgoh.gg/p/812755916/characters/
  • Krieg70 wrote: »
    I'm a relatively new player, I have been playing maybe 3 months. I am not fully F2P but probably don't spend as much as others either. Lately, I've been feeling frustrated with the progress. I've discovered Warrior's pillar system and that has helped some, but honestly the feelings of frustration at limited teams and my ability to participate in raids is starting to wear on me.

I guess I came here to vent some, but to seek some sort of way to help my perception of what realistically where I should be vs where I'm currently at. I have almost a fully 7* Phoenix, most are gear 8, with one at 9. I have an ok BH team and empire team, but nothing great. I have Thrawn but at 5*. I'm currently working on Old Ben, ST Han, Leia, and Farmboy Luke. My total GP is just over 700k.

Am i just having too high of expectations? I appreciate any advice anyone can have. I know the game isn't an immediate gratification, but honestly I've come from other games where my accounts were more powerful and didn't take as long to get there.

Thanks in advance

That feeling of frustration you have? It's intentional. Like almost all mobile freemium games, this game purposefully slows advancement to a crawl when compared to traditional games. The primary (perhaps even sole) purpose of the design of this game is to frustrate you into spending. User enjoyment is an afterthought. Either learn to accept the pace, rationalize getting ripped off and spend more, or quit :)