TW/GA: Is posting a blocker squad that most cannot defeat unfair or sound strategy?

Prev1
DuneSeaFarmer
3525 posts Member
edited February 2019
Title says it all.

With the advent of another Revan event, many more will have him, and use him in TW, and GA. He is arguably the most overpowered hero that F2P players can obtain. Okay that helps balance things elsewhere.

BUT, if you face a wall of nothing but Revan Squads, in node 1, north and south, will you just accept the defeat or will you rage?

Be honest. Be fair. And please direct comments to the topic not each other.
Post edited by DuneSeaFarmer on

Replies

• Sound strategy. The goal of the event is to win it.

If you want to be cool, put one easy to beat squad in there so that your opponent can get their quest progression. But their quests aren't your responsibility.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • My comment was mostly about Grand Arena because I immediately forgot the "wall of Revans north and south" after reading it. Derp. Same with Territory Wars, then. The goal is to win it, that's all. Their acheivements and quests aren't your concern--even moreso with Territory Wars, since the achievements and quests say "Win X Wars" and only one side can do that.
  • DuneSeaFarmer
    3525 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    NicWester wrote: »
    Sound strategy. The goal of the event is to win it.

If you want to be cool, put one easy to beat squad in there so that your opponent can get their quest progression. But their quests aren't your responsibility.

Fair enough, now spin forward and your guild, and their guild has north and south, node1 all Revan squads, and from there each guild falls inline. Now what? Ties, all except 2nd place?

I think CG has 3 choices. Nerf, Ban, or limit use. Limit use would be a form of ban but have an explanation that said hero may not be used in all areas? If they did this would it stop you from chasing said hero?
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    If both guilds are able to deploy 40 Revan teams on defense across two territories, then I think at least one of those guilds is also going to be able, with every other team at their disposal, to defeat at least one defender's team.

So I don't think ties will be as big an issue as you're expecting. Also, you may be overestimating how many free players have Revan now. I'm in a guild that's mostly free to play or low-spenders and I think we just got our second Revan. Zaalbar, Jolee, and Bastila are painful grinds. Getting one of them to 7* between Ancient Journies is definitely possible, two is a stretch, all three requires either some spending or a decent reserve of crystals.

For reference: I was grinding for Revan up until the Falcon was starting to get talked about, then I made the decision that since I wasn't going to get Revan the second time around to switch to ships (besides, I like ships!) and have been focusing on the Bounty Hunter ships.

T3-M4: 7*
    Mission: 7*
    Bastila: 6* (65/100)
    Jolee: 3* (25/30)
    Zaalbar: 3* (25/30)
    I would venture to say that I'm probably representative of the average free player.
  • DuneSeaFarmer
    3525 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    If both guilds are able to deploy 40 Revan teams on defense across two territories, then I think at least one of those guilds is also going to be able, with every other team at their disposal, to defeat at least one defender's team.

So I don't think ties will be as big an issue as you're expecting. Also, you may be overestimating how many free players have Revan now. I'm in a guild that's mostly free to play or low-spenders and I think we just got our second Revan. Zaalbar, Jolee, and Bastila are painful grinds. Getting one of them to 7* between Ancient Journies is definitely possible, two is a stretch, all three requires either some spending or a decent reserve of crystals.

Note: I tend to voice questions others have stated elsewhere, so while most here would have no idea I do this, all questions may not be of my own creation :) I like to stimulate conversation, instead of raging, but I have good days and bad lol
  • No worries. Also, I edited a bit into my last post with where my Old Republic folks are, grind-wise.
  • Hexen_Jagar
    639 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    CG should not step in if that happens. It's not their problem. There are a few counters to Revan. Especially this war with all the bonuses.
    After the second round you should prepare for Revan teams, we checked to see how many the other guild had and kept that many counters.

Edit. My guild is only 49m and we got 3 Revan. Our opponent were 68m and they had 2...
  • Back On Topic. Would we as players accept a ruling in TW stopping the overuse of any team in a given node?
  • Back On Topic. Would we as players accept a ruling in TW stopping the overuse of any team in a given node?

No, I hate having toons banned from any node
  • I think a guild vote during the setup phase to ban 2 characters would be simple and effecting in banning the most overused and annoying characters that guilds face at certain points in their overall development. Limited player selected bans would help alleviate that without creating a huge disruption like the massive bans imposed a few TWs back.
  • I think generally, it's better to buff than nerf.

In this case, they've given silly overpowered buffs to jawa's / imperial troopers / ewoks etc. for presumably exactly this reason. If there's a wall of revans, the other teams have the ability to deal with it.

In vanilla events, I think any guild with 40 revans is going to have teams that can beat them.
    Keyboard Warrior on the side of the Moderates
    I play the game for fun, if you don't like content, don't like the game, then why are you here?
  • I wish this were not a solo guild event. In an MMORPG you attack as a group. Here you fight alone and turn in your tally. Failed mechanic in game design, but what can we do..
  • Title says it all. With the advent of another Revan event, many more will have him, and use him in TW, and GA. He is arguably the most overpowered hero that F2P players can obtain. Okay that helps balance things elsewhere. BUT, if you face a wall of nothing but Revan Squads, in node 1, north and south, will you just accept the defeat or will you rage?

Be honest. Be fair. And please direct comments to the topic not each other.

Revan is not ultimate team out there. Ofc its really hard to beat it but its not unbeatable 315++ speed revan teams with jole 250+ are no go for my cls team but most Revan teams under 300 speed i can beat, some easier some harder so pick side of table that has weaker teams and win war because mostly you will slice through their defenses afterwards.
    I am full f2p player and was ready for Revan 30th December, also almost 3 year old account so being representative of a average f2p is easy unlocking revan 2nd time around. Even if he would be baned from tw/ga, and i doubt CG will even think about that to please ppl that didn't unlock him, its awesome team for HSTR and many other aspects of game so yes i would surely farm him even if that was the case.
    Btw i do understand how you feel i was in same boat with RJT back in the days, vets on 16 energy cantina node with really low drop rate was really painfull for player that is not in top 50 arena's. From today's perspective where i'm in top 10 in both arena dailly this was relatively easy farm. Gear on the other hand needed for him is painfull to get :)
  • Folks act like Revan teams are not beatable, when they in fact are beatable :P

There’s no call for it, and frankly, this topic is Pointless. As mentioned goal is to win, not hand out trophy’s to folks cuz you don’t approve of the enemy strategy.

• DuneSeaFarmer
    3525 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Friend from MMORPGS made a good comparison. "You're facing a World Boss with a single squad. How is that fair?"

We are facing this now. Not naming guild etc, not blaming them for making it tough. They'd be fools not to.
    jq308wbh2376.png

Opening turn can wipe most strong squads.
  • Ultra
    11491 posts Moderator

Fair enough, now spin forward and your guild, and their guild has north and south, node1 all Revan squads, and from there each guild falls inline. Now what? Ties, all except 2nd place?

I think CG has 3 choices. Nerf, Ban, or limit use. Limit use would be a form of ban but have an explanation that said hero may not be used in all areas? If they did this would it stop you from chasing said hero?
    Back On Topic. Would we as players accept a ruling in TW stopping the overuse of any team in a given node?
    Ironic.

The guy going on and bumping the thread for weeks and weeks about how we shouldn't ban toons blah blah blah is the first one to suggest we should ban toons
  • Ultra wrote: »

Back On Topic. Would we as players accept a ruling in TW stopping the overuse of any team in a given node?
    Ironic.

The guy going on and bumping the thread for weeks and weeks about how we shouldn't ban toons blah blah blah is the first one to suggest we should ban toons

Since you mentioned it . . Right!
  • DuneSeaFarmer
    3525 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    To answer the trolling, yes I have done as you snarkily stated. I have asked for others to voice their ideas on the subject. It's called conversation.
  • Lol trolling huh, spade a spade lad, spade a spade.

There is no justifiable reason to ask for a forced reduction in a squad or char deployment capability , other then simply being whiny
  • Ultra
    11491 posts Moderator
    To answer the trolling, yes I have done as you snarkily stated. I have asked for others to voice their ideas on the subject. It's called conversation.
    Here's an option you haven't bought up or considered: Get Good

This was the same thing everyone asked back when some guilds were able to obtain Traya faster than others and the answer back then was

Git Gud

and it worked! Wow what a surprise

If you don' t have 50 Revans than save whatever Revans you have for offense and work on some counters (zFinn or CLS/Chewbacca/C3PO). Traya also beats Revan which you should have 50 of at this point. One guild member with Jedi Knight Revan can potentially take down 3 Revan teams. Other members have the potential to take down 2. If they can't, they need to work on it

This is the same question that gets bought up when there is a new meta toon (wall of 50 nests omg!) and honestly, there is no unbeatable team in this game. If you are bad at strategy and rely on the auto button teams than I don't know what to tell ya

Like you said, F2P can obtain him so its not a paywall toon at this point and not a dilemma
  • CLS, Traya, NS can all fairly easily beat a Revan on defense if the squads are on similar footing for mods. You need to make sure you’re not just preloading these teams TM with failed attacks. At the very worst you should be able to end the fight with one unit dead and someone else can clean it up from there.

If you’re concerned about facing Revans in TW/GA you should start working up the counters that have been beating these teams reliably already.
  • Is it fair strategy to use your best teams on defense? Yes. Is it sound strategy to put teams on defense that the other guild will struggle with? Yes. The end.
  • My revan team only survived 5 battles... My arena team drops all the time. I face ns squads that give me problems (I have g12 revan with +110 speed, g11 zYoda and zJolee, g10 bast, g9 6* go vs full g12 full zeta ns it's not an auto victory, I know, shocking)

Revan hasn't broken the game.
  • DuneSeaFarmer
    3525 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Voiced elsewhere: "CG banned Revan (and others as a smoke screen to their true purpose) which proves beyond a shadow of a doubt they know he is OP. And you spoke against banning's? " I replied "Banning the hero is not fair in that players obtained him in good faith, thinking he would be useful in all areas. How is banning him fair?". Answer "So you want him nerfed?" reply "I have no easy answer other than to say the current in game practice of constantly adding OP heroes to counter an existing meta is reaching critical mass and cannot be stopped or reversed as it is CG's main revenue stream".

Hopefully this clarifies my stance elsewhere about Revan.
  • I don’t think it’s feasible to ask someone that three Zetaed their Revan and likely geared their supporting cast to ban a team from defense.

We faced a Revan wall in bottom and top front zones and we still cleared them, even with some Revans in defense. You have to have your guild build Revan counters. Clearly, Revan isn’t going away. Lol
  • This sort of question is exactly the thought behind changing TW's and everyone raged and whined about refunds. Unfortunately it is a completely sound strategy for the way things are.